DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

another craigslist WTF moment....

DeeJay*CASPER 9:16 PM - 2 January, 2008
found this in D.C.'s craigslist....HILARIOUS

Can someone DJ a Small New Years Eve Party at residential home in Fort Washington for $50. Tonight at 8 PM to 12:30 AM. Plenty of food.
If possible, would like to include karoakee. Sorry only have a budget for $50.00. Only small group of family, friends and children in our home.
Please e-mail me asap.

Thanks!

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
Compensation: $50.00
djbriguy 9:22 PM - 2 January, 2008
repost alert repost alert
DeeJay*CASPER 9:29 PM - 2 January, 2008
someone posted this already.....damn yall fast....LMAO
DeeJay*CASPER 9:40 PM - 2 January, 2008
found the original post.....LOL....my bad
bourbonstmc 9:43 PM - 2 January, 2008
Quote:

Now cha cha real smooth...
Julls 12:08 AM - 3 January, 2008
Hahahaha! Funny! $50 WTF?
Discobee 1:15 AM - 3 January, 2008
that's not as bad as this ad...which is illegal and feeds the microwavers.

seattle.craigslist.org
dj bedtime 7:07 AM - 3 January, 2008
That fool is selling the same stuff- down here in los angeles. Same ad and all.

I wouldnt be suprised if it was a scam. Some young kid-- that is djing for the first time wants to get his record collection quick with minimal effort. I could see that having scam written all over it.

Another thought-- say you buy this collection. What keeps you from going right back on craigslist and re-selling it to others.
Discobee 9:36 AM - 3 January, 2008
dude used to advertise it for like $100, then $75, now $25...which to me indicates that he had to lower the price due to a lack in sales. He probably reposts on every city on CL. Wack!
Djbran 3:19 PM - 3 January, 2008
Quote:
that's not as bad as this ad...which is illegal and feeds the microwavers.

seattle.craigslist.org

Watch your back. This guy might be withthe Thundercats ahaha
djchope 8:21 PM - 4 January, 2008
Quote:
That fool is selling the same stuff- down here in los angeles. Same ad and all.

I wouldnt be suprised if it was a scam.

lol i think it is, i saw the same ad in Houston
Logisticalstyles 1:58 AM - 4 February, 2008
here's another craigslist ass atlanta.craigslist.org.
Logisticalstyles 2:11 AM - 4 February, 2008
The links not working, but here's what it said. Read the last paragraph.

if you are reading this ad, it is still for sale. PCDJ Red has been redesigned and rebuilt for complete ease-of-use and management of music files (.MP3,.WMA,.WAV and Microsoft DRM files). It contains much of the power and versatility of our award winning flagship product PCDJFX. If you're looking for the new DJ technology from PCDJ but want a simple interface, the new PCDJ Red will suit you. Simple but powerful.

Even if you're just getting started, or have extensively used DJ software products before, you know how difficult the learning curve can be to play and mix music files. PCDJ Red software provides you with a cleaner, better interface to perform and mix music for any event or even to play music at home. Whether you're DJing a wedding party or event, organizing your music, broadcasting on a radio station or just making mix cds, PCDJ Red software provides not only the tools for today, but the ability to build your features for tomorrow. The VRM technology allows you to add more plug-ins and expand the software to suit your needs. PCDJ software has always provided one of the most progressive and robust feature sets for DJ performance.

Get it for half the price of retail. i have upgraded to Torq. this is a great time to jump on the "digital dj " band wagon. email mike or call *** *** ****. i will trade this for an external hard drive with 160 gigs or more.
DJCheLu 2:49 AM - 4 February, 2008
You know what really grinds my gears.......Some ASSHat was advertising serato scratch live software for 400 bucks. If you didnt read the ad carefully you would assume 400 bucks dam not a bad deal. Well guess what he packaged and shipped serato scratch live free software burned to a CD for 400 bucks!!!!!!! I heard about it because i know a guy who got scammed by this ass.
Discobee 4:46 AM - 4 February, 2008
Find that guy and beat his ass!
dj bedtime 5:08 AM - 4 February, 2008
HHHAAA-- Theres a guy who recently posted on Craigslist the following..

"hey!! I have the Serato Box and records but I need the software. Willing to pay good money to anyone that will copy it for me and sell it."

I was half tempted to write to him and say "hey dick- check the website asshole!!"
wakka 5:12 AM - 4 February, 2008
Quote:

"hey!! I have the Serato Box and records but I need the software. Willing to pay good money to anyone that will copy it for me and sell it."

I was half tempted to write to him and say "hey dick- check the website asshole!!"

I'm tempted to email him too...
Except saying:

"Yo. $100 and I'll even upload it onto the official Scratch Live site. Yeah. Just for you, kiddo."
djtekno 5:20 AM - 4 February, 2008
I was gonna buy this shortenurl.net =]
djtekno 5:21 AM - 4 February, 2008
Whoops I posted on the wrong section!!!!
Culprit 8:15 PM - 4 December, 2008
losangeles.craigslist.org

I need a Vj/Dj (Valley)
Reply to: see below
Date: 2008-12-03, 4:48AM PST

I'm looking for a dj who can vj or is looking to start. If you have videos awesome, if not not I can provide them. Looking for an addition to our kick ass team of dj/vj's, must use serato or video capable program & be able to audition for me and know all styles, from Top 40, Alternative, 80's, Hip Hop, House,etc.. You should be able to read a crowd, great personality a must! I might have a weekly show for the right candidate. Pay starts at 100 for 4 hours. Email me with your inquiry's at jimmyg@no1betta.com

Jimmy G

ps check out our myspace/no1bettaent

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
* Compensation: no pay

PostingID: 943058759

if anyone responds to this ad... wow..
R-Tistic 8:56 PM - 4 December, 2008
Quote:

Whoaaaaaaaaa...and I wouldn't be shocked if the box he has wasn't even a Serato box...but somethin like a Sound Blaster external card!
Caramac 9:13 PM - 4 December, 2008
I thought that the VJ one wasn't too bad but then re read it and it said 100 for 4 hours not 100 for an hour. Lol.
Culprit 9:17 PM - 4 December, 2008
exactly..
Culprit 9:24 PM - 4 December, 2008
lol i love this one

I need a DJ.
Reply to: gigs-931079648@craigslist.org [?]
Date: 2008-11-23, 11:39AM PST

I need a REAL DJ that wants a REAL gig.

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
* Compensation: depends on quality.

PostingID: 931079648
wilkins820 2:13 AM - 6 December, 2008
well besides the sbit pay, i woulda said no just because of the ghetto spellingof shit.

no1betta?

i know that their name and all but its just a personal thing for me.

and of course the 4 hours at $100???

fuck that.
Culprit 7:55 AM - 6 December, 2008
ya know, i went back to check that ad out again, and they took that part out of it =P, they must of gotten some complains, hopefully from people in this thread.
Culprit 7:55 AM - 6 December, 2008
opps nevermind, its still there, im blind
DeeJay*CASPER 9:43 PM - 9 December, 2008
Reply to: gigs-949265735@craigslist.org [?]
Date: 2008-12-07, 11:21PM EST

We are a group of professional photographers
doing OUR ANNUAL XMAS PARTY SAT DEC 13
we need a DJ who needs photos for your website
and promotional materials.
please send info, website, references, phone ASAP
www.photohispanagroup.com

Compensation: $400 in digital imagenes plus $50 cash for gas
DeeJay*CASPER 9:43 PM - 9 December, 2008
classics
DeeJay*CASPER 9:50 PM - 9 December, 2008
apparently a promoter or bar owner for a bar in Georgetown-DC wanted dj's to come in and audition with promises of getting paid upon performance.....these are some of the responses from dj's that got burned....

Reply to: gigs-949856771@craigslist.org [?]
Date: 2008-12-08, 1:02PM EST

This guy is full of crap. Don't believe me based on this posting, email him first. He'll say he has several bars and that they are booking for those bars Tue-Sun nights. He will say come in to Third Edition and audition. When you talk money he will say $100 - $150 a night, up to $250 depending on experience. Then nothing. No email for weeks, then you email him and he'll say that a contract fell through, blah blah blah. Don't give him ANY of your personal info, it may be a scam.

Compensation: It's your identity

Reply to: gigs-950279288@craigslist.org [?]
Date: 2008-12-08, 5:26PM EST

Agreed! This guy is terrible, don't do it! I did the "audition" at 3rd edition and he said I did a good job, but once it was time to keep me busy he was nowhere to be found. I am supposedly "hired" but since I did my audition I have not spoken to him again.

I wouldn't trust it....

Compensation: no pay
DeeJay*CASPER 9:53 PM - 9 December, 2008
Reply to: mmafightworks@yahoo.com [?]
Date: 2008-12-08, 11:57PM EST

Hi, We are in need of a Dj for maybe like two hours once a month to come on member appreciation day. We have local food companies there offering free food so our next step is finding a DJ that wants to get there name out there, we have about 7 thousands members so your name will deff get out there. Please get back to me mmafightworks@yahoo.com

Compensation: Not sure

______REPLY_________

LA Fitness, Hope You're Paying (Sterling, Va.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
----------
Reply to: gigs-950957706@craigslist.org [?]
Date: 2008-12-09, 9:40AM EST

LA Fitness, I really hope you're going to pay a DJ for your event. You know, with how much you charge per month, times 7,000-plus members, I really hope you're going to pony up the money for this. And just because you have 7,000 members, does that mean all of them will be there those days you want somebody? Does that mean 7,000 people will call for business? Or are you looking for someone to truck their $1,000-$10,000 sound system out to your event to add the atmosphere for nothing?

If you haven't noticed lately, event people/companies have been revolting against your kind of ads. You're making money, so should the entertainment.

Compensation: Don't know!!!
latinblood2k1 3:32 AM - 10 December, 2008
damn I was just lookin @ those ads this morning lol thanks for pointing em out Dj casper haha
DeeJay*CASPER 11:43 PM - 10 December, 2008
--- update ----

the promoters response

SOUR DJ's IN GEORGETOWN!!! (Georgetown, DC)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
----------
Reply to: gigs-953029075@craigslist.org [?]
Date: 2008-12-10, 5:21PM EST

This is to the writers of the first and second replies on Craigslist:

About three months ago, we ran an ad on craigslist for DJ's. We had well over 50 responses to the ad and responded to everyone. We were recruiting DJ’s for 3 new locations and had shifts available on almost a nightly basis.

We screened our potential DJ’s on experience, attitude and knowledge of music.

We had several very strong candidates show up for interviews that still work with us to date. As everyone is aware, DJing is not an easy task. The crowd at this specific location is very diverse and we needed the “right fit”.

Every DJ that was brought in to audition was giving a proper interview and a chance to spin live. Each DJ was given instructions on exactly what they were expected to play while performing. We had several very strong candidates which did a great job playing live, but unfortunately, we also had a few candidates that did not follow our instructions. We simply said, thank you for trying out and if we had any other openings in the future, we would be in touch.

We never guaranteed anyone work, nor did we take any personal information. In response to the payment argument, no DJ working through our company has EVER received payment for less than what was promised. Dude to clientele cancelations, we have even paid our DJ’s out of pocket when a gig has been canceled.

Since then, the writer of this ad, who happens to be one of the DJ’s that did not make it, has tried to back door our company and work with management at the Georgetown location directly. Management then referred the DJ to us and asked the DJ to speak directly to us directly to be screened. Upon doing so, the DJ quickly got off the phone. Again, the first thing we screen for is attitude. Apparently, as represented in the response to our second posting, we did an excellent job of screening out this candidate.

Our company prides itself on providing top-notch customer service to our DJ’s as well as our clientele. We charge our clients less than our competitors and pay our DJ’s higher. We always strive to make everyone happy. We have several testimonial letters from clientele as well as DJs that can support the above statement. If there is ever a doubt please contact us directly and not through a posting on the internet.

Thank you to all who have responded and let’s keep the music playing!

Logisticalstyles 2:15 AM - 11 December, 2008
I wonder if the LA Fitness has paid thier BMI/ASCAP fees. They are responsible for paying those fees even if they hire a DJ to com in and play music.

Someone should remind them of that.
latinblood2k1 5:34 AM - 11 December, 2008
not really dj related but this sure has grabbed my attention

Reply to: thomsoncm@comcast.net [?]
Date: 2008-12-10, 1:05PM EST

This is an odd request, but I am putting it out there for any takers. I had a girlfriend a few years ago who lives across the country. Unfortunately, when I met her, i was not ready to settle down, in addition I work as a federal law enforcement agent, and in my line of business, it is not wise to expose your family to so many outsiders. So I made up all kinds of things as reasons she shouldn't move here or I shouldn't move there. Oddly, I really did like her!

Anyway, fast forward a few years, she will be coming to town over the next few weeks and insists on meeting my family and friends, and I kind of want to appease her, knowing this is the last time I will ever see her ... My family is in Ft. Worth Texas (alive and well), but she would not believe that...she would think it just another excuse.

So here is what I am looking for. I need at least one (male or female) person or more to meet with me and my ex-girlfriend, and pretend they are a family member---my mother or father, or my brother, sister or even friends. The more the merrier! The evening would probably consist of about 2 hours and you would basically have to go along with it. We could meet beforehand and I could give you all of the information you need to know...my name, personal info, etc, so that when she asks, you are ready!

What do you get out of it? Well, we can talk about money for the evening, and certainly a free meal at a great restaurant (maybe Morton's or something like that) and we could come to a restuarant near you. Obviously, you would need to meet the following criteria:

Siblings/Friends: Mid-20's to late 30's
Parents: Mid-50's to late 60's

I am a mixed race (1/2 White, 1/4 Korean, 1/4 Venezuelan), so unless you are extremely white or extremely black, your appearance should work.

Looking for 1-5 people, so if you all know each other, even better. Free meals and drinks!!
latinblood2k1 5:45 AM - 11 December, 2008
talk about being desperate!!

latina who likes to dance.......

Reply to: gigs-952993476@craigslist.org [?]
Date: 2008-12-10, 4:54PM EST

I am trying to find a Hispanic woman to accompany me to a bar or club this weekend. I would just like to sit next to you and buy you a few drinks, THATS IT! I don't expect anything sexual and you do not even have to talk to me if you don't want to. I will NOT touch you or flirt with you at all. After you have gotten enough drinks, food, etc whatever you want, I would just love to watch you dance. You can hit the dance floor of the club solo, or find a good looking guy at the club to dance with. Whenever you are tired of dancing, I will buy you more drinks and drinks for the man/men you may have danced with. If you dont want anymore drinks, after dancing you can feel free to leave. I will pay all expenses and also an hourly fee if you require that. Please shoot me a message with a required rate if you are interested. Latinas only. Thanks
JonnyBlazeEcu 7:15 AM - 11 December, 2008
WOW check this guy out!!! He wants someone to "teach" him to DJ

*** Looking for a DJ to teach me how to DJ **** (DC)
Reply to: gigs-915567209@craigslist.org [?]
Date: 2008-11-11, 10:33PM EST

I've always wanted to learn how to be a DJ and I've decided to take action.

Here is what I'm looking for :

You should have your own DJ equipment. I will give the most preference to someone who has a Pioneer CDJ-800 or above (I believe most lounges and bars use this). If you believe your equipment is better, I will certainly entertain learning on your equipment, provided you can make a good case as to why your equipment is good.
Please let me know where you live, and what DJ equipment you have when replying
You should be patient and knowledgeable enough to show me how to beat match or transition one song to another.

Email me if you have any other questions.
djchrischip 7:44 AM - 11 December, 2008
wow i cant believe some of the shit i just read that was posted on craig's list... The one with the kid that needed a pretend family was hysterical.
Culprit 7:18 PM - 11 December, 2008
lol
R-Tistic 7:58 PM - 11 December, 2008
Quote:
WOW check this guy out!!! He wants someone to "teach" him to DJ

*** Looking for a DJ to teach me how to DJ **** (DC)
Reply to: gigs-915567209@craigslist.org [?]
Date: 2008-11-11, 10:33PM EST

I've always wanted to learn how to be a DJ and I've decided to take action.

Here is what I'm looking for :

You should have your own DJ equipment. I will give the most preference to someone who has a Pioneer CDJ-800 or above (I believe most lounges and bars use this). If you believe your equipment is better, I will certainly entertain learning on your equipment, provided you can make a good case as to why your equipment is good.
Please let me know where you live, and what DJ equipment you have when replying
You should be patient and knowledgeable enough to show me how to beat match or transition one song to another.

Email me if you have any other questions.

Tell him I live on 8405 S. Western Ave. in Los Angeles, CA, and that I have a 57, two M5Gs, Qbert needles.....and 15 homeboys from the local gang outside with guns just in case there is any suspicious activity detected.
Dj Shamann 8:45 AM - 13 December, 2008
COCKSUCKER!!!

toronto.en.craigslist.ca

Need a free house/electro DJ? (TO)

Reply to: gigs-955824285@craigslist.org [?]
Date: 2008-12-12, 7:45PM EST

Hey
I am a house and electro DJ who has a full time job and DJ's strictly for fun. I am experienced, have insanely good music, and best of all will do it free of charge. Its something i love to do, and as i say, i dont need the money.

I can DJ clubs, bars, restaurants, lounges, etc. Only requirement for the venue is that they like very good music and like to have fun.

I, of course, have all my own stuff. You supply the crowd and the venue, I will do the rest.

PostingID: 955824285

Culprit 6:55 PM - 13 December, 2008
damn canadians
DeeJay*CASPER 4:19 PM - 15 December, 2008
Quote:
Only requirement for the venue is that they like very good music

that right there is train wreck waiting to happen
DJ JAMES E 8:39 PM - 15 December, 2008
In my area:

Reply to: gigs-958157575@craigslist.org [?]
Date: 2008-12-14, 6:51PM PST

We are looking for a DJ. We do not have any budget but we can offer great food, drinks and nice people to network with. We just need you for 5-6 hrs. We do not have any equipments. You do not have to be a pro .. If you are a novice but with decent speakers - pls let us know. Party is on 12-17-2008 starting at 7 pm to midnight.

* it's ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
* Compensation: We can give a small amount but we cannot promise.
Culprit 9:12 PM - 15 December, 2008
lol i saw this pathetic post as well..
djransom 8:45 PM - 16 December, 2008
Quote:
In my area:

Reply to: gigs-958157575@craigslist.org [?]
Date: 2008-12-14, 6:51PM PST

We are looking for a DJ. We do not have any budget but we can offer great food, drinks and nice people to network with. We just need you for 5-6 hrs. We do not have any equipments. You do not have to be a pro .. If you are a novice but with decent speakers - pls let us know. Party is on 12-17-2008 starting at 7 pm to midnight.

* it's ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
* Compensation: We can give a small amount but we cannot promise.

Do people think about the bullshit before they post it SMH
Culprit 8:50 PM - 16 December, 2008
not on craigslist no
sixxx 9:16 PM - 16 December, 2008
ooh. i should have someone from so cal book this.... then leave them hanging the day of the event. lol
Jesus Christ 9:46 PM - 16 December, 2008
I know someone who is good at that. Want me to hit him up sixxx?
sixxx 9:52 PM - 16 December, 2008
Fo sho man. That's definitely what we all need to do in our neck of the woods. I'm going to search on craigslist to do the same to someone in my area. :)
DJ JAMES E 6:42 AM - 17 December, 2008
If you have a DJ that you don't like in socal it would be funny to respond to that craigslist ad saying that you will do it and get their info / address / etc.

Then, call the DJ you want to get revenge with and try to book him for the same date saying that you heard him play and really want him regardless of the price. Even at $700/night. Try to convince him that you were burned before by a DJ and you will pay once everything is setup. Then give him the address to the party that is looking for the FREE dj.

I wouldn't do that, but would be hillarious once the guy gets there to the party and expects to get paid and the party host is expecting all this for free.
DeeJay*CASPER 5:22 AM - 18 December, 2008
Quote:
If you have a DJ that you don't like in socal it would be funny to respond to that craigslist ad saying that you will do it and get their info / address / etc.

Then, call the DJ you want to get revenge with and try to book him for the same date saying that you heard him play and really want him regardless of the price. Even at $700/night. Try to convince him that you were burned before by a DJ and you will pay once everything is setup. Then give him the address to the party that is looking for the FREE dj.

I wouldn't do that, but would be hillarious once the guy gets there to the party and expects to get paid and the party host is expecting all this for free.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HA......that was classic
R-Tistic 5:31 AM - 18 December, 2008
^
"You did a GREAT job!!"
"Thanks........"(Stands around)
"Yeah....so....how long you been doin it???"(Looks awkward)
"For a while......it's my job, you know, what I get PAID for....."(Starting to look mad)
"Oh yeah, I know what you mean!!"(Looking confused)
"Umm......"
Then a scene reminiscent to this happens....
Watchwww.youtube.com
Culprit 6:10 AM - 18 December, 2008
sooo evil man
Culprit 12:37 AM - 19 December, 2008
Quote:
DJ needed with equipment (Beverly Hills)
Reply to: drewdon30@aol.com [?]
Date: 2008-12-18, 1:34PM PST

DJ needed with sound equipment to DJ a birthday party 12/20 from 9p to 2am. Sound equipment and mic required. Job pays $150 cash. Hip hop and R&B fav's. Email me with experience, would like to book asap.

drewdon30@aol.com

* Compensation: $150 cash

PostingID: 963077434

I emailed the guy and said "$150 an hour you mean.. right.."

This guy is partying in Beverly Hills and all he can fork out is $150?? cheap bastard