Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

List of HID bugs with ssl/CDJ2000

BriChi 7:00 PM - 6 May, 2012
So I have owned the cdj2000's since release, 2.5 years ago, and for the most part just link to their RB software. Lately I have been using Serato again a little more due to some clients wanting video mixing. these are issues I see with HID and are pretty annoying.

1. no red cue marker is set in the cdj jog wheel display window when cue is set

2. the LOOP in/out button lights are off unless you set a loop, annoying when in dark places, those are normally lit when using cdj's without serato

3. the spinning jog wheel display is very jittery, not a smooth rotation at all

4. scrolling through tracks with the dial is very jumpy an inconsistent, sometimes it will freeze or jump 1 or 2 tracks beyond where you want it to stop

5. sometimes when I press "back" on the cdj to go from tracks to crates, the cdj jumps back 2 screens so now I am out of HID mode and have to select "control" again

6. at least 3-4 times last night when I would pitch bend, the track would grab instead of bend as if I touched the top of the platter even though I was very careful only touching the side, this never happens to me when I am not using serato

7. scrolling through tracks displays on both decks, not a big deal, just distracting and unnecessary and probably a big cause in jittery scrolling

8. PLEASE get rid of the album art window, when scrolling through tracks half of the cdj window is wasted by a stupid album art window, this can be turned off when using cdj's in standalone mode but not in serato HID mode

9. the cue light is finicky, sometimes it's lit sometimes it's off even when cues are set.

10. all night I had to load tracks twice in order for the yellow triangle markers that display the 5 cue points to appear to see where they they are in the track, I finally just got into the habit of double puching the scroll knob so every track loads twice

11. sometimes a track would not load the waveform, especially if I went to a cd or usb and then back to HID, it took like 3-4 songs in before the wave would start showing again on that deck

12. the known bass vibration issue, didnt happen to me but figured I would add it to the list

so HID mode is a cool idea and works ok if you dont have a separate midi controller and want to only use the 2000's to control SSL, but it needs A LOT of work. Fortunately none of these issues are real showstoppers but definitely annoying enough to not want to use HID mode, yet I dont want to use control signals because then I have to go back to the keyboard to trigger everything in REL mode

hopefully there will be some time put into this in the near future, it has been a while since I see any improvements on cdj HID mode
marcb 1:56 PM - 7 May, 2012
I agree with bri this mode is amazing and I will keep using it but it does scare me with all the bugginess it brings when you use it like this. the main reason i bought these players was to use the hid mode and steer away froma control signal. i feel this is the way all decks are heading and with a lil fix this will put this program in the top of its game again with the pios
BriChi 2:14 PM - 7 May, 2012
with more and more hardware companies doing their own software like Rekordbox and Engine, There is more and more reason not to use programs like serato, Traktor, etc.... honestly, if it wasn't for being forced to mix videos every once in a while, there would never be a reason to boot up serato. Look at how many guys recently doing the big shows like Ultra don't even use DVS, they show up with flash drives and dj away. the longer it takes serato to fix this, the more people will look for alternatives
DJ RichieStyles 4:42 PM - 7 May, 2012
I agree with Brichi on this. Some of the things listed are not so bad to over come but the bass vibration is really bad. i know i can put the time codes in but thats not what i want to do i like it better in HID. I can put the time code in any CD player but i choose pioneer CDJ 2000 the elite cd player and have this problem where the others don't. Serato teamed up with pioneer to make this HID work so lets make it better and fix this one problem for now. we need to do something about this please. i know so many people with this problem and see so many people posting this problem so please lets fix this.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 5:48 PM - 7 May, 2012
This is an excellent threadd. The Serato guys have asked us to send threads their way. This is better than 10 random HID issue threads. Cheers BriChi

We know however that these units work perfectly with the NoiseMap™ discs. For now, that is a great way to go.
BriChi 5:53 PM - 7 May, 2012
thx Chad, will do, Like I said, i mainly just use the decks in standalone mode with a usb drive but at times I need to use video, I will use HID for the convenience of the midi buttons :), to go back to timecode is old school, LOL
Serato, Support
Martin C 10:39 AM - 8 May, 2012
Hi BriChi,

Really appreciate what you have done here by compiling all potential issues in a clear format.

Im sorry at this stage there isn't much more I could tell you that you haven't already heard before, but we are aware of this issue, and do hope to resolve them and improve HID mode for our software at some stage in the future.

Having people such as yourself explain the issues clearly helps us (as tech support) bring attention to how much the issues affects users and hopefully contributes to getting these things resolved, a higher priority.

Thanks again :)
BriChi 12:04 PM - 8 May, 2012
no problem, glad to help
DeeJay Staas 7:52 PM - 8 May, 2012
Serato, were all waiting fot this fix !
marcb 5:37 AM - 9 May, 2012
It's all about how you can stay ahead of the curve. There is a lot of new products out there that have the hid mode working flawless and I don't see why this should be an issue that can be addressed immediately.
I've been sticking with you guys through thick an thin almost like we are married. So please don't let us all down. Timecode CDs are cool but when you spend 4k on players hid mode is a lot cooler.....
Serato, Support
Martin C 7:15 AM - 9 May, 2012
Hey marcb, I totally understand what you are saying, and certainly appreciate the loyalty to our products.

Unfortunately I cant make any promises about when these issues will be fixed.

Perhaps I could move this to the Scratch Live feature request or a general discussion of some sort? That way it could gather more support and comments from users that are affected by this issue.

I have already linked this thread to an internal area where we are tracking this issue and trying to collate threads to high light the importance of having these issues fixed.
marcb 5:01 PM - 9 May, 2012
@martin I couldnt see why not, maybe more people will have the same issue and this maybe can speed the process up and gain more attention. Link away lol
7:09 AM, 10 May 2012
Discussion moved to Scratch Live Feature Suggestions
BriChi 8:18 PM - 12 May, 2012
another pretty big bug is if I have a cd in the 2000 and playing from it, then I switch to HID to use serato, there is no way to eject that cd IF i am playing on that deck without it ejecting the playing song in serato. i had a song playing in in serato last night, guy asked for his cd back so I switched to cd mode and hit eject and it ejected the serato paling song,,, not good! let us map and unman buttons please, I don't see why there is a need to ever eject a serato deck so just leave it unmapped
Serato, Support
Martin C 5:38 AM - 15 May, 2012
Thanks BriChi, although I couldn't say for sure that is exactly a "bug" as that is how it the software is intended to operate, if I understand you correctly.

It is a feature request however, to be able to overwrite the HID functionality with your own MIDI mapping, which currently is not possible, so I can understand how this could cause an issue for for you.
BriChi 12:04 PM - 15 May, 2012
yeah, you may be missing part of what I am saying, sorry If I didn't explain it right. In short, If I go from HID to cd mode and play a cd (yet a song is playing in serato also because I like to utilize 4 decks sometimes), If I go to eject the cd while in cd mode, it also ejects the track playing in serato. Once in cd mode, all operations should be ignored for serato I would think
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:39 PM - 15 May, 2012
Ah yes, sorry, I did misunderstand you. I would also expect the same thing if you had correctly moved switched from HID mode to CD mode, it should not be controlling Scratch Live any longer.

Do any other buttons on the CDJ still affect Scratch Live in this situation?
BriChi 11:58 PM - 15 May, 2012
not that I am aware of, I can test more this weekend
MAS77 12:46 AM - 1 June, 2012
Good evening everyone, I just did the HD set up for my CDJ 2000. I'm able to play of the USB, CD and get sound with no problem, But when I try to play from the serato i get no sound at all and the channel light do not light up. Any suggestion of how i can fix this????
I'm able to control serato with the CDJ, hit play, Loop, Cute and all, but I do not get any sound and the song are actually running on both deck.. (also i have the Serato on INT mode while doing all this)
BriChi 1:31 AM - 1 June, 2012
make sure the SL box outputs are plugged into your mixer for sound, the cdj does not carry any of the sound, it still routes through the Scratch Live box
MAS77 1:33 AM - 1 June, 2012
ohhh, ok, now do I still connect the mixer via USB to the computer??
MAS77 1:49 AM - 1 June, 2012
Brichi, you are the man, Problem solved. Joachim Garraud did not mention it during his YouTube presentation of the HID set. I glad I found this website. Thank you again Brichi, everything is working now. This HID is a beauty, hopefully the others small glitches get fix soon.!!
BriChi 2:42 AM - 1 June, 2012
no problem at all man, glad to help!
Serato, Support
Martin C 4:26 AM - 1 June, 2012
Props BriChi :)
Millz 12:38 PM - 2 June, 2012
I mentioned many of these bugs in alpha and beta areas back when the HID was being put together. The only one that I have a problem with is the pitch bending and grabbing the track. Also sometimes when scratching, tracking is lost and jumps 2seconds ahead or behind, depending on which motion you are scratching (ie: scratching backwards = backwards jump 2 seconds ;)
Mr Wilks 1:58 PM - 3 June, 2012
Quote:
It is a feature request however, to be able to overwrite the HID functionality with your own MIDI mapping, which currently is not possible, so I can understand how this could cause an issue for for you.

I use Serato Video and to be able to map the unused 'SLIP' mode buttons on the 900's to the left and rightvideo crossfade would be a dream. It would save me setting up the Dicers every night just for one button that is unused.

Please consider letting us map this UNUSED button. Purleeeease???
Serato, Support
Martin C 5:07 AM - 5 June, 2012
It is potentially something that may happen in the future to advance MIDI mapping and I think it would be pretty cool, but there isn't really any set plan as to when it may happen.
monchi 12:36 PM - 29 March, 2013
Considering getting some cdj 2000s. A year old thread shows that I am actually using the search box. Of the 12 bugs posted by BriChi how many are still an issue, thanks in advance to all who answer
BriChi 2:54 PM - 29 March, 2013
so far from a quick look over, I havent used it in years but i do know from others for sure the 1,2,3,4,5 and 12 still happen, Maybe someone else can comment on the rest
monchi 3:01 PM - 29 March, 2013
Thanks BriChi for chiming in, guess I will wait before spending 1600 for each Cdj. I do plan on using them with SSL.
BriChi 3:08 PM - 29 March, 2013
no problem, Keep in mind if you shop around more, you can definitely get the 2000MK! cheaper then 1600
Daniel Ventura 9:57 AM - 31 March, 2013
Forget the hid implementation in SSL it's way too buggy. Im on Traktor and tested it in SSL again just for fun few days ago in 2.4.4 - they didn't improve anything. Still not usable because of skipping etc. And you still have to use the oldfashioned external interface. After few tracks i switched back To Traktor hid that works like a charm without any issues and you can use the internal soundcard with its spdif out! Forget SSL and cdjs thats no fun at all :-/
migito888 3:05 PM - 31 March, 2013
I use both SSL and Traktor on CDJ2000s for live gigs. SSL is usable on HID but the implementation on Traktor is way better (they joined the party very late).