DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Rane 62 & The Maschine

estavrou 5:25 PM - 7 March, 2012
How would one go about syncing the midi beat clock from a chosen channel in serato scratch live to the Maschine? I still don't quite understand how to send the tempo of a track via midi out with the 62's new feature. Hope you can help!

Thanks!!!
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:46 PM - 7 March, 2012
Scratch Live would send the bpm info to the mixer and the mixer would then send it out to Maschine (or some software Maschine speaks with).
I am not familiar with Maschine but as long as it can receive midi data (which I'm sure it can) all you should need to do as far as the 62 is open the 62's preference pane in either the Control Panel (PC) or System Preferences (Mac) and turn on the option for the mixer to send and receive the midi beat clock.
At that point the midi data will be sent out of the 62.
You may need to contact NI to ask them how Maschine can then receive that clock info.
estavrou 1:00 AM - 8 March, 2012
Ok cool, i follow so far, but where does the midi data get transmitted from the mixer? Would I need to connect a USB to midi cable coming out of the back of the second usb port on the 62 or something? Also how does one decide what bpm info from which track is being sent? Thanks Zach!
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:46 PM - 8 March, 2012
The bpm that the mixer picks up from SSL is determined by the channel you engage the Flex FX button on.
For example.. if you have a track loaded on the left deck with a bpm of 130.
As soon as you press the Flex FX button for channel 1 on the mixer the bpm of that track gets sent to the mixer.
I did forget to add in my previous response that plugging both USB outputs from the 62 into the same computer is not recommended. Its not designed for use like that and you could have issues.
Unfortunately, Scratch Live steals the mixer and you can no longer use the CA or ASIO drivers once you open SSL. With that said, the mixer, at that point, can no longer send the midi beat clock back to Maschine's software using the same USB output on the mixer.
So.... for now.. you'd have to use two computers. One running SSL on USB A (using Serato's driver) and one running Maschine (with CA/ASIO) on USB B.

The midi beat clock would then be able to get sent to the Maschine software on USB B.
estavrou 5:36 PM - 11 March, 2012
Would I be able to use a "USB b to USB a female" connection out of the rane 62 USB B port, then plug in a standard "USB to midi cable", and have that going into the midi ports at the rear of the maschine, and then use the machine without the software (eliminating the need for a second computer), so I would basically have to load up the samples I want onto the hardware, before I use it?

Sorry, this is confusing, let me know if you catch my drift!

Thanks!
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:49 PM - 12 March, 2012
I think you could use a basic midi interface such as --> www.motu.com
You would still need to plug USB B from the 62 into the computer and plug this interface into your computer which isn't really solving your issue of not having to plug both USB outs of the 62 plugged into one computer.
I'm guessing this would just be an unneeded interface as you can probably do the same thing by plugging Maschine directly into your computer via USB.
I would reach out to NI and ask them how to get midi beat clock info from your computer to Maschine via USB.
As long as Maschine is talking on the same Midi channel it should be able to receive the clock coming from your 62.
Plugging both USB outputs of the 62 into your computer may work. I would definitely try it.
Rebelguy 7:35 PM - 12 March, 2012
Quote:
Would I be able to use a "USB b to USB a female" connection out of the rane 62 USB B port, then plug in a standard "USB to midi cable", and have that going into the midi ports at the rear of the maschine, and then use the machine without the software (eliminating the need for a second computer), so I would basically have to load up the samples I want onto the hardware, before I use it?

Sorry, this is confusing, let me know if you catch my drift!

Thanks!

Maschine is not a sampler nor does it hold any samples. It is only a midi controller that works with the native instruments software so you would need it hooked up to a computer. It is also powered over USB so I am not sure if it would even work if you connected it straight to the mixer.
clickclickw00t 2:56 AM - 14 March, 2012
I have a maschine and a 57 and I'm geting a 62 in a few days.

the best way to run maschine with midi clock is with Ableton and The Bridge. I have used it, and its great. Especially if you use Maschine as a step sequencer.
estavrou 10:54 PM - 14 March, 2012
Quote:

the best way to run maschine with midi clock is with Ableton and The Bridge. I have used it, and its great. Especially if you use Maschine as a step sequencer.

I have a macbook pro (late 2011), 2.4ghz quad core, 8g ram, 128ssd & i replaced the optical drive with a 1tb hd.

I will use the way you have suggested, but do you think i'll find any issues with latency?

What's the best way to configure this?

Thanks!
clickclickw00t 11:09 PM - 14 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

I have a macbook pro (late 2011), 2.4ghz quad core, 8g ram, 128ssd & i replaced the optical drive with a 1tb hd.

I will use the way you have suggested, but do you think i'll find any issues with latency?
Holy crap man I have the same Setup. Late 2011 MBP, 2.4 quad, 8gb RAM, 128GB Corsair SSD and replaced optical with 750GB HD. Matte screen.

And yes, you will have absolutely no lag. You need to buy ableton and run Maschine as a VST in ableton. Then when you run the bridge, it should let you run maschine as a transport in ableton.

Thanks!
clickclickw00t 11:09 PM - 14 March, 2012
quote fail!

Holy crap man I have the same Setup. Late 2011 MBP, 2.4 quad, 8gb RAM, 128GB Corsair SSD and replaced optical with 750GB HD. Matte screen.

And yes, you will have absolutely no lag. You need to buy ableton and run Maschine as a VST in ableton. Then when you run the bridge, it should let you run maschine as a transport in ableton.

Thanks!
clickclickw00t 11:10 PM - 14 March, 2012
more quote fail. didn't mean those last two lines..
erange 6:03 AM - 10 April, 2012
FYI click & estavrou I TOO had the same setup but went back to a 750gig due to recent Kernal Panic issues with Serato. I do have a ridiculously large music library, so I swapped both internals for two 750 gig SSD hybrids. The 1tb is only 5400 rpm & the cache was maybe 8. my 750's are 7200rpm & 32 cache. Until SSD prices drop...
SUBSTANCE 11:14 PM - 28 October, 2013
Are you guys running your audio via USB back into your mixer or running the audio out of a minijack from your computer?
I've been using the maschine VST / bridge / SSL setup into my Rane 62.
By using the USB signal path I get glitchy audio out of Ableton / Maschine but it's fine when I use the mini jack audio out from my Macbook.
The USB signal path is what I would prefer though, saves me having to use the dodgy audio connection on the Macbook minijack and the USB signal gives me routing options. (Left, Right, Aux)
Any ideas why my Ableton / Maschine VST / Bridge / Serato isn't enjoying being routed by USB?
ra.skill 12:41 PM - 5 December, 2015
Quote:
By using the USB signal path I get glitchy audio out of Ableton / Maschine but it's fine when I use the mini jack audio out from my Macbook.

Hay SUBSTANCE did you ever solve this issue?
I have the same problem...
When Im not DJing I play music from my Mac to my Rane 62 via the USB auxiliary but every 2-3 minutes the music cuts out for a second then goes distorted and glitchy, this fades away till it happens again 2-3mins later.
When playing through the minijack this does not occur.
Anyone have a fix for this??
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:09 PM - 7 December, 2015
What operating systems are you guys using?
ra.skill 5:13 PM - 7 December, 2015
I'm running the latest Yosemite.
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:14 PM - 7 December, 2015
Do you only hear this static on USB channels 7/8 or is it any usb stream?

What program are you using to play music?
ra.skill 5:18 PM - 7 December, 2015
Using Chanel's 5&6 havnt tried others...
Perhaps I should.
Play back with iTunes.
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:24 PM - 7 December, 2015
Oh right.. 5/6.
What operating system are you using?
ra.skill 5:29 PM - 7 December, 2015
Sorry, above I stated Yosemite, this is wrong...
Im running latest El Capitan 10.11.1
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:41 PM - 7 December, 2015
That is going to be the problem. Rane hardware is not yet compatible with El Capitan.
ra.skill 2:59 AM - 8 December, 2015
Thanks Zach,
Yea i did consider this...
I'll download the new Beta and try again.
Appreciate ur help