Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

2.4.1 (24109) Consistently Crashes During Every Use

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane Sixty-Eight
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
Dj Blaze 7:38 PM - 8 May, 2012
Problem:
2.4.1 (24109) Consistently Crashes During Every Use:

Computer Specs:
Macbook Pro
17-inch, Mid 2009
Processor 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 (11D50b)

Installed:
SSL 2.4.1 (24109)
Serato Video 1.0

Details:
After removing all previous SSL files and preference settings I performed a fresh install of SSL 2.4.1 (24109). I did this to try and find a solution to my SSL 2.4.1 crashes that consistently happen after updating. My previous version SSL 2.3.3 (23318) was the last stable version I was able to run. With 2.4.1 (24109) I'm able to open the SSL, but after loading media SSL crashes while scanning/reading tags and leaves a crash report.

Has this problem already been identified or am I missing something?
7:39 PM, 8 May 2012
Dj Blaze attached a file: Scratch LIVE_2012-05-08-231756_DB-Mac.crash
Download· Permalink
8:04 PM, 8 May 2012
Dj Blaze attached a file: Scratch Live 2.4.1 (24109) Crash Screen Capture.mov
Download· Permalink
12:19 AM, 10 May 2012
Dj Blaze attached a file: Scratch LIVE_2012-05-10-011234_DB-Mac.crash
Download· Permalink
Dj Blaze 12:20 AM - 10 May, 2012
Just attached my last crash log.
4:28 PM, 10 May 2012
Discussion moved to Serato Video and Video-SL Help
Dj Blaze 12:21 AM - 13 May, 2012
Backed-up and Reformatted my 1.5 TB FreeAgent GoFlex HD today to see if it had anything to do with this and after trying analyzing I still get immediate crashes. Please see the attached latest and greatest crash report.

Any help with this would be great... last Thursday Serato crashed during my show 3 times... I'm really not excited about getting fired because this program keeps failing.
12:21 AM, 13 May 2012
Dj Blaze attached a file: Scratch LIVE_2012-05-13-021336_DB-Mac.crash
Download· Permalink
Dj Blaze 12:33 AM - 13 May, 2012
After my last crash from analyzing I couldn't open SSL without it crashing from the start. I found to get around this I had to disconnect my HD. Start SSL, then remount my HD... Then SSL did fine and stayed opened and scanned for crates. But this still doesn't fix the problem its only a work around after a crash.
skyy 4:55 PM - 13 May, 2012
dj blaze call me 704-451-3745 i might be able to help,dj skyy
Dj Blaze 10:50 PM - 13 May, 2012
I really appreciate all your help dj skyy that was nice of you to take the time!!! BUT FUCK THIS SHIT.... SSL you really need to get your shit straight I've played it cool since 1.4 and this is really getting OLD... I'M NOT GOING THROUGH THE REST OF MY MEADIA TO FIND WHAT SSL THINKS ARE CORRUPTED FILES BECAUSE I'VE BEEN DOING THIS ALL FUCKING NIGHT AND I HAVE NO MORE PATIENCE.... I GET NO HELP FOR WHAT SERATO THINK IS A FIRM RELEASE AND I THINK IVE BEEN VERY CLEAR AS TO WHAT I NEED... Besides a version that doesn't CRASH!!!! Ohh and i've went ahead and attached the latest crashes today... have fun figuring this one out!
10:51 PM, 13 May 2012
Dj Blaze attached a file: SSL CRASHES.zip
Download· Permalink
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:41 PM - 13 May, 2012
Hi Dj Blaze,

I am sorry that you have not received a faster response. Our Support Team has been extremely busy.

If you do have many corrupt files in your library, this would be a good start in sorting out this crashing issue.

I would recommend clicking on the top of the "status" column (far left small column) to sort by status.

This should group all the corrupt files together so you will be able to remove the library easily. Then I would recommend doing some thorough testing at home to see if you get any further crashing.

Do you have any other USB devices connected?
Dj Blaze 12:09 AM - 14 May, 2012
Hi Martin C,

I only have my USB GoFlex hard drive connected. Unfortunately, I'm unable to get to the point where it displays the "cracked cd" because it crashes before it can probably save any data. I have set aside a few videos that I've been able to identify as a SSL corrupt file which crashes the program, but there as so many and I have been using these files with SSL for a long time with no trouble. Btw, these files are playable with iTunes, quick time, etc. is there a reason why they shouldn't work with SSL?

I just finished testing on a brand new macpro with a fresh install and have encountered the same problems I'm currently having with my mac. So that tells me it's definitely something with my files. so i'll be uploading one soon to see if they can be tested
12:35 AM, 14 May 2012
Dj Blaze attached a file: MEDIA EXAMPLES THAT CRASHES SSL 2.4.1 (24109).zip
Download· Permalink
skyy 12:39 AM - 14 May, 2012
ok blaze try this,if its crashing when u scan ids tags,highlight a few drag them to scan id,its faster to find the corrupt one ,just remember what we talked about ,its the same thing just faster
Dj Blaze 12:39 AM - 14 May, 2012
The files I just attached are few of many that will crash SSL when you try to drag/drop into SSL. All my video are from Promo Only and were ripped into .VOB from their DVD's then encoded to .mp4 with Visual Hub. I have all the originals so its not a problem to get my media back its just becoming a big pain.
skyy 12:43 AM - 14 May, 2012
you need to use handbrake,,there a link on the forum somewhere,put handbrake in search box,it might fix the corrupt ones
Dj Blaze 12:43 AM - 14 May, 2012
I also noticed that when I when SSL is not crashing and able to analyze its changing my media's year tag info to match track number so for instance if a video in a album was track #1 out of 30 and the years was 2010 after it was analyze the year now reflects 1 not 2010.
Dj Blaze 12:48 AM - 14 May, 2012
Hi Skyy, but that would mean handbrake would be re-encoding my media which would cause loss in quality. Since I have the originals its not a problem to re encode form the originals, but this is very very time consuming and since I have over 10k music videos I'm not sure how long it will take to identify all the corrupt tracks.

At this point I'm wondering if SSL is the source of corruption since this was at one point a problem in the past. idk
12:53 AM, 14 May 2012
Dj Blaze attached a file: Screen Shot 2012-05-14 at 2.52.31 AM.png
View· Permalink
Dj Blaze 12:54 AM - 14 May, 2012
The last uploaded attachment shows how Analyzing has changed my years tag to reflect my track number, but this isn't the case with all videos I would say its happening about 50% of the time.
Dj Blaze 12:59 AM - 14 May, 2012
I'm also using Mixed in Key to updated all my key tag info, but this was never visible in previous SSL versions until 2.4.1. Very nice, but I'm still wondering if my cue points will be saved to the actual files... all of which is irrelevant if SSL doesn't stop Bitching around with my files.
Dj Blaze 12:03 PM - 14 May, 2012
At the moment I'm having to run a past version of SSL to identify my corrupt files so far 2.3.1 (23103) will process all tracks without crashing and shows corrupt files with the cracked cd. The only fallback is my key meta information is not being updated, but that was always the case.
Dj Blaze 12:05 PM - 14 May, 2012
I'm pretty sure I've always had some files were corrupt that had cracked cd's, but the tolerance level for these were a lot higher with previous versions. Additionally, I never had a crash due to a using a track with a cracked cd.
Dj Blaze 7:16 AM - 15 May, 2012
Just a update: I've identified 67 corrupted files, but had to use 2.3.1 (23103) to do so since 2.4.1 wouldn't even open without crashing unless I deleted my _Serato folder and selected read from iTunes library.

As for the year changing problem I've found that SSL only does this after I've processed my .mp4's with Mixed in Key (Lastest Mac Release). So I'm not sure if this is a SSL problem or a Mixed in Key problem, but this is definitely the cause.

As for now I'm going to say this problem is fixed since it was my .mp4's that was causing the crashes, but this is no excuse... SSL should be able to handle such things and not crash immediatily unlike past releases (2.3.1)

I hope that with my uploaded files and crash reports this will help aid any future release or update.
skyy 1:03 PM - 15 May, 2012
blaze try new beta
Dj Blaze 4:54 PM - 15 May, 2012
Thanks again Skyy!!! I didn't realize there was already a beta for this... its been years since I had the time or energy to focus on the beta testing...
Serato, Support
Martin C 2:31 AM - 16 May, 2012
Hey Dj Blaze,

It sounds like that some of your problems were caused by having those corrupt files in your library. These corrupt files could have potentially caused your database V2 to be corrupted also, which can lead to all kinds of problems.

The 2.4.2 public beta is available to try here: serato.com

If you are still having further issues, let me know and we can try some troubleshooting some other things.
3:00 AM, 30 May 2012
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.