DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Need Needle Cartridge Advices !!!!! Also Needles for Serato Timecode

disco420 8:58 AM - 29 April, 2012
I'm Always play with Cdjs, i just have money to buy my own Turntables to play my records this days, this equipment is to expensive in my country, but now i have the money to buy my turntables and the Serato interface :)

I'll like to play my old records and also play my digital musics with Serato vinyl timecode

I don't like to be a specialized Dj, so i play everything that i judge as good music, electronic and non electronic stuff, i like turntablism styles but i like also to play in a more orthodox way with no scratch, just mixing, or even more orthodox with no mixing like David Mancuso :P

So, what type of cartridges and needles you can advice me, what is the best needle that unify sound quality, scratch properly, and timecode response ???

Thanks a lot everybody!
deezlee 9:48 AM - 29 April, 2012
Shure 44-7
phatbob 9:51 AM - 29 April, 2012
Shure M44-7s are perfect for timecode use, but I'm not a big fan of the sound of them when playing actual vinyl, especially electronic music.

For mixed usage like that I'd lean towards the Ortofon Nightclub, or the Shure Whitelabels.
deezlee 3:23 PM - 29 April, 2012
Yeah I dunno about nightclub music, but I know they don't wear my 45s put as quickly as ortifones. And they sound the same for hip hop as they did in the 90s which to me os how hip hop should sound. I used the ortifones for a while but they wore out my records faster.
deezlee 3:24 PM - 29 April, 2012
I mean I dunno about electronic music. Most edm djs I know use ortifones. Most hip hop / funk djs that I know use 44-7s.
disco420 10:58 PM - 29 April, 2012
and about ortolan 120s is a good option for balance sound quality and scratch capability?
disco420 10:58 PM - 29 April, 2012
*ortofon
phatbob 11:12 PM - 29 April, 2012
I would do a search on the forum here to find out about the S120s. They seem to have received mixed reviews, from what I've read. Haven't used them myself so I can't comment, but I've never been unhappy with any Ortofon carts that I've owned (which is most of the range).
disco420 12:28 AM - 30 April, 2012
And about Ortofon Pro S anybody use it with Serato, i read that this needle is good for mixing or scratch with a good sound quality, but and about using this with sera to time code? is good to?
Niro 12:45 AM - 30 April, 2012
I can honestly say the Ortofon S-120's are not very good for back cueing or scratching. Having the needle stay in the groove is important, even in Relative mode. Skipping needles will effect the audio and cause sticker drift.
Niro 12:48 AM - 30 April, 2012
I've tried a lot and am still on shire M44-7's. They will last forever, just clean them regularly and treat them carefully. The longer end gives it more suspension and allows it to stay in the groove better, but is also more fragile than the short ortofon tips.
disco420 12:59 AM - 30 April, 2012
But and the sound quality of the Shure M44-7 for just using this as a mixing or audiophile needle?
djvtyme85 1:04 AM - 30 April, 2012
M44 are muddy sounding when used with actual vinyl but they have a high output volume. The best balance is the shure sc35
Niro 1:07 AM - 30 April, 2012
I find the M44-Gs to be pretty good for mixing vinyl. Yes the M44-7's, color the sound with a boost in the low end department. For mixing vinyl, I would recommend the Ortofon Nightclubs. But if you're switching between digital and analogue, than I would suggest the DJ-s or the M44-G's.
disco420 1:31 AM - 30 April, 2012
But what is the best ortolan model or shire model that has a equilibrium in SCRTACH CAPABILITY + SOUND QUALITY AUDIOPHILE + USE WITH TIME CODE + REGULAR VINYL (NO TIMECODE) ???

that's what i need to know, i have t just pick a needle that has a good equilibrium in that features you know??
disco420 1:31 AM - 30 April, 2012
But what is the best ortofon model or shure model that has a equilibrium in SCRTACH CAPABILITY + SOUND QUALITY AUDIOPHILE + USE WITH TIME CODE + REGULAR VINYL (NO TIMECODE) ???

that's what i need to know, i have t just pick a needle that has a good equilibrium in that features you know??
djvtyme85 1:36 AM - 30 April, 2012
Sc35 or m44(the one with all black cart) by shure
disco420 1:55 AM - 30 April, 2012
M44-7 with technics headshell, or M44G
Because in my country does not have a M44G!

But you think the M44-7 with technics headshell has a good balance about all that features SCRTACH CAPABILITY + SOUND QUALITY AUDIOPHILE + USE WITH TIME CODE + REGULAR VINYL (NO TIMECODE) ???
DJ DisGrace 9:40 AM - 30 April, 2012
co-sign on Ortofons... Nightclub, DJ, and scratch (Panks!) have all worked very well for vinyl, serato, and scratching.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:19 PM - 30 April, 2012
Quote:
But what is the best ortolan model or shire model that has a equilibrium in SCRTACH CAPABILITY + SOUND QUALITY AUDIOPHILE + USE WITH TIME CODE + REGULAR VINYL (NO TIMECODE) ???

The PANK (Scratch) Ortofons - OM version achieve the best balance....at least for the top members of the board.....lol.

Make sure you get the OM version.

But remember this....

They're not for EVERYBODY....
disco420 5:08 PM - 30 April, 2012
And About the Ortofons Electro, they say that is a good needle for scratch and mixing! anybody use it?
DJ DisGrace 5:19 PM - 30 April, 2012
Quote:
And About the Ortofons Electro, they say that is a good needle for scratch and mixing! anybody use it?

yup, good all around needle as well. Any Ortofon will do well. Nightclub "E" will sound the best for real vinyl. I've always preferred the OM style as well.
Mahoney McGee 7:54 PM - 30 April, 2012
Quote:
And about Ortofon Pro S anybody use it with Serato, i read that this needle is good for mixing or scratch with a good sound quality, but and about using this with sera to time code? is good to?

I use the Pro S needles and have done so for years. I use them mostly for Scratch Live, But once in a while I also use them for scratching and mixing. I have no problem with them skipping, or wearing out the records fast.

I use the OM version
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:17 PM - 30 April, 2012
Quote:

Didn't I just TELL you what needle to get?

Ortofon Scratch - PANK OM Edition.

Don't let me have to come back in this thread...
DJ Yaitanis 12:01 PM - 31 January, 2014
Its been awhile since a post here so I wanted to shout out again to see if time has changed anything here. Any new info on the new DJ Cartridges for Serato DJ?
DJ Yaitanis 12:02 PM - 31 January, 2014
Currently Using Stanton 680.v3's
Danno9999 1:40 PM - 31 January, 2014
Grado needles are supposed to be excellent for sound quality. I have a DJ version of the needle but it seems to struggle to stay in the groove with my older vinyl.

But it may be I've set it up incorrectly or not worn it in properly.
Detroitbootybass 3:58 PM - 1 February, 2014
Quote:
Grado needles are supposed to be excellent for sound quality. I have a DJ version of the needle but it seems to struggle to stay in the groove with my older vinyl.

But it may be I've set it up incorrectly or not worn it in properly.

The original Grado DJ100 and DJ200 models were replaced by the DJ100i and the DJ200i. I can't seem to remember if tracking was improved and/or the cantilever was adjusted to make backcueing a bit more stable. Which model are you using?
Danno9999 4:45 PM - 1 February, 2014
Quote:
The original Grado DJ100 and DJ200 models were replaced by the DJ100i and the DJ200i. I can't seem to remember if tracking was improved and/or the cantilever was adjusted to make backcueing a bit more stable. Which model are you using?

Interesting... I have the DJ200i

Can it handle scratching? Haven't really tested it in that respect...I really just bought it for recording vinyl.
Detroitbootybass 6:26 PM - 2 February, 2014
Oh, I wouldn't try to 'scratch' with the DJ200i. It just allows you to pull the record back to the beat (normal mix dj cueing stuff) without it jumping out of the groove as easily as the DJ200 model.
Danno9999 9:52 AM - 3 February, 2014
Ok yeah I thought that might be the case. Still not sure why it won't track properly on my old records but I might try it again. Maybe they are too worn/dirty for a more delicate needle.