Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

I want to use Serato crates in Rekordbox

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane TTM 57SL
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
Selector Bryan 9:05 AM - 12 June, 2012
Hello, i work in two different place, one uses ScratchLive and the other uses RekordBox, is possible to have my serato crates accessible in rekordbox too? the same way they are organised in serato? Thank You
Konix 2:14 PM - 12 June, 2012
Unfortunately no. Sorry.
eliteforce 10:10 AM - 1 August, 2012
That's a real shame. As a user of both Serato and (occasionally) USB sticks this kind of cross-media integration would be genuinely useful. Anyone know of any workarounds?
valdini 9:44 AM - 10 November, 2012
Super annoying... I am now using Serato DJ (with the SX at Home), SL3 (Clubs), USB (small sets / boat parties etc).

The only way I can see it working is via itunes.

Set up iTunes playlists with the same names as SSL crates
Drag tracks from SSL > iTunes playlist
Reference updated iTunes playlist from inside Rekordbox

Have not fully tested so don't quote the above!

K
KanMat 1:46 PM - 19 May, 2013
Ok so ive been using serato for a couple of years now and i have a lot of cue points and info on names that i have saved through the years .
lately i have been playing on events and venues where they have CDJs 2000s
and i have all my music and crates organized on my HD (TB Seagate 3.0)
of course my crates and my folders are completely organized different so conecting my external HD directly to the 2000s i would not only loose my crates organization but my cue points as well.
so after noticing that there was not written solution im pasting this info on where ever i see it needed.
its a looong process but i really like to have quick access to my music and to know i have the same organization in my files that ive had for years...
(note: remember to always backup your data and music files!!! )

1) drink a beer-> you will need it
2)itunes(playlist)->only if you all ready where working with itunes not really needed
3)Serato (Crate)-> locate your crates folder in your computer
4)Traktor SSL Database Importer-> import by crate since the database option will merge all crates.
5)Traktor (Playlist)-> import trakor database to playlist & export to a folder in your computer note: your export needs to be done with files on folder(copy tracks to destination option) where you are saving in order to be picked by next step.
6) RekordBuddy-> Sync Traktor Collection Files (1 for each crate) to Rekordbox Collection File
7) Rekordbox->Bridge Rekordbuddy & send Rekordbox playlist to External HD
8)Replace Old Serato Crates with new Crates linked from Rekordbox.
9)drink another beer.

now i can conect my HD either to Serato and use vinyls anywhere or to a CDJ 2000 and i still have my organization and cues on both sofwares.
hope this helps to someone and im not the only crazy guy doing this.
looking fwd to see some unification between rekordbox and serato.

any questions or problems let me know and like the page hehe
www.facebook.com
dj michael toast 1:34 AM - 15 June, 2013
what if you're using external drives with serato? do u have to process your crates in the serato folder on each drive? and if so what about subcrates?
thank you!
KanMat 3:58 PM - 17 June, 2013
you will have to copy to your internal HD in your computer and handle each crateand subcrate independently, since Traktor SSL database does not pick up External HD or at least in my case it didnt, i had to work around it.
NOTE: one thing i did is create a folder in my desktop and back up both of my serato data (external and internal HD ) and change their name just adding a letter this way i can now arrange a whole new database on my new files copied in my internal hd
(example: Here is how i renamed my serato database of internal and external hd to a folder in my desktop.
N_Serato_ O__Serato_
N_Serato_Backup & O_Serato_Backup_
(Internal HD Serato Data ) (External HD Serato Data )
Now that i have copied my music to my internal hd and i have a fresh new database in serato i can copy and paste from my old database crates or subctrates to my new one
open serato,go to files locate missing files in computer.
NOTE:make sure you dont have your external HD is not conected!
now you can continue with the process

As i mentioned before its a long process but it worked for me
as a matter of fact i went to a party where they had serato conected and later in the evening a pair of 2000s nexus came in and i used my HD
same music same crate same cues no duplicates it paid of at the end on my point of view
KanMat 4:01 PM - 17 June, 2013
sorry the forum cleans the blank spaces betwen words
here is a better example
N_Serato_ & N_Serato_Backup (Internal HD Serato Data ) renamed folders
O__Serato_ & O_Serato_Backup (External HD Serato Data )renamed folders
evillevi 5:19 PM - 14 December, 2013
Sorry for flooding, but I don't understand step 5.
You have to use Traktor to import the .nml-fles?
evillevi 10:21 PM - 18 December, 2013
Can you also do this with a music library on an internal hard disk? Get it ready for Rekordbox and Serato?
deejdave 3:03 AM - 19 December, 2013
Yes for both. Serato can not be transferred directly to Rekordbox and Traktor must be the middle stage between them. I will say that in the end Serato will still be your primary. I have a library of 85,000 tracks 100% Sync'ed between Serato, Traktor & Rekordbox. A few things to consider such as Serato has 5 cue points with SSL or 8 with SDJ. Traktor will support all 8 but Rekordbox only allows 3 (hot cues) and the rest will eventually end up as memory cues (recall cue's) This can be done with Internal or External Library and I actually have my library on External which works GREAT no matter which software I am using it with.
evillevi 6:22 AM - 19 December, 2013
With the library on the internal disk, does this also involve exporting music files (step 5)? What do you have to do with the exported files then? Replace the original files, delete them? I own a ddj-sx with serato dj and want to use rekordbox and serato dj on laptop but also with my external hard disk. The external would be a bootable clone of my internal.
deejdave 10:21 PM - 19 December, 2013
You work with database files not the music files themselves. They never get copied or transferred just altered. Also out of curiosity what do you plan to use with Rekordbox. You are aware that the DDJ-SX does not support it correct? Furthermore if you have your music on your internal you would use that same library for Rekordbox.
eliteforce 9:46 AM - 20 December, 2013
It's a real shame about this lack of integration - I played off Serato for 2 & a half years, but as Rekordbox has improved and the reliability of the CDJs and quality of their sound has improved, I've recently found myself playing more & more on Rekordbox, to the point where I haven't used Serato in a few months now. It's a shame because Serato's a much nicer interface to work with putting sets together, and the file and crate management seems a lot smoother still (not to mention liking using the dicers and the extra cue points), but for portability and sheer ease of use, the USBs seem to have won the day. For now.
evillevi 1:03 PM - 20 December, 2013
Quote:
You work with database files not the music files themselves. They never get copied or transferred just altered. Also out of curiosity what do you plan to use with Rekordbox. You are aware that the DDJ-SX does not support it correct? Furthermore if you have your music on your internal you would use that same library for Rekordbox.

Sorry, I forgot to mention the CDJ 2000s I would consider buying in order to use both Rekordbox and Serato DJ.
Yes, I would use the same music files on my internal for Serato and Rekordbox (i.e. at home), but I'm afraid Rekordbox will change my tags. I spent lots of time in setting cue points etc, I need the information to be accessible in both softwares. The steps described above are not so clear to me, but then again I'm new to this Rekordbox experience.

CDJ's + DDJ-SX controller is the cheaper option at the moment to be able to do what I want. I could replace the controller with the DJM 900 SRT + DJ SP1 midi controller, but that's not worth the investment in my case, well, not for now.
DMoon 9:07 AM - 3 October, 2015
Hi,

** Maybe this is already discussed, but as this is the first hit in Google, I would write a possible easy solution here as well **

In Serato 1.7.2, you can simply drag'n'drop files to rekordbox.

In order to copy a create:
1. Create empty playlist in rekordbox.
2. Select the contents of the crate in Serato.
3. Drag the selected tracks to the empty crate.
4. Rekordbox processes/exports all songs as dragging from Finder or Explorer.

Best Regards,
dmoon
DMoon 9:08 AM - 3 October, 2015
Quote:
Hi,

** Maybe this is already discussed, but as this is the first hit in Google, I would write a possible easy solution here as well **

In Serato 1.7.2, you can simply drag'n'drop files to rekordbox.

In order to copy a create:

Best Regards,
dmoon

3. Drag the selected tracks to the empty PLAYLIST in rekordbox. :)
deejdave 2:58 PM - 3 October, 2015
Y
Quote:

Yes this is how you get the music as is into Rekordbox. The way we discuss above gets the music into Rekordbox with all cue points, beat grids, etc intact.
KanMat 2:00 AM - 7 October, 2015
Hello!
A lot has happened since the last post I made, thanks for everyone that has reached out to my facebook it's been fun to get to meet a lot of people and help with their questions or problems, as off a few months ago rekordbuddy 1.0 has been taken out of the store option on their website since they are getting ready for rekordbuddy 2.0 witch is going to support most DJ software.
for more info here is the link: next.audio

Any questions or comments please go ahead and contact me any time I'm more than happy to help and say hi to fellow music enthusiasts
Peace!
Dj KanMat
Facebook.com/djkanmat
bob chris 4:29 AM - 19 February, 2016
what about the pc users??
im familiar to all the softwares VDJ8,serato,traktor and now trying the rekordbox can have everything aligned too??
djtommyroberts 9:34 PM - 21 March, 2016
HOLD UP!!!! WAIT A MINUTE!!!! (DJ pun intended).

I figured it out!

Step 1: Open iTunes, Serato (Live, haven't tested DJ but I assume it'll work with this method as well) AND Rekordbox (I'm using 4.0.8, the newest).

Step 2: In iTunes, make a blank playlist with a name that matches your crate in Serato.

Step 3: In Serato, highlight all of the tracks from your desired crate you want copied and drag them over to the blank iTunes playlist.

Step 4: Update all the ID3 tags in iTunes so it is well aware of the file locations. (Eliminating margin of error).

Step 5: In Rekordbox go to the bridge, find your new iTunes playlist, and import it into Rekordbox. BOOM!!

You now have full access to the playlist to mess around with in Rekordbox. Unfortunately the Serato Cue's won't translate over.

Oh, and have a beer, because you deserve it.
Slimcrouse 8:48 AM - 6 May, 2016
Quote:
HOLD UP!!!! WAIT A MINUTE!!!! (DJ pun intended).

Step 3: In Serato, highlight all of the tracks from your desired crate you want copied and drag them over to the blank iTunes playlist.

[/quote

This does not work with Serato Dj.
deejdave 3:59 PM - 6 May, 2016
Much better and directive ways of doing this anyways that does include cue points, loops, etc.
deejdave 4:00 PM - 6 May, 2016
Directive = effective....... Hate iPhone typing:(
21st Sentry 4:24 AM - 8 June, 2016
Explain your more effective way please...
deejdave 1:16 PM - 8 June, 2016
Rekordbox 2 or rekordbox 1 / n.i. Ssl database importer tool.
deejdave 1:16 PM - 8 June, 2016
Rekordbox = rekord buddy sorry