DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Jazzy Jeff, puts Serato on External??

DJ Ryno 2:52 PM - 20 October, 2005
I was reading "Scratch" (i think), that Jazzy Jeff has the actual program, and all of his music files, on an external harddrive. So, he can just take his external drive with him, and plug it into any computer. Even though he has 2 Powerbooks.
DJ Ryno 3:09 PM - 20 October, 2005
and...in case you didnt read the artical.....

"...I burn it onto CD and import it into Serato usually as MP3's at 192K. Trust me, Ive been waiting for somebody to say something to me about the sound quality and it hasn't happened yet."

"I carry 18,000 records and the SSL program on external hard drives. I Bring 2 or 3 backup drives (identical) and a back up computer)"

-Ryno
DJ_X_Trodinaire 4:27 PM - 20 October, 2005
yes he does you can see a vid clip on seratoscratchlive.com
dj synystr 4:27 PM - 20 October, 2005
thats what it is right there! very smart to do and not that exspencive to have a bakcup external HD around.
capo di exmixah 4:30 PM - 20 October, 2005
Quote:
I was reading "Scratch" (i think), that Jazzy Jeff has the actual program, and all of his music files, on an external harddrive. So, he can just take his external drive with him, and plug it into any computer. Even though he has 2 Powerbooks

Can u recall which issue of the magazine?... would like to read it.
Rebelguy 6:08 PM - 20 October, 2005
Scratch Magazine September 2005. Just Blaze is on the cover.
nobspangle 6:12 PM - 20 October, 2005
It's not so he can plug into any computer, it's so he can carry backup copies of everything (including a backup laptop).
I don't think he would try playing on a foreign laptop if both of his failed.
Bx Bomber 6:50 PM - 20 October, 2005
I read the same article.... Is it true can I ease up on my cpu usage by running Serato and my songs off of the External HD?
sKAnz 8:34 PM - 20 October, 2005
Yeah, i use a external 250gb hd and it works great, i dont have any backup drives mind you, but il risk it, i put all my music on it, and just keep the programmes on my comp, i think J.J. keeps his ssl on his EHD so he doesnt even have to load the prog on a new computer. cool idea.
AKIEM 10:07 PM - 20 October, 2005
its the faster speed, 7200 for the external drives
DJ 3pm 12:14 AM - 21 October, 2005
Quote:
i dont have any backup drives mind you, but il risk it, i put all my music on it,

friend, i don't know you and don't want to offend you but....

that is the stupidest thing i've heard someone proclaim. hard drives are cheap.

if you own all your music on vinyl, do you want to re-record it all?
if you dl'ed all your music from p2p, do you want to scour the web again?

if you can't do 1 gig and have it pay for a backup hard drive then you need a paper route or something.
AKIEM 12:09 AM - 22 October, 2005
I bet if both his laptops failed he would use someone esle mac and boot from one of his externals
DJ_X_Trodinaire 12:16 AM - 22 October, 2005
always have a back up
extra hd or burn your collection to cdr or dvdr