DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Best slipmats

aslcharger08 5:00 PM - 11 March, 2012
I am looking for a new pair of slipmats the ones I have are old and the original technics 1200 mats with the dude scratching on it. I tried the paper trick under the slip mat and it helped but it still causes a lot of friction and catches the vinyl. It actually sticks so bad sometimes when I pull the vinyl off the slipmat comes right with it and you can feel the static.

What 12" slipmats do you guys recommend?
DJ ST 5:14 PM - 11 March, 2012
I've been using DJ Swamp-"Ouija"-Sicmats for about 4 years, they seem very nice, alhough a bit dusty and the print is kinda faded.

Probably will buy a pair of Dr. Suzuki-slipmats, either the Mix- or Scratch-versions.
There has been a lot of positive reviews of both versions.
They're not THAT expensive (35$/pair?), considering that they'll last and are a good buy.

That's my two cents.
housekeys 7:11 PM - 11 March, 2012
I have a pair of Dr. Suzuki's, I'd recommend getting those, they're the best one's I've used by far. Definitely worth the price.
L2daGee 7:30 PM - 11 March, 2012
Butter Rugs
aslcharger08 3:10 AM - 12 March, 2012
Cool thanks for the info all I saw was 100% reviews for everything so it was hard to tell what works and what doesn't.
DJ Tecniq 8:20 PM - 12 March, 2012
thin ice or black ice slipmats...game over!
DJWALDO 9:14 PM - 12 March, 2012
Quote:
thin ice or black ice slipmats...game over!

black ice all day....
Musically Minded 9:21 PM - 12 March, 2012
Quote:
Butter Rugs

+1
DJNickSaunders 9:34 PM - 12 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Butter Rugs

+1

+1
rickyj 4:54 AM - 19 March, 2012
butter rugs!!
Rane, Support
Chad S. 7:57 PM - 19 March, 2012
Slicker is better than sticky on the platter in your opinions?

How much SHOULD a good pair of slipmats cost?
DJ Remy USA 8:02 PM - 19 March, 2012
Wax paper = super cheap

or

Plastic bag from Grocery Store = free (After buying groceries)

trace around the vinyl with then cut to size. Pop on turntable and slap some butter rugs on top if you want extra (and I mean extra) slip.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 9:19 PM - 19 March, 2012
^^I rocked plastic bags with a slipmat forever. Then Rane gave me some slipmats and thats what I've been using since. My style is middle of the road, I don't want it super sticky but I don't want it to skid out when it should be getting traction either. Hence my questions :)
Niro 7:30 AM - 20 March, 2012
I would say the Suzuki table cloths. They are slick enough to scratch with, but also has enough grip to mix with. Butter rugs are way too slick. The table cloths also come with an anti static sheet. If you want a little grippier, get the mix edition.
Dom The DJ 4:31 AM - 21 March, 2012
Just went from the plastic bag trick to Butter Rugz and can't imagine going anywhere else. Loving these things.
djvtyme85 4:51 AM - 21 March, 2012
Quote:

Plastic bag from Grocery Store = free (After buying groceries)

Not where I live .05 lol

Suzuki has done me well these past couple of months before that glo tronics & wax paper
aslcharger08 7:28 AM - 21 March, 2012
Thanks for the tips everyone, I went to guitar center and got some butter rugz it was 16.00 for 2 and I felt the suzuki ones but the butter rugz had me sold! What an improvement for scratching and even just easier to drop in another song without the vinyl catching and screwing up the beat match.

I don't think I would go any slicker then the butter rugz.
RAYSH 1:38 PM - 21 March, 2012
i just went from butter rugz to dr suzukis and the dr suzukis look like they are better made
DJ Remy USA 1:50 PM - 21 March, 2012
in the words of Johnny........

man listen

put a plastic bag under them butter rugs/or suzikis and you will feel slip like never before. Since the plastic creates static as the platter spins you can also mix really well.
DJ NewYork 3:51 PM - 21 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Butter Rugs

+1

+1

+1
DJJorel 4:48 PM - 21 March, 2012
At NAMM, Slipmats Online had a small booth. They gave out samples on their "Thin Ice" slipmats. They are almost paper thin and are pretty slick.

I still use Suzukis, but the Thin Ice slipmats are dope for scratching, and they'll print whatever you want on them.
Nicky Blunt 5:55 PM - 21 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Butter Rugs

+1

+1

+1

+1

Butter rugs r the shit!
masteerdeeno 11:56 AM - 3 March, 2016
Might be long shot... but has anyone tried dr suzuki mix or tablecloth with an anti-static bag (used from computer components)? i'm trying to get rid of too much static in my station. Cleaning my CV and my needles with anti-static solution didnt help much. I always have to brush the dust off the needle every after 2-3 mins of playing, and it's annoying. Without cleaning them, Serato picks up all the garbled signal and makes the session unprofessional.
DJ Matty Stiles 2:31 PM - 3 March, 2016
I'm having static problems as well with tablecloths and plastic sheets

It's been so long since I've used butter rugs can someone remind me how they go with static?

Also is there a consensus on what is slippier - tablecloths or butter rugs?
masteerdeeno 2:49 PM - 3 March, 2016
Quote:
I'm having static problems as well with tablecloths and plastic sheets

Have you tried a piece from anti-static bag (not the regular plastic) between the slipmat and the platter? or maybe microfiber cloth (something like the ones used for cleaning iphone screens)? I don't have tablecloth and I'm planning to get it or the mix ed, but I wonder if it makes sense doing it. This is killing me right now :)
DJ Matty Stiles 3:42 PM - 6 March, 2016
No I haven't, what's anti static bag?

I'm using the sheets that come with the tablecloths

It's killing me too. Might have to pull out the old butter rugs

I started off with the butter rugs a long time ago but have been with slip mats for 95% of the time

I switched to tablecloths after hearing raving reviews about their slippiness

I'd be happy to go back to butter rugs (with no plastic) and sacrificing a little bit of slippiness (if in fact it is true that table cloths are indeed slippier) if it meant I didn't having to worry about peeling off those slipmats and getting rid of that damn static all the time
DAV3N 11:38 AM - 12 February, 2017
Are the Butter Rugs Version 3.0 better than the Version 2.0? I mean, i am scared to buy them. Ive been searching for Tablecloth or Butter Rug slipmats. I found the butter rugs version 3.0. Is it okay to buy them? thanks!