Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Will Serato Itch Be Compatible With Windows 8

DJPrice_inMD 4:42 PM - 7 June, 2012
Don't count on it being Windows RT compatible.
marcA 5:25 PM - 7 June, 2012
why would,'t it be compatible?
download and install it and find out yourselves....?
DJred24 8:51 PM - 7 June, 2012
SO just buy a MAC. Wait I think someone here on the Board said that in another thread? Strange they both have similar pics.
djcerla 9:33 PM - 7 June, 2012
Quote:
hopefully It will be fast and also have a lot more stability towards Audio applications I am hoping , fingers crossed:)

Too much hoping ;)
DJPrice_inMD 2:47 AM - 8 June, 2012
Don't get me wrong on what I originally said. I am sure Itch will work on windows 8 on launch or quickly thereafter. However the windows 8 I mean is the regular windows which MSFT will be putting on laptop and desktops, however the windows RT which will be going into convertibles and tablets is not x86 processor based, but rather ARM (i believe) which is basically like asking serato to put Itch on the iPad. So like I said don't count on Itch or Scratch Live on Windows 8 RT.
Papa Midnight 3:11 AM - 8 June, 2012
Quote:
SO just buy a MAC. Wait I think someone here on the Board said that in another thread? Strange they both have similar pics.

Gee, that's REALLY helpful to the topic at hand...

Quote:
Quote:
hopefully It will be fast and also have a lot more stability towards Audio applications I am hoping , fingers crossed:)

Too much hoping ;)

Didn't stop a little ant from thinking he could move a rubber tree plant :P
djemdub 11:22 PM - 10 June, 2012
I do not see why it wouldn't be compatible.Windows 8 is virtually Windows 7 with a new interface.and if you don't like the interface for whatever reason, there's an option to take off the metro interface.then you'd be able to use Windows 8 exactly like Windows 7.
djemdub 11:23 PM - 10 June, 2012
It's like Windows 7 with less bugs.to me Windows 7 was great already
phatbob 11:29 PM - 10 June, 2012
As has been stated above already, the 'regular' Windows 8 for x86 will almost certainly work, that's a given. Windows 8 RT for ARM will almost certainly not.
DJPrice_inMD 2:28 PM - 13 June, 2012
And this thread is already becoming evidence for why people will have no idea wtf sales people will be talking about when trying to sell them a new Windows 8 computer.
djcerla 5:51 PM - 13 June, 2012
Windows 8ista ;)
djcerla 6:08 PM - 13 June, 2012
phatbob 6:20 PM - 13 June, 2012
Quote:
Windows 8ista ;)

LOL
Papa Midnight 7:08 PM - 13 June, 2012
Quote:
Windows 8ista ;)

Nah, I had hope for Vista (And it panned out by SP2)
Now, Windows 8E.... yeah... Definitely, ME all over again.

I have no intention what so ever of downgrading my system to Windows 8 (cdn.iwastesomuchtime.com).
Papa Midnight 9:16 PM - 13 June, 2012
Windows 8 is for tablets (There's a separate OS, though similarly styled, for phones btw); that's just it. I cannot perceive it as a Desktop OS, even in classic mode.

As for Serato, do not expect to be using it on your tablet should you choose to get one based on the ARM architecture (Windows 8 RT). Serato is designed for the x86 architecture and will not run.
marcA 8:04 AM - 14 June, 2012
Quote:
gonna flop badly

most probably
i'm pro windows but trying to mimic another platform and pretend you have seen the light will not work
djemdub 9:12 AM - 14 June, 2012
I'm with sydic8 on this one.its an even more stable version of 7 with a new GUI. I'm really hoping Windows breaks their trend!
marcA 9:31 AM - 14 June, 2012
and on what basis do you know that w8 will be more stable than w7?
i expect the exact opposite...
marcA 9:46 AM - 14 June, 2012
nope faith doesn't do it for me, only facts
being a 20+ yrs windows developer i know what drives MS and i'm sorry to say it ain't quality
it's all about the money
and the fact they want desperately get a tablet marketshare will not result in a better windows release for the non tablet hardware...
only time will tell ... but it's the firs time i don't even bother installing the beta's and RC's to see what gives.. and i even have a msdn subscription ...
Papa Midnight 6:30 PM - 14 June, 2012
Quote:
I see Windows 8 as a Light Operating System pretty much like a stripped down version of Window 7 so you don't need a lot of CPU or ram to run this OS + other new features as well.

Oh... I'm sorry on that one...
arstechnica.com

Quote:
This basic graphics recommendation, the bare minimum required to enable the Aero Glass theme in Windows Vista and Windows 7, worked fairly well for those operating systems, and for the most part the Windows 7 user interface looks and behaves the same whether you’re using a pair of $500 graphics cards or a lowly Intel integrated graphics chip from 2006.
TechPowerUp's GPU-Z says that I've got a DirectX 10 GPU, so chances are I'm in good shape.

Windows 8 is less kind to older, low-end graphics hardware.

Quote:
RAM

Microsoft says: 1GB (32-bit) or 2GB (64-bit)

Microsoft's Windows 7 RAM requirements are too low, and they continue to be too low in Windows 8. You should be using at least double the recommended amount to ensure headroom for additional programs and background services; Windows will run in the officially recommended amount of RAM, but open more than a few programs and your computer will quickly be hobbled. Memory is dirt cheap these days—treat yourself.

Also, follow the trend. EVERY Microsoft OS requires more RAM than it's predecessor at any given time before a single user process is even opened.
djemdub 8:41 PM - 14 June, 2012
All I can say is time will tell.and I'm lucky to be in computer science at csun because they give each student in that field a free copy of every Windows OS so I'd be able to try it free.
ReyKwon 9:49 AM - 23 June, 2012
Just tried to install Itch 2.2.1 for the VCI-380 on Win 8 and it won't install. Incompatible OS.
djcerla 2:00 PM - 23 June, 2012
Quote:
Incompatible OS.

no wonder, as Windows 8 is even incompatible with itself (RT vs. X86 versions)

"Microsoft 8ista: designed by committee™"

:-)
Maskrider 1:41 AM - 25 June, 2012
I wouldn't touch windows anymore for my Djing needs.
Medina 3:43 AM - 13 July, 2012
I am using Windows 8 with Serato Itch, I was able to get through the install pretty easily but itch is freezing up every 1-3 hours... i'll keep yall updated as windows 8 updates are released
DJ K Love 4:13 AM - 28 October, 2012
I just upgraded to Windows 8 and guess what doesn't work anymore. I have ITCH with NS7/FX. I am going to uninstall and re-install ITCH. If it doesn't work, I'm going back to WIN 7.
Ragman 4:46 AM - 28 October, 2012
Uhhhh don't we usually wait for Serato to give us the nod that their apps are compliant for a new OS (OSX or Windows)? So why are people acting as though they're surprised Itch is not working properly on Win8?
Papa Midnight 5:44 AM - 28 October, 2012
Quote:
I just downgraded to Windows 8

Problem Identified :P
djemdub 11:10 PM - 29 October, 2012
Quote:
I just upgraded to Windows 8 and guess what doesn't work anymore. I have ITCH with NS7/FX. I am going to uninstall and re-install ITCH. If it doesn't work, I'm going back to WIN 7.

Was your problem solved?As a comp sci student, I get a free copy of each Windows OS and I was going to install windows 8 tonight but I won't do it if itch isn't going to work.
djemdub 6:24 AM - 30 October, 2012
ok, so my hard headed self decided to take the risk and all I get when I try to open itch is a blank white screen

Quote:
I am using Windows 8 with Serato Itch, I was able to get through the install pretty easily but itch is freezing up every 1-3 hours... i'll keep yall updated as windows 8 updates are released

Did you uninstall and re install itch?
DJVersatile_atl 1:32 PM - 31 October, 2012
I recently upgrade from windows 7 to Windows 8.........After I installed Scratch live i found out that scratch live loads all the crates properly but gives an error trying to load the drivers for the Rane-62..........preventing me from seeing my virtual decks. What i did to get around this was dual boot windows 8 and windows 7 making Windows 7 for scratch live

After speaking with Rane they notified me that it would probably take up to 3 months for scratch live to work with Windows 8.......
thedjzee 3:50 AM - 1 November, 2012
I don't know about SSL, but both Serato Itch and Serato Video are working fine for me. I experienced a few crashes with Serato Video at first. I uninstalled and re installed it but then I got the blank white screen. I uninstalled Serato Video and Quicktime and re installed them and finally everything works fine. Am using the NS7FX.
Andy S 10:25 AM - 1 November, 2012
Win 8 is good but you have to learn shortcuts and where things are...a bit to much for most users LOL
thedjzee 3:43 PM - 1 November, 2012
Quote:
Win 8 is good but you have to learn shortcuts and where things are...a bit to much for most users LOL

Yeah, you are right! It took me a while to learn simple stuff like closing apps, while on the Metro/Start screen. You can hit ALT+F4 or move your mouse to the top of the screen till it turns to a "hand" right click to grab the screen and pull it downwards till it disappears. It was also a hassle finding programs not pined to the Metro/start screen (I guess you have to pin all your programs to the start screen to avoid this) without going to the desktop. The trick is while on the Metro/Start screen just start typing the app name (even though you won't see what you are typing at first) and you it will "appear" on the results.Once you get the hang of it works fine.
signs 10:26 AM - 2 November, 2012
[quote The trick is while on the Metro/Start screen just start typing the app name (even though you won't see what you are typing at first) and you it will "appear" on the results.Once you get the hang of it works fine.

or just right-click the startscreen and select "all apps" or what is it called in english :P
Broddr 3:29 AM - 30 November, 2012
Serato Itch works great on Windows 8 Professional. I have an HP Ultrabook i5/4GB. I would love to see a RT app.
Papa Midnight 3:53 AM - 30 November, 2012
Quote:
Serato Itch works great on Windows 8 Professional. I have an HP Ultrabook i5/4GB. I would love to see a RT app.

The development resources to successfully bring Serato products to ARM would be enormous.
DSB 1:53 AM - 2 December, 2012
used it on windows 8, works fine.
TealONE 3:05 PM - 2 December, 2012
I dont see the point why upgrade to Win8 if Win7 runs stable, can someone explain it to me please? Do you get any benefits beside the fact that you dont know when the next crash will happen or try and error to just get Itch or SSL running? I go with "never touch a running system" and stay with Win7... No problems so far, no change :)
djemdub 10:41 AM - 3 December, 2012
Quote:
I dont see the point why upgrade to Win8 if Win7 runs stable, can someone explain it to me please? Do you get any benefits beside the fact that you dont know when the next crash will happen or try and error to just get Itch or SSL running? I go with "never touch a running system" and stay with Win7... No problems so far, no change :)

well at first when I upgraded, i was having latency problems because of some settings that transferred over from win7.
after a refresh in win8, i have found win8 to be a lot smoother and faster than 7.when i had 7, i had to optimize my laptop to get low latency.now im running win8 on stock settings and its running faster than when i had the optimized 7.&apparently the touchpad is a lot better.my upgrade was free
TealONE 2:32 PM - 3 December, 2012
Quote:

after a refresh in win8, i have found win8 to be a lot smoother and faster than 7.when i had 7, i had to optimize my laptop to get low latency.now im running win8 on stock settings and its running faster than when i had the optimized 7.

Hmm thats nice to hear, didnt expect it will work that well. :)
djemdub 3:15 AM - 4 December, 2012
and when im running itch, the green bar looks like its just a green stripe.lol
Matze_ 9:21 AM - 4 December, 2012
I have a problem with Serato itch 2.2.2 and windows 8. When the software started there is always the notifier that the Hardware Disconnected. When I start an alternate Software like VDJ I can control this software by the controller. Strange...
djemdub 9:43 AM - 4 December, 2012
That is strange.I'm pretty sure this isn't the problem, but have you tried all of your usb ports?did you trouble shoot comparability and make it run win7 environment, or winXp environment?
my laptops behavior with ns6 and itch changed a bit, but I know it came as a consequence as running itch on an unsupported OS..
Or because the ns6 drivers haven't been updated for win8 (I think)

Mine recognizes the ns6 perfectly, the only problem is that if I turn off or unplug the ns6, itch never goes back to offline mode until I restart itch.in win7, whenever i disconnected or turned off the ns6, itch would switch back to offline and if I reconnected, it will go back to full mode without any problems or freezing.
signs 10:27 AM - 4 December, 2012
@Matze_
download and install the Driver from the manufacturers Website. It should work after that
Matze_ 8:46 AM - 5 December, 2012
I have had download newest Pioneer Asiodriver and Itch 2.2.2.
Under Windows 7 there was no problem with this setup.

Itch can't find the DDJ-S1. VDJ does it immediately.

Maybe I try to set Itch to Win7 mode. I will inform you about the result.
Matze_ 8:48 AM - 5 December, 2012
Solution: When I put Serato ITCH to Win7 mode under Win8 the controller is working fine!

SOLVED and thank you for your support.
djemdub 9:57 PM - 5 December, 2012
Quote:
Solution: When I put Serato ITCH to Win7 mode under Win8 the controller is working fine!

SOLVED and thank you for your support.

thats what i sugguested!good to know youre back up! :)

hows the behavior when you disconnect while itch is open?does it stay with a 2 deck view or does it freeze or hang?or does it go back to offline player?
Matze_ 2:32 PM - 8 December, 2012
When I switch off the Pioneer DDJ-S1 while ITCH is open and switch on the DDJ-S1 again ITCH did not recognize the DDJ-S1.

I close the application and start ITCH again with SUCCESS.
djemdub 11:23 AM - 10 December, 2012
Quote:
When I switch off the Pioneer DDJ-S1 while ITCH is open and switch on the DDJ-S1 again ITCH did not recognize the DDJ-S1.

I close the application and start ITCH again with SUCCESS.

But when you switched it off, did itch go back to offline player?
dawg1306 6:54 PM - 10 December, 2012
I just upgraded from Vista to Windows 8...... wish me luck !
an eager but disappointed serato die hard 12:17 PM - 12 December, 2012
how do you put itch into win 7 mode?
Papa Midnight 7:21 PM - 12 December, 2012
Quote:

Properties -> Compatibility -> Windows 7 -> Apply.
djemdub 12:17 AM - 13 December, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Properties -> Compatibility -> Windows 7 -> Apply.

with the amount of people asking the same question over and over, this should be a sticky.lol
Chaboo357 4:42 AM - 25 January, 2013
I am having a problem understanding most of the above conversations. I am new to Serato and about a month ago I purchased Serato dj 1.1.1. I have a Dell Isprion with windows 8. Serato is freezing up every twenty minutes. After analyzing files and shutting down my computer, when I open Serato again.. All of my files I analyzed does not show bpm and other info I requested. Is Serato compatible with Windows 8. If not when will it be. Please help.
LJ_WOOLSEY 11:24 AM - 25 January, 2013
Quote:
I am having a problem understanding most of the above conversations. I am new to Serato and about a month ago I purchased Serato dj 1.1.1. I have a Dell Isprion with windows 8. Serato is freezing up every twenty minutes. After analyzing files and shutting down my computer, when I open Serato again.. All of my files I analyzed does not show bpm and other info I requested. Is Serato compatible with Windows 8. If not when will it be. Please help.

1. Wrong forum area.

2. Start a help thread.

3. No win8 is not supported.

4. Serato have no time scale when it will be supported.
dawg1306 6:46 PM - 25 January, 2013
I am running Windows 8 with a dell laptop, serato itch.....I have had absolutely no issues with mine. And here is why:

1) let me start out by saying this- u do NOT need an Apple MacBook to run serato....period
2) what I did with my Dell was simply disable my wi-fi connection...why use it while playing from ur library ???
3) finally, disable any unnecessary application running in ur lap tops background (I had itunes running and disabled it)

Either one of these options worked for me.....I played for OVER 5 hours the other night, my lap top ran like a champ, seriously... Good luck
dawg1306 12:22 AM - 26 January, 2013
Close to 1000...... why do u ask ?
djemdub 2:56 AM - 27 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

If you have 1000 in your music library Serato itch will work flawlessly but if you have around 100,000 in your library then you will will have issues with Windows platform but have no issues on Macs

large databases seem to give serato problems on windows platforms. i keep mine pretty low, around 5000 or less. i dont think ill ever need anymore than that. I put the dv6 that i initially installed to rest and now running a dell xps 14 ultrabook with serato. my first run with it, i experienced a real brief drop out, so i just did a bit optimization and now, no problems.
djemdub 2:57 AM - 27 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If you have 1000 in your music library Serato itch will work flawlessly but if you have around 100,000 in your library then you will will have issues with Windows platform but have no issues on Macs

large databases seem to give serato problems on windows platforms. i keep mine pretty low, around 5000 or less. i dont think ill ever need anymore than that. I put the dv6 that i initially installed to rest and now running a dell xps 14 ultrabook with serato. my first run with it, i experienced a real brief drop out, so i just did a bit optimization and now, no problems.

for all i know, it could have been an issue with the track and not a drop out lol
dawg1306 3:00 AM - 27 January, 2013
I seriously doubt I'll have a library of 100,000 tracks.....very doubtful, LOL....I cant wait to see what my Dell will do with SDJ when it becomes available for my NS6.
DJ TWIZZ 3:16 AM - 8 February, 2013
I just got a Toshiba Laptop with Win8 it has the i3 processor with 4GB of Ram Im going to upgrade to 8GB. Itch 2.2 installed right away. Was up and running in 15 minutes. everything seems to be working ok. im going to give it a 5 hour test run will update after that.
djemdub 10:05 PM - 9 February, 2013
Quote:
I just got a Toshiba Laptop with Win8 it has the i3 processor with 4GB of Ram Im going to upgrade to 8GB. Itch 2.2 installed right away. Was up and running in 15 minutes. everything seems to be working ok. im going to give it a 5 hour test run will update after that.

For the most part, it is "compatible".its just not officially supported by Serato
DJ TWIZZ 1:08 AM - 19 February, 2013
Is been running ok gets a lil funky when you disconnect the NS6 to work on crates and analyze musc.
dawg1306 2:01 AM - 19 February, 2013
Just SDJ for my NS6 moments ago and had absolutely NO PROBLEMS AT ALL on my Dell laptop running WINDOWS 8 PRO.....Works PERFECT...no faults noted !
DjStarrLight 7:34 PM - 2 March, 2013
For those who actually want an answer to this question, I have Windows 8, tried to download Serato. No dice.
Papa Midnight 3:29 PM - 3 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
For those who actually want an answer to this question, I have Windows 8, tried to download Serato. No dice.

so did it work for u ??

I believe he is indicating that it did not :P
djemdub 6:02 PM - 4 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

so did it work for u ??

Oh ok have you tried installing it in windows 7 compatibility mode?

It worked for me.it works on both of my laptops.they're both win 8 pro.HP and Dell.I have itch and dj and they both work well except that if you unpower or unplug the ns6, it doesn't revert to the stand alone player.I would need to restart it
Papa Midnight 6:20 PM - 4 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

so did it work for u ??

It worked for me.it works on both of my laptops.they're both win 8 pro.HP and Dell.I have itch and dj and they both work well except that if you unpower or unplug the ns6, it doesn't revert to the stand alone player.I would need to restart it

Does the Application hang?
djemdub 6:31 AM - 5 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

so did it work for u ??

Does the Application hang?

Only if I disconnect the ns6
DjGrandmaNakNak 6:57 PM - 11 March, 2013
I'm using the Ns7, Windows 8 has given me Zero issues with the install or the actually functionality of itch. im running intel core i5-3210M 3.1GHz 8GB DDR3.

For anyone having issues with itch or scratch live or even DJ... AMD chipsets have seemed to be an issue in the past. Oh and just a off hand thought...Ditch the whole Mac vs windows shit, its childish and honestly my pc runs mac better then most mac computers run it.

In the long run if you cant get serato to work easily at the moment try installing mac on your pc. its not particularly hard to do and it can be nice to run mac off of a partitioned removable drive just for djing. its all simple preferences at this point folks. :)

Feel free to ask if you need any assistance with serato+win8 or hackintoshing i would gladly assist
djemdub 7:31 PM - 12 March, 2013
Quote:
I'm using the Ns7, Windows 8 has given me Zero issues with the install or the actually functionality of itch. im running intel core i5-3210M 3.1GHz 8GB DDR3.

For anyone having issues with itch or scratch live or even DJ... AMD chipsets have seemed to be an issue in the past. Oh and just a off hand thought...Ditch the whole Mac vs windows shit, its childish and honestly my pc runs mac better then most mac computers run it.

In the long run if you cant get serato to work easily at the moment try installing mac on your pc. its not particularly hard to do and it can be nice to run mac off of a partitioned removable drive just for djing. its all simple preferences at this point folks. :)

Feel free to ask if you need any assistance with serato+win8 or hackintoshing i would gladly assist

I couldnt get to hackintosh my dell xps 14 ultrabook.lol
im not having any problems with win8 but i did want to install mac because i dont have a discrete graphics card and i wanted to try serato video and integrated cards are not supported in windows but they are in mac
djemdub 6:52 PM - 14 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I couldnt get to hackintosh my dell xps 14 ultrabook.lol
im not having any problems with win8 but i did want to install mac because i dont have a discrete graphics card and i wanted to try serato video and integrated cards are not supported in windows but they are in mac

you might have issues with hackintosh activating your second video card unless you really know what your doing

I only have onboard graphics, no discrete. Macs are able to utilize the onboard graphics in Serato video where Pcs cannot.you can run a macbook with no graphics card running OS x with Serato video, but if you install windows on that macbook, it won't be able to use Serato video.do you get what I'm saying?
DJ SheaCiti EJ 1:29 AM - 21 March, 2013
djemdub 7:42 AM - 22 March, 2013
Quote:
serato.com

You do know that this topic was started over half a year ago, right?we, or the majority of pc users are aware that it isn't officially supported, but it still works.works great
Chuck Heiser 1:40 PM - 5 November, 2013
Quote:
Hi Can anyone tell me If Serato will be compatible With the new Microsoft Windows Operating System

As far as I know this operating system is targeted more for the windows tablet market
but it will be available as an upgrade to Win7 users

and Its a very Light installation so hopefully It will be fast and also have a lot more stability towards Audio applications I am hoping , fingers crossed:)

windows.microsoft.com

I'm using Itch with Windows 8 with no problems. I have a Vestax VCI-380 and Vestax sent me the Driver to use with Win 8. The one that came on the CD with the unit would not load, gave and incompatible OS error.
djemdub 5:02 AM - 9 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Can anyone tell me If Serato will be compatible With the new Microsoft Windows Operating System

As far as I know this operating system is targeted more for the windows tablet market
but it will be available as an upgrade to Win7 users

and Its a very Light installation so hopefully It will be fast and also have a lot more stability towards Audio applications I am hoping , fingers crossed:)

windows.microsoft.com

I'm using Itch with Windows 8 with no problems. I have a Vestax VCI-380 and Vestax sent me the Driver to use with Win 8. The one that came on the CD with the unit would not load, gave and incompatible OS error.

whoa. This is an old thread and itch is irrelevant to most of us.lol serato dj!
DJ._.Ray 3:22 AM - 5 June, 2014
I don't want to revive the subject but, do not update your windows 8.
My serato itch was working great before, now gone.
I already uninstall the serato itch and reinstall again but still not working.
This weekend now I do have a party to rock and I have to borrow a computer
from my wife.

Windows 8,0 update sucks.

Anyone has an idea how to fix it?

thanks
DJ._.Ray 3:44 AM - 6 June, 2014
I will do it. Thanks.