DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

New laptop?

Nico13 10:24 PM - 29 April, 2012
Guys, I am currently using a dell xps within my dj set up. It's useless and crashes all the time. I have been looking for a all round new laptop for dj-ing and home/work use. I have had a good look and I like e new Samsung series 7 notebook (1tb, 8gb ram, intel i7 processor, 1gb AMD graphics card).

The problem, I have heard people having issues with AMD processors within the Serato set up, this laptop has an intel i7 processor but an AMD GRAPHICS processor, will there still be issues or will it be okay? I don't want to buy it if there's going to be issues? Please help!
Nico13 10:43 PM - 29 April, 2012
Here's the link to the laptop, detailing all the specs! Please tell me this will fly with SErato live?

www.johnlewis.com
phatbob 11:07 PM - 29 April, 2012
PERSONALLY, if I was spending that kind of money on a laptop it would be a MacBook Pro every time. Just looking at the reviews on there... A grand for a laptop with a flaky spacebar? It's details like that which make Apple worth the premium.

Anything over £500 on a Wintel machine is just crazy to me. Especially as that laptop loses most of its value as soon as it leaves the shop. You can resell a Mac for at least 50% of its value 3 years after buying it, if you want to upgrade later.

But as simple specs go, that will be great for Scratch Live. The AMD issue only affects CPUs, graphics aren't a problem.
Nico13 11:24 PM - 29 April, 2012
Cheers mate! Life saver! I know what your saying and it is tempting ! But if I was to get MBP with a similar spec (8gb ram, 1tb hard drive space) I'm talking £2k easy, this is £1k. I also bought a ton of other software for windows that I don't want/ cba to repurchase/ download for mac. Which is also RAM Hungary!

Space bar is a possible issue, but I use a wireless mouse on set if i need to and my CDJs can control most of the Serato functions. Its a cheapish power house that isn't to bulky, and when you go mac you don't go back, and I'm not ready for that move!

What's your set up if you don't mind me asking?
Sector478 11:58 PM - 29 April, 2012
agrees with phatbob.
Sector478 11:59 PM - 29 April, 2012
I run scratchlive on a 2010 macbook air with 2gb of ram and a 1.4 ghz core2duo. just barely above minimum spec but it has never once had a usb dropout. I run the buffer at 5 too. good luck
phatbob 12:32 AM - 30 April, 2012
Quote:
Its a cheapish power house that isn't to bulky

Not really that cheap though, is it mate? ;-)

I run a 13" Early 2012 Pro (the £999 one) and it eats SL for breakfast.

I also use a 2007 (5 years old!!) 15" Pro which I picked up on eBay for £500 and THAT runs SL like butter too.

You can always install Windows on a mac for your legacy programs you know, dude...

The saying 'once you go mac you never go back' is true, and for good reason... Get yourself to an Apple store and have a play for yourself.
phatbob 12:33 AM - 30 April, 2012
Sorry, my 13" is a 2011, not 2012. The current ones are even better, although the new IvyBridge versions will be out soon.

Actually, that's probably a reason to not buy ANY laptop for a few weeks. Those chips will be coming in across the board, Wintel and Mac.
Nico13 12:38 AM - 30 April, 2012
Depressed ! I guess its a mac then !
Nico13 12:50 AM - 30 April, 2012
When's the release date of these ivy bridge chips? They are mental! My rusty dell is on its last legs. Also expected price of one of these badboys?
phatbob 12:58 AM - 30 April, 2012
Pricing will be about the same as the current generation, which really makes them worth waiting for if you can.

Desktop chips are starting to ship now, laptops will be appearing in the next couple of months hopefully.
4:43 PM, 30 Apr 2012
Discussion moved to DJing Discussion
pdidy 3:30 AM - 1 May, 2012
Quote:
agrees with phatbob.

i 2nd that...... listen to phatbob.
djdalite 4:37 AM - 1 May, 2012
def go with the mac man, you wont have any regrets and it will run sl w.o issues

even get a older mbp or unibody macbook if you want to save $$

as far as your software, you can run windows on mac anyway.
DJPrice_inMD 10:44 AM - 1 May, 2012
My two year old MBP with 4gb of Ram and what was a mid range processor at the time I bought it runs Itch and pretty much everything else like a champ. I got tired of fiddling with my two windows laptops trying to keep them in the best shape to perform with. My hard drive did die in in my MBP, but they replaced it for free.