DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

power amp bridging

pdidy 11:21 AM - 22 January, 2008
im using a QSC 3402 power amp rated at 700 w at 8ohm rms and 4 subs 8ohm each, rated at 800w rms. i generaly power them 2 a side at 4ohm stero. will i get more power to the subs by bridging the amp at 2ohm mono?
Playdope 4:07 PM - 22 January, 2008
according to the specs sheet your amp is not capable of handling such a low impedance, it will only go to 4 ohms without causing damage to your amp. so I wouldn't recommend it.

If you have to run all your subs from one amp (Bridged), then you will need to run it in "series parallel" to achieve a 4 ohm load.

But according to the specks if you have your subs set-up as a 4ohm load per side, your amp is delivering 1100 Watts (Not sure if that RMS).

So I think you initial set up is the way to go.

www.qscaudio.com

Hope this helps :)
eder 6:51 PM - 22 January, 2008
Besides, if you bridge it and run them all together, you'll drop to a 1ohm load. that is equivalent to death.
skinnyguy 8:01 PM - 22 January, 2008
+1 with the other guys. don't kill yourself or your speakers. literally.

if you wanna use a bridged plx3402 for your subs, you'll have to use one bridged amp for 2 speakers. meaning, you'll have to buy another amp for the other two.
FU_PAY_ME 9:20 PM - 22 January, 2008
I have the same amp and one time I ran 4 yorkville es 808's on just one amp. Like homie said above you will have to run 2 speakers on one channel and the other 2 on the other. With the Yorkville subs they was rated at 800 watts (8 ohms per speaker) So I only 1100 watts for each side. It was okay but you would be better off buying and second amp so you can run 2 subs per amp. Now I use 2 qsc rmx 2450 to run 4 subs.

A second option would be buying a bigger amp to run all 4 subs like a qsc rmx 5050 or Crown Macro Tech 5000 to get more out of your speakers with out having to carrying an extra amp.

Personally I like the traditional heavy amps for my subs/bass. The plx series is okay, but I only used that for full range or highs & mids. If I'm just using 2 subs and 2 tops than I use the plx 3402. That's the only time I use that amp for my subs/bass
pdidy 11:49 PM - 22 January, 2008
thank for your help guys , i get it now. i can only bridge 2 speakers @ 4ohms.
i have another plx 3402 i was going to sell since i switched to powered tops but now i see i still need it.

at 4 ohms BRIDGE MONO MODE the plx 3402 is rated at 3400 W and my speakers are 800w each. will the amp now be able to deliver 1700w per speaker? (not that it needs that much)
pdidy 11:58 PM - 22 January, 2008
Quote:
I have the same amp and one time I ran 4 yorkville es 808's on just one amp. Like homie said above you will have to run 2 speakers on one channel and the other 2 on the other. With the Yorkville subs they was rated at 800 watts (8 ohms per speaker) So I only 1100 watts for each side. It was okay but you would be better off buying and second amp so you can run 2 subs per amp. Now I use 2 qsc rmx 2450 to run 4 subs.

A second option would be buying a bigger amp to run all 4 subs like a qsc rmx 5050 or Crown Macro Tech 5000 to get more out of your speakers with out having to carrying an extra amp.

Personally I like the traditional heavy amps for my subs/bass. The plx series is okay, but I only used that for full range or highs & mids. If I'm just using 2 subs and 2 tops than I use the plx 3402. That's the only time I use that amp for my subs/bass

yea your right, the qsc rmx 5050 or Crown Macro Tech 5000 are a better match for my speakers but im a mobile dj and i sold my crowns because of the weight issue.
eder 12:02 AM - 23 January, 2008
yeah, it will be 1700w per speaker.
pdidy 2:24 AM - 23 January, 2008
Quote:
yeah, it will be 1700w per speaker.

cool....mad headroom
thanks yall