Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Successor to the NS7 / NS7 FX ? ?

DeeJay Galaga 7:34 PM - 6 April, 2012
Seratoans,

The NS7 has been out for a while, and IMO offers a great motorized experience. Just out of curiosity, what would you expect in a successor to the NS7? Taking into account that the successor to the NS7 must be motorized (NS6/NS4 disqualified).

My asks:

- Built in Drum Pad ( LIke Twitch, but really more like Maschine)
- Built in FX, no Bar to install
- Built in USB HUB (Less Cables to carry around)

Thoughts? Just wanted to see what folks out there are interested in . . .
Ragman 9:50 PM - 6 April, 2012
9" - 10" platter
DeeJay Galaga 11:11 PM - 6 April, 2012
Good one on the Large Platter (Regular 33 Record). Would it make the new form factor too large to carry around?
nik39 1:37 AM - 7 April, 2012
Bigger platters = even more heavy. Don't think that this is a good idea.
Ragman 7:36 AM - 7 April, 2012
I do ... Preferably on the V7 though. ;-)
Felonyruckus 9:27 AM - 7 April, 2012
Quote:

I agree, people are already complain about how heavy the NS7 is...where would you put that walking into a club, it won't fit in the DJ booth for sure!
Papa Midnight 10:36 PM - 7 April, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

I agree, people are already complain about how heavy the NS7 is...where would you put that walking into a club, it won't fit in the DJ booth for sure!

For me, the NS7 alone ain't that heavy. The NS7 in it's case though... :|
Ragman 2:51 AM - 8 April, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Some of us DJs are mobile jocks who migrated from using some seriously heavy t/t's, mixers and accompanying cases. I put my NS7 in a soft case and for me it's very light weight compared to my previous setup with SSL. I would jump all over an NS7 or V7s with a 9" platter. And I bet I'm not alone. I do doubt we'll ever see this as I believe those who feel as I do are a small minority and Numark follows the money masses.
Felonyruckus 12:34 PM - 8 April, 2012
Ragman,

I agree, there is a market but, just how large a market is the question and I don't think Numark can make enough money from a small segment.

I had my SSL setup as well and when the NS7 came out, I jumped onboard immediately. It was such a good "mix" of things. A little bit of "old school" with the motorized platters and the simplicity and portability of DVS. Hell I remember the old days with coffins and a 19" mixer that friggin thing was a serious coffin. We use to take that thing to gigs barefoot, up hill both ways in the snow. I really am getting old.

NS7 is awesome, when I bought the case it was necessary because I was hauling it around but, that damn hard case does make it heavy.

i agree though that 9" platters would be fun.
DJ dVO 4:43 PM - 9 April, 2012
9" platter? To replace the V7 that would make sense. But to replace the NS7, no thanks. So heavy already as is....most importantly, any bigger in size will have serious issue with fitting it in a DJ booth. I have issue with table real estate doing mobile as is let alone a bigger controller.

Numark will have two difficult choices to make in terms of retaining the motorized platter controllers: 1) Upgrade the V7 to compete head-on with the Denon SC3900; or 2) Upgrade the NS7 to remain leader in an all-in-one motorized platter controller. The latter makes more sense in a market that non other has. They are losing ground because of the weigh issue (note not so much of size as an issue). It will be very very interesting if Numark do come out with a replacement for the NS7. Me, personally, is getting the VCI-380 to address the weight issue.
hologram 5:35 PM - 9 April, 2012
ns7 is fine but I would like to see a V9 or even V12.
I would deal with the weight for a V12
Ragman 7:09 PM - 9 April, 2012
Quote:
9" platter? To replace the V7 that would make sense. But to replace the NS7, no thanks. So heavy already as is....most importantly, any bigger in size will have serious issue with fitting it in a DJ booth. I have issue with table real estate doing mobile as is let alone a bigger controller.

Numark will have two difficult choices to make in terms of retaining the motorized platter controllers: 1) Upgrade the V7 to compete head-on with the Denon SC3900; or 2) Upgrade the NS7 to remain leader in an all-in-one motorized platter controller. The latter makes more sense in a market that non other has. They are losing ground because of the weigh issue (note not so much of size as an issue). It will be very very interesting if Numark do come out with a replacement for the NS7. Me, personally, is getting the VCI-380 to address the weight issue.

I'm split on your comments. I agree that the V7 is the obvious choice for a larger platter size but disagree with the Numark NS7 losing ground because of the weight. If sales have slowed at this point it is probably due to the length of time that deck has been out just like the VCI-300 as they both were the first Itch controllers and are due for make-overs (ala VCI-380). ;-)
DJPrice_inMD 1:22 PM - 11 April, 2012
I am still trying to decide on a backup Itch controller, and I would love to just pick up what would be the NS7 successor. The size for me as mobile DJ is just right, and I am not so sure how hauling a "NS9" that would end up weighing 90+lbs and is substantially larger is a good idea. I do see the argument for a "V9" because the units can be stored separately.
dj_kirk_state 12:24 AM - 23 October, 2012
Sp6 buttons on controller. Larger platter. Chain link additional ns7 together. Compatible with mpc style midi controllers. Choice of white black or chrome face plate.