Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Music randomly speeds up during playback (hardware connected)

Product
ITCH
Version
Hardware
Numark NS7
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
Papa Midnight 10:36 PM - 8 June, 2012
During playback, songs will randomly speed up. I see this sometimes (though rarely) while playing at exactly +16% or -16% and it has a high chance of occurring while in the +/-50% range.

Conditions: CPU never leaves it's average point. For that matter, it tends to remain static much of the time. No effects controller. Serato Video not enabled. No specific time frame which this occurs at or after. It just happens.

Beatgrids are enabled. SYNC is NEVER used. Disabling Beatgrids does not rectify the issue.

This was seen once in ITCH 2.1 as well, though I thought it was a possible problem with the computer. It happened on an entirely different machine which was running Windows 7 Ultimate. This one is running Mac OS X 10.7.2. Both systems run ITCH 2.2 and similar things occur on both.
Papa Midnight 10:39 PM - 8 June, 2012
Side Note: Tried again. It tends to happen almost immediately (or within 10 seconds) after I load another song in. It will remain sped up (sounds like it's running at double speed until I physically manipulate the vinyl (whether it be stopping it or tapping it).
Papa Midnight 10:45 PM - 8 June, 2012
Correction: It actually does slow it self back down after a bit, but it's definitely a problem. So, I figure, what better way to explain what I'm talking about than just show? Uploading an example video right now.
10:48 PM, 8 Jun 2012
Papa Midnight attached a file: VID_20120608_184215.m4v
Download· Permalink
bluefoot 9:55 AM - 10 June, 2012
Hey PM, I think I had the same issue once on my NS6. It suddenly and randomly starting playing deck 1 as if I was fast-forwarding.

Unfortunately I am getting an error message about permissions so I can't watch your vid to check if it's the same issue.

Just gonna keep on eye on this thread and see if you get any feedback.
Papa Midnight 2:45 PM - 10 June, 2012
Quote:
Hey PM, I think I had the same issue once on my NS6. It suddenly and randomly starting playing deck 1 as if I was fast-forwarding.

Unfortunately I am getting an error message about permissions so I can't watch your vid to check if it's the same issue.

Just gonna keep on eye on this thread and see if you get any feedback.

Hey bluefoot, I've temporarily put it on dropbox so you should be able to see it there.
www.dropbox.com
Papa Midnight 2:46 PM - 10 June, 2012
For the record, it happens on both decks and is not exclusive to any particular one.
bluefoot 6:10 PM - 10 June, 2012
ok,

So i hadnt noticed you are on a NS7 and my issue is on a NS6, however it does look like a very similar bug.

When it happened to me I dont remember if it was as I loaded another song but looking back I think I was at a high pitch. I could not stop it by using the NS6 platters, i could trigger cues on the playing track but it would not pause and it would play at the increased tempo each time I did cue. As I was at a gig I didnt have time to investigate it. I just had to play from a backup source while I shut down itch and rebooted (just in case).
I also couldn't reproduce it when i tried at home, and it hasnt happened since, but I have been concerned it may happen again. Seeing something similar happens to you and that you can reproduce it at extremes of pitch has got me back on this ball.

When I get a free chance I will run a few tests at extremes of pitch range while loading songs in other decks. Won't be for while though as have hours of editing to do this week.
Serato, Support
Matt P 11:32 PM - 11 June, 2012
Hi Papa Midnight,

Sorry to hear about your problem there, and thanks for uploading the video..

I've just tried running a few tests, I haven't had much luck trying to re create it here,

I was wondering if it happens specifically with certain songs? Have you tried analyzing your files to see if it happens on corrupt files?

If its happening with certain songs can you send me the files?

Matt P
12:00 AM, 26 Jun 2012
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.
Papa Midnight 9:12 PM - 30 August, 2012
I am sorry for the late update. Okay, very late update.

There are no specific songs that this occurred with. I began monitoring my cpu for momentary spikes resultant from timestretching anywhere between + or - 16 (+/- 3) and higher (as the behavior seems to be indicative of what happens when a cpu spike occurs) but none has been present (on both Mac OS X and Windows 7). I've been working around it by turning off the motor when adjusting the pitch to such extremes.
Serato, Support
Matt P 1:56 AM - 23 May, 2013
Papa Midnight,

Are you experiencing this issue in Serato DJ now?

Matt p