DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

M-447 Users, what are your tonearm settings at?

DJ Matty Stiles 11:58 AM - 17 May, 2012
Cause I'm not too sure where my settings should be at...
AIRX ONE 2:11 PM - 17 May, 2012
AIRX ONE 2:19 PM - 17 May, 2012
i run mine at 3 and 0 .. it depends on your slip mats and how thick they are normal hight is 3.5 try and get the arm as flat as you can
s3kn0tr0n1c 2:48 PM - 17 May, 2012
Tone arm height = Lowest, you want tone arm parallel with record. Then LOCK IT.

AntiSkate = 0 or it will skip on pull backs /scratching.

Weight = 3g in the studio, 3.5mm in the club.

I also dont put the extra weight on cart/headshell so this also means you dont need the extra weight on back of tonearm/weight area.

I run set my cart straight on headshell and needle is where it should be using them white needles-setter-upper-thingybobs ;)

Also if you are using an SL/Rane unit that allows setting of phono sensitivity set that to 9 or 9.5mV within SL setup.

Enjoy the finest skip proof settings and also needles wont wear down, nor wear your records too quick.
DJ Matty Stiles 5:31 PM - 17 May, 2012
this is me:

height at lowest

antiskate at 0

max weight

(by the way I use butterugs)

It's interesting to see different people's preferences
deezlee 5:39 PM - 17 May, 2012
2.5 grams for 45s. 3 grams fir everthing else. Calibrated. Tone arm flat
str8nger 7:22 PM - 17 May, 2012
Quote:
this is me:

height at lowest

antiskate at 0

max weight

(by the way I use butterugs)
Why so much weight? And so low just curious

It's interesting to see different people's preferences
phatbob 7:24 PM - 17 May, 2012
Quote:

I also dont put the extra weight on cart/headshell so this also means you dont need the extra weight on back of tonearm/weight area.

I run set my cart straight on headshell and needle is where it should be using them white needles-setter-upper-thingybobs ;)

Also if you are using an SL/Rane unit that allows setting of phono sensitivity set that to 9 or 9.5mV within SL setup.

Enjoy the finest skip proof settings and also needles wont wear down, nor wear your records too quick.

Nailed it.
str8nger 7:30 PM - 17 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Nailed it.
so this is the best way for all kinds of mixing and scratching?
s3kn0tr0n1c 7:35 PM - 17 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Nailed it.

I do a ton of scratching/ juggling and lots of mixing and this has never let me down.
DJ Matty Stiles 7:41 PM - 17 May, 2012
Quote:
Why so much weight? And so low just curious

this guy told me (skip to 4.16)

Watchwww.youtube.com
str8nger 7:41 PM - 17 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Nailed it.

I do a ton of scratching/ juggling and lots of mixing and this has never let me down.

Great when I get home I will set my 1200s like this lol so u said bring the arm all the way down correct? I use them DR. Susuki slipmatts so there hella thin.
s3kn0tr0n1c 7:56 PM - 17 May, 2012
Quote:

Great when I get home I will set my 1200s like this lol so u said bring the arm all the way down correct? I use them DR. Susuki slipmatts so there hella thin.

Bring it down till tone arm is parallel with record.....on mine its almost parallel, cant go any lower tho...its close enuf ;)
s3kn0tr0n1c 8:00 PM - 17 May, 2012
btw do yall know how to set the ZERO the weight before adding your 3gm weight?

Its done by spinning weight until needle and weight are balanced (like 2 equal weight folks on a see saw )

Then turn number dial on weight till zero line up with line. Check both sides are still equally balanced then with the back of weight turn till 3g is lined up with line.
djvtyme85 2:39 AM - 20 May, 2012
So what number is your height adj? Currently mine is at 3. Using Suzuki mats and weight is at 3.5. In abl mode I do get a little skipping if there are vibrations from the dance floor. But now use rel and I'm good.
deezlee 2:52 AM - 20 May, 2012
tonearm flat
s3kn0tr0n1c 12:51 PM - 20 May, 2012
Quote:
So what number is your height adj? Currently mine is at 3. Using Suzuki mats and weight is at 3.5. In abl mode I do get a little skipping if there are vibrations from the dance floor. But now use rel and I'm good.

adjust height till tone arm parallel with record..or as close as you can get....3 seems like it would be too high.
Steve E Wunda 1:57 PM - 20 May, 2012
First adjust the weight.... Watchwww.youtube.com

Then adjust height like so.... Watchwww.youtube.com

Finally adjust the anti skate.... Watchwww.youtube.com
djvtyme85 2:10 PM - 20 May, 2012
Just curious, I used a ruler, keep one in my gig bag and eye ball from there
DJ Matty Stiles 3:19 PM - 31 May, 2012
Quote:

those videos are great! even though he's not talking specifically about control vinyl it's still really good for reference
ced_so_thoed 4:00 PM - 31 May, 2012
ay
Has anyone had a hard time trying to unlock the height on some? My program director bought some new out the box Technics and I could not unlock them at all. Am I the only one or is there a club for that?
yep
Dj Nyce 4:38 PM - 31 May, 2012
Quote:

thanks for that. i was adjusting the weight incorrectly by zeroing the counterweight first.
djvtyme85 4:47 PM - 31 May, 2012
Good watch. After all these years I was doing it so wrong
Steve E Wunda 9:37 PM - 31 May, 2012
Quote:
Good watch. After all these years I was doing it so wrong

I was doing it wrong for way too many years. I came upon these videos when I had the problem with unlocking the height adjutment on one of my turntables that had been in storage:

Quote:
ay
Has anyone had a hard time trying to unlock the height on some? My program director bought some new out the box Technics and I could not unlock them at all. Am I the only one or is there a club for that?
yep

This is what I found on that issue:
Watchwww.youtube.com
www.youtube.com

And then I started watching videos, reading up on all types of stuff like replacing tonearm, pitch control calibartion, zero click removal, painting, pop up replacement, internal grounding, etc. Next thing you know I had refurbished my decks and repaired a pair that my brother had with some issues. Now I have bought another pair for super cheap with some minor damage. Going to strip em down and build them back up with new parts where needed, fresh paint, etc.
DJ Rugged One 10:05 PM - 31 May, 2012
I set mine at:

Height: 2 (then locked from preventing tone arm base moving)

Anti-Skate: 0

Weight: 3.5

Never had issues with my (2) M44-7 and (2) M44-7 w/N44C (Blue) carts.
DJ Matty Stiles 6:31 AM - 3 July, 2012
Quote:
Why so much weight?

because because both control vinyl and m44-7 styli are cheap and replacable. It would be a different story if I were using expensive ass ortofons and real vinyl which i wanted to preserve
DJ eXeS 11:39 PM - 5 July, 2012
if you guys use butte rugs do you also use the transparent sheet under that as well?

my main question is do you need the transparent sheet if you are using butter rugs?
str8nger 11:58 PM - 5 July, 2012
Quote:
if you guys use butte rugs do you also use the transparent sheet under that as well?

my main question is do you need the transparent sheet if you are using butter rugs?

I use mine it works a little more but lots of static
DJ eXeS 12:20 AM - 6 July, 2012
Quote:
I use mine it works a little more but lots of static

static with or without the transparent sheet?
str8nger 12:25 AM - 6 July, 2012
With it on it
DJ eXeS 12:53 AM - 6 July, 2012
will it have an negative effect if i dont use one?
DJ Matty Stiles 3:48 AM - 6 July, 2012
i use without butter rugs, q-bert himself has said you don't NEED the sheet underneath, but i know a lot of people still do it anyway if they want it to be more slippy. I guess it's personal preference, if you want it to be more slippy then go for it, but if you're happy without it then no need to change. No it won't have a negative effect if you don't use one. Try with and without and see what feels right for you
DJ Matty Stiles 3:49 AM - 6 July, 2012
correction: i use butter rugs without the sheet underneath
DJ eXeS 4:03 AM - 6 July, 2012
Quote:
correction: i use butter rugs without the sheet underneath

okay, have you replaced them yet? just curious
DJ Matty Stiles 4:15 AM - 6 July, 2012
nope, i'm not sure if slipmats have a lifespan lol
DJ eXeS 4:17 AM - 6 July, 2012
lol ok
antimatter 1:25 PM - 6 July, 2012
my setup is height at a lil over 3. weight 2.2. antiskate 2.2. I use 1200 mk5's with flying carpets and dr.suziki mix edition slipmats. Used sickmats with flying carpets before those. Slipmats do hold up for a long time. The flying carpets are the secret. I do use a headshell weight that came with my technics i think they are a gram. Frosted plates have the butterrugs and flying carpets together. Preety good product if u have trouble fing the flying carpets by themselves. Im also fairly certain you want your antiskate to be the same number as your weight.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:33 PM - 6 July, 2012
My tonearm is set between krunk and crushit. Also is anyone else using the combination of butter rugs and the rubber pad that came with the turntable.
antimatter 4:25 AM - 7 July, 2012
Those rubber pads that came with my technics suck. So did the technic slipmat.
antimatter 4:29 AM - 7 July, 2012
Quote:
ay

yep

Yep mine were real tough to unlock too when I first gotem. Had to use a small flathaed screwdriver.
Jader 3:17 PM - 7 July, 2012
yeah the the height adjustment gets stuck sometimes real bad.

i recently went back to m447s after using ortofons for awhile (pinks and nightclubs).

the biggest difference for me this time was really making sure the tonearm was parallel to the record and this has led to some excellent anti skip performance.

also, i had been thinking about moving to cdjs for a while because when people would jump around and get crazy, it would shake the tables real bad and cause skips, but the m447s have been really good at absorbing those vibrations. ya gotta set them up properly though!

my biggest annoyance with the m447s was that the stylus would get bent very easily, either by accident, using stickers, needle on slipmat or just being too rough with them. i remember once i wasnt paying attention and i bent back the stylus by putting that plastic guard in place!

now im just make sure to be really careful with them. the stylus is definitely not as durable as the ortofons, but the skip resistance is really good. now i can hold off on getting cdj2000s for a while.
djvtyme85 11:07 PM - 7 July, 2012
Honestly after 10+ years using turntables for mobiles, nothing beats the cdjs when you've got a issue with vibration.
antimatter 4:05 AM - 10 July, 2012
So yah I made a mistake on the ride height. I def have mine at 1.25 not 3. I think 3 is where I usually put my orts. Anyone angliling their 44-7's?
djvtyme85 12:23 AM - 11 July, 2012
I tried it saw no advantage so I went back to normal
antimatter 3:04 AM - 16 July, 2014
Yeah I did not see any advantage angling the 44-7 either. I do not recommend the strait tonearm mod for the sl-1200. That tonearm's headshell has no angling to it and is not good for your records, ie wear them out quickly, and I have a hard time believing it is any more skip resistant than the s shaped tone arm. There is no need for an angled headshell on the s shaped tone arm because the s shape causes the angling.

Here are some specs that should help out setting up this cart. The technics tone arm is set up for carts between 17-23mm (very tall carts). Since a dj slipmat adds very little height to the platter and I doubt the 44-7 is over 17mm tall your ride height should be around zero if not zero.

The reason that the sl-1200 is set up for really tall carts is because the sl-1200 was originally intended as an affordable hifi table and the 4mm rubber mat that comes with it for hifi use takes 4mm away from the 17-23mm figure I quoted above, knocking it down to 13-19mm which is more in line with most other TT's out there. A dj slipmat adds little to no height to the platter though. Meaning almost all if not all dj carts should have a ride height of zero. Only if the cart is over 17mm tall should you add height.

You should also buy the counterweight subweight if you don't have one. It dampens of the hollow end of the tone arm and allows you to get the counter weight closer to the pivot point which tightens up the bass.

As far as the counter weight goes the numbers and lines do not mean that much. Twist back the counterweight until the arm floats and then twist forward to 2-2.5 grams. You can accurately measure this with a stylus pressure gauge or use headphones to tune on the fly.

The technics headshell hanger is another accessory that I highly recommend. It will make the cart very easy to align. The headshell hanger and counterweight subweight can be purchase from kabusa.com for $5-10.
Dj Rehab 7:03 PM - 16 July, 2014
The Shure booklet recommends the angle to prevent skipping. It's heads and shoulder better to me, esp with beat juggling and back spins.
antimatter 7:51 PM - 16 July, 2014
The sure booklet throws it out there. It does not totally recommend it. If it works for you then awesome. I have seen the same thing on an ortofon headshell and cart. The thing I like about the ortofon setup is that it is lined up for the user on the headshell.
AIRX ONE 9:02 PM - 16 July, 2014
Really simple when using sure 44s tonearm hight at 3.5 run the all the way forward anti at 0 done …
AIRX ONE 9:04 PM - 16 July, 2014
*run the weight
deezlee 9:10 PM - 16 July, 2014
If yer using real records at all, learn to calibrate the tonearm weight.
AIRX ONE 9:37 PM - 16 July, 2014
Quote:
AIRX ONE 9:38 PM - 16 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

not sense 06 and seeing in how this is a serato forum .. well
deezlee 10:13 PM - 16 July, 2014
ok, don't
antimatter 5:28 AM - 17 July, 2014
Quote:
Really simple when using sure 44s tonearm hight at 3.5 run the all the way forward anti at 0 done …

Your height is way to high. At most the 44-7 is a 17mm cart and since the technics is meant for 17-23mm carts your ride height needs to be zero or at most 1. Also you need to get the counterweight accurate tcv or reg. vinyl. The subweight should get you most of the way there and is fairly cheap.

If you run your carts at that height with too much weight, while you may not notice much of a sound wise tcv vs. real deal you will be putting unnecessary wear n tear on your stylus and even dj stylus are decently pricey, for sure much more than the subweight.
s3kn0tr0n1c 7:25 AM - 17 July, 2014
I keep my height as low as techys go, anti skate at 0, and no angle to cart..

Worked a treat for years!
s3kn0tr0n1c 7:25 AM - 17 July, 2014
oh and weight between 2g-3g
WarpNote 9:44 AM - 17 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Your height is way to high. At most the 44-7 is a 17mm cart and since the technics is meant for 17-23mm carts your ride height needs to be zero or at most 1. Also you need to get the counterweight accurate tcv or reg. vinyl. The subweight should get you most of the way there and is fairly cheap.

If you run your carts at that height with too much weight, while you may not notice much of a sound wise tcv vs. real deal you will be putting unnecessary wear n tear on your stylus and even dj stylus are decently pricey, for sure much more than the subweight.

He misspelled, he was referring to stylus wheight not height. Although 3.5g is on the heavy side imo. I usually run between 2.5-3.0g, 0 antiskate, "flat height", and angled mount on headshell. Like described in the Shure 447 instructions. I still find the 447 wear less on the vinyl (and more skip resistant) than ortofon concorde. (Black/blue/qbert/s120)
Jumbo Boogie 1:33 PM - 17 July, 2014
I've heard of angled 447's on straight arms...not so much on Technic style arms. How far back or front you place the cart on the headshell can have an effect as well. Just speaking from personal experience...don't know if it's a universal thing.
s3kn0tr0n1c 2:30 PM - 17 July, 2014
I set mine (with no angle) as per the distance on the technics needle setter upper thing ;)
antimatter 3:59 PM - 17 July, 2014
I use the technics overhang gauge as well. Very cheap if you do not own one and makes setup a breeze. I found angling to make a minor improvement on tracking the outside of the record but terrible tracking on the inner half.

Angling and aligning are give and take affair. I would def. worry about height and weight first.
Jumbo Boogie 4:08 PM - 17 July, 2014
I may be wrong but I thought going higher and angling the cart in a downward manner meant the needle would be eating the vinyl more as well as make it easier to damage the needle if you get wreckless?
antimatter 4:16 PM - 17 July, 2014
Yes having a height of much more than zero will cause the stylus to dig into the record while it is playing. Angling and aligning is more personal preference. There are many different ways to align carts on a sl-1200. Check out vinyl engine. The technics gauge is just easy to me and works pretty good.
DJHexum 2:38 AM - 10 January, 2017
Q-Bert sets his height to 3.5: Watchwww.youtube.com
Emma from Studio Scratches sets hers to 3 and weight 2.5: Watchwww.youtube.com

Both use Technics, butter rugs, and M44-7.
DJ Matty Stiles 10:34 AM - 10 January, 2017
yeah mine currently at 3.5. No complaints. Good balance IMO
Amateur DJ 11:00 PM - 7 November, 2018
Anybody know what the perfect tonearm settings for PLX-1000's using M44-7 cartridges to mixx & scratch?
Ollie 7:00 PM - 8 November, 2018
Quote:
Anybody know what the perfect tonearm settings for PLX-1000's using M44-7 cartridges to mixx & scratch?

The setting comes down to how heavy or light handed the dj is with the record, especially when in comes scratching. Start at 3.5 then work your way up or down the setting.
Amateur DJ 10:55 PM - 8 November, 2018
Thank you for the advice, that does make sense. I currently have my height at 0, antiskate at 0 and my weight at 2.5g + 1g from the cartridge weight and my subweight attached to the back. It feels stable and works well for scratching & mixing, but was wondering if I have too much weight and would it wear down my vinyl? I was just curious to know what other PLX-1000 owners have there settings at cuz the tonearm feels lighter and cheaper than the Technics 1200.
deezlee 5:53 PM - 9 November, 2018
Just to be clear you know how to calibrate the tonearm weight for your carts right?
It should be about 3 grams I do a little less.
Amateur DJ 9:17 PM - 9 November, 2018
Quote:
Just to be clear you know how to calibrate the tonearm weight for your carts right?

Yes, I know how to calibrate the tonearm, thanks. So the total weight I have on my setup is 3.5g. I was thinking cuz I have the subweight on the back off the tonearm, it will put less weight and pressure when the needle is on the record. I hope that makes sense. I will probably try 3.2 or 3.3g cuz when I have it set on 3g, it skips sometimes when I scratch. I believe I'm probably heavy handed haha
17tr2 5:50 PM - 10 November, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, I know how to calibrate the tonearm, thanks. So the total weight I have on my setup is 3.5g. I was thinking cuz I have the subweight on the back off the tonearm, it will put less weight and pressure when the needle is on the record. I hope that makes sense. I will probably try 3.2 or 3.3g cuz when I have it set on 3g, it skips sometimes when I scratch. I believe I'm probably heavy handed haha

That's not how you do it. The the weights on your tonearm are not what you go by. If you look at the specs on your cart., you'll see a tracking force range of 1.5 to 3g. Its the amount of weight/pressure on the needle, and that's where you need to take your measurement. You do it with a stylus tracking force gauge. Shure sells them, and I believe they go for about $25. Drop your needle onto it and go by that number, not the weights on your arm.
WildcardX 6:50 PM - 10 November, 2018
Quote:
That's not how you do it. The the weights on your tonearm are not what you go by. If you look at the specs on your cart., you'll see a tracking force range of 1.5 to 3g. Its the amount of weight/pressure on the needle, and that's where you need to take your measurement. You do it with a stylus tracking force gauge. Shure sells them, and I believe they go for about $25. Drop your needle onto it and go by that number, not the weights on your arm.

To follow this up, you can get one like this, www.amazon.com , Mojaxx reviewed similar on Djcity that does the same thing. Though it is pretty generic, it gets the job done.
deezlee 7:41 PM - 10 November, 2018
thats a cool gizmo.
you can do it without that though.
look it up on youtube or something.
you back the weight off to make the tonearm "float", then turn the ring on the end of the weight to zero.
then turn the whole weight to 3.0
Culprit 7:57 PM - 10 November, 2018
Quote:
thats a cool gizmo.
you back the weight off to make the tonearm "float", then turn the ring on the end of the weight to zero.

This is how I do it
Amateur DJ 9:51 PM - 10 November, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you for your help, I'm going to look into that. I really want the weight/tracking force to be accurate.
Amateur DJ 9:56 PM - 10 November, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

To follow this up, you can get one like this, www.amazon.com , Mojaxx reviewed similar on Djcity that does the same thing. Though it is pretty generic, it gets the job done.

Thank you for recommending, I think I'm gonna get this one cuz it had good reviews on it and it's priced well.
slimmjimm 10:22 PM - 10 November, 2018
Quote:

That looks pretty bitchin. I think I'll get it just because. Rane 12's or not, it can hang out with the techs @home.
RR437T 11:03 PM - 10 November, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

That one should be fine. For DJing, you don't need anything ultra accurate because the carts are designed for hard use. A tenth of a gram or so, is no big deal.
RR437T 11:24 PM - 10 November, 2018
Quote:
thats a cool gizmo.

I would say that's the best way to do it if you don't have a gauge. But depending on your tone arm, you can't always do it that way and be accurate. If the weights are fixed and move on some type of worm gear (screw), then OK. You'll probably be close. If you have to move the weights by hand, without any type of guide, then you need a gauge. Also, keep in mind that depending what your SRA is set at, the pressure/weight ratio will be off if its not set to spec. And its perfectly OK to set SRA off spec if you need to, that's why I would recommend the use of a gauge.

Yes, I'm a bit picky when it comes to this type of thing. I don't mean to ramble on, but I won't be able to sleep tonight if I don't get all the details out.
deezlee 11:24 PM - 10 November, 2018
In case you missed it you don't need one of those at all. :)
RR437T 1:27 AM - 11 November, 2018
Quote:
In case you missed it you don't need one of those at all. :)

We don't need shoes, ice cream, a member named Aptidda or even Serato. But we all want them, and that's what counts.
deezlee 10:36 AM - 11 November, 2018
Out of those I'm going with shoes.
WildcardX 3:14 PM - 11 November, 2018
You still need to balance the tonearm but this is just to verify the weight even after you set it.

See Mojaxx's video here.

Watchwww.youtube.com
Mr. Goodkat 9:41 PM - 11 November, 2018
Quote:
thats a cool gizmo.

this is how its done, you may want to add a little weight in loud/bass heavy situations
deezlee 11:18 PM - 11 November, 2018
If you set the weight and then double check with the scale how close is it?
WildcardX 11:22 PM - 11 November, 2018
Quote:
If you set the weight and then double check with the scale how close is it?

If done properly it's not off by much. It can be pretty negligible all things considered. I think I can get like 3.05 - 3.10g most times. So weighing ot adjust back to exact 3g is just me being anal and to satisfy my minor OCD.
deezlee 8:30 AM - 12 November, 2018
Thanks,
That's what's up.
I'm definitely not hating! The more dialed the better or at least having the tools and knowledge always helps. If yer audiophile friend asks about dialing their tonearm you'll have them covered.
Amateur DJ 4:29 AM - 13 November, 2018
WORD..I learned alot about tonearm settings from all of your discussions, thank you guys!