DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

do people really care?

Jader 2:00 AM - 24 June, 2012
we had a guest dj before my set at the bar i play at. he didn't really mix in the sense of matching beats. actually, most of his mixes were train wrecks. you know what i mean, like shoes in the dryer. when he would scratch in his tracks, his counts were off measure.

despite all this, people really didn't seem to care. they still danced. they still put their hands up in the air. they still were buying drinks.

i really felt that i was the only one that cared about how the songs were mixed together, and i probably was. no one was looking around and going "what the heck is this guy doing lol?"

the whole thing really just cemented what i have been thinking for a long time now. selection is everything. despite his lack of skills in mixing, his song selection was decent. i think that's what saved him.
aslcharger08 3:48 AM - 24 June, 2012
As it's said many times, the only people caring how the DJ mixes is other DJ's......I used to hit the clubs all the time before spinning and I never once said to myself, man that mix in was horrible! In fact now it's hard to enjoy a time at a club because even when I don't try to listen to the technical side of it I still find myself doing so.

Lol you could play songs from an ipod and it would still work.....now will you get the same reaction as a DJ that is putting in great build ups, loops and drops? Probably not but with the right songs people will still get drunk and have a good time because in the end the last thing they care about is how technical and smoothe DJ was.
MusicMeister 4:12 AM - 24 June, 2012
No, they don't. And it's our own fault...
DJ'Que 4:29 AM - 24 June, 2012
they care about how cheap the dj is. you can play the hottest songs on your phone and they wont care.
aslcharger08 1:42 PM - 24 June, 2012
True story! I just got into MN from CA after getting out of the military and my equipment didn't get here in time for the wedding gig I had booked so I had to rent everything!

Only thing I had that was mine was my laptop and music. I used my VDJ Pro software while hooked up to an 8 channel mixer with speakers, amp and lighting. No controller so here I am feeling like the worlds worst DJ in the world by fading in/out songs by the click of my Mac nobody cared!
djsmuve415 5:18 PM - 24 June, 2012
Quote:
now it's hard to enjoy a time at a club because even when I don't try to listen to the technical side of it I still find myself doing so.

^This.... I won't even go out anymore if I'm not working, because I got tired of fucking cringing at every damn mix. Occupational hazard.
aslcharger08 6:07 PM - 24 June, 2012
I just drink more and go with it! Focus on the chicks and not the music lol
skinnyguy 6:11 PM - 24 June, 2012
They just wanna hear their song. Now, if not next.
ced_so_thoed 7:14 PM - 24 June, 2012
ay
intoxicated monkey sheep
yep
DJ Remy USA 1:17 AM - 25 June, 2012
Actually people do care they comment because majority of their club experience ha been with shit DJs. No a bad DJ won't stop people from having a good time but it damn won't create any memorable nights.

Here's the thing clubs want music cheap and fast skill means nothing. They actually prefer you have no skill and experience so they can manipulate you pay and song selection. For example last night the bar manager told me to keep it at 130bpm all night when I would deviate he would throw a fit.

People value great entertainment I get love after every performance because I feel I give the people something very special that no mindless sheep DJ can give. Im ways asked if I will be back next week by the crowd and I tell them no due to night life politics

I'm short they care rock your sets do your best make the people dance don't worry about what other DJs are doing unless they are better than you.
DJ Remy USA 1:18 AM - 25 June, 2012
iPhone type fail
DJ Tracktion 1:50 AM - 25 June, 2012
Quote:
despite all this, people really didn't seem to care. they still danced. they still put their hands up in the air. they still were buying drinks.

Its probably cause they are the 50 ppl he had to bring with him to get the gig...
MusicMeister 7:03 PM - 25 June, 2012
Want a shocker?

Search twitter on any Friday or Saturday night....

For every DJ are talking about how they're 'rocking' the party there are at least 50 or 100 people talking about how sucky the DJ is.
Mr. Goodkat 2:56 AM - 26 June, 2012
what ive found:

if you play the right music for the right place, your fine with out mixing unless you are at a huge club in a major market, and even then if you drop right you could probably get by.

Ive also noticed at times it pays not to mix. some people do not want to hear a 'creative dj set' they want the majority of every pop song intros/outros and such.

Nowdays, most people are going to the venue and not to hear the mix, so thats the main problem. if you go to a bar/lounge/club where the music is showcased, people will notice.