Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Someone @ Serato Dev. 2.3.3 Tag Writing Process?

Niro 6:22 PM - 17 February, 2012
If someone at Serato could confirm the new "Tagging/meta Writing" method introduced in 2.3.3 will be the one used or planned to be used for the time being. As you know writing video tags have been an issue in the past. Not only time consuming, but also causing crashes. I would like to know this, so we don't waste our time moving to a new process and having it scrapped in a few releases.

Thanks
djpuma_gemini 6:28 PM - 17 February, 2012
+1

Which is why I'm on 2.2 for now until I know the process is the same in 2.4 and beyond.
Millz 6:45 PM - 17 February, 2012
This is the new way of writing the metadata. From my understanding its here to stay. I ended up redoing my entire crate system, re-analyzing and while I was at it, cleaned up my library substantially. Yes time consuming, but I have yet to have a crash with 2.3.3. I feel 2.3.3 is the most stable version of SSL since 1.9.2
Millz 7:00 PM - 17 February, 2012
The new process is much more smooth vs the older process. I would recommend doing what I said above.
djpuma_gemini 7:21 PM - 17 February, 2012
Maybe I can do it today, since I just backed up yesterday and can always revert back if anything major happens.
djnak 8:46 PM - 17 February, 2012
Quote:
This is the new way of writing the metadata. From my understanding its here to stay. I ended up redoing my entire crate system, re-analyzing and while I was at it, cleaned up my library substantially. Yes time consuming, but I have yet to have a crash with 2.3.3. I feel 2.3.3 is the most stable version of SSL since 1.9.2

+1 I lost(Corrupted) a few vids during the transition but nothing major like 100 vids out of 18000 and most were suspect to begin with so it was no suprise they will not play
Dj Nyce 9:01 PM - 17 February, 2012
i second what Millz said. i re-did my entire library. as far as MP4's are concerned, 2.3.3 has been the most stable for me since 1.9.2.

you have to rescan your library though. and the new tagging is not backwards compatible with earlier versions. so when you do it, its 2.3.3+ for life.
Millz 10:05 PM - 17 February, 2012
the reason they are showing corrupted is either they in fact are corrupted or the tagging/metadata on that particular file is screwed up. If you go in and edit the tagging information then reanalyze it may fix it.
Millz 10:09 PM - 17 February, 2012
Actually if you analyzed your files in anything prior to 2.3.3, the data will still be saved (if in fact you were to run an older version). Chances are once you see how smooth 2.3.3 runs after you redo your ish, you wont look back
djnak 11:13 PM - 17 February, 2012
Quote:
the reason they are showing corrupted is either they in fact are corrupted or the tagging/metadata on that particular file is screwed up. If you go in and edit the tagging information then reanalyze it may fix it.

yeah we should try and pin point what encoders or tagging apps that caused these issue...I had very few that were actually corrupt....and all the ones I had issues with were mostly old edits from 8th...so its no biggie I wont miss those files anyways lol
PopRoXxX 11:39 PM - 17 February, 2012
Yup. I agree with Millz and Nyce. Gotta rescan the WHOLE library before ever trying to play with 2.3.3. I did and I have been fine :D
Joshua Carl 4:22 PM - 24 April, 2012
does anyone know if there is a meta-data stipper?
something that will just wipe all the info out of the data fields?
Dj Nyce 11:27 PM - 24 April, 2012
Quote:

mediarage (mac) and mp3tag and tag&rename (pc) will remove tags.

also running a file through mp4box (pc) will create a new file (byte for byte copy) with no tags.
djBern 3:31 AM - 25 April, 2012
In case anyone is interested, I found a version of mp3tag that runs under OSX from another forum. It's really the Windows version running under wineskin.

vortexbox.org

Tested it briefly and seems to work fine.
DJRemixEnt 1:38 PM - 25 April, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

mediarage (mac) and mp3tag and tag&rename (pc) will remove tags.

also running a file through mp4box (pc) will create a new file (byte for byte copy) with no tags.

what process are you using in media rage??? because everytime i try to alter tags in media rage, i get the files showing up in red and unable to edit. mp3's work fine.
phatbob 1:42 PM - 25 April, 2012
I assume that if MediaRage can't read or write the tags, then there's something up with the tags in the file and I do a 'save as' in MpegStreamclip.

All my SmashVisions, DTVideos and FCP files I've created myself all tag fine with MediaRage.

I usually have to do the 'save as' process with about 50% of each week's BlastVids... :-(
DJRemixEnt 1:52 PM - 25 April, 2012
i only seem to have problems with xtendamix and blastvids tags. but the thing is, when i open the files in itunes or media monkey, all the tag properties are perfect. but when i open them in SSL, the fields are blank unil i load a track into the offline player or analyze it, then the track info will appear under the song column.

Quote:
In case anyone is interested, I found a version of mp3tag that runs under OSX from another forum. It's really the Windows version running under wineskin.

vortexbox.org

does this work with mp4 files?
Dj Nyce 2:53 PM - 25 April, 2012
mp4box on osx
penguintool.blogspot.com

it's a terminal app so you can script it.

./MP4Box -single 1 blah.mp4 <will extract track 1 aka video
./MP4Box -single 2 blah.mp4 <will extract track 2 aka audio

if you want to extract to a specific filename for scripting add -out
./MP4Box -single 1 blah.mp4 -out blah_track1.mp4

to mux
./MP4Box -add blah_track1.mp4 -add blah_track2.mp4

also mp4box can do more than mux/demux. it's the swiss army knife for mp4's. should be in everyone's arsenal.
gpac.wp.mines-telecom.fr
djBern 3:37 PM - 25 April, 2012
Quote:

Quote:

vortexbox.org

does this work with mp4 files?

I failed to notice when I tested it, but according to the mp3tag web site,
Mp3tag supports the following audio formats:

Advanced Audio Coding (aac)
Free Lossless Audio Codec (flac)
Monkey's Audio (ape)
Mpeg Layer 3 (mp3)
MPEG-4 (mp4 / m4a / m4b / iTunes compatible)
Musepack (mpc)
Ogg Vorbis (ogg)
OptimFROG (ofr)
OptimFROG DualStream (ofs)
Speex (spx)
Tom's Audio Kompressor (tak)
True Audio (tta)
Windows Media Audio (wma)
WavPack (wv)
Joshua Carl 3:46 PM - 25 April, 2012
I would love if mp3tag worked on my mac.... gonna try this out later.
Dj Nyce 4:22 PM - 25 April, 2012
mp3tag is one of the best taggers on windows. that and tag&rename is the de facto standard for manipulating mp4 tags.

the wine port of mp3tag works fine. since it's not a native osx app, performance will not be up to par with the native windows app.
Nicezia 8:54 AM - 21 October, 2012
not sure if you guys know this or not, but there is a native editor for linux that is just like mp3tag called puddletag
BOOGIEFROMCUR 4:47 AM - 26 October, 2012
100% agreed with DJ NYCE for windows by FAR the best i= tag and rename