Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

External USB Video Cards

TGK 8:58 AM - 4 April, 2012
Hello,
Anyone checked external USB cards or Matrox DualHead2Go working with serato video.
Im planning buy this since my switchable graphics card is not supported by serato video.
phatbob 10:10 AM - 4 April, 2012
A few people have tried USB cards and they aren't up to the job.

The Matrox DualHead is not an external graphics card, it's powered by your existing GPU.
Code:E 8:32 PM - 4 April, 2012
Quote:
A few people have tried USB cards and they aren't up to the job.

The Matrox DualHead is not an external graphics card, it's powered by your existing GPU.

+1

neither options you have suggested will help you..
There is currently only 1 way to use an external video card. You need to have a Thunderbolt equipped MacBook Pro (and 15 and 17's have good video card so this really only applies to the 13 inch model). Then you need to buy this (www.sonnettech.com) Click on the expantion tab goto the bottom. Theres a external case for PCI cards. Put a video card in that.

Or buy a better computer, Thats all you got for options at this point in time.
TGK 10:52 AM - 5 April, 2012
Thanks guys. Appreciate your support. Well then new laptop will be only answer. coz I cannot move from windows environment.
Code:E 5:40 PM - 5 April, 2012
Buy a mac it is worth it.... and if you still need to use windows sometimes install boot camp and windows on it also... Thats what i did.
TGK 3:10 AM - 6 April, 2012
I choose windows, coz all of my external storage is NTFS . OS X having issues with read/write to NTFS and not enough USB in macbook pro. once u plug SL and X1 no where to plug external storage. When u compare OS X and Windows 7 booth stable for me. windows 7 never crash for me, since I only use serato,mixed in key and ableton live under windows 7.

Thanks for suggestion.
Code:E 1:32 AM - 7 April, 2012
so reformate your externals, its not hard. use a usb hub. its not about the os its about programs running on said os
chaka 5:57 PM - 7 April, 2012
Quote:
Thanks guys. Appreciate your support. Well then new laptop will be only answer. coz I cannot move from windows environment.

Agreed - they key is stablity - until Serato streamlines the code so the videos are handled much more efficient - you dont want to risk anything less that the latest/greatest

I dumped $2600 in a new machine just for this rickety $150 app because i want it to work - Hear that Serato? The main thing is, if you are going to start encoding any amount of files, you are not going to want to compromise the quality because you went cheap. Later on you will regret it and probably end up buying the new machine out of frustration anyway
DJ DisGrace 6:02 PM - 7 April, 2012
Quote:
until Serato streamlines the code

they just rewrote the code from the ground up, so it seems unlikely that any quality improvements or cpu streamlining will be happening anytime soon
TGK 8:41 AM - 8 April, 2012
Well serato video needs to be change to work Intel HD graphics cards as well without FX. then more people can use it for video mixing. locking application for high end graphics cards will not work. else they need to comeup with list of working mobile graphics cards AMD to NVIDA. else small web applicaion to check wheather serato video is compatible with selected laptop. I know that switchable graphics is nothing to do with serato video but switchable graphics technology built to most of the laptops and serato video will be in trouble.

I have identified HP Probook 4431s as my next laptop. it has dedicated AMD graphics card. hope it will work with serato video.
Code:E 10:35 AM - 8 April, 2012
Quote:
locking application for high end graphics cards will not work

They are not... An intel integrated graphics card in not really a Graphics Card... The requirements are not very high at all, Nvidia 8400 or betterATI 1650 or better, are 4 year old tech.... nothing crazy high end about them.

Quote:
else small web applicaion to check wheather serato video is compatible with selected laptop.

Now that a good idea.... Though we would hope people are smart enough to check 1st if there computer can handel the program. Or at least smart enough to ask. Again thought No sarcasm, I think thats a great idea.

There is no problem with switchable graphics in the hardware sense... ALL and i say ALL mac's run it, and dont have problems with it! Its all down to the software and drivers (and windows).
TGK 1:49 PM - 8 April, 2012
Well I got ur point Code:E but Macbook is not my choice. coz only two USB ports . I don't prefer usb hubs as you suggested.

Video-SL runs on Intel Graphics Card without FX. plan to run a serato video demo under new laptop soon.
DJ DisGrace 1:51 PM - 8 April, 2012
Quote:
Well I got ur point Code:E but Macbook is not my choice. coz only two USB ports . I don't prefer usb hubs as you suggested.

firewire is a much better choice for playing video files anyway

Quote:
Video-SL runs on Intel Graphics Card without FX. plan to run a serato video demo under new laptop soon.

it may run, but what kind of frame rates are you getting? There is much more to it than "does it play or not?"
TGK 2:16 AM - 21 April, 2012
After reading video-sl forum got the answer.

serato-video best performed under Mac/OS X
serato video-sl good performance under both Mac and PC

I'm screwed !!! in terms of unable to upgrade to newer versions of serato if i need to play videos. get a newer feature rich / stable scratch-live version.
DJMark 6:09 AM - 21 April, 2012
Quote:

The 17-inch model has three USB ports, as well as an Expresscard/34 slot.

I also favor the 17-inch models for video because the larger case and larger fans mean cooler long-term operation under load. Also of course for the 1920x1200 17-inch screen.

And what DisGrace said about Firewire for external hard drives is totally true.
phatbob 9:04 AM - 21 April, 2012
Quote:
After reading video-sl forum got the answer.

serato-video best performed under Mac/OS X
serato video-sl good performance under both Mac and PC

I'm screwed !!! in terms of unable to upgrade to newer versions of serato if i need to play videos. get a newer feature rich / stable scratch-live version.

VideoSL was a complete disaster on Windows, actually. Everything I'm reading actually leads me to believe that Serato Video performs much better on Windows.

The only issue is that people still want to run it with under-specced laptops, and now Serato won't let them.
ClubBusta 3:29 PM - 21 April, 2012
i been doing everything on mac setups for so long now that i look at a windows screen and feel like im having a nightmare
TGK 5:00 AM - 22 April, 2012
Quote:

The 17-inch model has three USB ports, as well as an Expresscard/34 slot.

I also favor the 17-inch models for video because the larger case and larger fans mean cooler long-term operation under load. Also of course for the 1920x1200 17-inch screen.

And what DisGrace said about Firewire for external hard drives is totally true.

DJMark 17" macbook is great , but in terms of mobility its big and keeping it on laptop stand is bit risky. same time its too expensive :)

Quote:

VideoSL was a complete disaster on Windows, actually. Everything I'm reading actually leads me to believe that Serato Video performs much better on Windows.

The only issue is that people still want to run it with under-specced laptops, and now Serato won't let them.

Well video-sl works perfect for me under windows. I process every video for mp4 and works
perfectly. but now seems to be serato-video works perfectly for OSX. I'm waiting for my new laptop HP probook 4431s to check serato-video.

yes we need to run it under minimum spec, as all cannot upgrade laptops when software release new versions. this is were serato needs to see the possibility. since I have two video-sl license [One for club/One for my use] this is really unfair.
skinnyguy 9:15 AM - 22 April, 2012
good luck with the hp.
phatbob 9:56 AM - 22 April, 2012
Quote:
yes we need to run it under minimum spec, as all cannot upgrade laptops when software release new versions. this is were serato needs to see the possibility. since I have two video-sl license [One for club/One for my use] this is really unfair.

It's a free upgrade, you don't have to use it if the old version is still working on your outdated hardware.

I can't play PS3 games on a PS2, is that unfair? No, it's not. My PS2 games still play fine on it. But if I want a better experience then I need suitable hardware.
Dj Nyce 5:15 PM - 22 April, 2012
i have a late 2011 17" mbp w/512 ssd and Hi-Res Anti Glare. it was a replacement for a 15". at first i was like damn this thing is huge #pause. but it's really not that big. it fits in a udg creator and a targus backpack. it's actually lighter than my 15" dell e6520 and on my crane stand, it doesn't even budge.

i still recommend the 15. only reason i got the 17 was because it was a hell of a deal (brand new for less than the price of a 15).
TGK 6:28 AM - 31 August, 2012
Guys I've got HP Probook 4421s which is having ATI Radeon HD 6370 1GB VGA card. problem sorted , every things works fine. this HP model doesn't have Intel video card for switchable graphics. played 3 hrs continuously without any issues. Video FX and Cross-fade mode works fine. This is my spec

HP Probook 4421s
Windows 7 pro 64bit,Core i7 2.8 Ghz,RAM 4 GB,Hard disk 750GB
ATI Radeon HD 6370 1GB
Hardware Unit SL 4
Scratch Live 2.4.2
Serato Video 1.0.1 [Frame rate shown 55-60 fps]