DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Making mix cds with Serato

pmostowfi 9:15 AM - 12 December, 2007
I want to make mix cds, however, I'm looking for a cheaper route than buying a $300-$400 cd recorder.

I was thinking about this: www.zzounds.com

Does anyone think it would work well?
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:35 PM - 12 December, 2007
I'm going to move this thread to the djing discussions section as it is not directly Scratch LIVE related.
De LA 5:42 PM - 12 December, 2007
audacity.sourceforge.net

Its free and works well.
djchope 4:36 AM - 13 December, 2007
yep, audacity is not that bad
and buy these puppies
www.radioshack.com

thats only if you have 3 channels or more, if you dont well i can give you any help on that
DJ'Que 5:00 AM - 13 December, 2007
I just made me ten mixed cds to give away at the club tonight,I used a program called Smart PC Recorder and it saves it as mp3,I Have a mixer that has usb connection so it goes from my mixer to my Cpu and I burn it to cd either mp3 or audio for peoples that dont have mp3 players yet.
pmostowfi 3:38 AM - 15 December, 2007
how do i do the connections to my computer if I want to use audacity???
a DJ 5:15 AM - 15 December, 2007
When you burn mix cds/demo cds, do you split the tracks?
De LA 7:55 PM - 15 December, 2007
run a 1/4 out of your mic jack into an master out/booth/session out rca from your mixer
Logisticalstyles 8:52 PM - 15 December, 2007
I use Samplitude to split the tracks on my CDs.
pmostowfi 12:10 PM - 16 December, 2007
thanks guys. I got it going and was able to make my mix cd!!

here's a question for the real well tho.

When I first started djing I had to JBL EON 15 G2 speakers with a Pioneer DJM-3000 mixer that I got second hand. I felt like I had so much power!! Two years later tho, I have this consistent gig at a place downtown of where I live and now I have 5 of those speakers instead of 2 and I feel like the power isn't there at all. My speakers keep peaking and one of them recently blew out. I've tried to everything to see what the problem is...however a friend of mine suggested that maybe its my mixer...its might be too old. What do you guys think??
AMF 4:50 PM - 16 December, 2007
This kinda depends on the size of the venue. I use the G2 eons myself, and they are perfect for all of my mobile gigs. Altho I will be adding a sub to this setup soon.

It sounds to me that you have out-grown this setup. So it's time to do some research to find something better!
pmostowfi 9:16 AM - 25 January, 2008
What do you mean I've outgrown my setup? I have 5 jbl speakers, 2 pioneer 800 cd turntables and a pioneer-3000 mixer. It's not a bad setup no? Why should I have these problems??
dj_elite 10:30 PM - 25 January, 2008
nobodys saying you have a bad set up and its probably not your mixer.

first thing i'd recommend is a... SUBWOOFERS.

5 jbl eons is retarded. unless you really need to spread them out and they're on the floor, there's no reason for that. you're much better off running two with two decent 18" subs, or even four subs. get them really high off the ground and cross them over. no JBL eon subs either, those blow.