DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Sixty-Two and sound settings?

Macsfred 2:33 PM - 23 April, 2012
Yes, the Sixty-Two has finally arrived in Stockholm!

I'm a long time user of the 57 and i must say that Rane has outdone themselves this time. I absolutely love it. I've been following the discussions on this forum lately and i think i have most of the functions and workarounds figured out. However i have some questions regarding sound settings. For some reason the sound gets a bit distorted when playing at higher volumes. And no, i don't oversteer the sound. What settings are you guys using, have you made any adjustments compared to the ones you where using on the 57?

Thnx Fredrik
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:23 PM - 23 April, 2012
The 62 has an extremely loud output.

First off.. make sure the volume coming out of SSL is NOT clipping.
If you notice all your files seem a bit louder after updating to 2.4.1 its because Serato made some volume adjustments in that version that make the volume of your files the same regardless of what Rane hardware your plugged into.
You may need to turn down the master volume knob in the upper right corner so that your files are not clipping.

From there, turn up the gain knobs on your mixer so that the files coming into the channels are just under clipping.
From there, turn up the output your using on the mixer to 7 (Unity Gain).
Now, you'll probably find that you can turn down your amp/speakers which will bring the signal to noise ratio down and get you a better overall sound.
DJ Dub Cowboy 6:35 PM - 23 April, 2012
I love the head room. Definitely a shift from 57 settings.
clickclickw00t 6:38 PM - 23 April, 2012
So I should be running my output at 7 and not full at 10 like I have been doing? I thought the master output at max was 0dB attentuation? Zach can you clear this up?
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:41 PM - 23 April, 2012
You can run it at 7 or 10.
If you run it at ten you won't have any head room left. If you wanted to turn up the volume you would then need to turn up your amp/speakers which is why I say set it to 7. This gives you a little head room from the mixer.
Dj Nyce 6:41 PM - 23 April, 2012
Quote:
So I should be running my output at 7 and not full at 10 like I have been doing? I thought the master output at max was 0dB attentuation? Zach can you clear this up?

^this
Dj Nyce 6:42 PM - 23 April, 2012
Quote:
You can run it at 7 or 10.
If you run it at ten you won't have any head room left. If you wanted to turn up the volume you would then need to turn up your amp/speakers which is why I say set it to 7. This gives you a little head room from the mixer.

eureka
goatee 6:43 PM - 23 April, 2012
so what's the auto gain settings that you suggest zach? is it 92, 94, 96, 98dB? just wanna make sure..
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:45 PM - 23 April, 2012
I suggest turning the auto gain off entirely and just turning up or turning down each track you load onto a virtual deck so that the track is just under clipping using the volume knob next to the virtual deck.
goatee 6:48 PM - 23 April, 2012
got it..thx zach
Macsfred 8:53 PM - 23 April, 2012
Quote:
The 62 has an extremely loud output.

Thanks for your quick reply Zach!

My master output in ssl is set to twelve o clock (that means 5 right?) and the signal coming out of ssl is not clipping, hardly in the yellow. My gain knobs are adjusted to two yellows dots on the vu-meter. Auto gain is off. The distortion appears when turning up the master out on the mixer above 7, which i find really strange (?) Even at low volumes. My 57 is fine, no distortion.

I have always used my master out to adjust overall volume during the night, should this not be used up to 10 with the 62? I usually adjust my amp/speakers with this set to 10 when i set up my system. Then i start the evening with master around 6 and and adjust up from there...
Rane, Support
Zach S 9:53 PM - 23 April, 2012
There is no issue with the master volume being set at 10.
The mixer is 32bit floating point and won't clip or distort even when running it into the red.
If you boost the master output to 10 and turn down your speakers do you still hear this distortion?
Macsfred 4:56 AM - 24 April, 2012
Quote:
If you boost the master output to 10 and turn down your speakers do you still hear this distortion?

I'm not sure if i understand 32 bit floating, but it sounds cool ;)

Yes, thats the thing. As soon as i turn the master knob above 7 i get distortion. I'm gonna give it a proper test run, using different settings today when the kids are not a sleep.... I was thinking, could the input select status have something to do with it? I'm using shure needles and it is now set to 5mV.
Macsfred 8:14 AM - 24 April, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Zach, i found the problem. My bad... I was using a RCA-splitter... (i have a NS6 hooked up to the same speakers). Apparently the 62 is more sensitive to a clean signal. After removing the splitter the sound is perfect, no distortion.

What is your recommendation regarding the input select due to different needles. Shure is stating 9,5mV. Does this affect the sound quality?
Niro 8:23 AM - 24 April, 2012
The signal selector is for the purpose of switching between real vinyl, so levels from digital to analogue aren't too different.
s3kn0tr0n1c 11:16 AM - 24 April, 2012
Quote:
The signal selector is for the purpose of switching between real vinyl, so levels from digital to analogue aren't too different.
+1

If using shures set it to around 9.5 so that when you play real vinyl the volume (for same PGM gain) is around the same.
Macsfred 1:19 PM - 24 April, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
+1

If using shures set it to around 9.5 so that when you play real vinyl the volume (for same PGM gain) is around the same.

Thank u guys :)
clickclickw00t 2:50 PM - 26 April, 2012
The problem is that some of the bars where I work- their sound systems aren't great and I run at full volume from midnight to 3AM, which I why I turn it up to 10. I have mine set to auto-gain and I find that with the 62, it sounds a lot better than with autogain turned off. With auto-gain turned on I rarely move my channel gain knobs from the midnight position, and they are always just below clipping.
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:03 PM - 26 April, 2012
Quote:
The problem is that some of the bars where I work- their sound systems aren't great and I run at full volume from midnight to 3AM, which I why I turn it up to 10.

Running the mixer to 10 is fine as long as your not clipping the inputs.
If your hearing distortion when your running it at 10 at these clubs its going to be because the system downstream from the 62 is being clipped.
You would need to turn down the amps so that the signal coming out of them is not clipping.
In most cases, your at the mercy of the club because their sound equipment is locked away.
In that case, you'll need to turn down the master level on the 62 in order to not clip the signal coming out of the amps.

Quote:
I have mine set to auto-gain and I find that with the 62, it sounds a lot better than with autogain turned off. With auto-gain turned on I rarely move my channel gain knobs from the midnight position, and they are always just below clipping.

The auto gain setting has no baring on sound quality.
All it does is turn up or turn down your files.
Whether using auto gain or not you'll want to run the audio out of SSL so that its hitting just under red.
clickclickw00t 4:25 PM - 26 April, 2012
Indeed. thanks for the info. That's all I want it to do anyways. I'm kinda of religiously against running in the red so distortion is never a problem for me.
Request 1:51 AM - 3 December, 2012
Quote:
The auto gain setting has no baring on sound quality.
All it does is turn up or turn down your files.
Whether using auto gain or not you'll want to run the audio out of SSL so that its hitting just under red.

Been reading different sources for how to set gain structure, and just wanted to clarify some things. (I'm using a 62 and sometimes an NS6 when i'm feeling lazy or the dvs setup would be too much trouble for the venue).

This article ( www.digitaldjtips.com ) says to set all the gain levels to "usually the last green LED" on the meters.

If I'm understanding them right, this page ( serato.com ) and Zach S say that 62 users can run levels in the orange section.

When I'm setting individual track gains should I set them to hit just below the yellow/orange in SSL or are they ok to run in the yellow/orange on average? Same question for the LEDs on the 62.

Thanks
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:34 PM - 3 December, 2012
All LEDs should be running in the hot yellow.. on any mixer or within any dj software... just don't run into the red:)
This will give you the optimal signal to noise ratio.