DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

How much do I charge for this club job?

DJ Brian Austin 4:06 PM - 8 February, 2008
Ok, so I went last week for their opening and got 200..sounds ok..however I got there at 9:30, setup for 10..and when I say setup, 4 speakers, sub, stands, 2 amps, cd decks, mixer, the whole 9....and its from 10pm-4am...now the first time I went I assumed they closed at 2 and had more of a system in place. They want me back this weekend and I told the guy I have to get more money....Any suggestions????

They do charge a 5 dollar cover. Friday nite was bumping (100 people) although Saturday was dead (30 people)

Whats fair? They are new and I want to keep doing it, but...I gotta eat.
De LA 4:11 PM - 8 February, 2008
if its from 10-4 and you have to bring everything...AT LEAST $600.
djbriguy 4:17 PM - 8 February, 2008
You could charge a flat $250 and then say you want $2.00 from ever $5.00 cover until the word is spread. Then go to a flat fee.

Bringing an entire setup is essentially a mobile gig... Call some other local dj's and get some estimates ready to prove to this owner that you're the cheapest.
dj shadow from detroit 4:22 PM - 8 February, 2008
atleast $600.00 :)
DJ Brian Austin 5:06 PM - 8 February, 2008
Yeah, I do a ton of mobile jobs in this area and I typically charge 500 for a 4 hour party. Im thinking of saying like 400 for now plus 2$ for each person like BriGuy suggested.

I want to get paid if they are making money, but if they are losing, I can be understanding (for now)....plus the guys running it are a "promotions" company and have potential to hire me a lot more.
djbriguy 5:14 PM - 8 February, 2008
Ya just be cool with them to work something out. Make them understand that a $200 rate is decent.... for DJS who DONT HAVE TO BRING THE ENTIRE SETUP!
djbriguy 5:15 PM - 8 February, 2008
actually fuck that. $200 sucks for a 6 hr gig.
DJ Brian Austin 5:23 PM - 8 February, 2008
Yeah, Im with you. I been doing this for 10 years and Im rolling in there with Denon S3500s and a Pioneer DJM400 and Serato....I think my headphones cost $120 alone. If I pressing play on some laptop or a Gemini Dual Deck I would do it for 300 or something.
I think 600 is fair flat fee. No extra or less if its busy or dead.
DJ Brian Austin 5:34 PM - 8 February, 2008
I know I should've searched before cause this price issue has been addressed....I went and found some quotes from this board:

4 hours no lights : 600 and up.
---DEEJAY 007

-4hours w/ a couple lights. $1,000 if I use 5 speaker system. $100/hour after the 4 hours.
I break it down like this: $200 just to load my shit in my truck, and then $100/hour after that. 4 hour minimum. Rates going up next summer, gotta pass those fuel charges on to someone else!!
DJ Jonasty

Depends on the event, the location, how many speakers I have to bring, etc.
Usually charge $100 an hour with 4 hour minimum but there are exceptions where the price can go up or down depending on the customer, location, etc.
sixxx

$100/hour minimum of 4 hours. $75 for each additional hour. i need to raise my prices after reading this post. i never included number of speakers in my pricing
DJ Lagos

used to do a lot of mobile gigs for 400 - 800 depending on how much lighting / speakers I would need, how long I would play for, the crowd, etc. Lately, I got a residency off hollywood that pays 200 a night (9-1:30), but I don't take any equipment, everything is provided (oh, and its all cash). it makes economic sense to do this, but i feel underpaid, what is the going rate for a mobile / club dj?
allenbina
DJ Brian Austin 7:30 PM - 8 February, 2008
and some more....I am getting way underpaid. Im gonna quote about 600$ minmum after everyones input---One person had a good point and make sure that club owner knows you are rolling in there with about 4-5K worth of equipment::::

if you gotta bring your own stuff, you should ask for at least $350 (if this is your first gig ever). if you have experience behind you, you should get $500 or better.
mister iLL

I would never bring my gear out for less than $500.
Julls

If it's a sure thing for more than a week or two you can charge less. If they sign a contract or other agreement with you for a month or longer you can charge less because you'll be guaranteed more money in the long run. I charge a lot more for a contract IT job than I do for being a permanent employee.
MUSICMEISTER

If you just have to "plug in" I would say $175.00 minimum. if you gotta bring P.A. $275.00 minimum. lights and everything else...$450.00 bare minimum.
DJ REKTEK

Charge for your sounds equipment 400-500
Then charge for you DJing services depending on your experience and how good you are $75-150/hr. But keep in mind what they bring in the door cuz they wont give you all of there money!
This might even make them invest in sounds and lighting so you won't break your back!
DJ CISCO

i use my equpt so often that i give massive discounts if i dont have to bring anything. i'd say bring my equpt doubles the price (at least)
if i bring my whole set up i wont consider it for less than 450 unless its for someone i know. typically i start for 750.
--DJ-A
Logisticalstyles 8:28 PM - 8 February, 2008
I do a very similar gig every weekend at a bar in Atlanta. I charge $500 a night.
LightsOut06 8:38 PM - 8 February, 2008
Those threads you're quoting are discussing MOBILE gigs. Not club gigs. Mobile > Club gigs as far as money goes.
DJ Brian Austin 9:01 PM - 8 February, 2008
LightsOut06---I know, but this is basically a mobile job. I have to take everything. They don't even have an extension cord, so Im haulin in 4 speakers, 2 subs, (their request that it be as loud as possible, even though they only hold 250) plus 2 power amps, stands, cords, 2 CD Decks in a coffin, mic, Lap, you know the drill....A real "club" at least has speakers and an amp. I am used to just taking my coffin and laptop--sometimes just a mixer to the big city clubs. I do 4 hour private parties for 500 in the area so Im thinking 600 is more than fair. I play from 10pm-4am and we all know that really means 9:40-4:35 :)
DJ-A 9:29 PM - 8 February, 2008
Quote:
Those threads you're quoting are discussing MOBILE gigs. Not club gigs. Mobile > Club gigs as far as money goes.

As soon as i have to take speakers its a mobile gig, and i expect as much $$$ too.

if they dont want to pay me at least $100 per hour than they need to buy their own equpt.

what do they do the other nights for sound?
DJ'Que 2:30 AM - 9 February, 2008
Look at it this way tell them you want nothing under $600 cause if they go get soung thats $300 for what your bringing then $300 for you djing,i would always do that but charged nothing under $600.00 I know its slow and new but since you charged $200 for all that and plus djing their expecting you to say $300,you should of never too it for $200 and bring Equiptment,thats why they want you back,not cuz your good but bcuz your cheap with equiptment,when I rented out sound systems it was nothing under $300.
DJ Michael Basic 2:40 AM - 9 February, 2008
Do they plan on buying equipment eventually? You should do a rent to own thing with them...charge 600 but 100 a week goes to the equipment until they pay it all off, then you can buy new shit, and until they've paid it off you can take it whenever you need it but you can also leave it set up there if you don't need it, and if it gets fucked up its on them, but you gotta make 'em sign a rent to own contract.
DJ'Que 2:49 AM - 9 February, 2008
just tell them you'll be their sound guy for $300 and for them to get a dj then they will see whats cheaper.
DJ-A 5:30 PM - 9 February, 2008
300 worth of eqpt? what exactly are you bringing? to me it seems like more than $300 worth
djskiggz 4:29 AM - 10 February, 2008
is it just me or are people in CALI fuckin cheap??
DJ-A 6:22 AM - 10 February, 2008
Quote:
is it just me or are people in CALI fuckin cheap??

until you move somewhere else and find they are cheaper there...

I think that people in cali and new york are just more likely to stab you in the back for their gain. other states will just be as cheap as possible and lie their asses off
dj_elite 8:35 PM - 10 February, 2008
shit i'm no superstar and my market is Durham, NC and i make more than that...

plug in to their PA/bar job- $200 for 4 hours

bring my own/mobile gig- $150 just to get me out the door, $50/hr, 4 hr minimum- for a pair of 15's on sticks (eons or peaveys)- no lights, nothing, and it's been climbing... 375-400 is what im shooting for now.

want a bigger system, you're paying more. i hate carrying gear other than my coffin/laptop. i don't mind setting it up, since my P/T job is sound reinforcement- but god i hate carrying it.

for all that carrying/transporting/setup nightmare i'd be in the 600 range easy.

why 4 speakers+subs? for 250 people, 2 tops and 2 subs (even 1 sub) would probably do it with the tops well elevated. have you thought of storing stuff there? one club i work at regularly allows me to keep stuff locked up in the basement in between jobs.
DJ'Que 8:58 PM - 10 February, 2008
Quote:
300 worth of eqpt? what exactly are you bringing? to me it seems like more than $300 worth
you miss the whole point,in cali their cheap unless you have a radio name which will get you $500.to dj now if he tell them 300 for sound then 300 to dj thats $600 and i highly doubt he's go get it all at once their sneaky out here and will get ghost on you if their not making money or will tell you hey we only made $$$$ so we can pay you this and pay you the rest next week then come next week their thinking he we can find someone for $100 and pickup a college Dj to do it,since theirfocus is on them.trust me I know how cheap they are.being a resedent dj at at is not really good in cali,cuz they will try to give you $200 or less cuz you their dj .I have a friend thats a dj that told me he was making $200 a night (cool) and the club was open like 6 days a week so thats alround $5k a month,we this same dj wants to use my serato and borrow money from me.