DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

I need Same Volume on all my music!!!!

DjShadow734 12:40 AM - 20 June, 2012
I need all my tracks to play @ the same volume. Whats the best way to make this happen without adjusting volume on every song before i play it????
Dj-M.Bezzle 12:44 AM - 20 June, 2012
see those little levers on your mixer, those are called volume faders, and that knob to your right, master volume, and the knobs on top are called gain now what your gonna do it.....
Dj-M.Bezzle 12:44 AM - 20 June, 2012
(psss or you can turn on your autogain in settings before you analize files)
DJ SPAIR 5:49 AM - 20 June, 2012
Dj Shadow huh? Must commend you on such an original name.
s3kn0tr0n1c 8:45 AM - 20 June, 2012
Quote:
I need all my tracks to play @ the same volume. Whats the best way to make this happen without adjusting volume on every song before i play it????

Using SL's autogain will get you close....from there only minor adjustments will be needed.

Also ---- If you adjust track gain(after autogain) within SL it will save it with track for future ;)
DJRemixEnt 1:53 PM - 20 June, 2012
use Autogain in SSL when you analyze. i have my tracks to autogain to 90 db (use whater ever db seeting that is gonna sound the best with out clipping the tracks)

then use your channel meters on your mixer , try to keep them in the green with only one or two yellow led's peaking.

if you bring your track in and it goes beyond the one or two yellow led's then for the most part, you know it's higher than the track u are currently playing. use your gain to bring it down untill the meters of the new song are matched to the song currently playing.

then for fine tuning, use your 3 band eq on your mixer.

you should be good after this.
DjShadow734 3:59 AM - 25 June, 2012
Thanx some of my tracks are way not close to the same volume an the auto gain isnt doing the trick. I thought there was another program that might do the same thing.
O.B.1 6:31 AM - 25 June, 2012
just curious, where did you acquire the majority of the songs that are too quiet?
dj_soo 8:15 AM - 25 June, 2012
That's wgat gain knobs are for
s3kn0tr0n1c 8:54 AM - 25 June, 2012
Quote:
Thanx some of my tracks are way not close to the same volume an the auto gain isnt doing the trick. I thought there was another program that might do the same thing.

In that case trim the gain in SL. It wil now remember this setting next time you load track.
MadTwo 9:21 AM - 25 June, 2012
Another auto gain option is a program called mp3gain. Not sure how popular it is but I've used it before and I like it because if you don't like the results you can remove the gain with the click of a button.
Nicky Blunt 10:15 AM - 25 June, 2012
wow dj shadow, wish i'd thought of that. & I bet some random totally unknown guy out in LA called Josh prob wishes YOU HADN'T.

djshadow.com/about

Way less than cool! on a scale of 1-10

your about here fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net
DJMark 10:49 AM - 25 June, 2012
Quote:
just curious, where did you acquire the majority of the songs that are too quiet?

Very good/interesting question. LOL.

DJ Shadow. Double LOL. I'm Danny Tenaglia, how are ya?
Evon 12:19 PM - 25 June, 2012
Nicky Blunt 9:32 PM - 27 June, 2012
Quote:
I'm Danny Tenaglia, how are ya?

made me LOLOLOLOL
ced_so_thoed 9:47 PM - 27 June, 2012
Quote:

ay
www.threadbombing.com
yep
DjShadow734 11:07 PM - 30 June, 2012
This is directed to Nicky Blunt. You are not the only one that has the name but i guess your confused and should look beyond your ego I've been Djing for 40yrs. When I,m asking for help if you cant provide a positive or productive responsive answer don't response. I come here to conduct business not see who has the biggest Body part. I dont know why you chose me to #$& with but please stop smoking your last name and stay out of my Discussions. For the serious Jocks trying to help i downloaded the tracks from UTUBE try to get some free music.
DJ Dub Cowboy 12:51 AM - 1 July, 2012
well a bunch of people will give you shit for that.

as a veteran DJ you should be a part of a digital music pool. I have been a member of franchise record pool for 5+ years and I highly recommend them for filling in the gaps with older music. They get all the new stuff too and have videos.

If I can't get a song from there, I go to iTunes or amazon and pay the price for quality music.

at the very least google a high quality version of the song you are looking for

in my experience, paying for quality more than makes up for the time you have to spend correcting shitty files.
DJRemixEnt 12:52 AM - 1 July, 2012
Askin how to adjust volume on tracks doesn't usually come from cats with 40 yrs experience
djvtyme85 1:58 AM - 1 July, 2012
Quote:
Askin how to adjust volume on tracks doesn't usually come from cats with 40 yrs experience

+1
djpuma_gemini 2:57 AM - 1 July, 2012
actually nicky blunt isn't about blunts, it's about him being straight to the point, which he did in his post.

and yes autogain should do the trick, if not get new sources for files.
MPC O.G. 3:21 AM - 1 July, 2012

Price? couldnt find one. This will come in handy when I get my Mac and move my music collection.
DJ Dub Cowboy 4:07 AM - 1 July, 2012
$98
DJMark 6:34 AM - 1 July, 2012
Been DJ-ing for 40 years and thinks YouTube rips are an acceptable source of music?

Does Not Compute.

-DT
DJMark 6:55 AM - 1 July, 2012
Quote:

Price? couldnt find one. This will come in handy when I get my Mac and move my music collection.

Audio processing (automated or otherwise) is really not a substitute for good-quality source audio.

"Garbage In, Sewage Out".

I tried that Platinum Notes software on some well-mastered audio files a few years back, and was not impressed with the results at all. I thought it made things sound needlessly shittier (over compressed).

The other problem with any processing (Platinum Notes or whatever else) is that applying it to lossy-encoded files will give you unavoidable degradation when its re-encoded. The only way to avoid that would be to save the processed file as a WAV or AIFF, or re-encode as lossless.
O.B.1 10:30 AM - 1 July, 2012
I had my suspicions, but I didn't think you'd actually 'fess up to the illegal downloading of poor quality youtube songs... (which, by the way is frowned upon for many reasons)
Do yourself a favor and pay a little bit for good quality content.
MPC O.G. 5:41 PM - 1 July, 2012
@DJMark. Thanks for the info. I guess I will Ableton it out and remaster every song myself. There are a few songs I need to mess with, Run D.M.C. first 2 albums. Rick Rubin is a genius but he mastered those albums for a rock audience. I gots to put the bottom back in it. B.T.W. $98 isn't bad, especially for the cheapskates and posers..................
popnwave 6:57 PM - 1 July, 2012
Honestly Plantinum Notes will help you get older stuff up to snuff with the shit that comes out these days as part of the "loudness war":

en.wikipedia.org

It's a shame we have taken to the distortion but the masses are tuned to what the engineers have fed them for a few years now.
Maskrider 8:05 PM - 1 July, 2012
for upcoming Djs quality is the only thing you need.
deezlee 8:46 PM - 1 July, 2012
I'd rather just adjust the gain and eq live when needed. Re-encoding the song by editing it will probably lower the sonic quality of the file, which might not be very noticable at home, but will make a difference on a big system.
dj_soo 11:11 PM - 1 July, 2012
Quote:
@DJMark. Thanks for the info. I guess I will Ableton it out and remaster every song myself. There are a few songs I need to mess with, Run D.M.C. first 2 albums. Rick Rubin is a genius but he mastered those albums for a rock audience. I gots to put the bottom back in it. B.T.W. $98 isn't bad, especially for the cheapskates and posers..................

that's not going to help either you're just compressing compressed files and just adding more destructive elements to the compressed and mastered track.
MPC O.G. 12:23 AM - 2 July, 2012
Not going to compress anything. Just eq some joints a little.
dj_soo 12:32 AM - 2 July, 2012
Isn't that what those little knobs on your mixer is for?
dj_soo 12:34 AM - 2 July, 2012
Quote:
Honestly Plantinum Notes will help you get older stuff up to snuff with the shit that comes out these days as part of the "loudness war":

en.wikipedia.org

It's a shame we have taken to the distortion but the masses are tuned to what the engineers have fed them for a few years now.

This is entirely the fault of a combination of mp3s beingthe standard now and the fact that the masses are content to listen to their music in shitty ipod earbuds, laptop speakers, and shitty computer speakers. I'm still amazed how many people are perfectly fine with using those shit ipod earbuds...
Nicky Blunt 12:40 AM - 2 July, 2012
Quote:
This is directed to Nicky Blunt. You are not the only one that has the name but i guess your confused and should look beyond your ego I've been Djing for 40yrs. When I,m asking for help if you cant provide a positive or productive responsive answer don't response. I come here to conduct business not see who has the biggest Body part. I dont know why you chose me to #$& with but please stop smoking your last name and stay out of my Discussions. For the serious Jocks trying to help i downloaded the tracks from UTUBE try to get some free music.

I dont even know wher the fuck to begin!!!! Hahahaha

Ok, so u have been dj'ing forty years, kool,
not managed to sort your levels out? How did u manage on 8 traks? Let alone vinyl.

Serious Jocks download they sht from youtube? Wow i better step my game up! I mean paying for record pools all this time. WTF was I thinking? 92 kbps files from youtube are clearly the way to go. IF YOUR A SERIOUS JOCK.

Hahahahahahaha, it's laughable
Nicky Blunt 12:42 AM - 2 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

+1

This!

Quote:
actually nicky blunt isn't about blunts, it's about him being straight to the point, which he did in his post.

This!

LMAO as Johnny M would say

Cat's just be making shit up in here!
Nicky Blunt 12:47 AM - 2 July, 2012
funny how after being called out about his 40 years experiance, he is remarkably quiet.
DJRemixEnt 2:59 AM - 2 July, 2012
Quote:
funny how after being called out about his 40 years experiance, he is remarkably quiet.

these guys get called out for bullshittin ppl and it nothin but crickets and tumbleweeds...lol
DJMark 7:23 AM - 2 July, 2012
Maybe he was one of those "DJ's" that used to play recorded-off-the-radio cassettes instead of buying records.

There was actually an article in one of the trade publications about that some quarter-century ago...the complaint then was such "DJ's" undercutting the more legitimate DJ's for gigs. Same as it ever was...
DJ Benny B NYC 3:21 PM - 2 July, 2012
didnt read this whole thread, but autogain doesnt work about every third song. i was relying on it for a while but i started to notice my levels were off. so now im doing both, autogain and manually
ced_so_thoed 4:13 PM - 2 July, 2012
ay
damn *smh with the stank face* just damn
yep
DJRemixEnt 6:01 PM - 2 July, 2012
Quote:
ay
damn *smh with the stank face* just damn
yep

lol
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:09 PM - 2 July, 2012
Quote:

I thought it was cause he wasnt very sharp lol
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:10 PM - 2 July, 2012
[Quote] This is directed to Nicky Blunt. You are not the only one that has the name 

I call bs lol
echa1945mf 7:16 PM - 2 July, 2012
so ? is now ok if i change my name to Jazzy jeffs ?
DjShadow734 4:03 AM - 4 July, 2012
Thanks for all the input ive tried Mp3gain in the past an was not impressed it over compressed some of my music. Man i used the auto gain an its about as good as it gonna get with the put my finger on the volume knob as we all do. I get into a set and sometimes want to rush into free style trying new things on the fly and would rather not play with the EQ etc. I have a few sources that i pay for music, The UTUBE music is for a few songs that i have just grabbed.
DJMark 5:52 AM - 4 July, 2012
Confused by the above. Mp3gain shouldn't be compressing anything...it just sets a playback gain level.

Though if you set it wrong I guess the resulting clipping could sound "compressed".
Nicky Blunt 6:39 AM - 4 July, 2012
still waiting on a response to how u hav e 40 years of experiance in the game & dont know how to use a gain knob?
DJBurner 7:03 AM - 4 July, 2012
Some tracks you acquire from different sources have been recorded at widely different levels. I have experienced this problem when in auto play mode. Of course if you are at the unit you can adjust the gain but there is still that brief moment at the beginning of the track that can blast too loud. If analysing doesnt work then you can use mp3 editing software to adjust the songs level.
DJRemixEnt 1:01 PM - 4 July, 2012
Quote:
still waiting on a response to how u hav e 40 years of experiance in the game & dont know how to use a gain knob?

40 yrs experience... Hmmmmmmm

Most ppl I know started djing btwn the ages of 15 and 25 so that prolly puts u at the age of 55-65 yrs old.

I call bullshit man
RogerRabbit 6:04 PM - 4 July, 2012
Quote:
I call bullshit man

He already proved his maturity .... while mega dissing all antagonists in the process...
s3kn0tr0n1c 7:07 PM - 4 July, 2012
you dont have to process your audio(if using SL)...use autogain then if autogain gets it a little wrong(often happens) then manually adjust the tracks gain in software to desired level...its then saved for next use...
the_black_one 7:29 PM - 4 July, 2012
This is the kind of shit im talking about!!! FUCK..... remember when the records had all different gain! you had to use your mixers levels to the gain that you needed... its called having fucking common sense!!!

Your looking for a program that YOU as a human can perform in a mill-a-second!!!! GTFO

lazy ass!!!
Nicky Blunt 7:43 PM - 4 July, 2012
Quote:
This is the kind of shit im talking about!!! FUCK..... remember when the records had all different gain! you had to use your mixers levels to the gain that you needed... its called having fucking common sense!!!

Your looking for a program that YOU as a human can perform in a mill-a-second!!!! GTFO

lazy ass!!!

Evidently it's not just me?
DJ Reflex 7:46 AM - 5 July, 2012
I personally am too lazy to turn any knobs on my mixer. If I can't find a computer program that does everything for me, then I'm out! None of this manual labor stuff - that's for noobs!
Nicky Blunt 6:00 PM - 5 July, 2012
Quote:
I personally am too lazy to turn any knobs on my mixer. If I can't find a computer program that does everything for me, then I'm out! None of this manual labor stuff - that's for noobs!

LOL
DjShadow734 4:37 PM - 6 July, 2012
LOL @ DJ Reflex. I'm not wasting my time with the negative comments any more. I just wanted to get some help. I see now why Djs are under cutting each other and selling 5 Dollar cds. The business is messed up cause we can't talk to each other and get along. @ Dj Mark The MP3 Gain made my music sound like it was going in and out. It pulled back the dynamics and made the low parts louder. Thanks but i'm out of this discussion.
Dj Shamann 8:50 PM - 6 July, 2012
Quote:
The business is messed up cause we can't talk to each other and get along.

Actually no, the business is messed up because DJs such as yourself with "40 years experience" promote to the younger DJs that it's okay to cut corners by downloading music from Youtube, and that there's no need to learn even the most fundamental parts of mixing such as adjusting your own levels when a program can do it for you.

It's hilarious when someone as ignorant such as yourself comes to a forum, says something stupid, gets blasted for it and tries to turn it around on everyone else with "no wonder the business is messed up"

Yeah, it's everybody else that's wrong, not you.
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:53 PM - 6 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
The business is messed up cause we can't talk to each other and get along.

Actually no, the business is messed up because DJs such as yourself with "40 years experience" promote to the younger DJs that it's okay to cut corners by downloading music from Youtube, and that there's no need to learn even the most fundamental parts of mixing such as adjusting your own levels when a program can do it for you.

It's hilarious when someone as ignorant such as yourself comes to a forum, says something stupid, gets blasted for it and tries to turn it around on everyone else with "no wonder the business is messed up"

Yeah, it's everybody else that's wrong, not you.

Aye
YEP!!!
d:raf 9:25 PM - 6 July, 2012
Maybe he meant 40 weeks...
ced_so_thoed 9:27 PM - 6 July, 2012
ay
DJ-WhoRU's daddy
yep
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:35 PM - 6 July, 2012
Quote:
ay
DJ-WhoRU's daddy
yep

ROTFL
Nicky Blunt 9:50 AM - 7 July, 2012
hahahaha this thread delivers!!!!

LOL @ him ignoring his haters. So he can fix his shitty youtube rips! hahahaha shit is hilarious.
OosoDJD 1:34 PM - 7 July, 2012
I Do Mine Manually
djdalite 4:53 PM - 7 July, 2012
your doin it all wrong - record that shit with your iphone from the radio then upload to serato, the quality is much better than youtube
Nicky Blunt 7:42 PM - 7 July, 2012
Quote:
your doin it all wrong - record that shit with your iphone from the radio then upload to serato, the quality is much better than youtube

hahaha its how all the pro's do it.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:51 PM - 7 July, 2012
Speaking of youtube

burnabrain.s3.amazonaws.com
Discobee 4:09 PM - 9 July, 2012
I just tried Googling UTUBE, I only got YouTube in the results? Is that a good site to download free music?
DJRemixEnt 11:56 PM - 9 July, 2012
Quote:
I just tried Googling UTUBE, I only got YouTube in the results? Is that a good site to download free music?

u gotta go to fallopiantube... all the levels are the same...no need to fuck with gains...

and u know this...mannnnnnnn! *in chris tucker voice*
DjShadow734 10:01 PM - 19 October, 2012
Thanks im going there now.
djnak 10:17 PM - 19 October, 2012
Quote:
Thanks im going there now.

Did u find it?
DjShadow734 10:22 PM - 19 October, 2012
Sorry I'm Not trying to get in no beefs i've had enough bad luck. Just trying to get well...
DJ DisGrace 4:41 AM - 20 October, 2012
LOL at reviving a thread where you were taking a beating!

How did I miss this?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:54 PM - 20 October, 2012
Quote:

LMAO as Johnny M would say

Cat's just be making shit up in here!

You already know....
DjShadow734 12:33 AM - 21 October, 2012
VideoToolz has been down for months now. Any suggestions to a good site to join another pool to get Music and Vidz?
the_black_one 2:53 AM - 21 October, 2012
Smash vids....
DjShadow734 3:46 AM - 21 October, 2012
Checked out the site it's gonna be a bit pricier than I expected. I'm not working now so is there anything cheaper or is that gonna be the going price. Those Credits are a bummer.
DjShadow734 4:14 AM - 21 October, 2012
Franchise I heard has a better package. $19.99 membership monthly then at the least 30.00 is too much for me.
monchi 5:08 AM - 21 October, 2012
30.00 too much, shit I remember spending 400-500 bucks on records every month and that was at a minimum, GTFOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
the_black_one 5:11 AM - 21 October, 2012
Quote:
30.00 too much, shit I remember spending 400-500 bucks on records every month and that was at a minimum, GTFOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
DJ DisGrace 5:13 AM - 21 October, 2012
I think we found the real TROLL
DjShadow734 5:32 AM - 21 October, 2012
I,m starting from scratch an due to a recient Motorcycle accident not working an don't know when I will get any assistance. I'm trying to get the most bang for my dollar @ this point I know you get what you pay for but I still got to feed the kids.
ced_so_thoed 12:11 AM - 22 October, 2012
ay
sorry to hear about your troubles. Hit djservicepack.com
yep
DjShadow734 7:11 PM - 22 October, 2012
Thanks right now any help is appreciated. Im using it......
DJ DisGrace 10:38 PM - 22 October, 2012
check out:

www.digiwaxx.com and
whitelabel.net

for some free decent quality (digiwaxx) and great quality (whitelabel) music

also www.vprecords-promo.com for some free reggae

These sites may not get you all the tracks you need, but a free source is always a good source