Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Serato Scratch Live Corrupting 720p HD Video from Promo Only

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL1
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
Deejay Steve 12:07 AM - 28 March, 2012
I receive videos weekly from Promo Only's download service and last week I got a video 'Train - Drive By' and as soon as Serato Scratch Live touches it, it becomes unusable in any software. I was told by Promo Only techs to contact you to see if you could find out why your software is corrupting this video.

Kind regards
Deejay Steve
4:12 PM, 28 Mar 2012
Discussion moved to Serato Video and Video-SL Help
Deejay Steve 4:13 AM - 29 March, 2012
Where has it been moved to as I can't find it please?
2:19 PM, 30 Mar 2012
Deejay Steve attached a file: Train - Drive By.mp4
Download· Permalink
Serato
Aroha 12:11 AM - 2 April, 2012
Hi Deejay Steve - is it only this file which is being corrupted? Are all your other .mp4 files behaving normally?

Can you please tell me which version of Scratch Live you are running, and also if you're using Video-SL or Serato Video (the update for Video-SL which came out last week).
Serato, Moderator
AnthonyS 12:34 AM - 2 April, 2012
Hey Deejay Steve,

I tested the file here in Scratch Live 2.2.0 and checked its format in movieinfobatch and all is fine.

Could you please detail which versions of software you are using.
Deejay Steve 2:34 PM - 2 April, 2012
I'm using version 1.9.2 (19222) as I have had big problems with the latest versions of Scratch Live.
I use MixEmergency to play videos but even with this not turned on it corrupts the video on load or scan in SSL.
The latest videos I've received are good to go with no problems. The file did play initially when I first downloaded it if that helps.

Just tried it again, made a copy, scanned it in (everything seems ok) then when I load it into SSL it's a broken file with zero length
Matt Red 4:20 PM - 2 April, 2012
I use 2.3.3 and occasionally get the same problem with files from promo only. They play fine outside of SL but when importing and analyzing them they come up as corrupt. Probably had about 3 in the last 6 months.
I just run them through handbreak and then SL seems to be fine with them.

As it happens I have just checked and Train - Drive By was fine my end

Now I know someone else has had a problem I will keep an eye out for which files it happens too
Matt
Nightlife Entertainment 4:45 PM - 2 April, 2012
How do you get 720p videos from PO? I htought theirs were all 480p?
Deejay Steve 4:48 PM - 2 April, 2012
Cheers Matt Red, I would re encode them in Handbrake but as it's in HD and I haven't got settings for that it makes it harder to do that and keep the visuals as bright as they are plus I wouldn't know if they were stable in SSL
Deejay Steve 4:49 PM - 2 April, 2012
All videos from the PO download service are now in 720p HD and look stunning and have been since Feb 2012. Check it out m8, the difference is CLEAR!!
Nightlife Entertainment 4:55 PM - 2 April, 2012
sweet. I read their FAQ's yesterday and they said they weer all in standard format. Was kinda disappointed. Not anymore!
Matt Red 4:55 PM - 2 April, 2012
you have to select HD 720 from the setting menu.

They do look great. Not sure if any of the HD ones have corrupted but certainly some of my promo only files have in the past
Deejay Steve 5:15 PM - 2 April, 2012
I have had 2 problems with SSL corrupting HD files, 1 corrected itself after I re-downloaded it and the other one is in this thread. No problem mixing with 720p at all with an i7 quad core MacBook. David at Promo Only UK is very helpful, highly recommend if you got any questions.
Serato
Aroha 11:26 PM - 2 April, 2012
At any stage dd you use Scratch Live 2.3.1? There was an issue which some users were experiencing with .mp4 files being corrupted.

However, the file you've attached plays fine for us here in Scratch Live versions 2.4.1. and also 1.9.2.

Have you tried re-downloading this same file?
PhoenixUK 1:02 AM - 3 April, 2012
I get the same, plays fine the first time, then marked as corrupt after you unload it, and won't play again.

If you re-download the video file, you have to re-create the v2 file before you can play it again .. once ! ;)
Deejay Steve 3:12 AM - 3 April, 2012
The file I have sent you is the second one I've downloaded from PO. Strange how it's not being corrupted in your version of 1.9.2.
I have tried later versions of Scratch Live but I had crashes. I did at one point move to version 2.2 but then decided to go back to a recommended stable version after a couple of nightmares.

Interesting idea about recreating the V2 file, how do I do that?
Serato, Moderator
AnthonyS 2:54 AM - 5 April, 2012
Hi Deejay Steve,

After a couple of plays that file did indeed get corrupted. Im not 100% sure why ?????

I did see a couple of digital artifact's at one point. So, I downloaded the file myself from Promo Only and it seemed to work for me.

Are there any other files that are causing issues ?
Deejay Steve 3:00 AM - 5 April, 2012
At the moment all my other files are working fine. Just downloaded this weeks and everything seems ok. Just that file is causing me issue
Serato, Moderator
AnthonyS 10:57 PM - 11 April, 2012
Hi Deejay Steve,

All I can think is that it was a dubious download or a possible digital artefact in the video file.

If all your other downloads from Promo Only are working well then we will just leave this as a rogue clip.

let me know if you have any further questions regarding Serato Video. If not I will close this thread as fixed.

Anthony
Deejay Steve 3:09 AM - 12 April, 2012
Please don't close this yet as it is not resolved. I will re-download the clip tomorrow and let you know if it is sorted as I have already downloaded it twice.

Stephen
Deejay Steve 3:48 AM - 12 April, 2012
Just downloaded the file again and instantly it corrupted in SSL so this is so NOT resolved. I don't understand why it's happening. Are you sure the file you have downloaded again won't corrupt?
Is there a way of sending me the file you have which you say is OK cause I can guarantee my software will corrupt it.
Deejay Steve 3:56 AM - 12 April, 2012
Just found a file then deleted it and the video now plays for the first time in weeks. I have attached the tmp file I had found for you to take a look at. Would this be why my video was being corrupted by SSL?

Apologies for not putting this in previous windows as I don't know how to
Serato, Moderator
AnthonyS 4:52 AM - 12 April, 2012
Hi Deejay Steve,

I can't see any file attached. Sure I will take a look at the .tmp file.

Can you give me more detail as to the process you took and how the .tmp file was created ?
Deejay Steve 1:47 PM - 12 April, 2012
Every time I upload the file I get an error message on this forum can you give me an email address and I'll send it to you that way. I have no idea how the .tmp file was created but I believe it was created in SSL.
Serato, Moderator
AnthonyS 11:38 PM - 17 April, 2012
Hi Deejay Steve,

I received your email and the file Train - Drive By.mp4.tmp

This is not compatible with Scratch Live. Scratch Live is NOT corrupting the file.

As the file has a .tmp file extension this is a 'temporary' file extension either created by your Web Browser or another program.

You could manually remove .tmp and the file may play fine.
Deejay Steve 3:42 AM - 19 April, 2012
Thanks Anthony, I deleted the .tmp file manually and the file has not caused any other problems so far so looks like it may be the problem. Did you find the same thing when the file failed when you tested it?
Any how it's looks like this is now resolved
Serato, Moderator
AnthonyS 11:27 PM - 22 April, 2012
Hi Deejay Steve,

Yes, a file with .tmp is a temporary file extension and not necessarily a completed container.

It may have been created from your browser download.

Anyhow, glad it's working for you now. I will close this thread as fixed.

Anthony