Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Using Scratch Amp with Ableton

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
Simon Stokes 4:33 PM - 11 February, 2008
Hi guys,

I have been DJing for many many years but I am wanting to get into using Serato. I have just purchased a laptop, but I am primarily using that to play live in clubs. I will be running several synths into a mixer, then the mixer into my laptop and Ableton, then the output of Ableton back out to the club's PA.

I am a bit confused as to whether the Scratch Amp can double as the audio interface I need to run the output of my mixer into the laptop and through Ableton.

Could you confirm if this is possible, or will I have to get a seperate audio interface (any suggestions for these?).

Thanks a lot, I'm hoping you are going to tell me I can use the scratch amp for this so it gives me an excuse to buy it and hopefully will result in less grief from my other half! :)

Cheers,

Simon
Logisticalstyles 5:03 PM - 11 February, 2008
I don't think that would work. The SL1 isn't really an amp. Maybe it could work if you had a 57. I'm just guessing about the 57 as I don't have one.
Konix 5:14 PM - 11 February, 2008
The SL1 does have ASIO drivers to be used as a "normal" soundcard in Ableton or other programs (but no CoreAudio for Macs), but it cannot be used as an ASIO soundcard and as SSL's soundcard at the same time. And to be honest, the ASIO drivers aren't that great and you'd be better off with another external soundcard for Ableton.
Simon Stokes 5:49 PM - 11 February, 2008
Thanks for the responses. Is anybody else using the SL1 as their sound card with Ableton? Even if they ASIO drivers aren't perfect I would much rather buy this alone rather than a sound card and not be able to afford SSL as well. :)

Then again, if they are useless and I can't rely on them live...that's another story! Thanks in advance. By the way, I don't need to run SSL and Ableton at the same time, just trying to kill two birds with one stone. :)
nobspangle 6:05 PM - 11 February, 2008
I would have thought that the SL 1 would be quite good as an output for Ableton. It would give you 4 mono channels. I think most of the issues people have with the ASIO drivers surround their use for recording. The problem being that the SL 1 was never designed with this is mind.
Simon Stokes 7:28 PM - 11 February, 2008
The thing is, while I'm sure the output will be great, I will be needing to run one or two inputs into the laptop as well as I have external synths that Ableton will be triggering via MIDI.

I just can't find any information on the net about people who have been using the SL1 as a sound card as well as for SSL! Any help is much appreciated... :)
Simon Stokes 10:05 PM - 11 February, 2008
Sorry for bumping... :)

Does anyone use their SL1 as a sound card? If so, I am interested in the recording quality through the inputs, as well as stability for live use with Ableton.

Many thanks,

Simon
Rane
Majors 4:30 PM - 26 February, 2008
Depends on what you're recording I suppose. It works great for an audio interface with RCA inputs.
Simon Stokes 6:59 PM - 26 February, 2008
Thanks for getting back to me man, I actually ended up opting for Traktor Scratch as it had more of the features I needed for production.

Thanks a lot!

S