DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Headphone stolen at gig

Code:E 10:05 PM - 21 May, 2012
So someone stole my HDJ-2000 out of the DJ booth on Friday. The booth is on a big stage an lots of people go on to the stage and dance. We had a after party going on for an Afrojack concert held early in the night. So there was many DJ's playing instead of the usual one per room for the whole night. I got bumped from my slot because Bobby Burns ( Afrojacks opener wanted to play the after party last min) and i'm not mad or sad about that (i was really wasted anyway and just wanted to party). At the end of the night when i went to clean up my gear my headphones where missing. (SL4 box cables and laptop stands and midi controllers where left there) I questioned all of the other DJ's and they are all buddy's, so i know they didnt take them. The club doesn't have any camera's pointed on the DJ booths (thank god they dont see all the shit that goes down up there some nights) so I have no other clue as too who stole them.

So my question to the DJ community.

Is it all my fault?

If not should the club or the promoter be paying for new ones?

I was thinking of asking the club and the promoter to pitch $150 each towards a new pair. Since I opened for free at Afrojack (the concert and was set to play the after party for free) and ended up running lighting and visual's the rest of the night for the club (something i very comfortable doing well shit faced). Also I should note this after party was at my regular club residency location. And I NEVER play for free for the club (I do get other perks from the promoter for playing, and do get paid to promote for them).

Anyway thoughts from the hoard... GO
Code:E 10:08 PM - 21 May, 2012
Also In your responses (anyway you choose to answer) do you have a good Headphone suggestion? I really want a pair of HDJ 2000's again, but i am open to looking at other can's. NO BEATS and nothing that doesn't swivel please.
Corz 10:32 PM - 21 May, 2012
I Love my HDJ-2000 I wouldn't go to anything else, but I also do hate change.

Hard question, I guess there is no harm in asking and depending on the club or promoter they might help, but its not exactly their fault either. But you don't really want to push to hard as your gigs might draw up. Their are just some scum around. I never leave anything that isn't tied up any where where people will grab it.
sixxx 10:43 PM - 21 May, 2012
It's your fault. Especially after reading this "i was really wasted anyway and just wanted to party"

You are lucky it was JUST your headphones and nothing else.
Mr. Goodkat 10:43 PM - 21 May, 2012
yes its your fault.
DjLouSince82 10:55 PM - 21 May, 2012
Sad to say but yes it was your fault bro, i dont think you can blame the club or the owner, unless its per contract stating theft protection on your gear then maybe the club owner or whomever is responsible can decided on what to do next. You should always throw your stuff in a bag and hide it somewhere you know people will not be able to take or even have some one look over your stuff like security. Jus saying..but i wish you luck and hope they appear somewhere which i doubt those are expensive headphones.
LJ_WOOLSEY 11:02 PM - 21 May, 2012
Quote:
It's your fault. Especially after reading this "i was really wasted anyway and just wanted to party"

+1 you was VERY LUCKY i would have expected you to come back to no equipment!
DJ'Que 11:23 PM - 21 May, 2012
Yep you fault. Should be happy you got you sl4 still.

Some kid on Dj forum had his sl1 stolen from a dj and he found out who did it and the dj posted it on his fb page for sale.

And still havent gotten it back and im sure he's not.
Papa Midnight 11:25 PM - 21 May, 2012
Quote:
Also In your responses (anyway you choose to answer) do you have a good Headphone suggestion? I really want a pair of HDJ 2000's again, but i am open to looking at other can's. NO BEATS and nothing that doesn't swivel please.

I've had good experiences with the Numark RedWave headphones to date. Durable, They swivel, fold, and work like a dream. Plus, the cable is detachable.

Sony's are good too, soundwise, but break to damn easy.

BTW: +1 on "NO BEATS"

Quote:
Some kid on Dj forum had his sl1 stolen from a dj and he found out who did it and the dj posted it on his fb page for sale.

I know one DJ who went through multiple SL1's in just a few months. From leaving them at the club (from which they were stolen) to leaving them in the back of cabs (or "hacks" to be more accurate).
Code:E 11:42 PM - 21 May, 2012
Quote:

By wasted i would like to clarify, I can remember everything that happened and was not stumbling around I was still able to work, and will still most likely bill the club for me running the lights and video that night. If i was too drunk my boss wouldn't let me run that gear.

Also to note my gear was not the only stuff in the booth. There was like 4 other dj backs loaded with stuff just like mine. One other dj's left his laptop on the table all night and $1000 in his bag cash. I cleaned up his stuff for him at the end of the night. when i did mine.

I dont want this to come off as some shady bar. If it was my laptop that was stolen it has been talk about before with the club they would be replacing it. Nobody who's not a DJ shouldn't be walking out of the club with a bag or any DJ gear.

I don't go to work and expect to get robbed and nobody should be ok with that.
Papa Midnight 11:53 PM - 21 May, 2012
Quote:

Agreed.
Chrisjin 12:24 AM - 22 May, 2012
I will never leave anything around unless I got a friend or security watching it. If I know Im going to be done for the night, I pack up everything and bring it to the car and lock up...I will never leave my laptop or any gear out of sight. Either on my back or locked up. Way too many crooked fucks out there.
SpareChange 12:26 AM - 22 May, 2012
sorry that happened to you but it could have been much worse...DJ's are scandalous sometimes and good luck finding a promoter or dj that will help u replace your stolen or broken gear....you have to be cautious because it's often hard to prove who did it and clubs/promoters are very reluctant to take any responsibility...I've had a few things disappear or get broken at shows over the years including someone stealing a CDJ...

one time at a battle somebody actually swapped my brand new technics headphones out of my bag (i had them for less than a week) and replaced them with an old pair where the pads were all dried out and cracked and only one side worked..and at the DMC US finals in 2005 I bought a bunch of old battle tapes from dmc and put them in my record bag on the stage in an area where the rest of the competitors had our stuff so we didn't have to carry it around all night, everybody said oh yeah your stuff will be fine up there, needless to say by the time I was ready to grab my stuff the tapes were gone from my bag and so were my 44-7's..and similar things have happened to a lot of other dj's i know,

Sometimes we have to learn the hard way but always keep an eye on your gear cause when it comes up missing nobody's gonna care but you.
Chrisjin 12:34 AM - 22 May, 2012
Quote:

one time at a battle somebody actually swapped my brand new technics headphones out of my bag (i had them for less than a week) and replaced them with an old pair where the pads were all dried out and cracked and only one side worked..and at the DMC US finals in 2005 I bought a bunch of old battle tapes from dmc and put them in my record bag on the stage in an area where the rest of the competitors had our stuff so we didn't have to carry it around all night, everybody said oh yeah your stuff will be fine up there, needless to say by the time I was ready to grab my stuff the tapes were gone from my bag and so were my 44-7's..and similar things have happened to a lot of other dj's i know,.

Damn thats some messed up ish right there. My first and last lesson was when I got my bike jacked..(irrelevant) but it made me wary of everything I owned from then on. I have not gotten any of my dj stuff stolen yet because I will either keep all the stuff at my side or like I said above, have it locked up. If I have to keep my bag on me, even if it weighs a ton, so be it, I will be getting some reps in, haha
SpareChange 12:46 AM - 22 May, 2012
yeah it's sad but you can't trust anybody nowadays....but what's worse is you can't lend anything to your so-called friends either unless you have it in writing...

my dude illness did a show one time where another dj broke the arms off of his ortofons on stage and then not only denied it but blamed it on another member of illness's crew..the next day he got pictures back his girl had been taking of the show and got actual photo evidence of the dude breaking his needles...like a year later that same guy wanted to use my set up at a festival we both performed at and i was like um how about NO..
pdidy 12:59 AM - 22 May, 2012
Quote:
Is it all my fault?

The short answer.....yes
philldafunk 1:06 AM - 22 May, 2012
I would say that you are at fault. It's a tough lesson to learn, but it could've been worse for you. I had some stuff boosted off me at a gig before, and it sucked.... You can bet your bottom dollar that will never EVER happen to me again!

During a gig my backpack is at my feet, and after the gig I put it on and leave it on until I get home.

You can't trust anybody these days
dj_soo 1:08 AM - 22 May, 2012
YOU are responsible for you gear - no one else.
VP 1:12 AM - 22 May, 2012
ultimately it is your fault. usually once alcohol is involved it automatically becomes the person who's drunk's fault.
i am too guilty of getting wasted and being careless. and i have been with other djs who have had very nice stuff and been negligent and wonder how they could be that careless with very expensive gear.

i always ask for a bouncer next to me during my gigs. i wish i could do it like some djs where i dont have to drink but that seems impossible lol. but it's good to treat your job serious because djs have a lot of money invested in gear.
as a kid i never understood why some djs were such assholes. i wanted to be the dj who everyone loved until i started spending thousands of dollars in gear then i stopped being nice. at one point i wasnt making any money because of fixing or replacing stuff. these days i'm such an asshole these days that i'm not even nice to anyone. i start getting paranoid whenever ppl come around me...

if i dont get my requirements from promoters or club owners i have no problem packing my sh1t and leaving...
i have no problem jamming to myself at home than go out there with my sh1t make other ppl hundreds and thousands of dollars.

to make my paranoia even worse, just recently a friend of mine tried breaking into my house thinking i wasnt home. i dont even bring ppl to my crib anymore.
Code:E 1:22 AM - 22 May, 2012
Well i guess i got my answer, thanks guys for your honestly. I'm still gonna ask, but wont be mad if i get a no.
reggae delgado 1:28 AM - 22 May, 2012
Honestly if there were all those computers & gear and 1000s of dollars cash, I don't think anyone stole your headphones. You might have just lost them.
popnwave 1:54 AM - 22 May, 2012
Anyone who steals headphones is nasty anyway. I don't care how clean you are, I think my DJs sweat at some point during their sets. This is like stealing someones underwear.. YUCK.
Dj Nyce 2:55 AM - 22 May, 2012
it is your fault. but come one all of us leave our gear unattended at some point. matter of fact i'm chilling in the booth at tattoo bar DC with J Buttah on the decks and i just left my macbook pro, SL2, HDJ-2000K's and UDG creator unattended for 50 seconds while i got a ciroc and cranberry.

anyways what i normally do i use the kensington lock on my mbp and another on the udg creator (around handle and shoulder straps. i also have locks for the front and main compartments.

my suggestion for replacement headphones would be the HDJ2000k's or the AiAiAi TMA-1's. I love the Sennheiser's but they are just butt ugly.

p.s. always lock your shit up
DJ Frank Labate 3:00 AM - 22 May, 2012
May not be a bad idea to get your gear insured. Just file a police report and you're all good.
Sunny Up 4:17 AM - 22 May, 2012
Had my sony headphones stollen once at a gig. They were only a week old too...

Shit sucks, but at least it was only headphones. You learn from the experience.
dj_soo 5:07 AM - 22 May, 2012
there's also a chance someone packed them into their bag by mistake... that has happened to me.

But yea, if you leave you gear on stage or in the booth and go off and party then you have no one to blame but yourself. Sometimes, if I'm good with the management and I want to stick around and party, I'll ask the manager if I can lock my gear in his office instead of just leaving it at the booth... even if your boys are spinning, they're going to be busy playing records, not guarding your stuff...
Mr. Goodkat 5:44 PM - 22 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

By wasted i would like to clarify, I can remember everything that happened and was not stumbling around I was still able to work, and will still most likely bill the club for me running the lights and video that night. If i was too drunk my boss wouldn't let me run that gear.

Also to note my gear was not the only stuff in the booth. There was like 4 other dj backs loaded with stuff just like mine. One other dj's left his laptop on the table all night and $1000 in his bag cash. I cleaned up his stuff for him at the end of the night. when i did mine.

I dont want this to come off as some shady bar. If it was my laptop that was stolen it has been talk about before with the club they would be replacing it. Nobody who's not a DJ shouldn't be walking out of the club with a bag or any DJ gear.

the difference between young and old.

young: its someone elses fault, excuses, excuses.

old: its my fault, oh well.
popnwave 7:53 PM - 22 May, 2012
Quote:

the difference between young and old.

young: its someone elses fault, excuses, excuses.

old: its my fault, oh well.

Oh so true.
The Oldboy 8:08 PM - 22 May, 2012
your fault dude.

be sure to pack your stuff away straight after.

i know you were already working for the club that night but i wouldnt have dj'd for free. esp at an afrojack afterparty (i imagine it was really busy)

new headphones = sennheiser hd25

ive lost a few pairs before
dj.kinetic 9:12 PM - 22 May, 2012
I feel for u kid, but it is your fault...This has happened to me twice in my 15 years of DJing...and I can say you were very lucky it was only ur HDJ 2000s both times this happened to me all my gear was jacked...Headphones SL and Laptop...I learned my lesson after the first 2 times...soon as I'm done I pack all my stuff away and put my bag in the car or the club's office this way if it turns up missing its either my insurance or the club paying for it instead of me.
Dj AR1 4:07 AM - 23 May, 2012
NO BUENO.
Dj Shamann 8:59 PM - 23 May, 2012
Quote:
At the end of the night when i went to clean up my gear

That's where you went wrong. You left your gear unattended and loose. Even if it's not a theft issue, it could be a spilled drink, somebody tripping over something...

Quote:
Also to note my gear was not the only stuff in the booth. There was like 4 other dj backs loaded with stuff just like mine

Even worse!

Last thing I would do is leave my DJ stuff out in the open in front of DJs who are exactly the kind of people who would want that stuff, especially in an environment like a club where any man could just say "I dunno"

Anyway, it's not like you need a lecture, it sucks when your shit gets taken but just because dudes are "DJs too" doesn't mean they aren't thieves too. Shit look at these boards on a daily, there's always some thread about some hatin' ass, undercuttin', badmouthing you, prick of a Dj fucking with peoples style.

I mean, ever had that friend that stole a measly 5 bucks from your house? (if you haven't, consider yourself lucky to be around such stand up people) but even the people closest to you can turn out to be shady ma'fuckas.
Dj AR1 9:19 PM - 23 May, 2012
Damm. I think he allready got the idea it was his fault.
Why keep rubbing it on his face.
Just buy a new set. Who ever took them is less DJ then u.
Dj Shamann 9:27 PM - 23 May, 2012
No ones rubbing his face in it, just commenting on a thread in a public forum, just in case others think it won't happen to them.
Dj Shamann 9:28 PM - 23 May, 2012
At least once a week we get threads like this.
Dj AR1 9:31 PM - 23 May, 2012
Lolz. Ill b feeling bad enough.
I just hope n wish ppl had more respect for others. Its not kool.
Dj Shamann 9:33 PM - 23 May, 2012
Nah I know, I even said it's not like he needed a lecture after getting jacked, that's the worst time for people to give you hindsight speeches.
ced_so_thoed 9:35 PM - 23 May, 2012
ay
it was I
I took them hoes
yep
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:40 PM - 23 May, 2012
Quote:

So my question to the DJ community.

Is it all my fault?

Yep.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:43 PM - 23 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Man, at what point do you take responsibility for leaving expensive stuff sitting around all willy nilly?

Yeah, ya peeps left THEIR stuff up, but a laptop is not as easy to steal as a pair of headphones...

SOMEBODY is ALWAY scopin' your *ish....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:50 PM - 23 May, 2012
And to tell you the truth, I USED to Jack n00b DJ's all the time....

Karma paid me back with 2 of MY laptops gettin' ghost, so you already know...
ced_so_thoed 9:54 PM - 23 May, 2012
Quote:
And to tell you the truth, I USED to Jack n00b DJ's all the time....

Karma paid me back with 2 of MY laptops gettin' ghost, so you already know...

ay
Willy nilly will get you every time
yep
Dj Nyce 11:58 PM - 23 May, 2012
if somebody left a crate of records at 600 North in Daytona Beach FL circa 2000-2002, i jacked your shit.

still got them joints too.
Eduardo Serrano 6:17 PM - 4 October, 2012
LOL, DJ Nyce, are you for real?
DJDaveOtt 12:33 AM - 5 October, 2012
Quote:

I was thinking of asking the club and the promoter to pitch $150 each towards a new pair. Since I opened for free at Afrojack (the concert and was set to play the after party for free) and ended up running lighting and visual's the rest of the night for the club...

Should have charged them for your services. Serves you right that your shit got jacked for doing a free gig
Dj Nyce 7:10 AM - 5 October, 2012
Quote:

quite serious. 6 am...all night party was over. luscious crates where just sitting there chilling on the stage.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:25 AM - 5 October, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

quite serious. 6 am...all night party was over. luscious crates where just sitting there chilling on the stage.

That was a sexy sight, wasn't it?
s3kn0tr0n1c 12:47 PM - 5 October, 2012
They may have been moved from where you left them and turn up..

I got mine back after about 2 months when the sound engineer found them ..lol
BIGG BEAR 1:22 AM - 9 October, 2012
Cant understand why you were working for f*ck all when Afrojack was probably on about £30,000
echa1945mf 1:09 PM - 9 October, 2012
Quote:
if somebody left a crate of records at 600 North in Daytona Beach FL circa 2000-2002, i jacked your shit.

still got them joints too.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL