DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

cleaning turntables??

The Oldboy 6:26 PM - 13 January, 2008
noticed mine were a bit grubby seeing as i havent cleaned em since i got them 5 years ago!
i gave em a once over with some baby wipes seemed to do the trick and on my mixer also...

what does everyone else recommend?
dj shadow from detroit 9:48 PM - 13 January, 2008
rubbing alcohol or a mild multi cleaner:)
DeezNotes 2:50 PM - 14 January, 2008
I use a soft cloth with some type of anti-bacterial cleaner. Spray the cloth and be sure to get under the platter, the rear of the tonearm, in the pop up light... and ever other place that grimy stuff lives. I do a more thorough cleaning on techs that aren't mine... don't know where they've been.
djbriguy 3:14 PM - 14 January, 2008
Are there any areas of the Tech that you SHOULDNT clean?
DJ Sniffles 3:26 PM - 14 January, 2008
i've found that the disinfectant wipes i.e.... lysol wipes work great to clean turntables with, for the outside of it of course
DJ Sniffles 3:26 PM - 14 January, 2008
if u wanna clean the contacts of ur pitch control, i think just a q-tip is fine
DeezNotes 3:28 PM - 14 January, 2008
I generally don't play around in that middle part under the platter (it's never really that dirty there anyway). Usually it's the outside surfaces (especially the top) that gets the most grime. Don't forget to use alcohol and contact cleaner where the headshell goes too.
Logisticalstyles 5:09 PM - 14 January, 2008
Use compressed air under the plater to get rid of loose dirt. Use a q-tip with rubbing alcohol to clean the intricate parts. I try to clean my Techs at least once a year.
Dirty Digits 5:56 PM - 14 January, 2008
get some q-tips and get meticulous with it.

clean all around the tone arm, take the platter off and get good in there too. Basically, anywhere you see dust collecting clean it up. I don't recommend alcohol or anything damp to get the job done really, just a little dab of water on the q-tip should do the trick.
DJ Prinvale` 7:54 PM - 14 January, 2008
I use a lint free cloth and some mild window cleaner because it's non abrasive. I also try not to get any of it on or inside electrical components.

grab a q-tip for the smaller parts and you should be good to go.