DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

What Headphones are you using?

Robinson 2:40 AM - 25 October, 2005
It’s time to buy new headphones again… Just curious as to what you guys are using for headphones… In the last 5 years I’ve only used Sony & Pioneer. Sony MDR-V700DJ up until about 2 years ago… the last 2 years I’ve been using Pioneer HDJ-1000’s. I keep having the same problem with both, they crack near the hinge.

If Pioneer made the HDJ-1000s out of aluminum or something stronger than plastic I’d buy them for sure… Even if they cost a fortune… You’d save money in the long run not having to replace them 2 – 3 times a year.

What would you guys recommend as my next set of headphones and why?
djxatl 4:00 AM - 25 October, 2005
i use the new technics, they are really solid but also really tight fitting
DJ_X_Trodinaire 4:24 AM - 25 October, 2005
SOny 700

waiting for Denons
DJLorrence 6:04 AM - 25 October, 2005
i go through atleast a pair of year of the Sony MDR-700. for me, they crack at the swivel point, from sweat and daily use.
Teknikscian 6:25 AM - 25 October, 2005
i'm so sick of headphones! they keep breaking! i currently have the Technics DJ-1200. i'm going to pick up the new denons next...
skinnyguy 11:25 AM - 25 October, 2005
sony 7506. definitely does NOT have that design and will NOT end up cracking like the 700. also very comfortable, sounds sweet and is around $99.
boabmatic 11:32 AM - 25 October, 2005
I'd go for Sennheiser HD25, I've had mine for years and still have no probs with them.

best thing about them is that you can buy all the parts as spares. so if the headband,cable etc breaks you can just buy that bit and not a brand new set.

saying that the only thing I've needed to replace was the one of the foam ear pieces which had ripped...

The sound is really good and are great for blocking out noise in a club.and don't distort and high volumes either.
djdsk 11:52 AM - 25 October, 2005
Technics RPDJ 1200

Great headphones and last forever i been using 2 years and no problem
booster 5000 12:11 PM - 25 October, 2005
Quote:
I'd go for Sennheiser HD25, I've had mine for years and still have no probs with them.

best thing about them is that you can buy all the parts as spares. so if the headband,cable etc breaks you can just buy that bit and not a brand new set.

saying that the only thing I've needed to replace was the one of the foam ear pieces which had ripped...

Same here

The sound is really good and are great for blocking out noise in a club.and don't distort and high volumes either.
Hex 12:31 PM - 25 October, 2005
HD25's. wouldnt use any other kind
boabmatic 2:22 PM - 25 October, 2005
sorry off topic - hey hex, just checked ur profile and see ur from glasgow... I'm just down the M8 from you :)

are u heading to edinburgh for LTJ Bukem and MC Conrad at the weekend?

Its my first d&b night in years ...used to go through for manga every month before it went on fire ...
Hex 3:42 PM - 25 October, 2005
Hey! I actually checked your profile the other day because I thought nobody outside of Scotland would possibly have a username containing Boab!

I didnt realise Bukem was playing and I've gone and made other plans now :( We had Rohan from Bassbin Recordings over playing at my night in Glasgow on Friday there so at least I've got my DnB fix once this week :)
Dj Ryme 3:54 PM - 25 October, 2005
I had the same problem with my sony headphones cracking near the hinge after about 3 years of use, I now have a pair of the top of the line technics and they seem pretty good except for the tight fit, we shall see.........
Robinson 7:37 PM - 25 October, 2005
My Pioneers did the same thing as the Sonys... Just lasted a little longer.
bush 8:00 PM - 25 October, 2005
Technics 1210
MSF 8:08 PM - 25 October, 2005
Sony MDR-v6 or SOny 7506... been using these for about 8 yrs. I have only 1 pair break on me about 4 yrs ago. These phones are built tough and sound great for mixing.
nikolozi 8:16 PM - 25 October, 2005
I've had 3 sony headphones all broke within 1-2 years time. My Pioneer HDJ-1000 is till alive though. I suggest you go for Sennheiser, HD25 or something similar. I know few guys that have been using Sennheiser headphones for over 5-6 years without any problems and even if something goes wrong most of it parts are replaceble.
Robinson 8:20 PM - 25 October, 2005
Sounds like a lot of peoople recomend the Sennheisers... Do you know if the cups can be rotated out out of the way like the Pionner/Sonys?
brooster 9:38 PM - 25 October, 2005
Quote:
Quote:

Same here

yup same here - In a 2 year peiod I had 6 different pairs of headphones. Now i've had a pair of Sennheiser HD25's that cost me £125 and ive had 1 cable replaced, and the foam pads changed from the leather to the velour cos i just prefered it like that and have used the same 'phones now for 5 years.

BTW im way up the M8 in Aberdeen ;-)
brooster 9:41 PM - 25 October, 2005
Firstly i must apologise for my grammar...

yup same here - In a 2 year period I have had 6 different pairs of headphones. Now I have a pair of Sennheiser HD25's that cost me £125 and had 1 cable replaced, the foam pads changed from the leather to the velour cos i just prefered it like that. They have been brilliant for 5 years.

I must press preview before i push post ...
boabmatic 11:21 PM - 25 October, 2005
Quote:
Sounds like a lot of peoople recomend the Sennheisers... Do you know if the cups can be rotated out out of the way like the Pionner/Sonys?

they don't rotate like the sony/technics style but they do have a hindged joint on the headband so the cup can sit off your ear with the headphones still firmly on ur head...

have a look here.... u can see what I'm talkin about on the image near the bottom..

www.sennheiser.co.uk$File/HD25_bda.pdf
boabmatic 11:23 PM - 25 October, 2005
oops that link didn't work....

go here ....
www.sennheiser.co.uk

then open...
Instructions for use
HD25_bda.pdf (437,0 KB)
Serato
dave 11:27 PM - 25 October, 2005
Quote:
We had Rohan from Bassbin Recordings over playing at my night in Glasgow on Friday there so at least I've got my DnB fix once this week :)

Nice one! Bassbin records rule.

Back on topic.. I have beyerdynamic dt 990s. Since they're open headphones I wouldn't recommend them to any DJ, but they sound great.
Ras Gonzo 11:47 PM - 25 October, 2005
Those guys over at AGIproDJ turned me on to these GREAT sounding headphones:

www.ultrasone.com
bitt 10:26 AM - 26 October, 2005
Melissa 3:16 PM - 26 October, 2005
I'm on my 2nd pair of Pioneer HDJ 1000s... My last pair cracked at the hinge but they were on in the pocket of a soft record bag- my fault. (They still work with duct tape) I had a pair of techics (I don't remeber the model #) for a few years prior, they broke but it was really annoying how the Technic's cord streched out...
s42000 3:40 PM - 26 October, 2005
After trying out pretty much all the pro DJ headphones including the 2 pios, the techs and the 2 or 3 sonys all with mixed results I have come to conclude that the Sennheiser HD25 RULE .. in every way imaginable.
sixxx 4:07 PM - 26 October, 2005
I have two of these:

www.turntablelab.com

I like them because they're very durable, great sound and now that the new ones came out, very cheap. I got my second pair for $60. :)
Sim 7:03 PM - 26 October, 2005
Im usin Pioneer HDJ1000s as well, just bought my 2nd pair on ebay actually yesterday. U can get pretty good deals on ebay for them, $110 buy it nows, tho the basturds try to reem u on shipping ($20), still cheaper than goin into a retail store, pssl.com wanted $150 plus tax
Robinson 9:44 PM - 26 October, 2005
The last pair of HDJ's I bought I found at a flea market actually.. Just walking around, noticed them in some old dudes display case pretty much brand new in box... The only problem he had hotglued the cable into the cup because of the famous one side cutting out. I got them for $60... The guys was like... "Very Expensive eh"... I said "Dude you have no idea"
DeezNotes 2:25 PM - 27 October, 2005
Quote:
Those guys over at AGIproDJ turned me on to these GREAT sounding headphones:

www.ultrasone.com

My boy just picked these up. He got the DJ ones and the Pro series for the studio. I haven't heard them yet, but he said they're the truth... and we've been through 3 pairs of 700's and the HDJs.

The case the Ultrasone's come in is real nice too. Comes w/ replacement pads and the headphone adapter is 1/4" instead of 1/8" so you don't need an adapter to go to your mixer. The headphone cable is replaceable and it screws in to the headphone so it won't come out.

Very well engineered and from what I understand the sound is amazing.
Jay-P 4:14 PM - 27 October, 2005
I use the MDR-V700s by sony aswell. One broke after a bout 1 year so I just fixed it with some zip-ties and they fit good. After breaking, they acutally became loose so it felt more comfortable for me. I had to buy a new one because the earpads cracked all around the entire earphones. Ive had them for about 3 years until the replacement (but still sounds good).
djwaz 4:20 PM - 27 October, 2005
HD25's all the way here :-)
earwolf 9:28 PM - 27 October, 2005
hd25 are great, but DON'T whatever you do get the cheaper hd25sp model - those are garbation
monkeybiz 10:26 PM - 27 October, 2005
Quote:
I use the MDR-V700s by sony aswell. One broke after a bout 1 year so I just fixed it with some zip-ties and they fit good.

I should try this. I just have hockey tape holding them together, but the glue is breaking down.

SONY must know better by now. This model has a reputation for cracking at this swivel point. Even if they just replaced the plastic socket with something metal... Othwerwise, I won't be buying SONYs again when it comes time to replace these.
Alkatrazz 12:40 AM - 28 October, 2005
I use to have the old technics and those were great, no problems and really durable, now i have the new techs and love these things. Very durable, ive dropt these a few times and play out in them all the time. Ive used the sony 700's and after using the techs i honestly didnt see why so many people like the sony's.
sixxx 6:03 AM - 28 October, 2005
One of the things I hate about headphones is when they're too big!
I mean. They feel like so heavy and just huge.
Pete 8:59 AM - 28 October, 2005
HD 25 for six years now. Only changed the foam pads to velour twice( 15 euro each time). You can´t go wrong with them.
skinnyguy 12:28 PM - 28 October, 2005
i heard sony improved the newer 700s? with a harder plastic? but i'm not takin chances.....also saw somewhere on the interweb, someone selling tiny metal sleeves to slip over that part to re-enforce it and help hold it together....

and besides, i'm very satisfied with my 7506's..
petko 3:56 PM - 28 October, 2005
hd25
skinnyguy 9:30 PM - 29 October, 2005
rubidj 12:46 PM - 1 November, 2005
Of course... HD 25.
I was testing some others and another time i bought a HD25
magik20 5:05 PM - 1 November, 2005
Quote:
One of the things I hate about headphones is when they're too big!
I mean. They feel like so heavy and just huge.

thats what she said :)

i acutally still have my Sony's, but they did break at the hinge

i just bought the new Technics and love them
ACME 12:56 PM - 2 November, 2005
Ultrasone headphones are great, try them
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 10:14 PM - 2 November, 2005
can you imagine rocking a crowd with this on?

www.headphone.com
nikolozi 11:10 PM - 2 November, 2005
Quote:

www.headphone.com

Is this for metrosexual DJs?
OG Supernatural 5:30 AM - 3 November, 2005
Quote:

www.headphone.com

Ha! Space-cowboy!

Pioneer HDJ1000, LIKE 'EM! Although, after all the talk about the HD 25 I'm gonna check it out.
DJ Reaction 9:55 AM - 3 November, 2005
Sony MDR700's have worked the best for me, studio sound, like 50 bones or so and long lasting.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 10:09 AM - 3 November, 2005
is this what everyone is talking about?

www.zzounds.com
DJ_X_Trodinaire 1:27 PM - 3 November, 2005
i dont like the straight cord...

tend to step on the cord i preffer the curly ones
BorDeauX 1:54 PM - 3 November, 2005
Sennheiser HD25 600 Ohms Edition. There´s no "too loud" for this headphones!
boabmatic 5:28 PM - 3 November, 2005
Quote:

www.zzounds.com

yip thats the ones....looking at the US price they are the only piece of DJ equipment that people in the UK don't get ripped off on.

most gear is usually close to double the price :(
thebulge 1:24 AM - 7 November, 2005
After I broke the cable on my Seinheisers the other weekend I just picked up some BeyerDynamix DJX1s. These things are UNBELIEVABLE. I little heavy, but comfortable. Excellent isolation and AWESOME sound quality. I am hearing things in tracks that I never heard before!!
concorde_pilot 2:09 PM - 9 November, 2005
who can give more details about the ultrasone dj1´s? why aren´t they more popular? what about the isolation and the build quallity (this two aspects are most important for me)?
nobody here in germany seems to have them... :(
ACME 10:45 PM - 9 November, 2005
Because they are not bass heavy as all others.
But I prefer them because I mostly rely on snares and hats for mixing, and the ultrasone always have that open, airy sound, which I find less fatiguing.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 12:00 AM - 10 November, 2005
from the looks of it, its gonna be between the beyerdynamix djx1s and the ultrasones....... on the left corner.....blah blah, lets get ready to rumble
s42000 5:25 AM - 10 November, 2005
Quote:

www.zzounds.com

Yep you got it ... best damn headphones ever made. Having used Pioneers, Technics, Stantons and Sony's (All the pro incarnations) I was a bit suspicious on the quality and sound on the HD25s. To say the least the HD25s are all that on all points !! and every part is user replacable !!
Hydrazine 8:09 AM - 11 November, 2005
I have had and heard a lot of headphones. I have been using HD25s for the last 8 years. They are the clearest, loudest and most durable I have found. Number 2 on my list are the 7506/v6 cans that are only less durable, clear and loud but more comfortable and a great deal. My v6s are still in service as my backup after 10+ years.

My experience with ultrasones is that they are comfortable and have lots of thump but are not as clear and dont feel as durable. I do like how the driver is offset on your ear so that you can "feel" the sound. I really makes mixing more intuitive.

The Beyerdynamics sound exciting... I will have to check them out. With good reason, the Beyer DT-250 is a secret favorite among house music folks.
Rollin' Cash 3:21 PM - 11 November, 2005
i'm surprised no one has mentioned the Stanton 2000's. in my opinion they are the best combination of comfort, durability and cost.

they cost less than half the price of the sony, technics, and pioneer. they're just as loud 103 db, sound just as good and are really rugged.

i had mine for about three year's now and not a single problem. best feature is that the cord isn't soldered to the phones, it's an 1/8" plug. also it comes with a 1/4" plug with an 1/8" adapter, not the other way around like most other phones. so you'll never loose another 1/4" adaptor.

i used to buy sony's, but they kept breaking at the swivel point, like mentioned above, then a friend of mine introduce me to the stantons and when talking to him about sony's, he said;

"if you want professional dj equipment, why would you ever buy sony?
would you buy a sony turntable or mixer?"

it made so much sense.
earwolf 11:31 AM - 12 November, 2005
if you want professional dj equipment, why would you ever buy stanton? would you buy a stanton turntable or mixer?
concorde_pilot 12:23 PM - 12 November, 2005
would you buy a sennheiser turntable?
a ultrasone fader?
:o
bush 8:56 PM - 12 November, 2005
The sonys suck though
skinnyguy 11:34 PM - 12 November, 2005
i was apprehensive about pioneer when they first came out with dj gear...first thing comes to mind when i hear pioneer and electronics is still "car stereo"
Detroitbootybass 12:06 AM - 13 November, 2005
Technics RPDJ-1200... i've had them since they first came out ('96 or '97) and they are still in mint condition.
Rollin' Cash 6:35 PM - 13 November, 2005
actually i would buy i stanton mixer. maybe not a turntable but if i didn't have a ton of $$, stanton is not the worst option in my opinion. i'd also buy a sennheiser turntable, i bet they'd sound good. ; )

i know we're all anti stanton/FS here, but the stanton name is still a big part of dj culture.
most clubs that i know of still use stanton needles for one.

anyway the 2000's are great and you can't beat the price.
$0.02
~R
concorde_pilot 11:25 PM - 13 November, 2005
the shure in-ears seam to be quite interesting but 500€/$ is way too expensive for me... but what about the shure e2´s or e3´s? is their isolation as good as the isolation of the e5´s? how is their sound quality? enough bass?
is the build quality good? spending so much money on so small headphones without replaceable parts seems a bit strange in my opinion....
thebulge 2:42 AM - 15 November, 2005
Quote:
The Beyerdynamics sound exciting... I will have to check them out. With good reason, the Beyer DT-250 is a secret favorite among house music folks.

The DJX1s are completely unbelievable. They'd want to be for the price though. Motherscratchers set me back $240 AU and I work for a reseller!!
concorde_pilot 9:41 PM - 16 November, 2005
Quote:
the shure in-ears seam to be quite interesting but 500€/$ is way too expensive for me... but what about the shure e2´s or e3´s? is their isolation as good as the isolation of the e5´s? how is their sound quality? enough bass?
is the build quality good? spending so much money on so small headphones without replaceable parts seems a bit strange in my opinion....
push
Dj Karl-R 9:55 PM - 16 November, 2005
I have been using the new Denons for about 3 weeks now and are loud! They have alot of flexability. They are kinda sharp on the highs which im ok with because i dont wear the cup on my ear i wear it off to the side so it doesnt bother me as much.
djratedrde 12:21 AM - 20 November, 2005
I use the Technics RPDH 1200's
djxatl 12:21 AM - 20 November, 2005
meeee tooo
JD 1:26 AM - 20 November, 2005
Stay away from the Stanton 3000's. Both sides broke within 4 months of use. They broke at the area where the earcup extends down from the band. Now I gotta go headphone shopping again =(
Slugworth!? 1:49 AM - 20 November, 2005
I'm using the Pioneer HDJ-1000's and like them better then any other set I've been able to get ahold of.
Tribal Zen Dancer 11:42 AM - 20 December, 2005
what do you guys use for production? phones that offer the most neutral sound/frequency curve?
SloMocean 3:47 PM - 20 December, 2005
i got two sets of these www.bhphotovideo.com

I used them to monitor sound for a film I helped shoot this summer, then added them to my dj setup. I love them ... i haven't used anything else, so I can't really compare, but they are highly regarded in the world of digital filmmaking for their neutral sound ...
vidoona 6:48 PM - 19 March, 2006
I've owned A LOT of pairs of DJ headphones lately, so here's my take on my experiences with each ending with my current and by far best two pairs that I bought after seeing this thread. Keep in mind I take really good care of my headphones and am not overly abusive (just on and off the ear(s) a bunch of times during a gig). Maybe I just have bad luck....

Pioneer HDJ-1000's:
Sound nice, but broke after 6 months....plastic is cheap but slightly better that the Sonys.

Stanton 3000's:
Sound like the Sony's, but the plastic is absolute crap. I broke mine, got them fixed under warranty and then they broke again all within 5 months.

Sony MDV-V700DJ:
They're kinda the standard, but it's not a matter of if they'll break, but when. Once again, cheap ass plastic. I've owned 3 pairs over the years.

Shure In Ear Monitors (I had the 400 model):
Still have them, they still work and sound great. Very loud too, but they are not good for DJ use. I like them on the airplane and on my portable, but that's about it.

Technics RPDH1200:
Lasted longer than all the other plastic models (9 months) but still broke.

Sony 7506's:
Awesome, awesome earphones. Metal pieces where it counts so they don't break. They don't have the DJ blingy look, but they are solid and relatively cheap too!

Sennheiser HD-25:
The ABSOLUTE BEST, CLEAREST, LOUDEST, MOST COMFORTABLE, MOST DURABLE headphones for DJs in the world. From some looking around on the internet, I found that Sennheiser has a materials lab to conduct plastic research. It must help, because the plastic on these things just won't break. They isolate outside sound amazingly too so that you can save some of your hearing by not turning it up as loud. All parts are user replaceable if they do break too. You cannot go wrong with these. They aren't flashy at all, but the functionality can't be beat, so obviously, this is my reccomendation. The $190 I paid is so worth it given that I'll never buy another pair again thank god.

P.S.
For those of you w/broken headphones who want to recoupe some cost, I've been getting about $30 for each broken pair on ebay if you want to give that a try.....people must think they can fix them or something.
punosion 8:52 PM - 19 March, 2006
Quote:
Sony 7506's:
Awesome, awesome earphones. Metal pieces where it counts so they don't break. They don't have the DJ blingy look, but they are solid and relatively cheap too!

Sennheiser HD-25:
The ABSOLUTE BEST, CLEAREST, LOUDEST, MOST COMFORTABLE, MOST DURABLE headphones for DJs in the world. From some looking around on the internet, I found that Sennheiser has a materials lab to conduct plastic research. It must help, because the plastic on these things just won't break. They isolate outside sound amazingly too so that you can save some of your hearing by not turning it up as loud. All parts are user replaceable if they do break too. You cannot go wrong with these. They aren't flashy at all, but the functionality can't be beat, so obviously, this is my reccomendation. The $190 I paid is so worth it given that I'll never buy another pair again thank god.

I promised to post pics of the HD-25's for DeezNotes...I can also post pics of the 7506's, which would be much better contenders for a solid DJ can than the others. The metal pieces makes these nice and solid, but not quite as solid as the Senn's. Not quite as much isolation as the Senn's either, but they go all the way around the ear and can go loud very easily.

Please...DON'T get suckered-in by all the other "DJ headphones" that look like offshoots of the MDR-V700 trend, with the swivel joints and shiny silver. Go for build quality first...the sound quality usually follows.
Roctakon2.0 10:42 PM - 19 March, 2006
Technics with the coild cord........Had mine for two years before they broke ............Thats a lifetime for headphones..........
Tom 11:57 PM - 19 March, 2006
sony mdr-v6. Had em about three years. They've taken a sh*t load of abuse and still do the job, but I really want nice parts-replacable Sennheisers. At least until I can afford the thousand dollar custom shaped Ultimate Ears UE-10 pros. Drool.
DjWoody 3:17 AM - 20 March, 2006
I had the Sony's 7506 and they lasted me for well over 5 years! I loved them. Actually, I still have them, they're just worn out. Then a friend of mine bought me the Sony 700's and they're crap! I HATE THEM. They brake too easy.

I ended up buying the Technics RP-DJ1210 about 3 years ago, and I still have them. They work perfect. I love them!
joshua 4:10 AM - 20 March, 2006
i have the sony v6's too, i think those and the 7506s are almost identical, slightly different drivers i think.
i also have the pio hdj1000s, havent broken 'em, but they do sound kinda off, i love my sonys though, and they're relatively cheap, i think i payed 100 bucks for mine like three years ago, those 700s are total shit though, to me they even sound bad, too bassy.
love sony's, just not the 700s.
v600s, 7506s, and i THINK there's a 9506 or something too, may be a step up.
those sony's kick ass, dont know anything about the senns, but user replaceable parts, omg, that in itself just rules, been through a SHITLOAD of headphones through the years, started out in radio, and between my dad and i we went through a pr every 6 months, just doing radio on the weekends, guess that's what happens when you buy koss headphones :-P.
Josh
DJMark 4:21 AM - 20 March, 2006
DJ-ing: Sony MDR-V600

Home: Grado SR225
punosion 4:23 PM - 20 March, 2006
Quote:
i have the sony v6's too, i think those and the 7506s are almost identical, slightly different drivers i think.
i also have the pio hdj1000s, havent broken 'em, but they do sound kinda off, i love my sonys though, and they're relatively cheap, i think i payed 100 bucks for mine like three years ago, those 700s are total shit though, to me they even sound bad, too bassy.
love sony's, just not the 700s.
v600s, 7506s, and i THINK there's a 9506 or something too, may be a step up.
those sony's kick ass, dont know anything about the senns, but user replaceable parts, omg, that in itself just rules, been through a SHITLOAD of headphones through the years, started out in radio, and between my dad and i we went through a pr every 6 months, just doing radio on the weekends, guess that's what happens when you buy koss headphones :-P.
Josh

The Sony 7506's have metal bands for each earpiece and metal-reinforced pieces around the joints. The V600's don't; they're just plastic all around (here's a pic: images.amazon.com).

Sony's got a 7502 (tiny things) and a 7505 (these swivel), but I think the 7506 is at the top-end for sound and build quality.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 5:09 PM - 20 March, 2006
i recently purchased the Pio hdj1000
its ok, sounds kinda "ringy" ,lil bit tight.

I like the Sony MDV-V700DJ had it for almost 3 years, still works but the cups vynil were cracking.

They were very comfortable
Hydrazine 3:06 AM - 21 March, 2006
The Sony 7506 is the "professional" version of the v6 and the 7509 is the "professional" version of the v600. There is a lot of debate whether or not there is any difference between the "professional" version and the home audio version. Many, myself included, think the only difference is the price, the box and the stickers.

I really like the v6/7506. For my tastes the v600/7509 sounds worse (not as bad as the v700DJ though) and the plastic hinges make me nervous (again not as bad as the v700DJ).

The Sennheisers are definitely a step up from any of the Sonys. Though for less than half the price of HD-25s, the v6/7506 holds up well in all areas.
djphilly 3:29 AM - 21 March, 2006
sennheiser hd280
djransom 3:42 AM - 21 March, 2006
I'm using the Pio HDJ 1000s. It's about time to replace them.
punosion 3:54 AM - 21 March, 2006
Quote:
The Sony 7506 is the "professional" version of the v6 and the 7509 is the "professional" version of the v600. There is a lot of debate whether or not there is any difference between the "professional" version and the home audio version. Many, myself included, think the only difference is the price, the box and the stickers.

There has been firm resolve on the issue at www.head-fi.com boards that the "Professional" versions are mostly identical, with the only differences on the 7506 being a slight change in labeling and a gold-plated plug (oh yeah and a higher price). Too bad the V6 is now discontinued.
vidoona 4:04 AM - 21 March, 2006
I like the sound and volume of those HD280s as well. I've never owned a pair, but I have 2 good DJ friends who love theirs.
djrocket 1:27 PM - 21 March, 2006
Anyone used the skullcandy hp's? I got some Technics and the hinge broke halfway thru my first gig with them WTH?? I called PSSL and they told me it was a manufacturer defect and I have to call Technics for this problem.. What the hell happened to customer service? BTW their sound was great until just before they broke!! WPOS..
vidoona 6:00 PM - 21 March, 2006
That's pretty atypical of PSSL. They aren't always the cheapest, but they've always taken good care of me.
DJ Nick Lee 6:12 PM - 21 March, 2006
Sony MDR V-700's. They have a classic clean look with good sound. The only drawback is that sooner or later they always break at the hinge after a year or two.
whitematic 6:29 PM - 21 March, 2006
Sony 600's, Big earcup, great bass sound, no swivel, can be abused and still work well after years and years of packing and re-packing in the gig bag. I have 700's at home, they sound to tinny and not enough low end, and the earcup is small. I hate the swivel.
CQuence 6:32 PM - 21 March, 2006
waitin for UPS to drop off my Ultrasone DJ1 headphones today... if u aint heard of em, read up on them, u will want them lol
DeezNotes 6:45 PM - 21 March, 2006
Quote:
waitin for UPS to drop off my Ultrasone DJ1 headphones today... if u aint heard of em, read up on them, u will want them lol

Sometimes I miss the bass when we use these. They're expensive too.
Dj Ryme 6:50 PM - 21 March, 2006
I just bought the Skullcandy headphones for $40 off ebay to use as backup headphones because I know eventually my Technics are gonna break!
djrocket 4:29 PM - 28 March, 2006
I just bought the Skullcandy headphones for $40 off ebay, since my technics already broke.
Dj Ryme 4:54 PM - 28 March, 2006
I did too, hate to break it to you but those headphones are crap.... they look good in the picture but they are made pretty cheap and the sound quality is crap compared to the technics (which I also have) they would probably be a good back-up pair, but not an every gig pair..... I guess you get what you pay for, I wasnt expecting much for $40 myself. I think the best choice are the Sony's.... only because I hate how tight the Technics are around my neck.....
djrocket 6:45 PM - 28 March, 2006
Quote:
I did too, hate to break it to you but those headphones are crap.... they look good in the picture but they are made pretty cheap and the sound quality is crap compared to the technics (which I also have) they would probably be a good back-up pair, but not an every gig pair..... I guess you get what you pay for, I wasnt expecting much for $40 myself. I think the best choice are the Sony's.... only because I hate how tight the Technics are around my neck.....

yeah... I don't expect much for $40, but it's better than paying technics money and them breaking at your first gig.
Layer 8 7:37 PM - 28 March, 2006
Technics RPDH1200
Sennheiser HD25's
djrocket 8:24 PM - 28 March, 2006
Sennheiser HD25's are next on the scope
djrocket 3:33 PM - 7 April, 2006
keeping it alive...

I got the Skulcandy TI's last week and used them for my gig last Sat. First thing I have to say is.. they are not sony or techs and don't feel that way either. The packaging was just as good as the techs that broke on me during their first gig. They come with a spare set of cushions, ¼” adapter, and carry sack. The sound is ok, I think it lacks the lower frequencies. The cups did do a decent job at blocking most of the outside noise. The swibles work well and the cups rotate freely to any position desired (the way I like them to). The headphones def. look good (I got the black ones). They feel light, inexpensive, and not as comfortable due to the lack of cushion on the ear cups. My verdict.. These are prob the best set of hp’s for their price. Definitely a great spare/second set. My main gripe is the cup cushions or lack of. I feel that if more cushion was added the comfort level would improve and so would the blocking of background noise. A coiled cord would be nice feature also, but for $40.00 what do you expect. I’ll have to report back on their durability, but so far they already outlasted my technics, which I’m still waiting to get the warranty replacement from Panasonic. I’m sure the problem I had with my techs was a rare/freak problem. I expect more durability for the price I paid for those things. Maybe I should just stick to the inexpensive hp’s

BTW
The best pair I have used has been the old Koss HV/1A, the kind that Jazzy Jeff is pictured with in the "Rock the House" album.
djransom 3:50 PM - 7 April, 2006
Pio HDJ1000s & Sony MDR V700s. The Pios need to be repaired.
OG Supernatural 8:19 PM - 7 April, 2006
Ha! I liked my Pio HDJ1000's but they died. I replace them with the Denon 1000's... NO LIKE
Niral 9:02 PM - 7 April, 2006
Any reviews on the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro?
vidoona 11:23 PM - 8 April, 2006
I don't own a pair, but have used them many times. I like them a lot and they are a great bargain......but I'd consider the hd-25's.
JayB1200 11:57 PM - 8 April, 2006
i got the sony mdr-v600, ive had them for for almost 2 1/2 years now and there still going strong...
djxatl 2:04 AM - 9 April, 2006
the hd 280's are modular if i remember correctly
Peeti-V 1:14 AM - 29 April, 2006
my pioneers hdj1000s are no longer working on one side.....i have had them for years...they didn't physically break or anything....one side just went out.....are they repairable or should i look at some other phones
vidoona 2:43 AM - 29 April, 2006
Not worth the hassle Peeti......get some hd-25's. I've owned a lot of pairs and these are the best (see post above). They don't got the bling factor, but they are the best things ever.
punosion 3:21 AM - 29 April, 2006
Quote:
Not worth the hassle Peeti......get some hd-25's. I've owned a lot of pairs and these are the best (see post above). They don't got the bling factor, but they are the best things ever.

x eleventy billion
Peeti-V 6:47 PM - 29 April, 2006
i really like the sound of the pios....are hd-25s that much better......fyi i hate sony's which is completely personal choice.....they have really screaching mid-highs to me which just don't sound good.....i prefer a more bass heavy headphone
punosion 7:01 PM - 29 April, 2006
Peeti-V, I don't think you'd be disappointed in the HD-25's. I went to a place where I knew I could find a review in 30 seconds, so here is a link to HeadRoom. They do reviews on all the headphones they sell, whether they be good or bad, and their reviews are spot-on:

www.headphone.com

Note the frequency response chart at the right side...those are HeadRoom's measurements, not factory specs:

graphs.headphone.com

I'll pimp my pictures of the HD-25's (and the 7506's) again:

scratchlive.net

Personal experience tells me that the Sony MDR-7506 is really a different beast than the V600 or the V700DJ's. I see the 7506's on the heads of a lot of pro DJ's as well, but the HD-25's still top them.
DJ AM 10:07 PM - 29 April, 2006
technics RP-DJ1200 are to me the best headphones for DJing clubs ever made
rfnunchuks 3:20 AM - 15 June, 2006
Quote:
I've owned A LOT of pairs of DJ headphones lately, so here's my take on my experiences with each ending with my current and by far best two pairs that I bought after seeing this thread. Keep in mind I take really good care of my headphones and am not overly abusive (just on and off the ear(s) a bunch of times during a gig). Maybe I just have bad luck....

Pioneer HDJ-1000's:
Sound nice, but broke after 6 months....plastic is cheap but slightly better that the Sonys.

Stanton 3000's:
Sound like the Sony's, but the plastic is absolute crap. I broke mine, got them fixed under warranty and then they broke again all within 5 months.

Sony MDV-V700DJ:
They're kinda the standard, but it's not a matter of if they'll break, but when. Once again, cheap ass plastic. I've owned 3 pairs over the years.

Shure In Ear Monitors (I had the 400 model):
Still have them, they still work and sound great. Very loud too, but they are not good for DJ use. I like them on the airplane and on my portable, but that's about it.

Technics RPDH1200:
Lasted longer than all the other plastic models (9 months) but still broke.

Sony 7506's:

Sennheiser HD-25:

P.S.
For those of you w/broken headphones who want to recoupe some cost, I've been getting about $30 for each broken pair on ebay if you want to give that a try.....people must think they can fix them or something.

jesus.. i'm never letting you borrow my headphones!
DJUltimate 3:43 AM - 15 June, 2006
I just bought my 2nd pair of Technics headphones because my 1st pair broke (one earphone stopped working) after almost 2 years of HEAVY ABUSIVE use. I was told by a few people in the industry that the life expectancy of DJ headphones is generally about 12 months, so I was lucky I guess.
rfnunchuks 3:58 AM - 15 June, 2006
am i the only dj in the world that doesn't break their headphones? i had mine for around 4 years now and the only thing that broke was my connector that was easily fixed thanks to radioshack.
punosion 4:09 AM - 15 June, 2006
Time for some HD-25's, DJUltimate. I'm going to start sounding like a Sennheiser sales robot, but seriously...you'll thank me later.
Trat 6:19 AM - 15 June, 2006
Quote:
Time for some HD-25's, DJUltimate. I'm going to start sounding like a Sennheiser sales robot, but seriously...you'll thank me later.

You are so right. I have mine for more than 8 years now and I only needed to replace the ear cusions once. IMO they're just the best you can get...
Niro 6:14 PM - 15 June, 2006
Ultra Sound DJ1's, they saved my ears. Still use shiney technics headphones at home. But, the ultra sound ones are really good.

S
soon-2-be-ex-FS2user 6:25 PM - 15 June, 2006
i plan to use the Scratch Rane screen. i herd loud music of bass will hurt the drum ears. thanks
earwolf 8:20 PM - 15 June, 2006
soon-2-be-ex-FS2user 10:29 PM - 15 June, 2006
what is that?
earwolf 12:02 AM - 16 June, 2006
a very good question
DJLorrence 12:20 AM - 16 June, 2006
lol
lesterdiamond 1:51 AM - 16 June, 2006
pioneer hdj-1000. I like em better than the son v-700
Maskrider 9:42 AM - 16 June, 2006
Sony's right now but I'm thinking of Buying Technics
djransom 10:46 AM - 16 June, 2006
Sony V700s. My HDJ-1000s gave up on me so my friend sent them to Pio for repair and they sent him back a new pair that he's currently using.
1200LTD 1:54 AM - 18 June, 2006
for me Sennheiser HD-25... I've been using it for 6 years, replaced the ear cushion about 2 times. : )
tekmoe 5:36 AM - 18 June, 2006
ultrasone dj1 pro's. 'nuff said.
punosion 5:49 AM - 18 June, 2006
Quote:
for me Sennheiser HD-25... I've been using it for 6 years, replaced the ear cushion about 2 times. : )

Each part us easily replaceable on those, too.
DJ_CARY 6:29 AM - 18 June, 2006
Sony V700's

and my all time favorite SONY V900's from www.DUO-AUDIO.COM

can't wait fro some GRADO's...sooon!
punosion 6:32 AM - 18 June, 2006
Wouldn't recommend any Grado's for DJ work. I'm not sure if ANY of their models are closed-back headphones...in other words, no isolation from external noise. Big problem.
1200LTD 6:43 AM - 18 June, 2006
Quote:
Wouldn't recommend any Grado's for DJ work. I'm not sure if ANY of their models are closed-back headphones...in other words, no isolation from external noise. Big problem.

I agree with you... Grado's are good specially those with wooden ear cups! the RS series.
DJMark 6:53 AM - 18 June, 2006
Grado's are great for listening at home but would be terrible for DJ-ing...tried them for that ONCE.
earwolf 2:41 PM - 18 June, 2006
oh my days there are still people in this thread trying to suggest alternatives to hd25's. you do realise thats like saying pinky and fs are alternatives to serato right? WAKE UP!!!!!!
DJ KEVLAR 4:56 PM - 18 June, 2006
I am rockin tha Technics, not sure of the model off hand but they are the ones most Djs use when usin the thechnics. They are loud as hell and comfy on tha ears!

I sed to rock a cheap pair until i did a gig with them and coulnt hear a thing in them over the monitors. THAT SUCKED!

Peace!
punosion 6:11 PM - 18 June, 2006
Quote:
oh my days there are still people in this thread trying to suggest alternatives to hd25's. you do realise thats like saying pinky and fs are alternatives to serato right? WAKE UP!!!!!!

I keep posting and posting about them...some day, people are gonna' thank me. >:) To be fair, this thread is for what headphones people are using, not what they should buy. ;) Just had to suggest against the Grado's because they might not know what they're getting into if they need headphones for the club or something.

Time to pimp my photos of the HD-25, if there's any interest in them: scratchlive.net
1200LTD 9:48 PM - 18 June, 2006
Quote:

every Dj's got different taste when it comes to headphones, it's like choosing which CD player or Turntables they prefer and not all DJ's can afford a $200 headphones.
but I prefer Sennheisers I've got 2 of them 1 is HD-25 13 (600ohms) the ones that are made in Germany not Ireland and the other is ordinary HD-25 (75ohms) which is made in Ireland. : )
ejayian 11:25 PM - 18 June, 2006
i got these 3 year old radio shacks that dont work on one side but heck i only use one side anyway.
boabmatic 11:00 AM - 19 June, 2006
Quote:

Time to pimp my photos of the HD-25, if there's any interest in them: scratchlive.net

nice pics...but u got the fake made in ireland ones :) hahaaaa

I got mine a while back and have got made in germany on the headband.

didn't know they had set-up a factory in ireland..
DeezNotes 1:45 PM - 19 June, 2006
I wish the HD-25's came with a coiled cord. How much does the coiled cord cost?
DJUltimate 3:12 PM - 19 June, 2006
The HD's don't look very versatile or comfortable. What's with the split headband? They almost look more like studio/production headphones than DJ headphones. But I could be wrong.
Trat 9:28 PM - 19 June, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

nice pics...but u got the fake made in ireland ones :) hahaaaa

I got mine a while back and have got made in germany on the headband.

didn't know they had set-up a factory in ireland..

Dude, what's the difference? Mine got Germany on it, but Pakistan would be nice too. Nobody cares.
punosion 9:33 PM - 19 June, 2006
Quote:
The HD's don't look very versatile or comfortable. What's with the split headband? They almost look more like studio/production headphones than DJ headphones. But I could be wrong.

Tell you the truth, they're not as comfortable, but they isolate better than anything else I've tried. They also sound great.
Alixx J 9:38 PM - 19 June, 2006
Quote:
I wish the HD-25's came with a coiled cord. How much does the coiled cord cost?

Yes you do need a coiled cord as they are stupidly short on the HD-25 headphones, i got a phillips coiled cord for 6 quid off ebay - it works perfect. Its strange as i also have the sp (cheaper) version and the cord on those are a reasonable length.

I dont think the country where they are made makes a difference on the headphone, my SP's say made in germany and my 25's say made in Ireland.
punosion 9:43 PM - 19 June, 2006
The 25-SP's also have cords on both cups and the non-funky headband, right? I hear those don't sound as good in the highs and don't go as low as the normal 25's, but the longer cord would definitely be a nice addition to the 25's.
earwolf 11:40 PM - 19 June, 2006
the sp's are NOTHING like the 25's. do NOT be confused. the sp's are infuriating garbation, the 25 is a bona fide classic
s42000 1:57 AM - 20 June, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

Each part us easily replaceable on those, too.

BEST HEADPHONES MONEY CAN BUY .... I wonder why someone would even consider anything else .... The HD-25 NOT the HD-25sp
romerom 3:56 AM - 20 June, 2006
right now i'm rocking the TECHNICS RP-DH1200 !!! these are the shit.. replaceable cord which is key.. i have a couple pairs of sony mdrv700's and the cord is always fucking up!! i've had to manually solder these bitches numerous times.

the cord hasn't screwed up on me yet on the technics, but if/when it does, i'M GOOD since they're replaceable :)
Alixx J 5:28 PM - 20 June, 2006
Yeah i had some of those new technics ones, i got them off ebay brand new for 80 quid and within a month one of the earcups took a dump. Panasonic said they wouldnt repair them under warrenty because ebay/the seller was not an authorised dealer. I thought ok, i will just pay then (seeing as i saved a packet on them in the first place), took them to get repaired and the dealer said i needed an entire new headband as the wire running accross the band was too delicate to replace - they then proceeded to quote me 105 pounds for a new headband + labour!! So i thought sod that!

I thought they sounded great too and they felt pretty solid, well pissed off that they broke - they now sit in my car boot for emergencies.
Peeti-V 5:44 PM - 20 June, 2006
I used to use the Pio 1000s but they stopped working in one ear. My choice for new headphones were between the sennheiser and the ultrasones....even though I am sure the sennheisters are remarkable, I apted to go with the ultrasones dj-1 Pro headphones and I am very happy with my purchase. First, I do not like small headphones, I prefer a larger ear cup. Secondly, the ultrasones protect your hearing and this is one thing that ultrasones prides themselves in.
SO HOW DO THEY WORK? They are awesome. I compared the sound of my Pios to the Ultrasones. The Pios almost sound muffled compared to the Ultrasones. The Ultrasones are crystal clear. The Pios do have more bass and are able to be cranked up louder..however even though the Ultrasones cannot be pushed as loud as the Pios, they are loud enough and the fact that the sound so much more clearer does make a huge difference.
Another thing that is impressive with the Ultrasones is that they are comfortable and do not hurt your ears. No more red ears from pressing the headphones so tight to the ear. The headphones actually cup over your ear and do not press flush against your head. This sounds strange but actually prevents "red ear." I really do feel like the Ultrasones protect your hearing as well because I have not had any hurting within my ear at all since using them. This was not the case with the Pios. Now some critics may say that I just needed to turn it down on my Pios, but I already had it at a low level
In general, I am very happy with my purchase and I made the right choice FOR ME! I don't want to be deaf at the age of 23 (1 year away), I really want to preserve my hearing and still be able to rock a crowd. Below is a pic of me using them at my weekly residency.

sac.napkinnights.com
s42000 5:51 PM - 20 June, 2006
Quote:
they now sit in my car boot for emergencies.

Car Boot = Trunk
s42000 5:51 PM - 20 June, 2006
:)
punosion 8:34 PM - 20 June, 2006
Nice review, Peeti-V!

Quote:
I really do feel like the Ultrasones protect your hearing as well because I have not had any hurting within my ear at all since using them.

You nailed it. How hard do they clamp on your head?

Whatever you cats use, you HAVE to wear something that isolates well against outside noise. If not, you have to turn up your headphones to overpower the outside noise coming in. It's a vicious cycle, but could quickly end up with your headphones blasting louder (to your ears) than the club system.
rlaci 9:11 PM - 20 June, 2006
sennheiser hd 25 is the best
sinjintek 1:14 AM - 21 June, 2006
I hate how so many people judge Sony by the quality of the V700s, as if they were the only headphones Sony offered. I think V700s are just flashy looking, so every dj gets them so that they'll look cool. Truth be known, Sony makes much better models.

I use Sony MDR V600 headphones. my second pair, i love em.

I made the mistake of giving my first pair along with a setup I sold to a close friend. I had purchased V700s, which of course cracked. I had to fight with Sony to send me the parts to fix it with, since they were beyond the 90 day warranty Sony provided. The second time they broke, I bought another pair of V700s...which ended up breaking in two. Enough was enough, I went back to the V600s and they're as pristine as they were 2 years ago.

Speaker-wise, the V600 and the V700 are the same according to the spec sheet. Overall I find the cups to be far more comfy on the V600, but I admit I wouldn't mind the swivel ability.

In more recent days, Sony have offered the V6 Studio headphones. I know of a few people personally that swear by them. I've also noticed the new V900 model...which I might add looks like an evolution of the V600 (whut whut).

However, I gotta admit...when it comes time for new cans, I'll be ordering the Sennheiser HD-25 :)
punosion 1:46 AM - 21 June, 2006
Honestly, the Vx00 models--all of them--are nothing to write home about. I've used them all, and I had the V700DJ's for a while. I used the V600's quite a bit on a DJ setup and, yeah, not much different in sound but INFINITELY more comfortable than the V700DJ's..I will warn you, though, the HD-25's are not as comfortable as they don't go around your entire ear, but the trade-off is incredible isolation.

The V6 was offered by Sony, but sadly they have been discontinued. The V6's were exactly the same as the 7506's that are still available today, only the 7506's are marketed towards a "Professional" market and have a gold plug. That's it, everything else is/was the same...oh, besides the price...about $60 for the V6 and $100 for the 7506. I've seen a lot of DJ's with the 7506's, but they don't isolate nearly as well as the HD-25 and don't sound quite as good.
Trat 9:16 PM - 22 June, 2006
All other phones bleak away against the sennheiser HD25. You just wil never have to buy a seconds pair cause they last for a very long time.
DJLorrence 9:31 PM - 22 June, 2006
these hds sound great
earwolf 11:20 PM - 22 June, 2006
i heard the sennheiser hd25 are good headphones. has anyone ever heard of them?
s42000 12:48 AM - 23 June, 2006
Quote:
i heard the sennheiser hd25 are good headphones. has anyone ever heard of them?

Yes ... best darn headphones ever ..... and every part is replacable ... after 10 yrs.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 2:38 PM - 23 June, 2006
HD25 is mos def on my "next to buy once i get rid of my other gear" list
ejayian 10:25 PM - 25 June, 2006
just got me the technics rp-dh1200 from the flea market, used but great condiditon, someone was walking around with them & I went up & asked how much he bought them for, he told me $10 so I offered him $20
DJ GaFFle 8:18 PM - 28 June, 2006
Quote:
All other phones bleak away against the sennheiser HD25. You just wil never have to buy a seconds pair cause they last for a very long time.

I don't see how you can get past the cheesy cheap looking cords on them. The cords look like they belong on a set of iPod headphones!?!

I would probably give these a try if a coil cord came with 'em. I'm not trying to mess with any coil extensions either...

What's worse is the plug end...A 1/4 adapter seems like it'll slip right off. These things seem like they were designed for Sony Walkmans.
DeezNotes 8:59 PM - 28 June, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

I don't see how you can get past the cheesy cheap looking cords on them. The cords look like they belong on a set of iPod headphones!?!

I would probably give these a try if a coil cord came with 'em. I'm not trying to mess with any coil extensions either...

What's worse is the plug end...A 1/4 adapter seems like it'll slip right off. These things seem like they were designed for Sony Walkmans.

Those are a few of the things that has kept me from trying them. That and the swivel factor.
1200LTD 9:33 PM - 28 June, 2006
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Those are a few of the things that has kept me from trying them. That and the swivel factor.

Why not buy the HD-25-13 with a 1/4 plug no adapter or change the cables to "Cardas" : )
1200LTD 9:36 PM - 28 June, 2006
"Cardas" cables for your HD-25 let's see who's cheap. : )
DJ GaFFle 9:59 PM - 28 June, 2006
I went to Guitar Center and tried the following:

Technics 1000
Denon DN-HP1000
Sony V900
Sony 7506
Beyerdynamic DT250-80
Ultrasone Proline 650
Sennheiser HD280
AKG ?

They were all on some sort of music display console with seperate gains and a 1/4 output plug into the individual headphones. The music was coming from a DVD/CD player with different types of musical selections.

Out of the above, my top 4 were the Denons, Beyerdynamics, Sennheiser and Sony 7506.

Out of the top 4 (for ruggedness and sound quality):

1...Denons - with the gains turned up, these got really loud but not overly distorted unless too much volume was given. I believe the impedence spec is lower therefore these were more efficient. This results in minimum power=loud sound. The bass response was good. Overall sound was really full. I did not like that the design was similar to Sony V700 (which I currently own...most people say these break easily within several months of normal usage).

2...Beyerdynamic - Very comfortable. Large earcups but the felt is soft and comfy. The sound was just as good as the Denons but it seemed to be less bass. It did not seem to get loud enough however with the gains turn all the way up. The size of the earcups were large but the entire unit on your head fit snug. They are well constructed and had more metal but lack the fold-ability of typical DJ headphones (I could deal with it though considering the comfort and look). These seemed like they could take a long term beating. Replaceable ear surrounds.

3...Sennheiser - About the same sound quality as the Beyer's but had super isolation. With nothing playing and the headphones on, I could snap my fingers and not hear any sound. I would have preferred these overall, especially considering they were rugged and nicely priced at $99 but they are UGLY. With these on your head, you WILL look like ROBBIE-THE-ROBOT! The arms stick waaaay out. Looks like ole-skool antennas on a TV.

4...Sony 7506 - Excellent sound quality but considering me and several friends have the older MDR-V6s and ALL of our ear pieces have disentegrated to just foam, choosing these would be a negative.

As a note:

Ultrasone's - Sucked. Don't believe the marketing hype. The blue color is cheesy looking and the cheap plastic looks like they're getting over and will make huge profits per unit sold. It was airy and sounded like Dixie cups. (ya'll be the judge)

Sony V900 - Too bulky. I did not give a long listen to but if the V600 is any indication, then I'd give a resounding negative. I believe these were the most expensive at over $240.

Technics - I didn't even try these on. I'd heard that these will break due to cheap construction. As soon as I picked it up to try it on, I noticed one of the swivels attached to the ear pieces was already broken.

AKG - These didn't really look like DJ headphones so I didn't try'em.
DJ GaFFle 10:14 PM - 28 June, 2006
Quote:

Why not buy the HD-25-13 with a 1/4 plug no adapter or change the cables to "Cardas" : )

...Because I could buy a replacement Turntable for the ridiculous price they are charging...$394, ouch!

I don't see the difference in it and the regular HD-25 except the cable appears more decent. After thinking on it, I don't think I'd want any headphones as a DJ unless it came with a coil cord. I can imaging stepping on a straight cable all night.

That Cardas product seems like it's for audiophiles.
DJ GaFFle 10:23 PM - 28 June, 2006
DISCLAIMER...To anyone who owns the above headphones I made negative comments on, NO oFFENse... Just my opinion when I'm considering coming out of my pocket for a purchase.
punosion 11:33 PM - 28 June, 2006
Quote:

It's a friggin' cord, big deal. ;) I agree that it could have a longer cord, maybe a coiled cord, but I think they actually sell a coiled cord as a replacement. Not ideal, but if you liked the headphones and hated the cord, that's the way to go. Here's a pic of the factory headphone plug: (www.icixsound.com). It's very hard molded plastic, so I don't see how this could be any more vulnerable than any other 1/8" headphone plug. It's machined well so it fits nice and securely in any 1/8" socket, including 1/8" to 1/4" adapters. This is a pic of where the cable first meets the headphones: (www.icixsound.com), and a pic of one of the wires entering the cup: (www.icixsound.com). IMHO, the best-designed connections I've seen on a headphone. One of the earcups does swivel, though not in the most conventional way. Anyway, if you want to wear one on/one off, just pull one cup off your ear and put it in front or behind your ear...these headphones are so small they don't consume half your head if you do this.
s42000 3:15 AM - 29 June, 2006
Quote:
DISCLAIMER...To anyone who owns the above headphones I made negative comments on, NO oFFENse... Just my opinion when I'm considering coming out of my pocket for a purchase.

Me thinks you need to try the HD-25 (not SP) ... the sound will just blow you away.
punosion 3:44 AM - 29 June, 2006
Another thing with the HD-25's...the cord is real short, like, 5 feet. Definitely annoying because you really need to take them on and off to crouch down and dig in crates...but Serato kinda' changes that. ;)
DJ GaFFle 6:34 AM - 29 June, 2006
...When I'm at the club, patrons come up and make request. I can see yanking the cord from the mixer every time I try to lean over and take song requests. I also think the 1/8 should screw into 1/4 adapters like DJ specific headphones usually are.

Quote:
Me thinks you need to try the HD-25 (not SP) ... the sound will just blow you away.

I just may try 'em but I don't won't to have to spend the money to experiment. I wish GC or some other local store here carried them.
DJ Stuart (AR) 7:25 AM - 29 June, 2006
SONY MDR-7506. Built like a tank. Great sound.
Non of that silver plastic crap techno djs are using.

www.djstuart.com.ar
earwolf 10:22 AM - 29 June, 2006
> I also think the 1/8 should screw into 1/4 adapters like DJ specific headphones usually are.

Yes this is the best appraoch IMO. My Beyer DT250's although unsuitable for DJing, have an excellent cable system, decent coiled cord, screw adapter and durable 6 pin plug into left side earpiece. Woo haaaaa!!! Anyways did I mention in this thread yet that the HD25 kicks ass and if you don't own them you are basically admitting to the entire internet you are an idiot virgin?
DJ GaFFle 11:27 AM - 29 June, 2006
...BTW, the above Beyerdynamic I reviewed was the 770 model. Although, I have still heard the 250 is just as good.
djrocket 12:48 PM - 29 June, 2006
Quote:
Anyways did I mention in this thread yet that the HD25 kicks ass and if you don't own them you are basically admitting to the entire internet you are an idiot virgin?

LOL

I find it funny how every topic here now turns in insults.. I do have to agree that straight cables suck and so do extensions, I wish someone would make a coiled replacement for the HD25's
punosion 3:18 PM - 29 June, 2006
Quote:
...When I'm at the club, patrons come up and make request. I can see yanking the cord from the mixer every time I try to lean over and take song requests. I also think the 1/8 should screw into 1/4 adapters like DJ specific headphones usually are.

Yeah, if you move anything beyond a 5 ft. radius of your mixer, HD-25's might get quite annoying. I fully agree that the adapter should screw into the barrel of the headphone plug.

Those Beyer DT-770's...awesome headphone for bassheads. I owned a pair a few years back and I absolutely loved them...might not be enough isolation for the clubs and whatnot, but they had great sound and they were VERY comfortable.

Quote:
...I wish someone would make a coiled replacement for the HD25's

djrocket, I was sure they made coiled replacement cords for the HD-25...they don't? I have to go dig around now...
DJ GaFFle 12:17 AM - 3 July, 2006
Any update on that coil cord. I really want to purchase these headphones but the lack of coil cord sucks. I sent an email to Sennheiser inquiring about it...waiting for a reply...
djrocket 12:52 AM - 3 July, 2006
pon, I don't know either way. Gaf, let us know what you find out.
anewsome 2:37 AM - 3 July, 2006
Well I finally took some time to tune into this thread because my Pioneer HDJ 1000s have reached the finish line. Looks like everyone is sayin the Sennheisers are the way to go. I guess I'll have to check into those and see how much I can get em for.

I was a little unimpressed that the HDJ 1000s only lasted 6 months. I take care of my stuff. I only gig 2-3 times a week but still they are falling apart right now. For how much I paid for em, I expected more than 6 months.
DJ GaFFle 2:48 AM - 3 July, 2006
Okay,

I was about to give up on the HD-25 coil cords but I found this link: audio-technica-headphones.nouns.be

I haven't looked deep into all the links of it but I'm hoping I get some Serato-forum crew help.
DJ GaFFle 2:50 AM - 3 July, 2006

audio-technica-headphones.nouns.be/

Sorry, you might have to copy and paste the above link. For some reason the SSL link does not work.
DJ GaFFle 2:58 AM - 3 July, 2006
Forget the above links I posted. Just a waste of time...
DJ Tronzo 4:11 AM - 3 July, 2006
Sony 700's, the industry standard.
DJ d.range 7:37 AM - 3 July, 2006
technics rpdh12oo
keilamym 10:58 PM - 3 July, 2006
sony 700s
vidoona 1:09 AM - 4 July, 2006
HD-25's are still the best.........no comparison
DJ GaFFle 10:00 PM - 5 July, 2006
Okay guys,

I found out that Sennheiser has a euro-only cable and it is available next week, see original Sennheiser rep comments below:

"That Euro cable will be available beginning next week; order as many of the 074532 3.5M cables as you'd like, at only $15.64 each.

Please dial me directly if you're interested in the custom cable, service administrator will ask for more money.

Best regards,

Gabe Panko
Service Tech, Sennheiser Electronic Corp.
860 434-9190 x108 | www.sennheiserusa.com

I hope this helps. I'm gonna get try that headphone now...
DJ GaFFle 10:00 PM - 5 July, 2006
Oh yeah, the above cable is a coil cord!
DJ Nevoc 11:05 PM - 5 July, 2006
Ive had the Sony 700s for the last 6 years, I just noticed that they are cracked on the swivels, but hell you can get some plastic repair stuff @ Autozone for a couple bones. Why buy a whole new set when you can fix it.

I have tried the Shure Ear buds. We use these in the Army but they are made by a company called CCP. They work great out of the club, but I didnt like them in the club
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 11:28 PM - 5 July, 2006
i just use black gaffer's tape.
punosion 3:07 AM - 6 July, 2006
Nice, DJ GaFFle! Thanks for posting that!
phil 3:37 AM - 6 July, 2006
After my 700s Sonys broke, i switched to Sony MDR-CD570....

Compared to the 700s the CD570s are lightweight and much more comfortable.
Alixx J 4:15 PM - 6 July, 2006
I remember at high school where the mobile DJ booked to do the end of year party used (wait for it!!) a TELEPHONE receiver as his headphone. Crazy...
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 7:44 PM - 6 July, 2006
Quote:
I remember at high school where the mobile DJ booked to do the end of year party used (wait for it!!) a TELEPHONE receiver as his headphone. Crazy...
haha! that musta been hilarious! did that dj do well?
DJ GaFFle 8:46 PM - 6 July, 2006
UPDATE:

It seems that $15 cable is a straight one but it's just longer at about 11ft. In order to have a COIL CORD, you can either buy theirs and find your own cord to make it yourself or consider the below price:

Hello Reggie-

The HD25 cable you are referring to is a Euro only cable...at this time it is not available in the US. We can have our service department create a custom modification for you based on the price schedule below. To contact service, dial x2.

Parts total $75.76
Labor $25
Shipping $4

This is enough incentive for me to try the HD-25's. I'll make my own coil cord if I have to. I've got some beatup MDRv6's that I would mind cutting the coil cord for...
Dj KaGeN 9:24 PM - 6 July, 2006
200th post.
I use Sony looka like technics headphone, and roll with a spare in the car at all times.
djrocket 9:58 PM - 6 July, 2006
Thanks for the info Gaf, I think I'll have to pass on buying these beauties due to the lack of coiled cable...

Did he mention what the difference is between Euro & US? $100.00+ for a cable is a bit much in any planet. I would be willing to bet one of our euro peeps wouldn't mind helping us for a nominal fee...
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 7:18 AM - 7 July, 2006
Quote:
i just use black gaffer's tape.

these thing snapped tha first month... a lil tape did tha trick...been using em fer bout 5 years now (Sony MDR-V300)--> www.nextag.com
sgvxcheese 7:42 AM - 7 July, 2006
sony and pioneer is garbage..first of all their heavy, and their really bulky. sound quality is whatevers too. If you want some the good stuff, audio-technica is the way to go. either get the camolauge ones or the ones that are none. or else its a waste of money. Straight from japan b!
Trat 11:13 AM - 7 July, 2006
Senns HD-25 are just the way to go. If you want a headphone that lasts (both sound- and buildwise), look no further.
DeezNotes 3:15 PM - 7 July, 2006
I've been trying to stay out of this one, but I just can't go with a headphone that doesn't have a coiled cord... so the HD-25's are out for me.

We use Ultrasone's when we're out and they don't press on your ears, so they're comfortable in that aspect. They lack some low-end compared to other headphones, so sometimes it's hard to hear [for me]. My other beef with them is the swivel... they don't swivel as well as Sony headphones and the cups are so big they are very uncomfortable when they're around your neck - if you DJ that way.

The Sony 700s are cool, but they break after time and use. The pads wear down and like everyone else said... they just wear out. Spending that much on a pair of headphones should buy you much more time than that. Maybe replacement parts would help Sony out.

I must admit one thing though... I have some Sony 7505's that were handed down to me by another DJ and they have to be more than 6 years old. The pads are a little worn, but they still have some cushion left on them. I like those better than the 700s, because they're A LOT lighter and I have a small head.
Trat 3:44 PM - 7 July, 2006
Isn't a coiled cord just nasty when it turns into a knot? I've seen that happen with some Sony headphones. Anyway, you can put a coiled cord on a HD-25 if you would like to. Doesn't sound to big of a deal.
DeezNotes 3:50 PM - 7 July, 2006
Quote:
Isn't a coiled cord just nasty when it turns into a knot? I've seen that happen with some Sony headphones.

I've seen it too, but it's usually because a person wraps the cord around the headphones. You can't wrap a coiled cord around anything.

Since I brought up the 7505's.... does anyone know what the difference is between the Sony 7505's and MDR-V500's??
phil 4:01 PM - 7 July, 2006
Quote:
Quote:
ISince I brought up the 7505's.... does anyone know what the difference is between the Sony 7505's and MDR-V500's??

MDR-7505 : Frequency response: 16-22kHz // weight: 9.8 oz.

MDR-V500 : Frequency response: 10-20kHz // weight: 7.8 oz.

according to internet-research
DeezNotes 4:45 PM - 7 July, 2006
Thanks phil.
punosion 5:00 PM - 7 July, 2006
Quote:
Thanks phil.

I'd grain-of-salt that...weight is a good one, but frequency response tells you absolutely nothing about how a headphone actually sounds. I'd guess that there's not much difference between the V500 and 7505, but the 7505 is probably buit a little better (judging from the differences between the V600/700/900 and the 7506).
FU_PAY_ME 8:25 PM - 7 July, 2006
I use my first sony headphones. You can really feel the bass from my fisher price turntables in those headphones. LMAO!!
Alixx J 10:15 PM - 26 July, 2006
Quote:
Quote:
haha! that musta been hilarious! did that dj do well?

A true master... no, really, he couldnt mix for toffee, used his mic inbetween songs and skillfully blurred his words into one big jumble so you didnt understand what he was saying. He thought he was the business though so good for him lol!!
earwolf 12:44 PM - 27 July, 2006
have you got his number? i need to book this cat for the DIDDY after party
Alixx J 1:53 PM - 27 July, 2006
I wish i did hehe, we are talking 6 years ago now since i saw him, last i heard he was doing the hotel circuit in blackpool for all the OAPs...
earwolf 4:10 PM - 27 July, 2006
damn thats smooth
rlaci 7:41 AM - 12 August, 2006
ultrasone or sennheiser ???
rlaci 7:41 AM - 12 August, 2006
what to buy?
earwolf 3:09 PM - 13 August, 2006
sennheiser
Konix 3:21 PM - 13 August, 2006
Quote:
I remember at high school where the mobile DJ booked to do the end of year party used (wait for it!!) a TELEPHONE receiver as his headphone. Crazy

There is a well established DJ in Detroit named Terrence Parker that uses a telephone as a headphone...

smg.photobucket.com
ekwipt 3:55 PM - 13 August, 2006
Sennheiser for me also, i had a pair of technics for a while but i rate the Sennies higher
Julls 4:14 PM - 13 August, 2006
Quote:
Quote:
I remember at high school where the mobile DJ booked to do the end of year party used (wait for it!!) a TELEPHONE receiver as his headphone. Crazy

There is a well established DJ in Detroit named Terrence Parker that uses a telephone as a headphone...

smg.photobucket.com

Damn thats smart. Really cool too. How would go go about wiring this up? I thought a phone has like 6 or 8 wires.
Dj KaGeN 4:19 PM - 13 August, 2006
phone cord from the receiver to headset is 4 wires. but I'd hazard a guess that the speaker is mono and 2 of those wires are all you need to get the speaker to work, just a guess.
Julls 4:24 PM - 13 August, 2006
Ok cool, i'll have to check it out. I think it wold be cooler if you could get one of those office phones that have a hook on the reciever, that hooks on your shoulder.
Dj KaGeN 4:41 PM - 13 August, 2006
I think the hard plastic would hurt like a muddafugga after a couple hours, nice foamy earmuff would be a slice of heaven... I'm also thinkin you're not gonna be getting full range of frequency and the bass will certainly not be sounding right, phones use limited freq. range and certainly the speaker will not be able to handle bangin stuff.... although I've been wrong before.
Julls 4:45 PM - 13 August, 2006
Yeah, I think you do have a point. Maybe i'll stick with my Sony preppy boy silver headphones.
mikep 5:42 PM - 13 August, 2006
I've had the KOSS TD\65 for several years and am still using them for mobile and radio. I like the feel and sound, just the pad covers are starting to "shed" so I think I'll look into replacing the pads instead of buying new phones. It would be nice if they folded for compactness.
perish 6:22 PM - 13 August, 2006
Technics, not sure of the model. But I recommend them.
OG Supernatural 8:38 AM - 14 August, 2006
OK... all this talk about the Sennheiser HD-25's motivated me to get a pair and I don't think they are all that.

Comfortable...yes

Great sound...No

The bass just isn't there and you really have to be careful about the volume level. Used them earlier at a gig and my ears are still ringing.

I think I'll try the Techs next...
punosion 5:16 PM - 14 August, 2006
The bass just isn't there?? Erm, did you get the HD-25's or the HD-25SP? They don't have a lot of bloated bass like, say, the Sony MDR-V700's, but they have an even extension all the way down the frequency range.

I just found some velour earpads that would probably make them 100x more comfortable, and would cause them to sweat a lot less:

www.chemical-records.co.uk
OG Supernatural 6:02 PM - 14 August, 2006
Yeah, I got the HD-25's and I must say they are very light and easy to put on one ear and leave the other off the hear the house mix. I don't have to do the hunchback shoulder thing to keep them on one ear. LOL!

I have been using the Pioneer's and Denon's. Maybe it's because I'm used to hearing them that the bass in the HD-25's seems to be absent.
KMXE 12:07 AM - 15 August, 2006
aren't the HD25's also/meant to be for studio work? This would explain punosion's comment about them having an "even extension all the way down the frequency range". This makes perfect sense as with studio work - you don't want any frequencies boosted - ruins your mix.

im actually gonna pick up a pair today because a lot of people on this forum recommened them. And im gonna use them in the studio when the kids are asleep and i can still pump out beats so hopefully they are everything that everyone says they are!
OG Supernatural 1:58 AM - 15 August, 2006
Let me know what you think when you get em...

I have an old pair of Sony MDR-7506 that I've used for studio work to get an accurate mix-down. I guess I was hoping for more out of the HD-25's for gig use.
Pete Moss 1:59 AM - 15 August, 2006
The MDR-7506 is still the industry standard in broacasting. You will NEVER find a more RUGGED headphone; mine are ancient and still work like new.
OG Supernatural 2:07 AM - 15 August, 2006
Hahaha, last time I used em (Sony MDR-7506)I was wondering what the black specs were on the side of my face... Need new ear pads...LOL!
Pete Moss 2:10 AM - 15 August, 2006
Sounds like mine. Someone told me that you can actually order new ones from Sony.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 2:18 AM - 15 August, 2006
^^ Super, i thinks yous got spoiled by all that b-b-b-b-b-b-Bass coming from your KV2s eversince u plugging both inputs :)
OG Supernatural 2:23 AM - 15 August, 2006
My assistant heard them for the first time this weekend. I caught him staring at the little sub...like whaaaat??? Then he looked at me and said daaaamn. Funny ish!

What cans are you using Mike?
earwolf 11:03 AM - 15 August, 2006
> You will NEVER find a more RUGGED headphone

HD25
EdCallanan 2:37 PM - 15 August, 2006
Im in the Hd25 group aswel, only had to replace the padding once and the cord i think i have 4 years.

Do all of yours say "MADE IN IRELAND" along the top?
punosion 5:07 PM - 15 August, 2006
Quote:
The MDR-7506 is still the industry standard in broacasting. You will NEVER find a more RUGGED headphone; mine are ancient and still work like new.

I have both the HD-25 and the MDR-7506...the HD-25 definitely wins the durability contest, but the 7506 isn't shabby by any means. Metal-backed joints, nice hard plastic, threaded plug. The HD-25's also nose-out the 7506 in sound quality and isolation, but the 7506 is definitely more comfortable.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 11:12 PM - 15 August, 2006
Quote:
My assistant heard them for the first time this weekend. I caught him staring at the little sub...like whaaaat??? Then he looked at me and said daaaamn. Funny ish!

What cans are you using Mike?

bought the Sony MDR-V900 www.musicesp.com a while back, did one gig and realized how much sweat can accumilate around my ears! plus they're heavy and bulky (but sounds great)

been using the Sony's MDR-V300 images.google.com for a minute. thin plastic broke loose, tapped it up with gaffers tape. i only use em to beatmatch/cue.... i prefer to use booth monitors or the actual floor speakers to throw it in tha mix.... i like to hear what the audience is hearing.
DJ GaFFle 11:19 PM - 15 August, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

I have both the HD-25 and the MDR-7506...the HD-25 definitely wins the durability contest, but the 7506 isn't shabby by any means. Metal-backed joints, nice hard plastic, threaded plug. The HD-25's also nose-out the 7506 in sound quality and isolation, but the 7506 is definitely more comfortable.

I guarantee you, if you are human and you sweat, your earmuffs will deteriorate on those 7506's after a couple of years. They sound good though.
punosion 11:57 PM - 15 August, 2006
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yep, mine are starting to go south. I want to get some velour pads for those...less sweating, much more comfort. :)

I guarantee you, if you are human and you sweat, your earmuffs will deteriorate on those 7506's after a couple of years. They sound good though.
punosion 12:02 AM - 16 August, 2006
OK, I suck...let's try again:

Quote:

Yep, mine are starting to go south. I want to get some velour pads for those...less sweating, much more comfort. :)
Pete Moss 12:03 AM - 16 August, 2006
How many heaphones last long enough for them to wear out the foam? I wear mine 20+ hours a week at the station and beat them up all weekend for over five years. They're comfortable, they're solid, and they sound pretty darn good too.

On a side note, I used to have the MDR-V700DJs and they were junk. They sounded awesome; but they made my ears sweat, made me feel like I had a c-clamp on my head, and they broke constantly.
KMXE 1:05 AM - 16 August, 2006
i've given my new HD25s a workout - i am completely impressed with everything. The design, the noise cancellation, the quality is incredible. With my Technics headphones, the lower frequencies always seemed very loud. But the HD25 is very even - i can 'hear' the air around instruments etc. ive already recommened these headphones to about 5 people - these are the best headphones i have ever gotten.
Clark @ Breakin-Records.com 4:17 PM - 16 August, 2006
Many DJ headphones are made to have "bloated"/boomy bass. That's not what I'd want, and would surely cause fatigue.

When I worked at GCenter, I was told by another employee that 7506's commonly were returned. He said one store had a large mound of the from all the returns.

I'm on my second pair of Sony V900's. I dropped a crate on the first pair. I've had this second pair for over three years, with heavy use, without a problem.
punosion 4:26 PM - 16 August, 2006
Quote:
When I worked at GCenter, I was told by another employee that 7506's commonly were returned. He said one store had a large mound of the from all the returns.

I have absolutely no idea why...they're a standard in pro recording studios...
earwolf 6:20 PM - 16 August, 2006
yes but dj's treat their gear somewhat differently to recording engineers innit
punosion 6:24 PM - 16 August, 2006
Quote:
yes but dj's treat their gear somewhat differently to recording engineers innit

I'd expect these things to easily outlast a pair of the ever-popular V700's...I've had both, and my money would go with the 7506's.
s42000 6:25 PM - 16 August, 2006
Quote:
i've given my new HD25s a workout - i am completely impressed with everything. The design, the noise cancellation, the quality is incredible. With my Technics headphones, the lower frequencies always seemed very loud. But the HD25 is very even - i can 'hear' the air around instruments etc. ive already recommened these headphones to about 5 people - these are the best headphones i have ever gotten.

Welcome to the club!
KMXE 11:08 PM - 16 August, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

Welcome to the club!

do i get some sort of freebie for being in the club? :)
Clark @ Breakin-Records.com 2:31 PM - 17 August, 2006
The 7506's were returned not from wear, but because of defects. I was clear on that. I had a pair of 7506's which died maybe six years ago, bought 7-8 years ago. I was planning to buy another pair, then my co-worker told me the horror stories.

I'm known for being detail-oriented with my purchases. I made sure the issues with 7506's had to do with true defects.

At GC, I was shown past the hype on many products. I saw how fragile Tech's could be, too. Certain Mackie amps had problems, too.
punosion 3:31 PM - 17 August, 2006
Quote:
I'm known for being detail-oriented with my purchases. I made sure the issues with 7506's had to do with true defects.

At GC, I was shown past the hype on many products. I saw how fragile Tech's could be, too. Certain Mackie amps had problems, too.

...yet you like the V900's? Ugh.
Pete Moss 6:50 PM - 17 August, 2006
Guitar Center is also a retail store, regardless of the fact they sell pro products. I've heard so many amateurs tell tales of how consumer grade stuff is just as good as some of this pro stuff, etc. Retail stores have such a high return rate compared to dedicated pro-only dealers whose customers typically know more about the product. Sure, I occasionally buy something at Guitar Center (as a last resort), but for everything I buy, 20 average Joe's buy something they don't understand.

btw, the V900's are poorly built compared to the 7506.
punosion 1:07 AM - 18 August, 2006
Quote:

's what I'm talkin' about...no metal-reinforced joints, and they don't sound as good as the 7506's either. I have heard and used both...just couldn't stand for the 900's to be on my head for too long.

Granted, all of the Sony's I've used don't have nearly the isolation as a pair of HD-25's, so while playing out, I'd definitely go with the higher isolation.
Clark @ Breakin-Records.com 3:04 PM - 18 August, 2006
Quote:
Guitar Center is also a retail store, regardless of the fact they sell pro products. I've heard so many amateurs tell tales of how consumer grade stuff is just as good as some of this pro stuff, etc. Retail stores have such a high return rate compared to dedicated pro-only dealers whose customers typically know more about the product. Sure, I occasionally buy something at Guitar Center (as a last resort), but for everything I buy, 20 average Joe's buy something they don't understand.

... maybe so.

The returns were for defects. I know for a fact. They wouldn't have been pilled up in a certain place if they weren't--they would have been returned with a special "ticket."

Also, how can a "pro" know better to use headphones?! They're friggin' headphones! Duh?!
djskeetz 4:11 PM - 18 August, 2006
Quote:

Also, how can a "pro" know better to use headphones?! They're friggin' headphones! Duh?!

hahahhahah. that shit made me laugh.
djskeetz 4:11 PM - 18 August, 2006
im a pro headphone user. i went to MIT for headphonology. haha
Clark @ Breakin-Records.com 4:30 PM - 18 August, 2006
Quote:
im a pro headphone user. i went to MIT for headphonology. haha

You, too?! Me, too!
FS2-4salePM @ soon-2-be-ex-FSuser 11:52 PM - 23 August, 2006
a phone i can using on my head is the nukia. but pictures too also its nice. good fun
earwolf 10:51 AM - 24 August, 2006
Quote:
a phone i can using on my head is the nukia. but pictures too also its nice. good fun

dude you are on heavy heavy meds
Clark @ Breakin-Records.com 2:05 PM - 24 August, 2006
Tuh-Heeee-Heeeeee!!
s42000 5:21 PM - 24 August, 2006
Muuuuuuuuuuhaaaaahahahahahaha !
djskeetz 8:10 PM - 24 August, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

dude you are on heavy heavy meds

LOLLLLLLLLLLLL
G-man NYC 4:33 AM - 29 August, 2006
I spin 4 nights a week and keep my headphones around my neck except when checking the mix... so I need the hinge swivel type hp's which break easier so here's my history.. for what it;s worth.

Over the years... nothing lasts forever but some last longer.

Sony - forget it. 4 plus pairs all broke in the same place.

Pioneer - forget about it. 3 pairs.. One side of the audio will cut out before they break physically but they will break soon after. The mono/stereo switch is dope though.

Technics
RP-DH1200 Headphones - Broke 2 pair after about 6 months each but much burlier than the others... and:

The Denon DN-HP1000

Had these for the last 6 months and they seemed like they could go the distance but the other night they fell apart in like 3 places and tape wasn't cutting it. I had dangling headphones all night. Also, these headphones are LOUD and the Bass almost feels like it's smacking your eardrum which I noticed wore my ears out earlier than the other headphones... it's like having your ear on a real subwoofer all night... maybe too much if you want to hear when you're older.
punosion 5:26 AM - 29 August, 2006
Time for some HD-25's... ;)
OG Supernatural 5:41 AM - 29 August, 2006
Quote:

Pioneer - forget about it. 3 pairs.. One side of the audio will cut out before they break physically but they will break soon after. The mono/stereo switch is dope though.

What a trip... that's exactly what mine did!
Ray N 5:49 AM - 29 August, 2006
Quote:

^^ sounds like terrance parker
dj kiss 3:48 PM - 30 August, 2006
4 Pairs of Sony 700

1 Pair of Pioneers

Been Using my Techs for 2 months now.
Clark @ Breakin-Records.com 11:59 PM - 30 August, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

I don't think either are built "for the rigors of the road."

... maybe so.

The returns were for defects. I know for a fact. They wouldn't have been pilled up in a certain place if they weren't--they would have been returned with a special "ticket."

Clark @ Breakin-Records.com 11:59 PM - 30 August, 2006
I don't think either are built "for the rigors of the road."
Beale Dabbs 2:29 AM - 1 September, 2006
HOLY SHIT! I can hear!

The UPS guy just dropped of my new HD-25's. I just gave them a try for the first time. WOW! I can't believe how long I put up with the crappy sound of my sony 700's. I had almost bought a pair of ultrasone dj1 pros to replace my broken 700's (guess where they broke?) but I was put off by the ultrasone's size and kinda hollow low-mids. I know they're supposed to be broken in but I just couldn't get past the sound. So I ordered a pair of hd-25's on faith.

Hell yeah, I'm happy. I was a little skeptical when I open the box because they're so small and light. At first they seemed like glorified walkman headphones. I took them downstairs and started to spin with them. Unbelievable. Great sound stage. Really smooth highs that go WAAAYY higher than my 700's. After using a bit and really looking them over they don't seem as fragile as I first thought. They're very well made.

My only complaint is the cord. It is too short, like others here have said, and the cable end is a molded right-angle 1/8" plug pushed into a 1/4" adapter. I prefer the way AKG does it with a threaded 1/8" to 1/4" adapter. They don't fold down as nice a my 700's but they're much smaller in bulk so I don't think that will be a problem.

I'll give them a good workout this weekend.
phil 6:53 AM - 1 September, 2006
Quote:
replace my broken 700's (guess where they broke?)

let me guess.... img170.imageshack.us
Julls 2:05 PM - 1 September, 2006
Quote:
Quote:
replace my broken 700's (guess where they broke?)

let me guess.... img170.imageshack.us

hahahahahahaha
Dj KaGeN 2:54 PM - 1 September, 2006
that's some funny shit right there!!!
punosion 3:39 PM - 1 September, 2006
Quote:
HOLY SHIT! I can hear!

I'll give them a good workout this weekend.

Nice, dude! I agree--if those things had a threaded 1/4" plug, and a cord maybe 1.5 or 2 times longer, they'd be perfect.
djrocket 4:11 AM - 5 October, 2006
ok, so I got the warranty replacements headphones from Technics and guess what? the piece of $hit broke in the same place the other did... I might try the ultrasone dj1, but my Skullcandy still working...
G-man NYC 7:20 PM - 6 October, 2006
AKG 181 DJ. Just got these and they're the best I've ever used. Light, comfortable, mono/stereo switch (very useful if using the TTM56 or Xone92 mixers), Replaceable/Switchable cord.

Don't know if they'll stand the test of time but so far so good.
thebulge 10:31 PM - 22 October, 2006
I take everything back I said on the Beyer DJX-1s.

These things do NOT take the necessary punishment that DJ phones require.

THe right cup on mine is now completely held on with electrical tape. and the left cup has developed some cracks. The design is flawed and will not stand the punishment that a DJ requires.

Service.. pah... I have emailed them twice, sent pictures of the problem I have had NO RESPONSE!!

Top it off, the model doesn't seem to exist on their web site anymore... so I can assume that they have discontinued them (no doubt due to the fact they are crap).

STAY AWAY... I wish I had of spent the extra $50 or so on the HD25s now... pah $300 down the drain and they barely lasted a year...
Thundercat 11:04 PM - 22 October, 2006
I finally replaced my cans & went with the Sony V700's. For $89 I couldn't pass 'em up.
OG Supernatural 10:09 AM - 1 January, 2007
These Sony's are gettin worked out!

boobjobsite.com
phil 4:58 PM - 1 January, 2007
Quote:

boobjobsite.com

What Sony's ? ;)
DJ GaFFle 8:49 PM - 1 January, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

boobjobsite.com

What Sony's ? ;)

Lolol!
Dustin Fields 3:05 PM - 4 January, 2007
I have to agree, Sony MDR-V700s, despite being an industry standard, are starting to look like DJM-600s in their old age. That is - when they came out, everyone was gushing about them, but in the past 5 years, there have been tons of products that blow them away.

I got a pair of Denon DNHP-1000 from Silvio & DJ Shy back a couple years ago, and just this weekend had the opportunity to hear them side-by-side with the Sony's that I also own. And the Denons blew them away as far as the clarity is concerned.

As a DJ, I certainly concentrate on percussive instruments, or anything instrument which adds to the rhythm of the tune... And that's where the Denons really kicked ass.

I also own Ultrasone HFI-700s, but they're not specifically DJ headphones, and I wouldn't want to risk breaking them. But the Ultrasones are the best headphones I've ever owned, as far as comfort and sound.

Dustin Fields
Ortofon USA
djknyce 3:47 PM - 4 January, 2007
i use the mdr's
Tommyillfigure 1:05 PM - 5 January, 2007
sennheiser hd25
DjWoody 4:58 PM - 5 January, 2007
I bough the Sony's MDR-7506 last night. Why? Cause they're workhorses!!!! Yeap. They're made out of metal and they don't have those plastic hinges every other headphone has.
OG Supernatural 7:11 PM - 5 January, 2007
I just picked up the Ultrasone's and there bulky. Sound is ok and they are comfy for longe period use as they cover the ear. However, for gigs it's hard to beat the comfort of the HD25's.
Dustin Fields 9:28 PM - 5 January, 2007
Sony 7506s rule, if you take care of your equipment... Otherwise they'll get bent or the wires leading from the headband to the earcups will get jacked...

If I owned 7506s, I would never let anyone else touch em!
DeezNotes 9:36 PM - 5 January, 2007
Quote:
I just picked up the Ultrasone's and there bulky. Sound is ok and they are comfy for longe period use as they cover the ear. However, for gigs it's hard to beat the comfort of the HD25's.

Yeah... they are not comfortable for around the neck use, but they are so much easier on your ears. My ears never rang when I used those. I thought it was because they would never get as loud as other headphones, but someone said it's because the drivers point to a different part of your ear. They also don't press down on your ears which make them comfortable for extended use. I still prefer something more comfortable for around the neck usage.
spinjin 9:38 PM - 5 January, 2007
I just use regular earphones when DJing, like the ones that come with iPods or portable music devices. I used to wear those regular DJing headphones, but no more. I gave up - too big and heavy! I just like the weight off, and with the earphones, I think I look a bit cooler. Ha-ha-haah!!!
prizo 10:50 AM - 26 September, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

smg.photobucket.com
dc
im not sure if these guys used a real phone reciever or not... worked at a trade show in atlantic city a few years ago, there is a company that creates phone reciever headphones for a few hundred a pop. Cool look and idea, not worth money. Gear wasnt bad tho
sopranosupasta 1:00 PM - 26 September, 2007
Techs and i love em.......
earwolf 1:40 PM - 26 September, 2007
hello? is doug e fresh there? no he's not in right now, ca-chuk
shiestO! 2:07 PM - 26 September, 2007
Quote:
HD25's. wouldnt use any other kind

said it before... sennheiser hd25 or stfuplzkthx!
shiestO! 2:10 PM - 26 September, 2007
^^my only problem with em is that the cord's too short. but it's still not a twisty coil cord like most... so it doesn't tangle with itself constantly.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 11:23 PM - 8 February, 2008
just incase anyone has underwater gigs

www.mypopcornmachine.com

SwiMP3

"How Does It Work?
The new SwiMP3 is revolutionary in that it relies on bone conduction of sound. When the device is placed on any bones of the skull (i.e. the cheek bones or the mastoid tip) it leads to vibration of the fluid in the inner ear. Thus swimmers can enjoy clarity of sound with the SwiMP3 device that was never before possible. Bone conduction hearing is a safe, well-established hearing mechanism in humans that the SwiMP3 player leverages to enhance aquatic activity. Finis's application of the technology brings an entirely new level of experience to swimmers, either while working out or taking a leisurely swim."
DJ Prinvale` 11:26 PM - 8 February, 2008
Denon HP1000's. I really like them. They are comfortable and sound good.
DJLRock 11:30 PM - 8 February, 2008
just ordered the ultrasonde dj1 pro's for $175.
Niro 11:33 PM - 8 February, 2008
Quote:

You probably got the big ones, got those and returned them and got the smaller ones. Definitely over the ear type headphones and yes the drivers are angled, so they are not directly pointed at your eardrum. Ears haven't rung since I've been using them.

Niros
a DJ 8:07 AM - 9 February, 2008
Quote:
just ordered the ultrasonde dj1 pro's for $175.

what's the difference between the pros and the regular?
DJLRock 6:04 PM - 9 February, 2008
i dont know if it adds anything besides the switchable earpads, cables, and case. But I was able to get em for $175 instead of $239 so I said screw it and got em.
DJ CDOT 10:41 PM - 24 July, 2008
I swear by my Sennheiser HD25 Mk II's.
DJ GaFFle 11:15 PM - 24 July, 2008
+1
Panic City 6:06 AM - 25 July, 2008
i use aoki's.

mike coquilla is the funniest guy on this board i swear.