DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

How to make Itunes Rescan ID3 Tags

dreamkast 1:35 AM - 2 May, 2012
So my process of downloading and importing tracks to my Djing laptop goes abit like this.

1. download music onto my PC
2. import into itunes
3. Go into scratch live where it reads my itunes library
4. tag all my tracks (the reason I like to tag in SSL is because you can see wave forms etc)
5. Move the the tracks that I want from the list onto my external for my mac.

Problem occurs when I go back into Itunes these tags have not been changed, you need to play the song for it to change. When your editing 500+ mp3s this is not ideal.
djvtyme85 1:45 AM - 2 May, 2012
Easy fix ( ctrl + select all & ctrl + I) this will update instantly. Do it all the time
dreamkast 2:20 AM - 2 May, 2012
Sorry so "Ctrl + L" will update whatever tracks are selected?
djvtyme85 6:10 AM - 2 May, 2012
Yep
dreamkast 6:19 AM - 13 May, 2012
Does not work.
DJMark 7:58 AM - 13 May, 2012
Quote:
Easy fix ( ctrl + select all & ctrl + I) this will update instantly. Do it all the time

Are you using an old version of iTunes?

I ask because I remember iTunes doing what you described a long time ago, but not in any of the more recent versions (several years, I think).

It's for that reason I started tagging everything before adding to iTunes.
djvtyme85 4:51 PM - 13 May, 2012
Works once I select all in Serato they update automatically
dreamkast 8:56 AM - 14 May, 2012
This is about updating them in itunes lol?
DJ GaFFle 12:42 PM - 14 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Are you using an old version of iTunes?

I ask because I remember iTunes doing what you described a long time ago, but not in any of the more recent versions (several years, I think).

It's for that reason I started tagging everything before adding to iTunes.

^^^ This doesn't work with Macs. ^^^

For the Mac users, you should CTRL + A to highlight your entire iTunes library then right-click and choose Get Info (or do a Command + i). Afterwards, put a check box in something non-necessary like the 'Composer' tag and put a space in it or perhaps your DJ name. When you click 'OK', iTunes will modify all of your highlighted file's 'Composer' tags to whatever you chose and at the same time, it'll re-read and update all of your tags.

I'd practice this on a small batch of files (5 or so) before you attempt this on your entire library just so you don't make any mistakes.
djvtyme85 4:28 PM - 14 May, 2012
Lol what he said^
dreamkast 3:49 AM - 15 May, 2012
THANKS ALOT^^ gonna give that a go. This is on PC :)
djpuma_gemini 5:47 AM - 15 May, 2012
Quote:
THANKS ALOT^^ gonna give that a go. This is on PC :)

I do that same thing, but usually put a number in the disc location as I use composer/grouping etc.
It will remove any info if you are doing this to albums, but I do it to videos and don't have any disc info or track number in it.

Thanks stupid Apple for changing this essential task.
dreamkast 10:53 AM - 15 May, 2012
Just used this method, perfect. Thanks alot.
DJ GaFFle 2:26 PM - 15 May, 2012
I soooo wish Apple would enable CTRL+F do do a global search in iTunes. I like that capability is Serato and other applications.
LJ_WOOLSEY 3:29 PM - 15 May, 2012
9.2 was last itunes you could update tags now you have to use the workaround mentioned above.
radiosparxxx 8:34 PM - 15 May, 2012
Quote:
I soooo wish Apple would enable CTRL+F do do a global search in iTunes. I like that capability is Serato and other applications.

Because that search button in the top right of the window is too hard to find?
DJ GaFFle 10:42 PM - 15 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Because that search button in the top right of the window is too hard to find?

Okay clever one... So if you're in a sub-playlist in iTunes (say Hip Hop) and you wish to search for the Doobie Brothers, you need to scroll all the way up to Library -> Music (your main folder) then click in the top right to do your search (because it's not in your Hip Hop sub-playlist). Why force us to do all of that when a CTRL + F will globally search the entire music collection no matter what sub-playlist you're in. (Just like Scratchlive allows).
djvtyme85 4:45 AM - 16 May, 2012
True very true
IC4RUS 9:43 PM - 27 February, 2013
I just tried this out on a mac.

-Select all, command i
-change equalizer preset
-songs rescan
-change equalizer preset back to none
-all info is preserved and tracks are rescanned

its an extra step but if you use the composer field or track number field this is an alternative.
DJ GaFFle 10:13 PM - 27 February, 2013
Quote:
I...
its an extra step but if you use the composer field or track number field this is an alternative.

I'd suggest this instead. No one uses the composer field or track number field.
markmuhleder 8:30 PM - 3 January, 2014
Another way is to uncheck 'Keep iTunes Media folder organized' in the iTunes preferences, then go back in and recheck it. Should go through and rescan all the ID3 tags.
Dezzz 4:14 PM - 29 May, 2014
The suggestion by IC4RUS seems the safest way and one which can cause the least potentail corruption of data that could be lost...

Thank you....
dizzyrocks2001 1:39 PM - 17 August, 2014
Thanks for this post because I'm currently in the process of beat gridding all my tracks in SDJ and was wondering how to rescan the bpms in iTunes so this thread really helped. I'd like to add that when I did it in iTunes 11 I didn't even have to change anything (like adding in something non-necessary in the composer field or something), as soon as I clicked "get info" all the bpms automatically updated :)
dizzyrocks2001 1:41 PM - 17 August, 2014
...ok wait, I lied, just clicking "get info" didn't work, I did have to change a field. So I just put a single blank space in the composer field and that did the trick.
ptamike 4:38 PM - 17 August, 2014
I use this to update my iTunes ID3 Tags. I have a icon at the top of my iTunes tabs. I highlight the files I want updated click on the icon and all my files update with no problem. Works great after analyzing files in Serato and then want the BPM to show up in iTunes.
www.mediafire.com
JDfunky 11:10 AM - 13 November, 2014
If you are using iTunes on a Mac, you can set up an AppleScript to rescan ID3 tags of any tracks selected. Once setup it's easy to run.

Open the Script Editor application (by default its in the Applications/Utilities folder). Open a new script document. Copy the code that follows this paragraph and paste into the Script Editor document. Save it with a name such as "Refresh ID3 Tags.scpt" (the .scpt part is needed). The location that you save it needs to be ~/Library/iTunes/Scripts (where ~ is your user directory.) Note that if your Library folder is not visible, select the "Go" menu from the Finder menu bar, then while the drop down menu is visible, press and hold the Option (alt) key which will reveal the hidden "Library" option).
If a "Scripts" folder doesn't already exist in ~/Library/iTunes/, create it as a new folder. Here's the code to copy and paste into Script Editor:

tell application "iTunes"
refresh selection
end tell

After saving the script as described, close Script Editor. Open iTunes. Select the tracks you wish to rescan. (If all of them, do Command + A to select all.) Just to the left of the Help menu at the top, you will see a little scroll icon, it is the Scripts menu. From that menu select your "Refresh ID3 Tags" script, or whatever you named it. It will make iTunes rescan those songs selected.
DJ Chubby C 3:46 PM - 25 February, 2015
Going to try the script! Thanks for the info!
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 4:01 PM - 25 February, 2015
Gotta try that script - updated iTunes and my old method stopped working
Radio101 10:06 AM - 8 April, 2015
JDfunky...gotta say : thanks..your solution works out of the box !
It was not needed to end with .scpt in filename, Mavericks saved this as "script" file automatically in my case.

I'm on Itunes 12.1 / Mavericks
berniec 12:23 PM - 3 September, 2015
Am in ITunes 12.2.2.25 and want to update tags for Audition editing. Your scripts idea sounds great but (and I feel stupid here) you say 'Select the tracks you wish to rescan. (If all of them, do Command + A to select all.) Just to the left of the Help menu at the top, you will see a little scroll icon'.

Done that but can't find any scroll icon. Where exactly should I be looking on the iTunes pane?
JDfunky 6:51 AM - 4 September, 2015
Your menu doesn't look like this?

cl.ly
JDfunky 8:41 AM - 4 September, 2015
I seem to recall the Script menu icon only appears if you actually have scripts in the folder. But you have already done that, yes? You have either put the script into the existing Scripts folder, or created a new Scripts folder one if it wasn't there?

Try quit and restart iTunes, see if that makes it appear...
berniec 8:33 AM - 7 September, 2015
OK (apologies, have been away for the weekend) - have found the scripts icon - thanks. I had stupidly failed to locate the script editor file correctly. Ah well. Unfortunately, however, when I now select a track in iTunes and then select the Refresh ID3 Tags it doesn't seem to be doing anything (I cut and pasted the suggested text into the Script editor as advised - have double-checked). The Tags remain as 'ID3 v2.2' - which Audition says is 'unsupported' - asking me to convert that to v2.3 or 2.4 '....to prevent losing metadata'. Any ideas?
JDfunky 12:00 PM - 7 September, 2015
No sorry berniec.. I suggest contacting Audition and asking them, and/or posting a new question in Serato forums to see if someone else here knows.
berniec 9:43 PM - 7 September, 2015
Ok - thanks anyway - but let me rephrase the question before you leave this. When I run the update script as described above, many current Tags listing as ID3 v2.2 remain with that Tag. If I update Tags, would I expect them to got to v2.3.or v2.4 - or whatever?? As you can see - not sure I understand how Tag updates work. Any help you can offer on that one?
JDfunky 12:15 PM - 8 September, 2015
berniec, I didn't do this to update the versions as you are. I did it to ensure changes I made to tags in iTunes were reflected in Serato when I looked at the tracks there. (They weren't prior to that).
berniec 1:44 PM - 8 September, 2015
OK - apologies. I misunderstood the nature of your reply, Thanks a lot anyway.
JDfunky 7:26 AM - 9 September, 2015
no need to apologise at all, I wish you the best finding out what you require. ;-)
Mayback 6:41 AM - 19 September, 2015
Quote:
Another way is to uncheck 'Keep iTunes Media folder organized' in the iTunes preferences, then go back in and recheck it. Should go through and rescan all the ID3 tags.

For anyone visiting this thread still this method worked for me!
Medj 4:02 PM - 12 June, 2016
The script works, but you have to use it after leaving serato.
Serato register the ID3 tags only after leaving it