DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Aside from a LAPTOP, or DEDICATED Audio CD recorder....

DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:29 PM - 11 March, 2012
What portable (or non-portable), devices do you guys use to record?

I'm talking a direct LINE-IN, not via MIC.
popnwave 7:39 PM - 11 March, 2012
I'd just use something simple like a TASCAM solid state recorder.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:01 PM - 11 March, 2012
Quote:

LInk?
phatbob 8:39 PM - 11 March, 2012
I've used the Edirol R-09 and the M-Audio Microtack II. They were both good, I think I'd plump for the M-Audio if I was buying as it is a little smaller.
popnwave 11:51 PM - 11 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

LInk?

www.guitarcenter.com

I am sure there are cheaper options.. Mulitrack recorders just pop in my head since they will do it as a nice long WAV session. You can drop an SD card in there for whatever space you need.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:55 PM - 11 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

LInk?

www.guitarcenter.com

I am sure there are cheaper options.. Mulitrack recorders just pop in my head since they will do it as a nice long WAV session. You can drop an SD card in there for whatever space you need.

YO! This may be what I need....

Thank you sir.
REDSELECTER 12:01 AM - 12 March, 2012
Xoom has some nice and reasonably priced ones as well

Get one that will do 4 tracks - 2 from line in and 2 from the mics, that way you can record your set plus a little crowd noise, and mix them back over each other when you're done if you want some of the ambience
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:06 AM - 12 March, 2012
Quote:
Xoom has some nice and reasonably priced ones as well

Get one that will do 4 tracks - 2 from line in and 2 from the mics, that way you can record your set plus a little crowd noise, and mix them back over each other when you're done if you want some of the ambience

Link?
REDSELECTER 12:12 AM - 12 March, 2012
sorry its zoom

www.samsontech.com
the_black_one 12:15 AM - 12 March, 2012
^^^ thats legit
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:29 AM - 12 March, 2012
Quote:
sorry its zoom

www.samsontech.com

Oh, y'all are on TIME.....

Good lookin....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:29 AM - 12 March, 2012
Quote:
^^^ thats legit

Yessir...
dj_soo 12:31 AM - 12 March, 2012
you have an SL3? You can record direct in the serato software (including vinyl or any audio source).
djaction 12:34 AM - 12 March, 2012
does anyone make a handheld device like this for VIDEO? i.e. a mini dvr with hdmi in..
REDSELECTER 12:50 AM - 12 March, 2012
Quote:
does anyone make a handheld device like this for VIDEO? i.e. a mini dvr with hdmi in..

yes they do - more expensive obviously

www.bhphotovideo.com
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:59 AM - 12 March, 2012
Quote:
you have an SL3? You can record direct in the serato software (including vinyl or any audio source).

DUDE, "Aside from a LAPTOP"......

And you're one of the smarter ones man....you did me right with that whole 1/4 to XLR issue I had before with the small footprint mixing board...

Don't let me down (NM).
DJ_X_Trodinaire 1:09 AM - 12 March, 2012
I use an Olympus. LS 10
dj_soo 1:31 AM - 12 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

And you're one of the smarter ones man....you did me right with that whole 1/4 to XLR issue I had before with the small footprint mixing board...

Don't let me down (NM).

just making sure you knew that you could record in the SL3 (a lot of people don't know this)
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:31 AM - 12 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Don't let me down (NM).

just making sure you knew that you could record in the SL3 (a lot of people don't know this)

***BLANK STARE****

C'mon man....lol...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:34 AM - 12 March, 2012
I choose to avoid a laptop as I want the least amount of device hops possible.

Source + SL3 + Laptop

vs

Source + Device...

Feel me?

Like for archiving, and stuff.
the_black_one 1:35 AM - 12 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Don't let me down (NM).

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:46 AM - 12 March, 2012
lol...
dj_soo 1:56 AM - 12 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Don't let me down (NM).

Watchwww.youtube.com

there are a ton of "help, i have an SL3 - how do i record a mix in logic/audacity/protools threads on here :P

for archiving, I still think the SL3/laptop is a pretty good route to go since you're using the Rane phono preamps which are pretty high quality.

So with a hardware device, you're still going source -> preamp -> device and then if you want a digital archive - which you will for any digital recorder - you're still transferring over to your laptop.

That said, my buddies use this tascam.com generally for live sets - there's another one out there that uses USB thumb drives for storage rather than SD disks, but the model escapes me right now...
dj_soo 2:08 AM - 12 March, 2012
i'm of course talking about archiving vinyl... which i'm pretty sure that's what you want to be archiving.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:13 AM - 12 March, 2012
Quote:

for archiving, I still think the SL3/laptop is a pretty good route to go since you're using the Rane phono preamps which are pretty high quality.

So with a hardware device, you're still going source -> preamp -> device and then if you want a digital archive - which you will for any digital recorder - you're still transferring over to your laptop.

See, I've GOT SL3, but why use that if I've got the Rane 56s?

I want the warm Analogue sound (of the mixer), but fed directly into a device...

Normally, I'd used my TDK dedicated CD burner, but that's cumbersome now, but DID give me my ultimate goal of creating a Hardcopy backup of all my work.

Then I'd convert the CD's to MP3's, and would have a backup to go to if (and when), a better technology arrives and I can just pop in the CD and have whatever convert from there again if necessary.

I don't want to record directly into a laptop because you have to deal with a few levels of AD converters, recording software, USB latency, and just the environment of a laptop all by itself.

I'd rather use a device that's MADE for doing what I need..laptops have too many variables...

Mac or PC :-)
dj_soo 3:45 AM - 12 March, 2012
Quote:
See, I've GOT SL3, but why use that if I've got the Rane 56s?

because the SL3 has the exact same phono pre-amps as the 56 (might be even better) so you can exclude the mixer from the chain and it'll still sound the same. In fact, there's probably less degradation to the signal because that's one less volume/gain chain to go through than if you record directly into your SL3.

What you're asking for right now is going turntable -> 56 -> recorder -> CD and then export those files to the laptop.

With the SL3, you can go Turntable -> SL3 -> Laptop and then if you want to have a hard copy, then burn your archived files to CD. It's actually a more direct signal path to an audio recording and you don't lose the analog sound because the SL3 sports a pair of analog phono preamps (this is not the case with the SL1 however).

Your issue with gains - even with a recorder and the 56, you still need to deal with levels and gain structure - first on the 56, and then on the recorder.

With the SL3 path, you have one gain to adjust within the Scratchlive software and that's it. You don't need a 3rd party piece of software, and USB latency isn't an issue since you're just recording for archiving purposes - latency only matters for manipulating the audio in realtime.

Personally, I also wouldn't worry too much about laptop/computer as a problematic platform considering that virtually every studio these days have gone to computers for all their recording save for a few novelty acts that still demand analog.

If fidelity a high concern, you can always record in 24-bit, but keep in mind, you'd have to convert your files to 16-bit audio in order for serato to play (this would still be the case if your digital recorder supported 24-bit).

To be honest, I think things like needle choice, turntable noise, and the shape of your vinyl is going to have more of an impact on the sound quality of your rips rather than whether you choose to record onto a computer or if you use a hardware recorder...
reggae delgado 4:05 AM - 12 March, 2012
Quote:
That said, my buddies use this tascam.com generally for live sets - there's another one out there that uses USB thumb drives for storage rather than SD disks, but the model escapes me right now...

I use the M Audio micro-track II and swear by it. Sound quality is good, battery life is good, and it has a lot of options to run audio in (including 1/4 inch).
That being said, the tascam thing above looks pretty nice and has a pretty good price, fewer input options though.
Let us know what you pick & how you like it. I think far too few DJs record their sets when playing out. It's also a great way to get some cool drops when you perform with folks or celebs drop by the club.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:05 AM - 12 March, 2012
Quote:

What you're asking for right now is going turntable -> 56 -> recorder -> CD and then export those files to the laptop.

With the SL3, you can go Turntable -> SL3 -> Laptop and then if you want to have a hard copy, then burn your archived files to CD. It's actually a more direct signal path to an audio recording and you don't lose the analog sound because the SL3 sports a pair of analog phono preamps (this is not the case with the SL1 however).

****GEEK DJ TALK - I LOVE IT****

Yes, I'm actually going Turntable -> 56s -> CD Recorder to CD, and yes, I do have to deal with the levels on both the 56s and CD burner...

But I have a problem going SL3 (which IS a great PREAMP), and I USED to try that, BUT the recordings weren't what I was used to hearing.

See, there is a certain "Sound" that's achieved when you play music through the RANE 56s, versus archiving through the SL3. I don't know why it's "different", but in order to emulate a vinyl pressing I have "In hand", I have to record it via the same interface that I play...which I find crazy.

I've gone the dedicated needle choice, etc...but the best sound that I've got is via the route that I'm doing..
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:08 AM - 12 March, 2012
Quote:
I think far too few DJs record their sets when playing out. It's also a great way to get some cool drops when you perform with folks or celebs drop by the club.

Yep, that's part of the Master Plan. Gotta be ready for Drops,grinding, etc...

You never know...
dj_soo 4:43 AM - 12 March, 2012
could even be the coloring of the recorder - but you can also go 56 -> SL3 and still record directly in scratchlive - see if that gets you the results you want and maybe you don't have to drop some cash on a digital recorder...

although having a portable recorder for drops would be dope...
dj_soo 4:44 AM - 12 March, 2012
Quote:
****GEEK DJ TALK - I LOVE IT****

anyone who takes this shit seriously is going to be a geek at heart :P
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:08 AM - 12 March, 2012
Quote:
could even be the coloring of the recorder - but you can also go 56 -> SL3 and still record directly in scratchlive - see if that gets you the results you want and maybe you don't have to drop some cash on a digital recorder...

although having a portable recorder for drops would be dope...

I don't mind dropping the cash, as they seem pretty reasonable. Plus I now have to get into the whole "get a drop" game...***sigh***

Did you know that obtaining RECORDABLE Audio CD's (designed to work with standalone Audio CD recorders, except Tascam which can use ANY CD-R, not just Audio), is almost impossible now?

My boy mentioned it to me, and I was like "Nah"...but I hadn't bought any since my first big wave of burning vinyl, and don't you know, I can't get them jawns as easily has I used to?

So, regardless, I have to start looking at other technologies...(i.e. digital recorder)...

Can't be caught out there...
Papa Midnight 6:30 AM - 12 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
sorry its zoom

www.samsontech.com

Good lookin....

Oh, damn, that's a nice lookin' device right there. Bookmarked.
nativespinner 2:59 PM - 12 March, 2012
I have an old Yamaha HD-CDR that records up to 30 hours continous 16 bit 44k CD quality and burns to cd so you can archive or live record club or dj sessions. A bit bulky but it does the trick and is a standalone audio component. I bought it in 2004.
DJ Guayo 3:20 PM - 12 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
sorry its zoom

www.samsontech.com

Good lookin....

i've been eyeing that mofo for while. seen some video guys use it at weddings. they get all audio from the lapel mics/ambience from the zoom h4n. thing is a best. 4 audio inputs available.
Logisticalstyles 8:25 PM - 12 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Did you know that obtaining RECORDABLE Audio CD's (designed to work with standalone Audio CD recorders, except Tascam which can use ANY CD-R, not just Audio), is almost impossible now?

My boy mentioned it to me, and I was like "Nah"...but I hadn't bought any since my first big wave of burning vinyl, and don't you know, I can't get them jawns as easily has I used to?

Interesting, I have a standalone CD recorder that I bought back in 2001 but a few years ago I stopped being able to finalize the CDs. I just figured the recordeer died, but maybe I've just been using the wrong discs.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:36 PM - 12 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Interesting, I have a standalone CD recorder that I bought back in 2001 but a few years ago I stopped being able to finalize the CDs. I just figured the recordeer died, but maybe I've just been using the wrong discs.

What brand is it? I can bet that's the problem. Mine is a TDK, and I've used ALL TYPES of Audio CD's, but it works BEST with ....TDK Audio-R CD's.

I believe the TASCAM Dedicated Burners can use ANY CD-R, so that makes life easy.
Logisticalstyles 8:50 PM - 12 March, 2012
It's a TEAC (yeah I know it's OLD). It goes through the motions like it's recording and then after it finalizes I get an unreadable disc. When you look at the disc's surface you can see that something was burned on it but it just won't play. Now I have to go out and experiment with different kinds of CDRs.
Dj Shamann 10:09 PM - 12 March, 2012
I use a Roland multitrack that's far too big but great when you want to capture everything (crowd mics, MC mic and mixer signal), but I have used the Zoom and I swear by it. I actually own the Zoom video cam version because of the stereo pair mic but it only has a 1/8 in as opposed to the XLR of the H4N
Papa Midnight 12:51 AM - 13 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
sorry its zoom

www.samsontech.com

Good lookin....

i've been eyeing that mofo for while. seen some video guys use it at weddings. they get all audio from the lapel mics/ambience from the zoom h4n. thing is a best. 4 audio inputs available.

Guitar Center has them I just learned. $299 though. Ouch!
DJ Val-BKNY11203 3:31 AM - 13 March, 2012
I bought one of these last year on sale for $79.

www.musiciansfriend.com
DJ Guayo 1:40 PM - 13 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
sorry its zoom

www.samsontech.com

Good lookin....

Guitar Center has them I just learned. $299 though. Ouch!

that's why i'm still eyeing that mofo... lol...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:30 PM - 20 April, 2012
BOOM! There it is...

www.djjohnnym.com
DJ_X_Trodinaire 6:45 PM - 20 April, 2012
Nice!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:47 PM - 20 April, 2012
Quote:
Nice!

YEAH YO! Expect some DJJOHNNYM Holograms soon!
CMOS 6:51 PM - 20 April, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Nice!

Be careful with them holograms, they got Tupac again yesterday.

i40.tinypic.com
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:55 PM - 20 April, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Nice!

Be careful with them holograms, they got Tupac again yesterday.

i40.tinypic.com

LOL!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:35 AM - 11 July, 2012
Quote:
BOOM! There it is...

www.djjohnnym.com

YO! This thing is the TRUTH, I've burned over 250 jawns with this, and it even has a little "Pre-Record" setting that grabs the 1st 2 seconds of whatever you're recording, so you don't miss anything...

Man look...

THIS is the bizznizz...forreals...
djaction 1:54 PM - 11 July, 2012
huh?? Why don't you just use serato's built in recording feature? It adds 0 lag/overhead on a Mac. Maybe your PC can't handle it?
Papa Midnight 2:58 PM - 11 July, 2012
Quote:
huh?? Why don't you just use serato's built in recording feature? It adds 0 lag/overhead on a Mac. Maybe your PC can't handle it?

Here we go...
int.na.tl
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:16 PM - 11 July, 2012
Quote:

Smartazz...

No, I wanted something that was portable so I could eventually do Drops....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:17 PM - 11 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Here we go...
int.na.tl

lol naw...

I ain't that easily baited...
djaction 5:25 PM - 11 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Smartazz...

why does it need to be portable? and for recording drops why wouldn't you use your smartphone?

or are you still on this joint:

userpages.umbc.edu
djaction 5:25 PM - 11 July, 2012
also speaking of specs most smartphones have more than enough specs to handle running serato (1GHZ+processors, 1-2GB ram etc) lol
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:18 PM - 11 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Smartazz...

why does it need to be portable? and for recording drops why wouldn't you use your smartphone?

userpages.umbc.edu

Why are you concerned about the equipment I use?

I want it to be portable because....

I WANT IT TO BE PORTABLE...

If you want to use your "Smartphone" go ahead, but I'm a Professional, so I guess that would be to be expected of you.
sixxx 8:22 PM - 11 July, 2012
I have an iPad so I'm thinking of getting something like this.

www.americanmusical.com

Come to think of it, it's like using your smartphone so Action is really not that far off.
sixxx 8:43 PM - 11 July, 2012
But Johnny did say he wants something professional AND portable.

Here you go Johnny. More to what you're used to.

www.zzounds.com
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:50 PM - 11 July, 2012
Quote:
But Johnny did say he wants something professional AND portable.

Here you go Johnny. More to what you're used to.

www.zzounds.com

Ummm....you're a day late, and a dollar short...

www.djjohnnym.com
sixxx 9:08 PM - 11 July, 2012
What did I tell ya... hahaha
sixxx 9:08 PM - 11 July, 2012
But seriously, when you get the iPhone (If that becomes your first Mac product), you should use that. It will record at high quality and be very portable.
reggae delgado 9:44 PM - 11 July, 2012
Whoa feels weird to have Johnny's back, but when it comes to recording, if you want quality, you need to use pro equipment. Seriously! $150 is totally worth it.
Not that recording through serato is not an option but if you really think that it adds 0 lag to be reading & writing a HD and streaming audio in and out at the same time, then I suggest you try breathing in and out at the same time. Trust me, you have a lot more ram & ghz than your computer. Not saying that it's guaranteed to mess up, but why risk it? And if you DJ with another DJ, why not be able to capture their set too? And...... (gasp).... what if you're using vinyl??!?!??!?!??!?!
As far as recording drops & interviews, you COULD use your iphone, but if you knew what was going to happen why WOULDN'T you use pro equipment & get a pro result? Watch TV, journalists are not recording interviews on their phones. Go to a live show, what are the engineers using? And as an artist, who are you going to take seriously, the guy who says can I interview you & breaks out a phone or the guy who has a professional recorder? (As a DJ, who do you take seriously, the guy who says he wants to dj with you and has pro equipment or the guy who has a $200 controller available at any best buy?).
The same argument could be used for cameras... my iPhone has a relatively dope camera but there's a reason pros use other equipment.
(Funny story sorta related.... I was interviewing a DJ for my blog & another DJ asked me if we minded if he recorded too. He busted out his phone & we were both recording... until his phone rang....)
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:57 PM - 11 July, 2012
Quote:
Whoa feels weird to have Johnny's back, but when it comes to recording, if you want quality, you need to use pro equipment. Seriously! $150 is totally worth it.
Not that recording through serato is not an option but if you really think that it adds 0 lag to be reading & writing a HD and streaming audio in and out at the same time, then I suggest you try breathing in and out at the same time. Trust me, you have a lot more ram & ghz than your computer. Not saying that it's guaranteed to mess up, but why risk it? And if you DJ with another DJ, why not be able to capture their set too? And...... (gasp).... what if you're using vinyl??!?!??!?!??!?!
As far as recording drops & interviews, you COULD use your iphone, but if you knew what was going to happen why WOULDN'T you use pro equipment & get a pro result? Watch TV, journalists are not recording interviews on their phones. Go to a live show, what are the engineers using? And as an artist, who are you going to take seriously, the guy who says can I interview you & breaks out a phone or the guy who has a professional recorder? (As a DJ, who do you take seriously, the guy who says he wants to dj with you and has pro equipment or the guy who has a $200 controller available at any best buy?).
The same argument could be used for cameras... my iPhone has a relatively dope camera but there's a reason pros use other equipment.
(Funny story sorta related.... I was interviewing a DJ for my blog & another DJ asked me if we minded if he recorded too. He busted out his phone & we were both recording... until his phone rang....)

lol @ feeling "weird" having my back....

I've always used what I considered "Professional" equipment, for a "Professional" sound...

You'll see that tape deck is NO JOKE, and I have another TASCAM just like it, (older model).

It was REAL important for me to record 2 tapes at the same time (Dual Record), so I could have a "Master" copy, and a copy that was my "Work" copy where I made dubs, etc from.

Don't sleep on da kid...
DJ Dub Cowboy 11:33 PM - 11 July, 2012
what about a micro PC, or just a dedicated PC for recording? I know you want it to be portable, but a PC with a decent audio interface would be ideal if you are archiving.

Record, edit, burn.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:43 PM - 11 July, 2012
A PC dedicated to recording is too much overkill for what I need. This device is perfect.
housekeys 11:51 PM - 11 July, 2012
I remember reading this thread back when you created it, I too was in the market for an audio recorder. I decided to purchase the zoom h4n and have been loving it since.

The tascam you purchased looks like a great alternative too, especially for the price.
DJ DisGrace 11:57 PM - 11 July, 2012
Quote:
And if you DJ with another DJ, why not be able to capture their set too? And...... (gasp).... what if you're using vinyl??!?!??!?!??!?!

as long as everyone is using the same mixer it will record all of this
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:57 PM - 11 July, 2012
This is the BEST investment I've made since 1200's, and Serato....
pdidy 11:58 PM - 11 July, 2012
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3, ya mind posting some audio of the recorder in use. I could maybe use something like that.
housekeys 11:59 PM - 11 July, 2012
^^^ +1, well said.
DJ DisGrace 12:00 AM - 12 July, 2012
Quote:
Go to a live show, what are the engineers using?

+1

When I had easy access to it, I used this for recording my sets
www.roland.com

4 tracks, line or mic input, and amazing sound quality. I could record 2 channels from the mixer, and at the same time use 2 condenser mics in the venue to record the crowd noise and ambience. Made for some nice mixdowns with that "live" feel
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:20 AM - 12 July, 2012
Quote:
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3, ya mind posting some audio of the recorder in use. I could maybe use something like that.

Hmmm, I've been archiving vinyl so SOME may construe it to say I'm sharing mp3's but I"ll post up a chopped one... :-)

Stand by..
reggae delgado 12:20 AM - 12 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
And if you DJ with another DJ, why not be able to capture their set too? And...... (gasp).... what if you're using vinyl??!?!??!?!??!?!

I'm referring to using the serato record feature, so if you switch computers then it would not record the other dj....
reggae delgado 12:22 AM - 12 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Go to a live show, what are the engineers using?

+1

When I had easy access to it, I used this for recording my sets
www.roland.com

4 tracks, line or mic input, and amazing sound quality. I could record 2 channels from the mixer, and at the same time use 2 condenser mics in the venue to record the crowd noise and ambience. Made for some nice mixdowns with that "live" feel

+100 It is REALLY awesome to have a live mix that captures the crowd noise! I really like recording using a device like that roland straight out from the mixer when the mix man (not that everyone has one) runs the mix through a sound board, that way the voice is much lower in the mix & right there with the crowd noise....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:32 AM - 12 July, 2012
Here you go

www.djjohnnym.com
DJ DisGrace 12:35 AM - 12 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm referring to using the serato record feature, so if you switch computers then it would not record the other dj....

If the second computer is on his own SL box, running into the 57 (still hooked up to 57), then both djs will still get recorded. When recording with the 57 (and I assume 61/62) analog sources are part of the mix too.

But yea, if the mixer is disconnected and a new laptop hooked up, then an external recorder is the best way still.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:37 AM - 12 July, 2012
And external recorder (to me) is best anyway, because it can specialize in what it does...

What? 24hz if you want to go to DVD? Man listen...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:45 AM - 12 July, 2012
Also, get the USB AC Power supply too, so you don't have to worry about batteries...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:00 AM - 12 July, 2012
It also STOPS recording when you kill the audio signal to it, so you don't record "silence".... It goes into a "standby" mode, so between tracks on the same record, (Vocal, Inst, acapella), I just make sure to turn the sound off completely (so as not to pick up surface noise as the level of "sound detection" is customizable too), let it go into standby, then bring the fader up when I'm ready for the next track, and it just starts recording...

Dope.
pdidy 1:27 AM - 12 July, 2012
Quote:
It also STOPS recording when you kill the audio signal to it, so you don't record "silence".... It goes into a "standby" mode, so between tracks on the same record, (Vocal, Inst, acapella), I just make sure to turn the sound off completely (so as not to pick up surface noise as the level of "sound detection" is customizable too), let it go into standby, then bring the fader up when I'm ready for the next track, and it just starts recording...

Dope.

ok thats hot, i need that function. Your vinyl recordings sound great especially the The Masterdon and that shits like 30yrs old.....lol
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:42 AM - 12 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Dope.

ok thats hot, i need that function. Your vinyl recordings sound great especially the The Masterdon and that shits like 30yrs old.....lol

Let me tell you how I didn't even KNOW I had that jawn (was going thru a crate that I "inherited" recently), and it was there, so I HAD to burn it...

Did it today as a matter of fact...

YOU sir will NOT regret getting this device....

I got it at www.bhphotovideo.com in the city....
djaction 2:20 PM - 12 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Smartazz...

userpages.umbc.edu

If you want to use your "Smartphone" go ahead, but I'm a Professional, so I guess that would be to be expected of you.

so are you saying your laptop is not portable?

it really doesn't get any easier than just hitting record in serato
reggae delgado 6:20 PM - 12 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Smartazz...

userpages.umbc.edu

so are you saying your laptop is not portable?

it really doesn't get any easier than just hitting record in serato

So, just so you know, he already bought his recorder. And he also wants to record interviews/drops, which means he can't use serato.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:12 AM - 6 November, 2013
Quote:

So, just so you know, he already bought his recorder. And he also wants to record interviews/drops, which means he can't use serato.

Thanks man...

He's just slow....