DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

So...Are you @ the PEAK of your DJ career, on your way up, down...or

DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:45 PM - 12 June, 2012
Holding steady.....

Me? I think I reached the PEAK of my DJ'ing career during my college years. The cuts were sharp, backspins precise, paid my dues, established my rep, and have basically gotten to the point of choosing the gigs I WANT to do vs. it being a money thing.

Holding steady here...

What about you?
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:16 PM - 12 June, 2012
Damn son it only took you 120 years to peak, thats a good run!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:40 PM - 12 June, 2012
Quote:

I see you're still striving....

That 12 step program working for you?
djbigboy 8:40 PM - 12 June, 2012
On my way down and going from mostly clubs to more weddings. But not without a fight!
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:59 PM - 12 June, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

I see you're still striving....

That 12 step program working for you?

The 12 step programs for alcoholics, alcoholics go to meetings. Me, im a drunk, we go to partys, big difference lol
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:06 PM - 12 June, 2012
Im acutually in the sweet spot of the way up, 4 years in the same spot so good relationships with managment, plus in that 4 years the club I work for bought out the larger area of the building space and hired GREAT staff, its now the #1 spot in the city and the best part is the main rooms the bread and butter, the spot I spin is just the special features in the dvd, so since the main rooms doin great ive gone from HAVING to play the wobble on command to being able to just play what I like 100%, which in turn has begun to attract a following of like minded people who have alot of passion gor EDM but didnt have a venue to hear it, its a really fun time in the timeline!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:07 PM - 12 June, 2012
^^^Cool Story Bro^^^

J/K.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:11 PM - 12 June, 2012
Lol
Dj K.Smith 9:13 PM - 12 June, 2012
I feel like I'm at my peak because I'm busy, which makes me wanna stay sharp... I am always trying to stay on top of my "lane" in the game I've chosen (weddings) and definitely feel as though I'm an "above average" Dj in any regard. Private functions, weddings, parties at teh crib, sweet 16's, whatever...

I'll feel slow and on the decline when my services are not being requested as often as they are now... That's my "measuring stick."

BTW, nice question/topic JM...
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:14 PM - 12 June, 2012
To be fair its a folliwing of about 30....but their a fiercley loyal 30 and though 30 may not seem like much when its a room that holds 50 that shit looks EPIC lmfao!!
Dj K.Smith 9:17 PM - 12 June, 2012
*teh = the...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:17 PM - 12 June, 2012
Quote:

BTW, nice question/topic JM...

Thanks mayne....

Stay on the grind!
dj_craigmac 10:31 PM - 12 June, 2012
I'm in a holding pattern but definately not what i once was. I still rock at a high level tho
DJ Sainte 10:40 PM - 12 June, 2012
Holding pattern for me as well. Few weddings and same club spot for 3 years. Feel like
I need to do more to take it to " Next Level" or better put, next phase of my djing carrer.
djbigboy 10:53 PM - 12 June, 2012
For me, I am over 40, and marketing a 40+ yr old is rough in the club environment...I am well established and still do what I do, but the gigs aren't coming like they used too...I am not a good draw, but put me in most clubs, and the people will come because of good solid dj work, and not because I look cool on a flyer
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:01 PM - 12 June, 2012
Quote:
For me, I am over 40, and marketing a 40+ yr old is rough in the club environment...I am well established and still do what I do, but the gigs aren't coming like they used too...I am not a good draw, but put me in most clubs, and the people will come because of good solid dj work, and not because I look cool on a flyer

This has to be the REALEST post I've seen in a minute...
the_black_one 12:25 AM - 13 June, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

im 31 and i keep hungry to better myself everyday! the sky is the limit!!! BTW... you gotta stay in shape no matter how old you are!
sixxx 12:49 AM - 13 June, 2012
I have never considered what I do a career so for me, it's neither up or down. I'm very choosy of the mobile stuff I do and I get calls weekly, but money is not an issue, so many times I don't even call back.

As far as clubs, still on the same spot after 5 years. Right now it's slow because they got their license restricted until midnight but I'm still there because I have complete freedom of what I play. That is another reason why I don't do other spots in town. I get offers, but they don't want to pay what I'm worth so I rather spend the time with my family than pretend I'm the hot shit working 4 clubs/bars a week and making peanuts.

As far as radio, I'm still heard on the radio via pre-recorded mixes which I hate. I'm waiting for the chance to get back on the air mixing live, the way it should be. Again, it has to be with the amount of freedom I want, and the current station I'm doing allows me that freedom.

I will have fun with DJing first and foremost, everything else is just icing on the cake, including the pay.
DJ Remy USA 1:34 AM - 13 June, 2012
I have yet to have a career Im still part time with DJing
Thundercat 1:37 AM - 13 June, 2012
I'm starting to have a bit of 2nd wind. Had you asked me 6 - 8 months ago I would have definitely said I was on the downside. There was a point back in the day where I was working 7 nights a week, had a nice following, could turn any spot's night out, etc. Then there was a point I almost stopped all together. I had to re-find my love affair with music; I was completely jaded with what was out there. But now that I have found my "happy place" I am working towards a place where I can just do me. This involves me getting back into the musician & production side of things as an outlet, as well as an avenue back into the places I want to play.

I'm like that old married dude in the gym that got too comfortable and has been eating too good, trying to get back to my college weight. I got some work to do, but I am on my way back.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 3:08 AM - 13 June, 2012
Slowed down last year do to having a new son.
This year was mostly replacing my equipment and here and there gigs. Hopefully 2013 I will be back in full force. Focusing more on mobile gigs than resident club/restaurant gigs.

In 5 years? Hope to run a venue to host various small/medium size private events. Need to play and win that Powerball!
DJ Remy USA 10:17 AM - 13 June, 2012
Question why have so many of you slowed down? I feel like Im just starting still, I have yet to have any real major break throughs. Ive done some nice spots, nice gigs, and def have some support from a small group of people. Im just not happy with the business side of things where promoters and owners think I need to sell my soul just to DJ

If people actually booked talent over a huge a guest list. I'd prolly be to busy to post on this forum as often as I do
DJ Val-BKNY11203 10:28 AM - 13 June, 2012
Quote:

That's the truth there. I'm 46 and did the clubs in my 20's.Now I just take choice mobiles, BBQ's & weddings now. I can still get it in, but I leave the majority of gigs for the young bucks now. I think I'm the smartest I've ever been as a DJ right now even tho my hands are no where as fast as they used to be.
djaction 1:50 PM - 13 June, 2012
The only type you should be at your PEAK is when you're dead.. and you should only be done when you are 40..

:D
djbigboy 3:24 PM - 13 June, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

im 31 and i keep hungry to better myself everyday! the sky is the limit!!! BTW... you gotta stay in shape no matter how old you are!

At 31, you should be hungry. I don't think MOST djs mature until they are into their 30s. (by mature, I mean, they are socially stable, above the drama of being in their 20s, more focused on the djing, have a bit more musical history) I think I peaked around 38 (a convergence of playing in the right spots, djing skill, social skill, marketability), so I am not that far away from it. The older you get, the more life kinda takes a higher priority. Maybe that means your not digging into the music as much. Or like me, you don't have gear constantly set up to practice on. When I was in my 30s, I just picked up records (or tracks, lol) and played them. Now days, because I am not working as much, I feel like I have to prepare a bit more.

Like any skill, djing is about repetitiveness, and the less you work, the less sharp you are...IMO
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:45 PM - 13 June, 2012
I heard somewhere that around the 10 year mark is where you are really GOOD at something and I totally agree, im goin on 10 years playin out and im just getting into that groove where im not scared of any gigs, not nervous, not really having to thing about what im doin, just drop me un front of a crowd and ima read it and make the party happen
djaction 5:37 PM - 13 June, 2012
so you are saying you are really GOOD at dj'ing
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:01 PM - 13 June, 2012
Quote:
so you are saying you are really GOOD at dj'ing

damn sure gooder than i was 10 years ago lol
the_black_one 6:05 PM - 13 June, 2012
Let's ask Mss bezzle
Logisticalstyles 6:14 PM - 13 June, 2012
I'm 37 and I'd say I have already peaked, but you never know what the future holds.

It also depends upon which aspect of DJing you are talking about. As a club DJ, yes I've peaked a long time ago, I'm just not into that scene. As a mobile DJ, I think I can take it higher. As a producing/studio DJ, I definitely have not peaked yet. When it comes to skills like scratching and beat mixing, I would say that I am at my peak and have plateaued at my peak. It will be a while before those skills go down hill.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:26 PM - 13 June, 2012
Quote:
Let's ask Mss bezzle

Touche'
Nicky Blunt 7:46 PM - 13 June, 2012
im on a plateau atm neither rising or falling Just holding steady.

Nice thread btw Johnny
Eric N 8:43 PM - 13 June, 2012
Good thread. For me it really depends on how you measure the peaks and valleys. It's a vicious cycle lol. I started out doing weddings and high schools, played my first bar at 19, then spent the 14 years since trying to get into bigger and better clubs every year. A couple of years ago, I was playing more "trendy" spots and starting to break into that market more than ever before - but ended up realizing that I really don't like the crowds (and often, a lot of the music) at these venues. Since, I have started playing more nights at smaller venues where I am REALLY having fun with what I play and turning shit out. As a result, I'm getting a ton of people asking me to do weddings and private parties for them.

I think I may be on the way down as far as being a "glossy flyer bottle service club DJ", but on the way up as far as being a "DJ who is known for throwing the fuck down" - which is better anyway IMHO. I definitely still have room to grow with mixtape production, mobile stuff, hell, even starting new niche-genre nights at bars that 30-somethings frequent lol. I just really don't have the desire to play douchey music for douchey kids every weekend anymore, so I'm kinda in a transition phase - trying to figure out how ELSE to take it to the next level.
dj_soo 8:47 PM - 13 June, 2012
Feel like I'm on my way up again after a bit of a dip despite the fact that I'm 35... My production career is starting to get noticed a lot more and I'm getting more international interest than I have in the past.

That said I do feel like I'm rebuilding my brand a bit and really trying to attract newer (and younger) fans...
str8nger 12:42 AM - 14 June, 2012
I am doing really good on the moble side of it right now, however I want to start doing bars/clubs
DeeJayRobz 12:49 PM - 15 June, 2012
I'm definitely on the way up... Haven't quite peaked yet in the mobile field, but I'm getting there. nowhere near my top in the skills, I got so much left to learn, scratches, tricks, all of that.
O.B.1 7:01 PM - 17 June, 2012
Finacially, I'm still on my way up - making more every year so far.
Creatively, I feel as if I've plateaued or perhaps just need some new inspiration (i.e. get back into more production)
Technically, I'm practicing some new-school types of scratches (far from mastering them) as my scratching was primarily stuck in the 80's-90's for a long time...
Socially, I am at my peak - but starting to grow tired of the regular club/bar scene and getting more into higher paying mobile events (weddings/corporate/school)
Equipment wise, I will probably never be satisfied and am constantly upgrading my sound system/lighting.
sacrilicious 7:31 PM - 17 June, 2012
Getting more referrals, better rates, and more gigs but still climbing in my market. Crowd reading and programming are definitely improving as well--I'm making better decisions with my "curve ball tracks" and open format party rocking beyond just the staples. Lots of room to grow in production, branding, and underground playing, though, as I've ended up on the mainstream downtown circuit and have fancied myself as more of a niche/artsy DJ.

I'm also getting a lot better at engaging the crowd with my physical presence but need to work on my poker face (no Gaga) when I'm displeased heh.
DJ Reflex 7:45 PM - 17 June, 2012
Still growing... I hope. Just invested in some new gear. Now I have to book the gigs to pay for it!

Mobile side is great, but I am having a heck of a time trying to get into any clubs/bars in the area. I guess I'll stick to what I'm good at and work the mobile gigs to the fullest.
echa1945mf 7:51 PM - 17 June, 2012
im in the transitional phase on the scene now,where older DJ's are cutting down they're career or winding down,and my generation (5-10 years on the decks) is started to take over,so were enjoying our rising spot now , got a few awards this year and enjoying weekends of frequent flyer miles,luxury hotels and packed out clubs and playing in main events and main slots

got the chance to work on many major label projects and many mainstream artist too,a Live Project is getting quite a spotlight,and a studio collabo with a mainstream artist are getting some publicity , im currently venturing on starting a label that focused on House Music (the funky,soulful side of it)

its like im starting to enjoy the fruit of my labor,with all of this craziness happening in my life rightnow i never forget to humble down and always remember the people thats been there since day 1,and all the seniors for their guidance and support,and the people that come to my show and buy/download my stuff,my only hope that everything wont change me

wish me luck
R-Tistic 10:34 PM - 17 June, 2012
27, 5th year of DJ'n. It's weird...money wise, I'm on a constant rise, and will make more this year than each of the previous years, which has been the case EVERY year. However...the main two promo groups I did clubs with last year haven't been doing much of anything this year, so this summer, I'm doing heeeella Weddings and mobile events, which is what I was trying to move away from.

And I have mixed feelings about it. If I can find somebody who's SUPER reliable to set up the equipment for me, I might not have a problem. But I HATE, HATE, HATE bringing/setting up equipment nowadays...it's a damn pain, even when I have people helping me. And I got spoiled by doing clubs where I only needed a laptop, vinyl, needles, and maybe a Serato box.

So yea...I'm definitely moving up, but just want to move away from the mobile type events. I can say that the Weddings I get are probably the best possible...it's always "Hip Hop and R&B ONLY crowds" (tsk tsk) that are like 26-32, so musically, it's really the same as the club, plus some old school music that I enjoy even more. But still...yeah.
DJ Reflex 3:56 AM - 18 June, 2012
R-Tistic - I hate moving gear too. Probably my own fault for doing mostly mobile gigs, but a truck load of speakers and lights every weekend is a pain. Good luck with the wedding crowds you're getting - I hope that lasts! I just did a "club-like" wedding two weeks ago - best one of the summer so far!
R-Tistic 5:01 AM - 18 June, 2012
@Reflex....yeah, and it's where I'm not gonna turn down many gigs, especially paying good, if I don't have anything else for the day. It's a hassle and takes up way too much time!

Yeah, the "club-like" Weddings are fun...I just hate the set up. I don't even mind dressing up, but then having to set up while dressed, or having to change after setting up, etc etc it's just too much.
DJ Reflex 5:53 AM - 18 June, 2012
lol Oh the stuff we do for entertainment... We get paid though - right?
O.B.1 3:18 AM - 19 June, 2012
^^^ Paid In Full
Deejayalex 7:47 AM - 21 March, 2013
I am on my way down. But not because I don't have it anymore. But because of my hearing. I am not willing to lose my hearing for the spinning profession. Today I experience tinnitus and some dizziness due to the loud music that I hear every day. I have been spinning since I was 16 years old. I am now 50 years old. I still packing the house creating lineups outside the club. In my community age is not a factor for mixing music. It's the music that counts. However I am willing to let go of the decks. Time for me to move on. Let someone else take the helm.
dj jamalot 12:23 PM - 21 March, 2013
Well I'm 54 look 34 still smashing 24 year olds and been playing since I was 19 my first mixer didn't even have a cue but I rigged one by splitting the output to a boom box yup I'm a old head that still packin clubs still moving big systems but will use a smaller controller based in a second... Age really has nothing to do with rocking a party because your only good if your in demand if your not then fade to black it's a wrap... So to answer the question I'm here to play, so I'm not going away!
dj jamalot 12:29 PM - 21 March, 2013
Bottom line is your only as good as your last gig and if that sucked well do the math...
AustinG 1:00 PM - 21 March, 2013
On the way up. I stay super booked, have special events, a nice buzz in the city, and I practice often. I've been stuck on this plateau for months though with scratching and it's getting the best of me... Right now I'm kind of thinking exit plan and waiting for the right business venture/investment opportunity to present itself.
DJYoshi 1:09 PM - 21 March, 2013
up & down.... my stance is rarely steady

exit plan has been in play for years since my last downward spiral.
AustinG 1:20 PM - 21 March, 2013
It's a hard knock life Yoshi! Mad props for anyone out there doing this full-time and/or traveling. I couldn't do it. I do want to play out on the West Coast one time before I hang it up.
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:22 PM - 21 March, 2013
Quote:

Kinda this, i had to go down to get up (nh) but im more excited than ever about where im at now, i acomplished 100% of my goals for club djing so i called it quits, started goin to shows for fun and ended up gettin networked in with alot of up and commers and promoters. When they found out i was avaliable i started getting booked at events so now im getting to travel to do gigs and openin for some big names and i get to be involed with the scene i love rather than the rat race of the club politics.
DJYoshi 2:12 PM - 21 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Kinda this, i had to go down to get up (nh) but im more excited than ever about where im at now, i acomplished 100% of my goals for club djing so i called it quits, started goin to shows for fun and ended up gettin networked in with alot of up and commers and promoters. When they found out i was avaliable i started getting booked at events so now im getting to travel to do gigs and openin for some big names and i get to be involed with the scene i love rather than the rat race of the club politics.

TRUE!!!
Daktyl 6:06 PM - 21 March, 2013
i can only say i hope this isn't the peak lol. it's been up and down so far with some pretty good highs and some pretty shitty lows. kind of in a low spot right now, but it's been steady progress with 2 steps forward, 1 step back...
Taipanic 9:44 PM - 21 March, 2013
Quote:

Same goes for me. Walking into a club and trying to book a gig when you're over 40 is pretty much a longshot trying to get someone to give you a slot. If I do get to play for them I almost always get the gig though.
Going through a child custody battle years ago forced a change in focus for me. Before kids, I DJ'ed full time for over 12 years. Since then I have worked 3-6 nights a week when I have club gigs, but lately my focus has had to change more to the occasional club gig with more Mobile events. While not as fun, the money is better and people always leave happy. I've worked hard on my MC skills, go to Mobile Beat conventions to enhance my event DJ skillset. I still have much desire to expand my club skills with tools like Ableton, MadMapper, etc... I also still spend over $100/mo on music services. The upside to having a "real" job during the day is the stability it brings plus insurance, 401k, Porsches & Ducatis, etc... Not as fun as playing 24/7 but I still enjoy it every time I play out.
Lately I am not as willing to jump through as many hoops and endure as much BS as it takes around here to get a sub $300 club gig.
Dj Shamann 10:19 PM - 21 March, 2013
I'm in a transitional period right now, I started Djing at 10, started doing clubs at 16 (not even legal to get in) started touring around 20, after doing it so long I burned the fuck out, hated DJing (but still did it) hadn't put out a mix in years even though in my early days that's what made me... and then when I went on my last tour I guess in 2010, after 2 weeks I was ready to come home and sleep in my own bed from then on, I officially quit touring and some around me weren't happy about it either.

But once I had a break and regrouped I had a new outlook on things. I started doing mobiles (but like R-tistic I'm so spoiled by doing clubs and not having to bring shit) and I loved it, I was getting hired to do weddings by people who grew up in clubs and didn't want the typical mobile, so I marketed it that way. Also started my own local party business and had a great 2012, wore the same set of clothes all year while I took my DJ money and bought mobile gear, now I have everything I need.

I still have lots to accomplish in my new set of goals, but my attitude is this, I didn't make a New years resolution, I just looked at my 2012 and said, now turn it up a notch. I spent late 2011 - early 2012 learning SEO, web design, photoshop and all the necessary tools I need to "package" it, so 2013 I'm going back to my roots and putting out the content again. I even get up in the mornings and hit the turntables again, where as for years I didn't even touch them unless it was at a gig.

An ex-GF told me I was always the young guy in the crew but because of my talent a lot of people lived off of me for years, but now that I'm doing shit for me it's like a new lease on this DJ life.
ninos 11:10 PM - 21 March, 2013
im still working my way up, i have a weekly residency now and still doing mobiles and weddings on the side!
DJ Reflex 2:18 AM - 22 March, 2013
This year has been - by far - my best year in the biz. I am booked well into 2014 with weddings, school dances, and corporate events. Just got done rockin' a couple school functions and a laser show the last few weekends and got networked with a few local DJ's and bands as well. We all puttin' or heads together to turn bigger profits and corner the market.

Very blessed this year!

Kudos to those who are on the down swing. I'm sure it ain't easy, but there's always someone who remembered that one night a while back... when you rocked it!
R-Tistic 3:17 AM - 22 March, 2013
This month has been the peak so far, but I figure it'll still get better. Doing official events for BET, SXSW, Paid Dues next week, and a few of my folks parties that have some good buzz around town. I figure I want my peak to be the next three years...after 32, 33, I think I'll be slowing down on it all. Especially if I start having kids n all that