DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Anyonne know DJ Mark thrasher from 93.3 in San Diego??

DJCheLu 9:03 PM - 29 November, 2007
Im curious how the hell he does his mixing. Its sounds dam good and blends together so well and its done live. ON fridays he does a live mix where callers can request a song and he will blend it in. What stumps me is his mixes seem to have the same beat for four songs in a row but not exactly the same, hard to explain. I was told he uses funky mixes and denon 3500's but some of his mixes are bananas. If anyone has heard him live on the radio can you tell if his tracks are custom or what?? I was thinking he takes the songs and remixes them to the same instrumental so it all blends together perfectly at high energy bpms.
AlexRage 9:14 PM - 29 November, 2007
are you sure the calls are live? I know a lot of radio stations pre record their content to air later.
DJCheLu 10:03 PM - 29 November, 2007
Yea they push thats its completely live during the show as a selling point its only an hour long or so. Fridays i think 9am to 10am.
djlenza 10:12 PM - 29 November, 2007
i dont know him but i know frankie v @93.3
DJ_Motion 11:17 PM - 29 November, 2007
give us a link to a set or it's not true.
DJCheLu 12:38 AM - 30 November, 2007
hahah umm how the hell do i link to a set dam you all. Let me try and find one.
kev_the_dj 2:21 AM - 30 November, 2007
I actually know someone (he's a multi-media teacher) who said he was going to come down and talk to some kids, show what he does. This was a couple months back though so I don't know what happened. I'll go find out.
RecordandStks 5:49 AM - 30 November, 2007
Whatever happened to Z90, is that still the hottest in SD or 93.3 took over?

heres the link: www.channel933.com
DJCheLu 7:15 AM - 30 November, 2007
z90 is still jammin harde har har, but they have stiff competition with blazin 98.9
DJCheLu 7:27 AM - 30 November, 2007
Our very own resident DJ Marc Thrasher. You can catch him on the Playhouse every Friday at 9am for the Flush the Format Mix! You want to hear a song, call us at 570-1933! You can also catch him mixing up your Club 933 at Noon everyday and on Friday and Saturday nights, as well as being one of the reisdent mix DJ's in the Weekly Digital Groove! Marc Thrasher is one of the nation's most-influential radio mixshow dj's! Heard it on the radio? For more details on the Digital Groove log on to www.digitalgrooveradio.com.

thats all i could find on him.....
DJCheLu 7:31 AM - 30 November, 2007
Oh here is his site but no mixes on there www.djthrasher.com :(
RecordandStks 9:35 AM - 30 November, 2007
z90 was the shit, I used to listen to them a long time ago back in like 91-94 until I moved.
djlenza 1:48 PM - 30 November, 2007
Quote:
Oh here is his site but no mixes on there www.djthrasher.com :(

looks like that last time that was updated was 2005...
Request_This_Ladies 12:22 AM - 2 December, 2007
Thrasher is Ol School. He doesn't use a PC based DJ program just CDs. Yes he is that good, but because the he does several nationally syndicated shows weekly his shows are pre-recorded.

Thrasher is a cool cat. He is responsible for teaching a lot of DJs the art and giving them their first break. Mark is like QBERT - if you have a question about DJing he will take the time to answer it for you.

I know this sounds like a press release; its not.

CheLu - you can catch his spinning at Whiskey Girl(?) during the week.
DJCheLu 2:58 AM - 2 December, 2007
Whiskey girl?? I have never heard of it, that might be in PB. Im going to have to go check him out his mixes are awesome.
Jay-R Enguillado 11:05 PM - 3 December, 2007
my co worker listens to 933 all day. i hear it all the time.

to sum it up, imagine a mix with no cuts, scratches, doubling, etc while using remix service records such as funkymix, ultimix, etc. not my cup of tea, but it works for thier target audience. plus they do beat Z90 in ratings since it is a pop station.
bandoma 7:33 AM - 4 December, 2007
Quote:
z90 was the shit, I used to listen to them a long time ago back in like 91-94 until I moved.

+1000

dj rags had a dope show. he played all the real hip hop that we now call golden era hip hop!

james dee was a dope dj too.
uno seis 3:27 PM - 4 December, 2007
they still have some dope djs...i spun with DJ Bakspin once and he was dope as fuck live
DJBlisk 5:57 PM - 4 December, 2007
Ragz spins at Belo on fridays now.
kirchsd 8:16 PM - 4 December, 2007
I have known Thrasher pretty well for the last couple years. He has been the resident at my work the last 2 summers (The Wavehouse in MIssion Beach), so as a DJ i constantly talk to him about everything DJ related. He is the shit though. Haven't ever heard him mess up a mix in 2 years. He is so solid because he spins 45-50 hours a week. But ya he still uses CDs, no SSL, a DJM-800, and 2 pioneer CD tables. He does use funky mixes a lot, but known of his stuff is custom at all.

And CHelu, Whiskey Girl is downtown on 5th & Market. He is there 3-4 nights a week. Also at Tavern in PB every other Sunday I believe.
DJCheLu 9:12 PM - 4 December, 2007
Dam he has all those residencey's and he still spins for 93.3 BALLLINNNNN
digitaljunkeez 9:13 PM - 4 December, 2007
So SAN DIEGO is in the Building.

You can catch me at HEAT downtown SD on THURS. (The ladies spot)
And every other Sat I throw events there.

(Every Thurs)
img160.imageshack.us

(Sat Dec 15th)
img529.imageshack.us
DJ_Motion 9:18 PM - 4 December, 2007
hmmm.. all funky mixes and friendly edits?
DJBlisk 9:26 PM - 4 December, 2007
where is heat?

The Ivy was boring, although I was happy to see Tina T. spinning.
uno seis 9:37 PM - 4 December, 2007
Heat is on 5th right below F. Right next to the dirty dusty old C Lounge - my very first dj residency =)

Blisk you have some high standards for clubs homie...remind me to not invite you out when I am spinning haha
DJBlisk 9:44 PM - 4 December, 2007
Nah. I've just been clubbing way too much.
DJBlisk 9:44 PM - 4 December, 2007
isn't that martini lounge?
uno seis 9:51 PM - 4 December, 2007
if you are thinking of Martini Ranch, that is on the corner of 6th and F
digitaljunkeez 10:59 PM - 4 December, 2007
Heat is at 5th & G. across from ole madrid.
digitaljunkeez 11:33 PM - 4 December, 2007
IVY. Ha no wonder it was boring......I remember when everyone was talking about that spot. Now no one is. Just another club downtown. Nice inside, but that's it! To Bright in there too.

Come to heat THURS and Sat 15th! Check the flyers above!
DJBlisk 12:25 AM - 5 December, 2007
I live in LA but I'll let you guys know when I get down there again.

What the hell is up with SD nightlife?

its hurting.
digitaljunkeez 2:59 AM - 5 December, 2007
Its wack. Honestly. But I am bringing it back on a REAL PARTY EXPERIENCE VIBE! Trust me. Packed heat with over 500 people SAT!
kirchsd 7:21 AM - 5 December, 2007
I don't think it's hurting too bad. My theory is that there are just so many new places downtown as of the last couple years, everything is so spread out. Look at The W, Ivy, now the Hard Rock, Stingaree, Belo etc.... And nights when there are huge names at Broadway or Sting, everywhere else suffers and that one club is packed at capacity.
digitaljunkeez 4:40 PM - 5 December, 2007
Well I FEEL YOU! But they all suck to me im my opinion. EXPENSIVE DRINKS and damn near duplicating dj. THE DJS IN SAN DIEGO, play the same music and mash ups (EVEN THOUGH THE TRUE NAME IS BLENDS...my personal pet peve). No one gets the party hype. Well I haven't heard anyone. It like you got to get HAMMERED TO HAVE A BALL OUT HERE, and YOU HAVE TO BRING YOUR OWN PARTY ie, chicks and fellas!
DJBlisk 4:45 PM - 5 December, 2007
I'm kind of with digital on this one.
digitaljunkeez 4:52 PM - 5 December, 2007
They are duplicates, same mash ups same av8's same fatman scoop and same radio hits. HORRIBLE! I hate it!

^ thanks BLISK its like that even in Vegas, its not exciting out there to me anymore.
DJBlisk 4:55 PM - 5 December, 2007
You are correct Sir. Its like that in Hollywood but the music is worse. thank god the girls here are smoking. OC has the combination of better music and hot blondes who take their outfit cues from strippers who don't know how to dress.
RecordandStks 5:06 PM - 5 December, 2007
Quote:

dj rags had a dope show. he played all the real hip hop that we now call golden era hip hop!

james dee was a dope dj too.

yeah I remember those two, and they had dj style too. man those were the days when radio played good music.
Request_This_Ladies 1:49 AM - 6 December, 2007
SD and LA are pretty much booked by one management company. Thats why you see the same DJs and hear the same sound.
DJCheLu 4:52 AM - 6 December, 2007
Quote:
SD and LA are pretty much booked by one management company. Thats why you see the same DJs and hear the same sound.

I always wondered why every DJ mixed in the same at the clubs. Funny thing is i have heard some wicked DJ's spin on thurs downtown usually opening for someone. But i have heard some good talent but they wont give them a chance to spin prime time....
DJBlisk 5:25 PM - 6 December, 2007
Really?
DJBlisk 5:26 PM - 6 December, 2007
if stonerokk or grahm funke or Evil one, or neil armstrong, or jazzy jeff

come down to SD, you guys should check them out.