Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

mkv file support

Tony T Tiger 10:22 PM - 11 March, 2012
I have been converting many mkv files to mp4. It is time consuming and big pain in the rear.
Hoping desperately that Serato will soon supprot mkv files.
DJMark 10:54 PM - 11 March, 2012
Where are these mkv files coming from?
popnwave 11:12 PM - 11 March, 2012
ahh mkv the preferred version of less than legit rippers around the world. seeing as they are mostly used for movies ripped from things like blu-ray i wouldn't hold me breath. it's a basic container format and the codecs used can vary widely.
djnak 11:56 PM - 11 March, 2012
Quote:
Where are these mkv files coming from?

Quote:
ahh mkv the preferred version of less than legit rippers around the world.

WHAT I thought the bootleg.com/ blog spot was 100% legit
lol
Rebelguy 1:00 AM - 12 March, 2012
Maybe try subscribing to a video pool that supplies mp4s might be better.
skinnyguy 2:56 AM - 12 March, 2012
Is 3gp even still supported?
DJ Unique 3:33 AM - 12 March, 2012
HaHaHa...
tomatoslice 4:33 AM - 12 March, 2012
Quote:
... It is time consuming and big pain in the rear.

welcome to the world video djing.
pueblofunky 1:17 PM - 2 November, 2014
Is MKV now supported in Serato Video 1.1?

MKV container supports WAV and FLAC (de.wikipedia.org).

MP4 does not (de.wikipedia.org).

I want to rip a lot of music DVD's into my PC and use Serato Video - and I want to use the best possible (audio) quality (maybe I hear not difference but I want to archive the best quality - also for further usage!).

I'm using VSO Video Converter to rip the DVD's.

When I use MP4 only AAC (lossy) will be used. I've requested VSO to support ALAC (Apple lossless) too.

However, VSO supports WAV + FLAC (lossless) in MK4 container.

Finally WAV + FLAC support by Serato Video would be great to have the best audio quality in the club (I'm playing videos to 3000 - 4000 people in a club).

THANKS!
popnwave 4:57 PM - 2 November, 2014
MKV is by and large a pirate friendly format. They aren't going to make it -that- easy for folks to download MKVs off torrents and other sites for use in their software.

For now you are best off using MP4 and maintaining compatibility.
DJMark 5:16 PM - 2 November, 2014
You can make MP4's with ALAC audio streams. I did a bunch like that five years ago and they worked fine.
pueblofunky 5:52 PM - 2 November, 2014
Thanks DJMark. MP4 and ALAC is that what I would prefer. But currently VSO Video Converter doesn't support ALAC in MP4. I made a feature request. Hopfefully I will get a reply next week.

Which video converter would you recommend or are you using?

I also have Wondershare - but it creates 768x576 from a 720x576 DVD (and only max 192 kbps?).

Acrok Video converter shows only one track from 30 from a DVD (but works best with BR). :-(

I want to avoid ripping them 2 or 3 times. ~30 music DVDs are waiting. ;-)

Thanks
pueblofunky 6:39 PM - 2 November, 2014
Also just tried AnyMP4 DVD Toolkit. When I rip into MP4 only AC3 or AAC - both max. to 192kbps.

Does anyone know a DVD into MP4, MPEG-4 ripper which supports lossless - ALAC (or other) - audio tracks?

I've looked, downloaded and tested a lot - but no chance.

So please Serato - support MKV. The most rippers support lossless audio in this container.

THANKS!
DJMark 7:17 PM - 2 November, 2014
I used Apple's "Compressor" to make MP4 files with ALAC soundtracks. It may also be possible with MPEG Streamclip.
pueblofunky 7:47 PM - 2 November, 2014
Thanks DJ Mark. OK I forgot - I have Windows, not Apple.

btw: File extension MP4 is only the container which contains MPEG-4 (and audio).