DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

New Audio-Technica Turntable AT-LP1240-USB

DJ Benny B NYC 3:37 PM - 18 April, 2012
Getting good reviews compared to 1200s

blog.turntablelab.com
L2daGee 9:41 PM - 18 April, 2012
after reading this quote in the article, I stopped reading.

"it is not in the top class of the 1200. The 1200 features superior construction, more metal parts, and a higher quality tonearm."
Rane, Support
Chad S. 9:46 PM - 18 April, 2012
We have one in here that we have been playing around with it. I've been a technic user from the first day I spun records till today.

These decks feel pretty good. Have had a few cats come through the office and have little scratch sessions on it. Nobody had said anything bad yet. I've been impressed.
djvtyme85 10:43 PM - 18 April, 2012
Won't know until it gets some miles on em. How are the buttons & platter ?
Rane, Support
Chad S. 11:23 PM - 18 April, 2012
solid stable platter with plenty of torque, adjustability on the breaking. Played with it a bit to get it just right aka like my technic.

Buttons feel solid and the removable light is pretty cool.
djvtyme85 11:57 PM - 18 April, 2012
I didn't see the weight spec. Are they heavy like the numarks or statons or are they tech weight?
Rane, Support
Chad S. 3:55 PM - 19 April, 2012
Might be a pound or two heavier than a technic. Thing has beef.
CMOS 8:12 PM - 19 April, 2012
I cant imagine that any of these decks that are coming out are sucky, they are all based on the expired technics patent.
slimmjimm 11:43 PM - 19 April, 2012
I have to admit, I'm a bit intrigued, but also for that price, you can get a second hand 1200.
Ollie 2:09 AM - 20 April, 2012
Solid TT i have 2 of them. I also have one pre-owned 1200 and one new 1200 so I've been able to compare all. The audio-technicas work the same and feel the same. I've skratched on them with no problems. They have and additional Reverse, 75 rpm, and Pitch % button. Great buy!
BiggTone408 3:00 AM - 22 September, 2012
@Ollie How are your audio technica's holding up? any problems with it? I'm in the market to buy some new tables. I really wanted some 1200s but with them being discontinued and their hefty price, its just not gonna happen.
Hassle 3:02 PM - 22 September, 2012
This is the Audio Technica version of that OEM turntable (Reloop, American Audio, Citronic), the Stanton ST-150 has a different casing but it's the same (yet more expensive ?!!?).

I've owned a pair of these since 2006 as a budget replacement for my Technics that got fuckin stolen. I've used them intensively for about 3 years until I got some 2nd tech MKIIs. They are still going strong today. They've been used and abused, I've used them at gigs too.

I'd say the build quality of these OEM joints is pretty good.
BiggTone408 10:45 PM - 22 September, 2012
@hassle good to hear...i read a forum somewhere that they have pitch problems but i was thinking whoever posted that just got some bad apples....i had a pair of numark ttx1 and i loved them until they went out on me and there's a BUNCH of threads on those turntables with everyone sharing the same problems i had...so audio technica sounds like a good buy. you're right about the price point of stanton st-150 (having same internals with other SUPER OEM turntables) and their outrageous retail price! Right now I'm considering purchasing either Stanton ST/STR8 150, Dj Tech SL1300 MK6, or Audio Technica 1240. GC retails the Stantons for $599 before taxes while I know a mom & pop dj store who will sell them to me $450 before taxes...so I don't know... thanks for your input regarding the audio technica!
djvtyme85 10:17 PM - 30 September, 2012
Big Tone I'd personally pick up the Statons as a the only alternative to Technics. Audio Technia joints are just too flimsy to be taking out on the road IMO
BiggTone408 3:34 PM - 1 October, 2012
Djvtyme - I think I will go with Stanton! Nothing but good reviews with them. Plus I just got married and have enough with gift money to make that purchase :)
Johbremat 7:11 AM - 2 October, 2012
Using Stanton ST-150s for a while now. Have a couple of boys come around and say that they like them as much as their MKIIs *shrugs*

Would suggest the Stantons over the AT for:

- paint on the 150s is average, but should wear better than that reflective junk AT have going on
- flat edges mean great fits in square cavities (don't dig the rounded corners)
- includes cartridge. And how the hell is it I see so many Tech with Stanton headshells?!
- key lock is average, but better than none

Wouldn't call the USB connection a selling point as the DAC is likely average, though could be useful to some. Prefer the digital out on the Stantons (even though I don't use it).

Oh. But the AT comes with...a dust cover.
WarpNote 7:41 AM - 2 October, 2012
Quote:
And how the hell is it I see so many Tech with Stanton headshells?!
Stanton headshells are about half the price compared to Technics headshells...
DJMark 8:21 AM - 2 October, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
And how the hell is it I see so many Tech with Stanton headshells?!
Stanton headshells are about half the price compared to Technics headshells...

That plus they were (maybe still are) selling kits with pre-mounted cartridges on their headshells.
djvtyme85 9:31 PM - 5 October, 2012
Can't use keylock with Serato but if you like to use your vinyl sometimes I can see your point.
Quote:
Djvtyme - I think I will go with Stanton! Nothing but good reviews with them. Plus I just got married and have enough with gift money to make that purchase :)

Good choice
HighTopFade 1:52 AM - 1 September, 2013
Can anyone offer a long term review on this turntable? Looking to get a pair.
Asu 1:28 AM - 5 February, 2014
Get the stantons or better TT 1200s
blackavenger 8:32 AM - 6 February, 2014
Quote:

notice which decks he's using?

Watchwww.youtube.com
Macsfred 3:28 PM - 6 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

notice which decks he's using?

Watchwww.youtube.com

He is using the Audio Technica. I have a pair and im really happy with them. Several things are better then on my Technics, some are not.

My dislikes are

1) no easy way to mount the dicers
2) the "cheap" feeling of the tonearm, but i think that is the same one every super oem tt.

My likes are

1) Nice torq, way better than techs
2) Cool design
3) Removable lamp
4) Never skips
5) Nice pitch

There are some other features like reverse and 78rpm but i never use that. Over all i think its as close to a technics as you can get. And for a great price. I use mine playing out and keep my Techs at home.
blackavenger 4:18 PM - 6 February, 2014
Quote:
He is using the Audio Technica. I have a pair and im really happy with them. Several things are better then on my Technics, some are not.

Yeah, I know. I posted that in response to this.....

Quote:

I've been seeing lots of peeps using decks other than Technics. I think it is a good thing that DJs are finally recognizing that there are better alternatives out there.
Asu 5:23 PM - 6 February, 2014
Quote:
I've been seeing lots of peeps using decks other than Technics. I think it is a good thing that DJs are finally recognizing that there are better alternatives out there.

so you guys recommend the Audio Technica? was thinking of getting the ST 150s but if i can save some $$ since i'm getting a new 62 too,then that'd help
Asu 5:26 PM - 6 February, 2014
Do the Audio technica's come with everything pre-mounted?...i need something that's ready to go...never tried TT before only CDJs and controllers
blackavenger 7:04 PM - 6 February, 2014
If you think that having the key lock feature for cut vinyl would be important to you, go with the Stantons. If not, go with the Audio Technicas. They are virtually the same in every regard.....well, except for weight and price that is. The former being more in both instances.

The ATs will not disappoint when comparing them to the Stanton 150s.
MiguelL 7:34 PM - 6 February, 2014
Quote:
If you think that having the key lock feature for cut vinyl would be important to you, go with the Stantons. If not, go with the Audio Technicas. They are virtually the same in every regard.....well, except for weight and price that is. The former being more in both instances.

The ATs will not disappoint when comparing them to the Stanton 150s.

i agree, i have a buddy who has the Stanton 150's and i have the Audio Technica 1240, and they are almost exactly the same.

similarities:
- they both have high torque direct drive motors
- same tone arm

Differences
- Stanton is built more heavy duty (and weights alot more)
- stanton has (+/-) 8%, 25%, 50%, Audio technica 1240 has 10%, 20% 50%

great turntable, ive had mine for about a year and ive had no issues at all.
Asu 3:29 AM - 7 February, 2014
what's the actual weight of each? and which is more skip free or is that tone arm dependent?
blackavenger 6:08 AM - 7 February, 2014
Quote:
what's the actual weight of each? and which is more skip free or is that tone arm dependent?

Seriously, Asu, these are the types of questions that you can easily find out for yourself. Do people not do any personal research for their gear anymore? Not trying to be insulting, but come on, man? We already told you that the tonearms are exactly the same....that goes for ALL (every manufacturer of them) Super OEM decks. The exact weight of each in caparison? IDK, here...

Audio Technica:
Quote:
27.6 lb (12.5kg)

Stanton ST-150:
Quote:
36.15 lb (16.4kg)
Asu 7:52 PM - 7 February, 2014
didn't see the weight info on Stanton website under specs...didn't mean to sound that way^^^
blackavenger 8:46 PM - 7 February, 2014
Sorry, I was on the man-rag yeaterday....didn't mean to be so cross w' you.
Asu 9:24 PM - 7 February, 2014
NO WORRIES BRO...i know you get your period around this time ha ha ha #Roast owwww!
Juan Too Big Perez 7:46 AM - 20 December, 2017
Any updates on any of the decks mentioned?

Acouple days ago I got my brand new Technics 1210MK2 out of storage put them together used them for a few hours and I really want to store them again I’m an old school dj and I want to leave these decks to my daughter who is 1 year old so I’m looking at alternative
Asu 12:31 PM - 25 December, 2017
Quote:
Any updates on any of the decks mentioned?

Acouple days ago I got my brand new Technics 1210MK2 out of storage put them together used them for a few hours and I really want to store them again I’m an old school dj and I want to leave these decks to my daughter who is 1 year old so I’m looking at alternative

Those decks are available already, even dropped in price...you should also look into the VL 12 by denon which was build from the ground up by Denon. denondj.com
Mm3 3:21 AM - 26 December, 2017
I own a pair of 1240s. Great bang for the money. Been using mine for a couple years and really like them.... torquer than 12s...

Oh and I also own a pair of m5gs....