Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

VCI-380: Some USB dropouts MAC/PC

Product
ITCH
Version
2.2.1 (Vestax VCI-380)
Hardware
Vestax VCI-380
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
LJ_WOOLSEY 2:08 PM - 1 June, 2012
Hi there i get in sessions usb drops on mac and pc but no usb light comes up.

lastnight in two hours it did it once and its a very quick dropout.

Just wana hit that out there.

Cheers
neil.a.scott 10:23 PM - 1 June, 2012
LJ_WOOLSEY,

I've got the same thing too, the CPU monitor (green bar in top right?) never goes above 50% while playing, but every now and then I get a drop out of audio, only for a fraction of a second but it's noticeable

Running OSX 10.6.8, 2.4Ghz, 4GB Ram, Latency 1ms, Screen updates 60 per sec
dj_eddie_gr 7:16 AM - 2 June, 2012
Have you tried lifting up the buffer size a bit? 1ms is VERY CPU hungry....
LJ_WOOLSEY 11:31 AM - 2 June, 2012
Mine is on 10 on pc and mac. I had three lastnight in 3.5hours. I dont think itis a usb drop its more of a split sec freeze as the hole itch screen freezes at same time but it really is quick. And as i said there was no usb drop light (unless itch does not have the usb drop light like ssl)
neil.a.scott 4:53 PM - 4 June, 2012
Thanks Eddie,

I'll try that
Serato, Support
David Wood 3:22 AM - 5 June, 2012
Hey Guys,

I've noticed this to, did some tests over weekend. Will let the Development and CRT team know.

Regards
Dave W
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:17 AM - 5 June, 2012
That's good you have noticed it aswell it's a strange one.

Hopefully the dev team have some success with this issue.
DJ JONAH 12:00 PM - 10 June, 2012
hey,

i also had some dropouts during a session in a club last night. and it was like 5 times and really noticeable! cpu was normal, latency is at 10. i´m running a mac OSX 10.6.8, 2.4Ghz, 4GB Ram. hope u can fix this soon!

cheers
Serato, Support
David Wood 2:04 AM - 11 June, 2012
We are working on this, sorry this is happening with you.

Regards
Dave W
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 5:13 AM - 11 June, 2012
Hey guys,

We are looking into this now so any further information you can give us with this would help alot.

Some things to look for :
- Does it only seem to happen periodically? (i.e does it happen after 30 minutes of playing?)
- Does it only happen when you have an effect on? (it can be on but the depth knob turned down)
- Does the audio carry on where it left of? Or does the playhead carry on like how a loop roll works?

Cheers.
DJ JONAH 8:21 AM - 11 June, 2012
for me its seems to happen periodically, friday i had no problems. but saturday, like i sad. after 30 min is possible. it was def. no effect and no loop or subm on.

cheers
LJ_WOOLSEY 11:27 AM - 11 June, 2012
Ya audio carries on fine it's like a split sec glitch when it happens the wave n the decks circles freeze aswell but it really is a split sec. And no usb light comes on. It's just randum when it happens. Also ad you know i have no dj fx lol so can't be that.
DJ M-VIBE 10:50 AM - 16 June, 2012
I had this problem too this night...played in club with the vci 380.... These are no dropouts....in my case it was to much vibrating for the jog wheels... i just played a little bit with the jog wheel sensitivity and.....no drop out..... anymore.... but this is no good issue...

cu
David_E 2:14 PM - 16 June, 2012
Same here.

Just happened about 2 times within an hour of playing.

Not really periodically. First one was about 30 mins after start, next one about 10 mins later.
Had HPF turned on on both decks but depth turned down.

Hope there'll be a quick fix.
skrachnbass 8:37 PM - 16 June, 2012
same problem sometimes when i switch on the slicer and change the effect but sometimes happens i dont now why...
macbook intel core 2 duo 2.1 ghz 2gb ram
mrik23 1:27 PM - 17 June, 2012
I dont know if we can call this usb dropout, but I hear that the sound cuts when I change performance mode or when using slicer.

Im using windows vista instead of 7 but I'm not sure its gonna help if people got the same problem on Mac OS.

We were all impatient to have this new vci-380 but seems like Vestax and Serato rushed too much to release this in time... Seems like there is still many bugs to fix and not to mention the face plate is printed wrong...

I just got it yesterday and feel disappointed now, just hope the major bugs will be fixed soon.
skrachnbass 6:54 PM - 17 June, 2012
Quote:
I dont know if we can call this usb dropout, but I hear that the sound cuts when I change performance mode or when using slicer.

Im using windows vista instead of 7 but I'm not sure its gonna help if people got the same problem on Mac OS.

We were all impatient to have this new vci-380 but seems like Vestax and Serato rushed too much to release this in time... Seems like there is still many bugs to fix and not to mention the face plate is printed wrong...

I just got it yesterday and feel disappointed now, just hope the major bugs will be fixed soon.

please !!!!
djdisbjohn 7:09 PM - 17 June, 2012
Quote:
Ya audio carries on fine it's like a split sec glitch when it happens the wave n the decks circles freeze aswell but it really is a split sec. And no usb light comes on. It's just randum when it happens. Also ad you know i have no dj fx lol so can't be that.

It just occurred to me as well. I was recording, but fortunately the recording didn't have the glitch.
ernie 4:32 PM - 20 June, 2012
I have to macbook 10.6.8 and 10.7.4

10.6.8 i experience many dropouts played for 45 minutes
10.7.4 No dropout i played for 2 hours
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 3:41 AM - 21 June, 2012
Hey guys, we are still looking into this. It's hard one to reproduce - not everyone gets this problem and if they do it seems completely random.

There are a few bits of information that you guys can give us that would help us determine where this problem is :
- What is your USB buffer size set to? Does it still happen if it's quite high or low?
- What OS are you experiencing this with? (sorry if you have already answered this)
- With the dropout, does the audio carry on where it would have been if there was a dropout, or does it seem to literally stop, then start again, making it go out of time? I know I have asked this already but I received different answers so I would like for you to listen out for this if it happens again. For me it is that later. When I get the dropout, it sounds like a pressed Pause and then Play again quickly, which means the beat is off time.

Please clearly answer these questions.

Cheers!
skrachnbass 7:28 AM - 21 June, 2012
1. have the problem with low and high buffer
2. last snow leopard update
3. i think the music stops for a very short time

and this is another problem possibly related, when I was 1 hour mixing the music stop and sounds like if it were connected the crusher (not be) it has happened 2 times and i had to swith off and switch on the controller
sorry for my poor english
regards!!!
LJ_WOOLSEY 8:21 AM - 21 June, 2012
1. Buffer on 10.
2. Osx 10.6.8 and Window 7 sp1 64bit home.
3. Itis just a very very sort glitch i was in the mix when it happened once and it stayed in time.
Justin James 12:56 PM - 22 June, 2012
hi..

i,m using a vci380 with ITCH and have had a split second dropout too.. this has happened a few times.. MBP lion 10.7.4,,buffer 128,,screen updates 50 ps
Justin James 2:17 PM - 25 June, 2012
hi.. re my post,, it turns out it could of been my vci 380.. the right hand fader was faulty,,had a new vci 380 :/ hopefully mo dropouts now..
9:59 PM, 25 Jun 2012
mr-riot attached a file: Bildschirmfoto 2012-06-25 um 23.58.03.png
View· Permalink
mr-riot 9:59 PM - 25 June, 2012
hi

i got a dropout today while recording a mix, heres a screenshot of it...
djenzo 2:33 AM - 3 July, 2012
Hey Guys,

I've also got this dropout issue.

Buffer on 10 MS
2.16 Core 2 Duo
OSX 10.6.7
Justin James 1:16 PM - 29 July, 2012
me again.. last night had like 10 dropouts.. moved to 5ms and still got another one.. hmmm
Markabre 2:56 PM - 1 August, 2012
and two months later.... no fix. not even beta.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 10:32 PM - 1 August, 2012
Hey guys just wanted to chime in and let you know we aren't ignoring this issue, it's just proving to be a real difficult one to pinpoint. We are looking into it with Vestax, so I'm sure we will come to a solution.

If you haven't already please answer my questions above, and as always, any additional information would help a lot :)
Justin James 2:00 AM - 2 August, 2012
I'm finding moving the buffer more to the right side is stopping the dropouts.. i can't say I've noticed a difference in performance either but I'm not hitting loads of buttons like some others will..
Markabre 9:47 AM - 2 August, 2012
I had occasional freezes with my previous mac which more than met the minimum specs. Ran at about 50-66% CPU according the Itch. The whole interface and software, VU meters and all, would freeze for half a second.

Now i'm on a 2,6Ghz i7 16gb Retina Macbook Pro that even at the lowest latency never gets more than a thin sliver of green on the meter. Not had the same problem again, yet.
Perhaps the minimum specs need bumping up for the VCI-380.

It disappoints me that there are several other widely discussed bugs in 2.2.1 that have not been fixed after over two months. Not even a beta. It's hardly a great introduction to the platform for new 380/Itch users.This appeared to be Itch's new flagship product, you'd expect it to be well supported.
Justin James 11:16 AM - 11 August, 2012
had another dropout last night.. I'm playing out 5 nights a week.. this dropout thing is really random it might happen once out of 5 nights or once every night.. please hurry and find it serato as it keeps giving me mild heart failure as I'm expecting it to go off completely one night..
DeeJayOnyx 5:15 PM - 12 August, 2012
I'm having the same issue here! Just random drop out and had the buffer settings to the max but it won't help at all. I'm still trying to get used to the itch, since I have always used the serato plus video mixing is what I do most of the time.
Justin James 5:52 PM - 12 August, 2012
last night hardware at 5ms screen updates at 50.. I reduced the platter adjustment to 12 o'clock position.. they were at 10 past for ultimate sensitivity.. I've read that reducing the platter sensativity has helped.. no dropouts last night but as I've posted before I find this a random thing.. I'll keep y'all informed..
phatbob 6:32 PM - 12 August, 2012
I have always run mine at 10 o'clock.

Still wonder if that is a factor.
Justin James 7:33 PM - 12 August, 2012
have you had any dropouts??
Markabre 7:54 PM - 12 August, 2012
I've had the right platter refuse to play in vinyl mode once or twice. I do think that several problems might stem from a misreporting of the jog wheel sensitivity dials. Lets hope it can be if fixed with software or firmware. I fear it may remain one of those intermittent, hard to replicate hardware problems that erodes your piece of mind. If it is hardware I hope Vestax are clear about it.
phatbob 8:13 PM - 12 August, 2012
Quote:
have you had any dropouts??

I have not. I almost wish I had, so I could help you guys diagnose the problem more...
dj_eddie_gr 12:01 PM - 13 August, 2012
I had my first dropout yesterday. I have the unit since launch and no problems till now. Macbook pro 13" i7 8 Gb OSX 10.7.4
Justin James 12:51 PM - 16 August, 2012
right then.. since moving the vci380 platter sensitivity buttons to the 10 o'clock position as PhatBob recommends I've had (touch wood) no dropouts so far!! i'll keep y'all informed..
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 4:03 AM - 17 August, 2012
Quote:
right then.. since moving the vci380 platter sensitivity buttons to the 10 o'clock position as PhatBob recommends I've had (touch wood) no dropouts so far!! i'll keep y'all informed..

Interesting, I really didn't think this would have anything to do with it but perhaps it does. Can you please keep let us know if it comes back with this setting.
LJ_WOOLSEY 12:52 PM - 17 August, 2012
Well i set mine to the 10/11 position and i still get dropouts, But i don't think i get as many.
Justin James 1:51 AM - 18 August, 2012
me AGAIN..

just had a dropout and the whole screen wobbled.. wtf!!
DJ MAGIKO 12:21 PM - 18 August, 2012
Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but i guess every little question helps. Where do you have your music stored? Is it on you MB or is it on an external hard drive. Would like to see if there is any correlation with the two. I am also having a drop out issue, but mine seems MAJOR. I have about 3 gigs a week and out of every gig I have i get about 3-4 drop outs an hour. Which is driving me INSANE. So was wondering if it had to do with the fact that I'm using an external hard drive, and (here's the main question) my external hard drive is formatted to be able to be read by both Mac and PC??? I had a friend who his problem seemed to fix itself after moving his music over to a external hard drive that reads only for 1 OS. (in his example, his ex. hard drive was formatted to only read on Mac)
This may not have anything to do with it, but you never know. If it's a pattern then it might be the problem.
Again my question is... Are you using an external hard drive to store your music and is the hard drive formated to read on both mac and pc or just mac or just pc.
Thanks
Justin James 12:49 PM - 18 August, 2012
hi Magiko..

all my tracks are on my MBP..

13" Mac OS X lion ver 10.7.4

proce 2.4 GHz intel core i5

mem 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3
(425.44 free out of 499.25 GB)

grap intel HD graphics 3000 384 MB

serato itch

latency 256 5ms

display 50ps

changing my DJ name to DJ Dropout :/
DJ MAGIKO 1:28 PM - 18 August, 2012
Damn there goes that theory O___o
Nick Thayer 6:17 AM - 26 August, 2012
Guys I've been using the VCI 380 for a month or so now, and totally love it.

Initially I had the same dropout issue described here. After a lot of troubleshooting I am *pretty* sure this problem relates to the internal limiting function on Itch.

When I first started using this unit I had the trims for each channel set at 12 o'clock and was hitting the internal limiter a lot even when just one side was playing by itself, and was also getting a lot of dropouts. It wasn't happening every time the limiter switched on by any means though.

Last night I had the trims at approx 10 o'clock. I didn't hit the internal limiter once and had zero droupouts on a three hour set.

Hope that helps.
Nick
Justin James 1:18 PM - 26 August, 2012
hi nick and all..

I've ran my trims at a minimal low and still had dropouts..

just throwing this out there and not raining on your parade.. (say hi to ASkillz)

XRM5 5:26 PM - 27 August, 2012
Dropouts here too, regardless of buffer & with sensitivity set low.

Audio just hangs for an instant and the waveform stops scrolling, then picks up again.

I ran it all weekend to see how often, and average was every hour and a half, though it was totally random. Once it went down completely with no audio for 10-15 seconds, then came back sounding bitcrushed before catching up to itself and sounding OK again over the next few seconds. Don't know if those 2 types of dropouts are related.

I know my laptop's older, but I have a fresh erase/install of 10.6.8 I did when I got the 380, plus upgraded RAM and a new 7200 RPM HD. Scratch Live has always run fine on this setup.
Justin James 11:00 PM - 29 August, 2012
hi.. was just mid set and was changing stuff within SP-6 and got the mac rainbow wheel of doom.. it kept hanging.. had to force quit..

WTF!!

10:03 AM, 30 Aug 2012
Justin James attached a file: Screen Shot 2012-08-30 at 11.00.32.png
View· Permalink
Justin James 10:03 AM - 30 August, 2012
trying to find out why i had the rainbow wheel of doom last night.. went to library folder and found all these.. not sure what all that means??
David_E 1:29 PM - 30 August, 2012
so Itch 2.2.2 won't address the drop out issue. any news on the progress. Is a fix still on the agenda?
LJ_WOOLSEY 3:18 PM - 30 August, 2012
from what it looks serato have not a clue why these drop outs happen and some users have never had any dropouts so bit of a hard one to nail down.
David_E 6:15 PM - 30 August, 2012
yes, I also heard of people running it with low spec machines, having no problems at all. so it seems to appear regardless of computer performance.

I thought I fixed it by reducing the touch sensitivity, but after a couple of days it happened again.

very annoying.
Justin James 10:59 PM - 30 August, 2012
hi.. been playing 2hrs,,just used scroll/tab and it dropped out.. taking the waveform out for two seconds :/
Serato, Support
David Wood 11:33 PM - 30 August, 2012
Hey Guys,

Can those who are looking for support individually on there Vestax VCI-380 issue start there own help requests? This will help us support you personally as this thread has through parts been helpful for some users but as a help thread it's best we help you all one at a time.

The Public Beta for Serato ITCH 2.2.2 is now available on the forum, if you wish to participate you can download after joining the thread here: serato.com

There are release notes including bug fixes which will hopefully fix some of these related issues.

Warm Regards
Dave W
12:00 AM, 14 Sep 2012
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.