Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Scalers & Such. Extron drops an absolute BOMB! The DVS605

Joshua Carl 10:58 PM - 16 February, 2012
www.extron.com

as people who watched the last episode of Video Report saw, we did a entitre
show in scan converters, complete with a recap and product break down.

obviously we got lots of questions, and like anything thats new to people there was alot of mis interpretation of data.

so in our researched we bagan questioning the extron 500/700/900
Owning one myself, and haveing 1/2 doezen friends who do we came to a rather obvious
conclusion.
now that alot of us are playing HD, or playin TO HD units. NTSC/PAL isnt going to cut it anymore.

so to clear all this up, and get extrons answer I called em right up myself and had a hearty tech talk with their peoples. heres what I can pass on.

1. They were totally green to what we actually do, and rather intrigued and excited about how we have been using their product... i sent them over to the Video Report and they were pretty wowed at all the users chiming in...
I think they are used to this kind of genuine interest on a installer level, not the user level.

2. they recommended the 605 as the "next step" for us.
and after watching the 2 videos... WOW, WOW AND WOW.//I WAAAAANT!
im still working on a price on it... i bet its gonna pretty $$$$$$$$$$$$$
but to be honest, we dont NEED all that, 2 inputs, a universal and HDMI would be fine
so the more i talk to them the more im gonna try to feel them out about a solution that
would work for "us"

#. they took a interest in what WE do as video djs, Im trying to get one of their people to weigh in over at video report in the comments... so if there is something you think about the 500/700/900/605 they are watching their comments... :-)
I dont know what will come of this.... but its good to know the company is taking interest!
Joshua Carl 11:09 PM - 16 February, 2012
and if u just want to read it here.... but seriously... watch the videos:

he Extron DVS 605 is a high performance video scaler that includes three HDMI inputs, two universal analog video inputs, and simultaneous HDMI and analog high resolution outputs. The DVS 605 accepts a wide variety of video formats including HDMI with HDCP, HDTV, RGB, and standard definition video. It features advanced Extron video signal processing with 1080i deinterlacing, Deep Color processing, and true seamless switching for professional-quality presentations. Designed for professional AV integration, the DVS 605 offers flexible control options including Ethernet, RS-232, USB, and contact closure. The DVS 605 is available in models with audio switching plus HDMI audio embedding / de-embedding, and also 3G-SDI/HD-SDI output with genlock.

Five Input Multi-Format Video Switcher

To accommodate a variety of sources, the DVS 605 features three HDMI inputs plus two universal analog video inputs that can automatically detect and process RGB computer-video, HDTV, component video, S-video, and composite video. The DVS 605 provides the capability to integrate digital and analog video devices, with HDCP compliance to enable integration of Blu-ray Disc players and cable or satellite HD receivers. Auto-switching between inputs streamlines system operation as well as integration with presentation switchers or matrix switchers.
EDID Minder® and Key Minder®

To enhance and simplify integration of sources and displays, the DVS 605 Series features two exclusive Extron technologies: EDID Minder and Key Minder. EDID Minder automatically manages EDID communications between the display device and all the HDMI and VGA computer-video input sources. For HDMI signals with protected content, Key Minder authenticates and maintains continuous HDCP encryption between input and output devices to ensure quick and reliable switching in professional AV environments. When receiving an HDCP-encrypted HDMI input source, the DVS 605 outputs a full-screen green signal on any video output connected to a non-HDCP compliant display. This provides immediate visual confirmation that the protected content cannot be viewed on this display.
High Performance Video Processing

The DVS 605 features an advanced, high performance 30-bit scaling engine with the ability to scale HDMI, RGB, HDTV, and standard definition video signals up or down in resolution. This advanced video processor also features high performance deinterlacing of 1080i and standard definition video to deliver optimal image quality through advanced motion compensation.

The DVS 605 accepts and outputs signals up to 1920x1200 including HDTV 1080p/60 and 2048x1080. It provides simultaneous outputs for HDMI and analog RGB or HD component video. An additional 3G-SDI/HD-SDI output with genlock is also available.
Create Professional Quality Presentations with Seamless Switching and Picture-in-Picture

The advanced video processing in the DVS 605 enables high quality, professional presentations with true seamless switching between Inputs 1 to 4 with selectable cut or dissolve transitions. The DVS 605 also features a flexible PIP picture-in-picture mode that allows any two video sources connected to Inputs 1 to 4 to be shown on one display. Several PIP presets are available, including side-by-side windows, and the PIP window can be dynamically sized and positioned anywhere in the image.
Audio Switching Models Available

All DVS 605 models provide lip sync delay and level adjustments for embedded HDMI audio. The DVS 605 A and DVS 605 AD feature five input audio switching to accompany incoming video sources. Gain and attenuation can be adjusted for each input, and the DVS 605 provides master volume control.

DVS 605 models with audio switching feature HDMI audio embedding and de-embedding. Any input audio signal can be embedded onto the HDMI output. DVS 605 audio models can also extract embedded HDMI audio to analog and digital S/PDIF outputs. The DVS 605 AD, with audio switching plus 3G-SDI/HD-SDI output can embed two-channel audio onto the SDI output.

Multiple Options for Control and Operation

The DVS 605 features front panel controls for quick access to functions. Remote configuration and control are available via RS-232, Ethernet, and USB, plus contact closure to control input switching. The DVS 605 is housed in a 1U enclosure and can easily be integrated into many environments.

Features

Integrates HDMI, RGB, HDTV, and video sources into presentation systems — The DVS 605 provides switching and signal optimization for a wide range of AV sources.

Inputs: Three HDMI; two universal 15-pin HD inputs for RGB, HD component video, S-video, or composite video

Outputs: Simultaneous scaled outputs on HDMI and 15-pin HD

Three HDMI inputs and two universal auto-detecting analog video inputs — The DVS 605 allows for switching between HDMI and analog video sources. Two analog universal video inputs automatically detect incoming RGB, HD component video, S-video, or composite video signals.

Supported HDMI specification features include data rates up to 6.75 Gbps, Deep Color, and HD lossless audio formats

HDCP compliant — The DVS 605 fully supports HDCP-encrypted signals.

Advanced scaling engine — The DVS 605 features a high performance 30-bit scaling engine with the ability to scale high resolution computer-video and HDTV as well as standard definition video up or down in resolution. The advanced video processing in the DVS 605 also supports true seamless switching and flexible PIP capabilities.

True seamless switching — Seamless cut and dissolve transition effects are available for Inputs 1 to 4 to enhance and deliver professional quality presentations. Input 5 features glitch-free switching with a fade to black.

PIP - picture-in-picture — For Inputs 1 to 4, the DVS 605 provides the flexibility to allow unrestricted two-window display of standard definition and high resolution digital and analog video sources. Several PIP presets are available, including side-by-side windows. The main and PIP windows can be dynamically sized, positioned, and magnified. In DVS 605 audio models, audio switching can be set to follow either the main or PIP window.

SpeedSwitch™ Technology provides exceptional switching speed for HDCP-encrypted content

Simultaneous outputs for HDMI and analog RGB or HD component video — HDMI and high resolution analog RGB or component video outputs are available for driving two displays.

Auto Input Format Detection — For the universal analog video inputs, the DVS 605 detects the incoming signal format, automatically reconfiguring itself to provide the appropriate decoding and signal processing. This feature can reduce the number of required outputs for a matrix switcher, lowering system cost while improving manageability.

Auto-switching between inputs — The DVS 605 can automatically switch between input sources. With auto-switching, the DVS 605 can accommodate additional inputs when connected to the outputs of a larger presentation switcher, such as the MPS 409.

Key Minder® continuously verifies HDCP compliance for quick, reliable switching — Key Minder authenticates and maintains continuous HDCP encryption between input and output devices to ensure quick and reliable switching in professional AV environments, while enabling simultaneous distribution of a single source signal to one or more displays.

HDCP authentication and signal presence confirmation via RS-232 or Ethernet — The DVS 605 provides real-time verification of HDCP status for each digital video input and output. This allows for simple, quick, and easy signal and HDCP verification through RS-232 or Ethernet, providing valuable feedback to a system operator or helpdesk support staff.

HDCP Visual Confirmation provides a green signal when encrypted content is sent to a non-compliant display — A full-screen green signal is sent when HDCP-encrypted content is transmitted to a non-HDCP compliant display, providing immediate visual confirmation that protected content cannot be viewed on the display.

EDID Minder® automatically manages EDID communication between connected devices — EDID Minder ensures that all sources power up properly and reliably output content for display.

Selectable output rates from 640x480 to 1920x1200, including HDTV 1080p/60 — Available output rates include computer-video up to 1920x1200, HDTV rates up to 1080p/60, and 2048x1080.

AFL™ - Accu-RATE Frame Lock — A patented technology exclusive to Extron that eliminates image tearing caused by frame rate conversion.

Image freeze control — A live image can be frozen using RS-232 serial control or Ethernet control.

Auto-Image™ setup — When activated, the unit automatically detects the resolution of the incoming video signal and sets the total pixels, active pixels, and active lines, as well as the horizontal and vertical starting points. This can save time and effort in setting up a newly connected source, particularly in presentation environments where the input is not connected to a fixed source, but instead goes to an open connection for a presenter’s laptop.

Auto Input Memory — When activated, the DVS 605 automatically stores size, position, and picture settings based on the incoming signal. When the same signal is detected again, these image settings are automatically recalled from memory.

On-screen display — The DVS 605 features an on-screen display which displays status information pertaining to the currently selected input, and facilitates easy adjustment of picture settings.

On-screen input labels — An on-screen text label may be assigned to each input, and to each incoming signal for the universal video inputs. The label can be up to 16 characters and input via RS-232 or Ethernet. This feature is especially useful when identifying incoming signals from a matrix switcher.

Power Save and standby modes — The DVS 605 can be set to automatically mute video and sync output to the display device when no active input signal is detected. This allows the projector or flat-panel display to automatically enter into standby mode to save energy and enhance lamp or panel life.

Picture controls for brightness, contrast, color, tint, and detail, as well as horizontal and vertical positioning, and sizing — 16 user memory presets are available for each input to store all image settings.

Automatic 3:2 and 2:2 pulldown detection — The DVS 605 offers advanced film mode processing techniques that help maximize image detail and sharpness for NTSC, PAL, and HDTV 1080i sources that originated from film.

Motion adaptive 1080i and SD deinterlacing — The DVS 605 provides high performance deinterlacing for 1080i and standard definition signals from sources including cable or satellite set-top boxes, delivering optimized image quality through advanced motion compensation.

Aspect ratio control — The aspect ratio of the video output can be controlled by selecting a FILL mode, which provides a full screen output, or a FOLLOW mode, which preserves the original aspect ratio of the input signal.

Quad standard video decoding — The DVS 605 uses a digital, four-line adaptive comb filter to decode NTSC 3.58, NTSC 4.43, PAL, and SECAM for integration into systems worldwide.

Internal test patterns for calibration and setup — The DVS 605 offers 14 test patterns, including a crop pattern, crosshatch, 16 bar grayscale, color bars, alternating pixels, ramp, white field, 4 x 4 crosshatch, and four aspect ratio patterns – 1.33, 1.78, 1.85, and 2.35.

Audio switching — The DVS 605 A and DVS 605 AD feature audio switching for five stereo balanced or unbalanced input sources.

Output volume control — DVS 605 audio models provide master volume control. Fixed and variable line level outputs are available, and each output can be balanced or unbalanced. Stereo input signals can be output as dual mono. The DVS 605 audio models also include a S/PDIF digital audio output.

Audio input gain and attenuation — Gain or attenuation can be adjusted for each input to eliminate noticeable differences when switching between sources.

Audio breakaway — Provides the capability to break an audio signal away from its corresponding video signal and route to the audio outputs, allowing the audio channels to be operated as a separate switcher.

Audio switching transitions — A transition technique applied during switches that lowers the audio of the switched-out source while simultaneously bringing up the audio of the activated source. The duration of the audio crossfade matches the duration of the video switching transition.

Integrated audio delay — The audio output is automatically delayed to compensate for latency introduced by the video processing. The audio delay can also be adjusted to a defined setting.

HDMI audio embedding and de-embedding — For DVS 605 models with audio, analog input audio signals can be embedded onto the HDMI output signal. The DVS 605 can also extract embedded HDMI audio signals, including two-channel PCM or encoded bitstream audio for Dolby® Digital or DTS® Digital Surround.

Optional 3G-SDI/HD-SDI output with genlock — The DVS 605 is available with a 3G-SDI/HD-SDI output that complies with SMPTE 292M and 424M, and ITU digital video standards. Genlock allows synchronization to an external reference signal for integration into broadcast and production applications.

Front panel security lockout — This feature locks out all front panel functions except for input selection; all functions however, are available through RS-232 control.

Hardwired IR connection — The DVS 605 features a rear panel hardwired IR port for connection to Extron MediaLink® Controllers, IP Link® Control Processors, or IR receivers for additional control flexibility.

Ethernet monitoring and control — The DVS 605 can be controlled and proactively monitored over a LAN, WAN, or the Internet. An intuitive Web interface is included for such common functions as input switching.

RS-232 control port — Using serial commands, the DVS 605 can be controlled and configured via the Extron Windows®-based control program, or integrated into a control system. Extron products use the SIS™ - Simple Instruction Set command protocol, a set of basic ASCII code commands that allow for quick and easy programming.

Front panel USB configuration port — Enables easy configuration without having to access the rear panel.

Contact closure ports — Can be used for external control of source switching.

Rack-mountable 1U, full rack width metal enclosure

New Includes LockIt® HDMI cable lacing brackets

Internal universal power supply — The 100-240 VAC, 50/60 Hz, international power supply provides worldwide power compatibility.
Rebelguy 11:11 PM - 16 February, 2012
So are you envisioning switching inputs between your computer and say a live feed? I am sure the pricing will be on the higher side. Just curious as to what applications you are seeing a need for it.
Joshua Carl 11:27 PM - 16 February, 2012
why not do full resolution HD picture In HD Cam picture on the fly with it?>

this thing has so many options its redonk.

The main reason being a TRUE HD upscaler, with multiple options for in and out.
until this dropped Extron didnt have an option after the 500/700/900
"Selectable output rates from 640x480 to 1920x1200, including HDTV 1080p/60 — Available output rates include computer-video up to 1920x1200, HDTV rates up to 1080p/60, and 2048x1080."
XRM5 5:43 PM - 17 February, 2012
PIP is pretty much mixing, if there are opacity controls & the switching is really seamless then this would work like a mixer. Only the proprietary control over the RS-232 port, though?

An HD mixer priced cheaper than a small car would be a big deal for what I'm working on, but I don't know if this quite gets there.
DJ Toad 1:54 AM - 22 February, 2012
Josh,

I use the Kramer VP-729. Sounds like it does similar things to the Extron. We combine live camera/ graphics / interactive texting and output wireless HD.
Joshua Carl 2:34 AM - 22 February, 2012
that looks pretty nasty too....

the only thing I dont see on it is a component OUT...unless it breaks out via UXGA ???
DJ Toad 3:54 AM - 22 February, 2012
I use the HMDI out 99% of the time into a Peerless HD FLOW wireless HDMI. I guess you could always downgrade via VGA into an analog converter. We use 60" LEDs and Short Throw Projectors most of the time.
DJ Toad 3:56 AM - 22 February, 2012
I'm also curious about the Black Magic ATEM Television Studio. Looks like a true HD mixer (via laptop) for under $1k
XRM5 7:52 PM - 22 February, 2012
There's a huge breakdown of the ATEM line in the comments here:

createdigitalmotion.com

Seems like its 2 big brothers are the ones to get iirc. But of course they're tons more.

Somebody needs to design a proper Vixid or Edirol-style HDMI mixer already.
Steve Dub. 7:59 PM - 22 February, 2012
I haven't watched the video but did you guys find a difference in quality between the different extron models?
Joshua Carl 8:30 PM - 22 February, 2012
not really... they are all NTSC out (500/700/900)

so if your playing HD videos... u need to move on to a HD solution
Steve Dub. 10:25 PM - 22 February, 2012
Thanks for the info. Happy with my 500 but of course always looking for something better. I just wish my venues would upgrade away from composite.
Dj Nyce 12:06 AM - 23 February, 2012
JC, yeah i was wrong about the 500/700 and HD. You guys were right NTSC only.

I had a chat with an Extron sales rep and they put me on to the baby brother of the DVS 605, the DVS 304 DVI. Everything the DVS 605 is, but portable and up to 1080p/60 output.

I'm hunting for a DVS 304 DVI as we speak.

Also, I did get a price on the DVS 605 $3,843 USD + VAT CHF
Joshua Carl 1:04 AM - 23 February, 2012
Did u talk to anthony?
Dj Nyce 1:08 AM - 23 February, 2012
No, Geoff
Joshua Carl 1:53 AM - 23 February, 2012
Thats great unit, it rocks DVI-I out which is nice, it can go analog or Digital.
so HDMI can happen as well, as other outputs.

Im supposed to talk to some people next week.
I cant imagine it having the 3500+ price tag.
but 1500+ wouldnt surprise me one bit :(
Dj Nyce 4:42 AM - 23 February, 2012
i found a few of the DVS 304 w/out DVI on eBay. Same specs as the DVS 304 w/DVI, but 5 BNC out instead of DVI. people keep outsniping me tho.
Steve Dub. 6:14 AM - 23 February, 2012
Why are these things so expensive? Because of the small market? I can't imagine these things cost too much too make.
Joshua Carl 3:15 PM - 23 February, 2012
I think because they are designed for installs, not really a person bringing it around as needed; they had no idea what we were using them fir
DJ Toad 3:35 PM - 23 February, 2012
Xrm5,

Thanks for the link, think I'm gonna get one and try it out
tomatoslice 6:38 PM - 23 February, 2012
Quote:
I think because they are designed for installs, not really a person bringing it around as needed; they had no idea what we were using them fir

also, because of that they probably sell less units.
the more that are bought maybe prices will be lowered.

i am really glad you reached out and spoke to the, JC. thank you.
this could open their eyes to new marketing and products geared toward us, especially in pricing.
DJ DisGrace 7:56 PM - 23 February, 2012
Quote:

+1

this is the kind of stuff commonly installed in lecture halls and board rooms. price is not usually a concern....
Dj Nyce 12:57 AM - 30 March, 2012
yo, i just copped an Extron DVS 304. it can scale rgb inputs (minidisplayport-to-vga). the output quality on this thing is amazing. it makes the vsc 500 look like a quickplay.

i can go out via component video @ 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p and other resolutions as well. it can also do 4x3 pillarbox or 16x9. just tested this at a lounge with 10 flatscreens @ 1080p. smashvidz vids were looking like HD.

it can even be controlled via a web browser and has pip.
Eloy Garcia 3:59 AM - 30 March, 2012
I am going to get one and do a full review on video report for you guys... Also by the way new EP coming for Video Report next week!

-Eloy!
DJ JT Stevens 1:45 PM - 30 March, 2012
Hey Nyce, did you get the DVS 304 or the DVS 304 A? Looks like the A is longer and thinner and has inputs for audio switching. Seems to be the same otherwise though.

www.extron.com
Dj Nyce 4:18 PM - 30 March, 2012
i got the small one (no audio). it's about 3 inches deeper pause than the 500.
DJ JT Stevens 6:09 PM - 30 March, 2012
If you're noticing that much of a difference from the 500 that's pretty amazing. Makes me want to trade my 500 in for one of these guys.

Is everything else basically the same? Does yours have the DVI output?
Dj Nyce 8:43 PM - 30 March, 2012
i don't have the DVI version, but i don't think it's needed. dvi is digital so you could go from your macbook directly dvi or hdmi. if the tv's have hdmi then i would just go minidisplayport to hdmi to matrix/splitter/tv.

there are other differences as well. some of the major ones are the DVS 304 can switch between 4 inputs and each input has 4 memory slots. it automatically recognizes what you plugin and will actually load the last used settings for that specific input.

it can either pass thru the rgb input or scale it. for instance i have the mbp 2nd output at 800x600. the DVS scaled it to 1080p.

it has 4 inputs; composite bnc, rgb/component/s-video bnc, s-video bnc and rgb/component/s-video 15-pin.

aspect ratio of 4x3 or 16x9 globally or per input

it can output RGBHV/RGBS/RGsB or HD simultaneously on 15-pin and bnc.

it has 70 output rates including 720p, 1080i, and 1080p/60 Hz.

LAN port, web browser, input selection 1-4 on front panel, built-in test patterns (crop, alternating pixels, colorbar)

and a few other minor differences
DJ JT Stevens 9:12 PM - 30 March, 2012
Thanks for all the info Nyce. The fact that the inputs can recall specific settings is really useful and the automatic upscaling is sweet too.

Right now the only ones I'm seeing are the 304 A's with the audio switching. Looks like it might be a bit cumbersome to carry around and set up in small areas so I'll keep looking for a regular 304.
Dj Nyce 9:16 PM - 30 March, 2012
just save a search on ebay that's what i did. i got mine for $120. it's funny i have a DVS 204 and VSC 700 that i got dirt cheap on ebay as well. i'm posting those up this weekend. hopefully i'll at least break even on those.
DJ JT Stevens 12:09 AM - 4 April, 2012
That's exactly what I did and I just scored a DVS 304 DVI for $65 with shipping. I know the DVI isn't entirely necessary but it was the cheapest and had the oh so lovely "Buy It Now" option. Looking forward to trying this thing out.

Would you say that the 304 makes the 700 that I have obsolete?
DJ JT Stevens 12:10 AM - 4 April, 2012
Hot damn, I'm glad I pulled the trigger as quickly as I did. The guy had 3, including the one I bought, and they're all sold now. Seriously took no more than 30 minutes.
Dj Nyce 12:23 AM - 4 April, 2012
you that's a hell of a steal. the list price on these scalers are $1,000 and up.

anyways, yes it makes the 700 obsolete. the dvs 304 can do everything the vsc 500/700 can do and more.
Joshua Carl 12:49 AM - 4 April, 2012
daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn!
Joshua Carl 12:58 AM - 4 April, 2012
Im only seeing the DVS 304.... NOT the DVS 304 DVI
:-(

www.extron.com
www.extron.com
DJ JT Stevens 3:33 AM - 4 April, 2012
Wow. Yeah, I had a feeling the guy had no clue what he was selling. Seems like a lot of the people selling Extron stuff don't know the real value since they're usually wholesaling it. I was trying to get an MSRP on the 304 but couldn't find one. Figured it was up there though.

Let's just hope the thing works when receive it. If not I'll get in touch with Extron and see what they can do. If it does then I'll decide whether or not to keep the 700 as a backup.

JC, I see one on there. It's the other listing I was watching before I saw the one I ultimately bit on. The 304 DVI's say "Video & RGB Scaler" on them. The regular 304's say "Digital Video Scaler".
DJ JT Stevens 3:38 AM - 4 April, 2012
Okay, maybe I'm wrong. It looks like I'm right when looking at the links you posted from the Extron site, but according to this listing you can see "Video & RGB Scaler" on the unit but it only has a VGA port in the picture. Weird.

www.ebay.com
Dj Nyce 3:55 AM - 4 April, 2012
that's the one i have. the DVI model is nice i guess, but the bnc connecters and the 15-pin can output up to 1080p so not having DVI out is a moot point. the 304 is a video and rgb scaler. it can scale composite, s-video and all types of RGB.

and as far as whether they work, i've purchased a vsc 500, vsc 700, DVS 204 and a DVD 304 all from ebay and they've all worked without issue.

and list on the on the DVS 304 as of 2/27/12 is $1,537.00 usd.

p.s. when you get yours you might want to upgrade the firmware. the last version added a few features.
DJ JT Stevens 1:22 PM - 4 April, 2012
Yeah, the DVI out didn't grab my attention as much as the price did. There was no way I was letting that one slip by.

The VSC 700 that I got off eBay a few months ago works great so I'm guessing this one will too. It's just the skeptic in me...I'm always on my guard when I get something for such a great price, especially on eBay.

Thanks for the tip to update the firmware. I'll definitely do that.

Didn't know the list was THAT high. Damn.
Rebelguy 4:20 PM - 9 April, 2012
So I am assuming the DVS 304s that have been been having last minute bidding on ebay are from Video DJs....haha. I keep hoping to snag one at a low price but they keep getting crazy action in the final minutes.

I find it interesting that they are selling for a cheaper price then the VSC 700s although they are a better unit.
DJ JT Stevens 4:37 PM - 9 April, 2012
That's what I found interesting too. I'm just figuring that a lot of these people selling Extron equipment either don't really know the value of what they have or they're just wholesaling and don't care.

I was lucky enough to get one via "Buy It Now" from a guy that had three of them. It came in on Saturday. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet but it powers on and looks just as solidly build as the 700 I have.

Keep trying, you'll land one. And if you see a "Buy It Now" don't hesitate to do exactly that.
Steve Dub. 4:40 PM - 9 April, 2012
I've been getting outbid too. Bastards.
Rebelguy 4:54 PM - 9 April, 2012
So just to confirm...the 304 is supposed to be better quality then the 700 then?
Rebelguy 4:55 PM - 9 April, 2012
Quote:
I've been getting outbid too. Bastards.

Were you bidding in the one that just ended? Dude that one sniped at 1 sec.
DJ JT Stevens 5:19 PM - 9 April, 2012
Quote:
yo, i just copped an Extron DVS 304. it can scale rgb inputs (minidisplayport-to-vga). the output quality on this thing is amazing. it makes the vsc 500 look like a quickplay.

i can go out via component video @ 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p and other resolutions as well. it can also do 4x3 pillarbox or 16x9. just tested this at a lounge with 10 flatscreens @ 1080p. smashvidz vids were looking like HD.

it can even be controlled via a web browser and has pip.

Quote:
anyways, yes it makes the 700 obsolete. the dvs 304 can do everything the vsc 500/700 can do and more.

According to Nyce yes, the 304 is better than the 700 in terms of output quality and other options. Haven't had the chance to test mine yet but I'll definitely take his word for it.
djpuma_gemini 6:16 PM - 9 April, 2012
Also is the 304 better than the 500?

I see those big ass 304 A's, but that's some rack mount shit I don't need unless it's for a residency.
Rebelguy 7:26 PM - 9 April, 2012
Quote:
Also is the 304 better than the 500?

I see those big ass 304 A's, but that's some rack mount shit I don't need unless it's for a residency.

I am guessing the 700 is better than the 500 and since Nyce says the 304 is better than the 700 then yes...haha.

The 304A has audio also. Might as well just get the 304.
Joshua Carl 7:49 PM - 9 April, 2012
the 500 and 700 are NTSC out (non HD) 704×480 352×240
though it does scale to 1920x1200

The 605 & 304 are 640x4806,8,9, 800x6006,8,9, 852x4806,8,9, 1024x7686,8,9, 1024x8526,8,9, 1024x10246,8,9,1280x7686,8,9, 1280x8006,8,9, 1280x10246,8,9, 1360x7656,8,9, 1365x7686,8,9, 1365x10246,8,9, 1366x7681,2,3,1400x10506,8, 1440x9006,8,9, 1600x9006,8, 1600x12006,8, 1680x10506,8, 1920x12006,8
HDTV 480p7,8, 576p6, 720p3,4,5,6,7,8, 1080i6,7,8, 1080p1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8, 2048x10801,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
djpuma_gemini 8:25 PM - 9 April, 2012
how the hell does a lower numbered model output better or did they go 300, 500, 700, 304, 604 etc.
304 being the 4th gen 300, so it's better than a 1st gen 500/700?
Joshua Carl 8:33 PM - 9 April, 2012
its not the same model...completely different piece of gear
(though to us, its the same)

the 500/700 is the VSC
and the other are the DVS
djpuma_gemini 8:42 PM - 9 April, 2012
aaah. Ok, I didn't notice the letters were different too.
djpuma_gemini 8:43 PM - 9 April, 2012
so with the 304 You can output up to 1080p if your tv's can handle it.
Dj Nyce 8:56 PM - 9 April, 2012
Quote:
So just to confirm...the 304 is supposed to be better quality then the 700 then?

the DVS line up (304 and up) are waaaay better than the VSC line. the output quality on the DVS 304 @ 720p and up is mindblowing. i couldn't believe it.

the fact that the DVS line up is on ebay for under $200 is crazy. take advantage my friends.

also stay away from the DVS 204, it cannot scale VGA, it can only pass thru rgb.
Rebelguy 8:59 PM - 9 April, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

the DVS line up (304 and up) are waaaay better than the VSC line. the output quality on the DVS 304 @ 720p and up is mindblowing. i couldn't believe it.

the fact that the DVS line up is on ebay for under $200 is crazy. take advantage my friends.

also stay away from the DVS 204, it cannot scale VGA, it can only pass thru rgb.

Hey Nyce,

Can you explain how you are using or will be using the 304 in SD and HD situations? Basically I am wondering what connectors you would be using in each situation. I am assuming BNC to composite for SD but what about the HD side of things?
djpuma_gemini 9:01 PM - 9 April, 2012
Too bad all the 304's are the A versions.

Can you guys start hyping up a diff version so newcomers will get in bid wars over ones besides the 304's
Rebelguy 9:07 PM - 9 April, 2012
Quote:
Too bad all the 304's are the A versions.

Can you guys start hyping up a diff version so newcomers will get in bid wars over ones besides the 304's

They pop up pretty frequently. There have been a bunch in the past few weeks.
djpuma_gemini 9:08 PM - 9 April, 2012
yeah I saw the 3 stack with a best offer of $60.
djpuma_gemini 9:17 PM - 9 April, 2012
Yo eloy, pick this up for me.

newyork.craigslist.org
Dj Nyce 9:55 PM - 9 April, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hey Nyce,

Can you explain how you are using or will be using the 304 in SD and HD situations? Basically I am wondering what connectors you would be using in each situation. I am assuming BNC to composite for SD but what about the HD side of things?

for venues with HDMI I go Minidisplayport to HDMI to theTV's

For venues with RGB or component video I'll use the DVS with BNC
macbook pro 2nd display: 800x600
Minidisplayport-to-vga >VGA Cable>DVS 304 RGB 15-pin
DVS Input #4: Auto; Aspect Ratio 16x9; Output Res @ 1080p60
DVS Output Type: R-Y, Y, B-Y
DVS To TV's: Component Video via BNC or RGB via 15-pin

For venues with s-video or composite (eww) I use the avermedia quick play.
Rebelguy 10:09 PM - 9 April, 2012
So you can't go composite/S-Video out on the 304?
djpuma_gemini 10:12 PM - 9 April, 2012
So you're saying 800x600 with the 304 is better than 800x600 with the vsc 500?
Joshua Carl 10:18 PM - 9 April, 2012
yes.... but why would you ever go 800x600? 640x360 or 1280x768/720 is pretty much where you
want to live.
djpuma_gemini 11:32 PM - 9 April, 2012
I'd go 720P, but I doubt you'd see a difference considering most of our files are 360P and a lot of mine are 480P with a few 720P's
I still laugh at the guys that render at 1080P
Dj Nyce 11:44 PM - 9 April, 2012
@rebelguy you can't go composite or s-video out on the 304. only RGB (RGBHV, RGBS, RGsB) 15-pin or Component (R-Y, Y, B-Y) BNC. this hasn't been a problem for me as all the venues i've played so far have been component and/or HDMI.

@djpuma, @joshua carl Normally i leave the 2nd display at 640x480 but i tested it with the 304 and output looked best at 800x600. Using 640x480 had excellent results as well. At 1080p out, 800x600 had a significant quality increase over 640x480 with the same videos.

and at 640x480 or 800x600 the 304 had much quality better than the VSC 500/700. screenshots won't do it justice.
Joshua Carl 11:45 PM - 9 April, 2012
I do 1280x768 .... unless Im going HDMI then is gives that nice 720p option.
Joshua Carl 11:51 PM - 9 April, 2012
I just scored a 304 :-)

just curious on the rational to go so far away from the resolution that we are putting out
of both out 2nd display and/or Mix Emergency/Serato.

I run the videos at their native size (no stretch or zoom)
so that means they are heading to my MDP at 640x360, 640x480 or 1280x720 (generally speaking)
then they roll out of the MDP at 1280x720/768 (which as we know is a larger version of 640x360)
then they hit the scan converter for upscaling or the matrix... either way maintaining that
Pixel AR til they hit the TVs which are probably 16:9 (which plays nice with the format we out put in.....)

so, Im curios why we'd change it from (lets just say) 640x360 to 800x600 back to 16:9 at 1280x720 (providedd you are upscaling to 720)

again... im just asking here, thinking i might have missed some sense.
djpuma_gemini 12:12 AM - 10 April, 2012
Quote:
@rebelguy you can't go composite or s-video out on the 304. only RGB (RGBHV, RGBS, RGsB) 15-pin or Component (R-Y, Y, B-Y) BNC. this hasn't been a problem for me as all the venues i've played so far have been component and/or HDMI.

@djpuma, @joshua carl Normally i leave the 2nd display at 640x480 but i tested it with the 304 and output looked best at 800x600. Using 640x480 had excellent results as well. At 1080p out, 800x600 had a significant quality increase over 640x480 with the same videos.

and at 640x480 or 800x600 the 304 had much quality better than the VSC 500/700. screenshots won't do it justice.

damn a few spots have been s-video and composite. Really I only used the extron for s-video and component, no composite yet, but a few spots still have that.
Dj Nyce 3:00 AM - 10 April, 2012
JC the 304 has a global or per input aspect ratio setting. when i was playing with it at 4:3, the screens did not fill up even with ME set to fit, letterbox, zoom or stretch. when set to 16:9, the screens are full.

i agree the optimum setting should be 640x360. but a few other resolutions work well with the 304 w/no additional strain on the macbook.
djpuma_gemini 5:00 PM - 10 April, 2012
Someone is hoping to make some cash off of this one.
www.ebay.com

I'll wait until another one pops up or a best offer appears.
Rebelguy 7:16 PM - 10 April, 2012
Anyone get a chance to try one of these from monoprice?

www.monoprice.com

I know you would also need a mini-display to hdmi adapter but if it did work I am curious how the quality is compared to the avermedia quick play.
djpuma_gemini 7:40 PM - 10 April, 2012
only outputs at 480I
Steve Dub. 8:32 PM - 10 April, 2012
Just realized the 304 is pretty much useless for me since it doesn't output vid. Most of my spots are still old school and I don't see them changing their systems anytime soon.
djpuma_gemini 8:46 PM - 10 April, 2012
Doesn't output vid?
Dj Nyce 9:34 PM - 10 April, 2012
Quote:
Someone is hoping to make some cash off of this one.
www.ebay.com

I'll wait until another one pops up or a best offer appears.

definitely pass on that one. just save a search. one will pop up within 3 weeks. i got mine for $150.
Steve Dub. 9:58 PM - 10 April, 2012
Quote:
Doesn't output vid?

Yeah doesn't have a vid output like on the VSC500.
Joshua Carl 10:11 PM - 10 April, 2012
Composite.
no it does not.

ironically it does have composite IN though.
djnak 10:16 PM - 10 April, 2012
Quote:
Anyone get a chance to try one of these from monoprice?

www.monoprice.com

I know you would also need a mini-display to hdmi adapter but if it did work I am curious how the quality is compared to the avermedia quick play.

Nope but I have been rocking this one with great results and at 40 bucks its a frickin steal....

www.monoprice.com
Steve Dub. 5:58 PM - 24 April, 2012
Wonder how this works?

www.ebay.com
Robb Royale 6:23 PM - 24 April, 2012
Quote:
Wonder how this works?

www.ebay.com

A friend of mine has one that I've used before. It's decent (Picture quality is nothing to write home about, but it's to be expected). It gets real hot though. I was thinking about get one for myself, because one of the spots I do has some old projectors with composite inputs.
Joshua Carl 7:04 PM - 24 April, 2012
note.
as we learned this weekend.
certain VGA cables behave differently with the 304.

Ill let Eloy elaborate.
but in the end using these 2 VGA cables limited him to 640x360 and under on his 2ndary output resolution.

it was remedied by using the monoprice MDP to VGA 15foot cable

so, if u encounter a 304 not accepting your higer res output signal...
swap out the vga cable..
we are still trying to figure out EXACTLY what happend here though
Dj Nyce 11:35 PM - 24 April, 2012
Quote:
note.
as we learned this weekend.
certain VGA cables behave differently with the 304.

Ill let Eloy elaborate.
but in the end using these 2 VGA cables limited him to 640x360 and under on his 2ndary output resolution.

it was remedied by using the monoprice MDP to VGA 15foot cable

so, if u encounter a 304 not accepting your higer res output signal...
swap out the vga cable..
we are still trying to figure out EXACTLY what happend here though

that's weird. i have 3. one from monoprice, one belkin and another that came with the 304. i have no problems with any of them.

i'm thinking that's it's not wired for RGBHV? there are specific pin outs for the various rgb input types.
Joshua Carl 12:20 AM - 25 April, 2012
that could have def been it...I wasnt there.
but thats the report i got from my cohort.
djpuma_gemini 8:36 PM - 30 April, 2012
So this dvs 304 is only worthwhile if you output to component?
I usually use s-vid or composite out of the extron 500, so not sure if the 304 is even worth it.
Joshua Carl 8:48 PM - 30 April, 2012
thats a matter of Debate.

I can confirm or deny it. my 304 is sitting at Eloy's house
He, yes it DOES do composite out.

but on the website it says this:
"Dual RGB or component video outputs — Two simultaneous outputs are provided for driving two display devices."

"Video OUTPUT
Number/signal type 2 scaled or pass-through RGBHV, RGBS, RGsB or scaled component video (Y, R-Y, B-Y)
Connectors 5 female BNC
1 female 15-pin HD
Nominal level 1 Vp-p for Y of component video and for G of RGsB
0.7 Vp-p for RGB and for R-Y and B-Y of component video"

"Video INPUT:
V1 RGBHV, RGBS, RGsB, RGBcvS, component video (YUVi or YUVp/HDTV), S-video, composite video; pass-through is available for RGBHV, RGBS, RGsB signal types
1 composite video, S-video, component video (YUVi or YUVp/HDTV)
1 SDI (optional, DVS 304 D and DVS 304 AD only)
1 composite video

So, until i have this unit in my hand on Thursday maybe someone can weigh in with
hands on experience.
The unit DOES have a "V" ouput (much like the other units composite)
but if you look in the manual.... the V is for the H/V portion of an RGBHV output.
and it mentions NO WHERE in the menu's an option for composite out.
You can download the menu here:
media.extron.com
Joshua Carl 8:48 PM - 30 April, 2012
so, I lean to the idea it DOES NOT do it.....
I mean, all the media says it doesent.
djpuma_gemini 9:50 PM - 30 April, 2012
and why use the 304 with RGB when you can use the mindp to vga and be done with it?
Joshua Carl 10:02 PM - 30 April, 2012
for rooms that you need to run one of the versions of COMPONENT, and more importantly need to upscale your content from a 640 based image to a 50"+ or Projector.

theres alot of functionality in the extron that makes life alot easier than say
a non - automatic converter.
djpuma_gemini 10:36 PM - 30 April, 2012
aaah
Dj TopDonn 8:23 PM - 22 June, 2012
Finally got one of the DVS304's looking forward to an nice output quality improvement from my current avermedia quickplay.
Joshua Carl 8:25 PM - 22 June, 2012
its sooooo clean.

but READ THE MANUAL!
theres menus apon menus apon menus in it!
Dj Nyce 8:31 PM - 22 June, 2012
and you can update the firmware and access the super secret decoder ring menu via web.
Dj TopDonn 8:51 PM - 22 June, 2012
JC and Nyce thanks for tips.
Dj TopDonn 9:03 PM - 22 June, 2012
PS which BNC connector's do you use for output?
Joshua Carl 9:14 PM - 22 June, 2012
www.monoprice.com

RGB is what your going to run into most often.

RGBHV sometimes on some projectors.
if u plug it in, and its green.... its RGBHV
popnwave 9:53 PM - 22 June, 2012
Quote:
www.monoprice.com

RGB is what your going to run into most often.

RGBHV sometimes on some projectors.
if u plug it in, and its green.... its RGBHV

I always keep a handful of these types of connectors on hand! RatShack loves stealing your money at 5.99-8.99/ea for those things too.
djpuma_gemini 10:14 PM - 22 June, 2012
LMAO. I needed two bad 2 weeks ago and bought them from radio shack.
Went on amazon, but 10 for the price of 1 and returned the 2 to radio shack.
Steve Dub. 5:15 PM - 25 June, 2012
www.camera2000.com

Would this work so that I don't need my VSC 500 anymore?
djpuma_gemini 5:17 PM - 25 June, 2012
Nope. that's for the old style macs, maybe first gen unibody or earlier.
When apple had those stupid mini dvi ports between dvi and the now mini-display.
Steve Dub. 5:21 PM - 25 June, 2012
Oh ok. I'm always looking for a better option than the Extron. Something more compact.
djpuma_gemini 5:32 PM - 25 June, 2012
^agreed.
Dj TopDonn 9:35 PM - 27 June, 2012
The output quality from the Extron is freaking awesome, makes my averplay look like 1950's technology. Used it for the first time last nite.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 1:27 AM - 28 June, 2012
OK so I'm gonna sound real dumb here but whatever, I spin videos but I either use an s-video from my laptop to the projector or I go HDMI from my laptop to the tv. Now here's where I get stupid, using these up scalers I can set my resolutions from the up scalers instead of my laptop which in the end will have less strain on my laptop and the picture will look better?? Am I correct or way off base?
Niro 2:09 AM - 28 June, 2012
It's similar to encoding MP3's, your output will only be as good as your input, no matter how large the output is. As the saying goes "you can't polish a turd"

So if you're outputting from your laptop at 800x600 and upscale it to 1080, it will look as good as the 800x600, not the same as if you outputted at 1080 to 1080. But, there shouldn't be a reason to output at 1080, unless you're playing 1080p videos.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 2:19 AM - 28 June, 2012
So I guess when I connect to my projector or TVs I don't need to set the secondary display at the highest output?? My laptop will usually just automatically set it to the highest output the projector or tv tells it.
Niro 9:17 AM - 28 June, 2012
Actually I suggest an output of 800x600 if you're using a VGA. Or 480 (Not possible on some laptops for some reason) or 720. Most videos are at 360, I encode mine to 480 and if done correctly with a HQ will look comparable to 720/1080.

Good luck sir.
djpuma_gemini 1:58 AM - 2 July, 2012
304 scored. Thanks eBay. Sorry for the person I sniped out at the end.
Dj Nyce 2:08 AM - 2 July, 2012
Quote:

i only snipe auctions ha. i can't even bid normally anymore.
djpuma_gemini 5:25 AM - 2 July, 2012
there's an extron vsc 700 for $129 buy it now.
Not sure how good those are but i think Millz uses one.
DJ'Que 5:09 PM - 2 July, 2012
I been using this for composite
www.ebay.com

look pretty good but most places I do video have the connection already.
Steve Dub. 7:46 PM - 2 July, 2012
Quote:

What do you need a 304 for?
djpuma_gemini 7:48 PM - 2 July, 2012
No clue, these guys use them, so I figured I had to jump on board.

I guess it outputs the composite and component much better than the 500
Steve Dub. 8:13 PM - 2 July, 2012
lol you're such a follower! If all these guys started using youtube vidz I bet you would too :P
djpuma_gemini 8:28 PM - 2 July, 2012
lmao.
Nah, it was such a low price I had to bid and ended up winning it.
Steve Dub. 8:36 PM - 2 July, 2012
Quote:
lmao.
Nah, it was such a low price I had to bid and ended up winning it.

That's cool, once you realize you don't need it you can prob make a profit.
djpuma_gemini 8:44 PM - 2 July, 2012
^exactly.
I was about to buy that extron 700 for cheap too.
Joshua Carl 8:52 PM - 2 July, 2012
the 700 is a bit of overkill, unless its dirt cheap.
the 500 is fine for scan converting vga to a composite signal and giving you a nice uniform display on a mix bag of TVs & Projectors on one system.

but the _04 series are their steps forward for HDMI/DVI and Component scan converting for new
TVs and projectors...
Ive mentioned it before.
an HD video (720p) through the 304 set on 1080p looks damn near HD broadcast quality.
and the 480/360 material isnt that bad either.

now we just need something to adjust for these 120/240Htz tvs
(my friday spot is 1/2 60hz and 1/4 120hz & 1/4 240hz... so you can see the difference in the
frames, especially at scene changes in the content)
djpuma_gemini 8:57 PM - 2 July, 2012
I have tvs like that at this one spot, but they also leave the tru motion bullshit on so videos have that awkward look.

So JC,

You're saying the 304 will look better with my spots that use composite and component vs the 500?
djpuma_gemini 8:59 PM - 2 July, 2012
So what are you using to bring video to the 304, just vga?
Joshua Carl 9:08 PM - 2 July, 2012
well, component will always look better than composite.
Its has HD capabilities.

composite is probably the easist cable to run, its one cable.... but its right up there with s-video quality wise.

plus it upscales content to 720/1080i/1080p
where the 500 upscales to pal or NTSC

if you have a bunch of 20-42 inch TVs maybe the 1080p upconvert is overkills.
but if you have anything 42-80 or a large projector it DEF makes a huge difference.

and the ease of setup in the 304 is crazy.
it takes me all of 15 second to get my screen to perfectly fill out to the edges of the TV
and it has on board picture commands, so you can keep you program at 0
and adjust the contrast brightness, color on the unit.

anyone who has a 304 should really read the manual.
the menu's can get deep and you can really tweek things out.

and yes, VGA in.
I use that 15" minidisplayport to VGA and it works perfectly.
djpuma_gemini 9:17 PM - 2 July, 2012
ok cool.
Thanks
Joshua Carl 9:25 PM - 2 July, 2012
djpuma_gemini 9:48 PM - 2 July, 2012
Sweet.

I also go miniDP to vga and a vga cable in between the extron.
Steve Dub. 10:24 PM - 2 July, 2012
But the 304 doesn't have the single video output only the red green blue correct?
djpuma_gemini 10:33 PM - 2 July, 2012
it has composite and component, no s-video out
Joshua Carl 10:42 PM - 2 July, 2012
no the 304 DOES NOT DO COMPOSITE! (IE 1 singular rca cable, usually Yellow)

THE "V" ont he back of the is for RGBHV
"(RGB Horizontal sync Vertical sync) The five-wire cable that is used to connect the VGA output of a computer to the component video input of a video device such as a monitor or video processor."
djpuma_gemini 12:29 AM - 3 July, 2012
Wait, it only does component?

I don't need this thing then. I rarely ever use component.
Shit.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 12:35 AM - 3 July, 2012
Then you should go with the VSC 700 cause itll do composite, component, and s-video out but the catch there is, it wont be HD..........
Steve Dub. 12:35 AM - 3 July, 2012
Quote:
Wait, it only does component?

I don't need this thing then. I rarely ever use component.
Shit.

haha told u man, I knew I looked into that before.

Out of all the places I've ever spun at only ONE of them uses that connection. Otherwise it's yellow RCA or straight DVI

Never been to a place with HDMI either.
Steve Dub. 12:36 AM - 3 July, 2012
Quote:
Then you should go with the VSC 700 cause itll do composite, component, and s-video out but the catch there is, it wont be HD..........

In which case you might as well stick with the 500.
Steve Dub. 12:37 AM - 3 July, 2012
They need to come out with a device that is small AND does all the possible outputs we may encounter and have excellent quality. I'd spend money on something like that.
Joshua Carl 12:44 AM - 3 July, 2012
remixreport.com

you should tune in....lol
especially at 4:38

I run into Component almost everywhere.
mostly because these places out here double as sports bars/restaurants on other hours.
so they all run HD content sport packages.

of all the places I do, only 1 is composite...and Ive almost turned them over to HDMI/Component.
popnwave 12:53 AM - 3 July, 2012
I can see that being the setup in bars that convert.. All of the OLD clubs I've worked in are all VGA and/or composite simply because they've never had to show HD content. I'm pushing hard to at least get component laid down to help futureproof things.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 7:30 PM - 5 July, 2012
OK I thought I understood what these boxes are for but I'm a slow learner and I feel I'm missing something here. Most of the places I spin at I just run an HDMI or Component cable into a Jack on the wall and the clubs hit power, my laptop automatically sends out whatever resolution it decides is best.

My question is, when would I need to use one of these boxes??
Joshua Carl 7:33 PM - 5 July, 2012
when the wall plug isnt there.... and your left with "hacking" (for lack of better terms) into an
already existing video system, that chances are, are running anything OTHER than VGA/DVI

first time at alot of spots the golden question is, do you have a DVD player that can goto all the TVS?
if the answer is yes, your good.

its the places that each individual TV has a cable box that are the nightmares.
but i havent seen too many of those.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 7:43 PM - 5 July, 2012
Ahh, OK I see now. Thanks for the time.
djpuma_gemini 7:52 PM - 5 July, 2012
Quote:

its the places that each individual TV has a cable box that are the nightmares.
but i havent seen too many of those.

12 direct tv boxes. Needless to say. I plugged into one 40"tv and I brought my own 32 and that's it.
Not even trying to think about running to all of those tv's
Niro 6:44 AM - 6 July, 2012
I just bought a couple of 40". The new LCD TVs are super lift and have a slim bezel. It's easier to bring a couple those than hook up to some existing setups. Gonna put some handles on the. Ack when I get home, so they're easier to carry around.
Joshua Carl 10:49 PM - 6 July, 2012
thinking the same thing.
those new samsungs are a lil pricey bust super slim, light and have a great picture.

my only concern is transport.
Niro 12:37 AM - 7 July, 2012
I got the new Westinghouse ones. They were $450 ea. and after gift card. It was more like $400. Super light and easy to stack on top of each other and 4 screws to put the pedestal back on.
djpuma_gemini 1:53 AM - 7 July, 2012
Pics?
Joshua Carl 2:30 AM - 7 July, 2012
hows the picture?
westinghouse is right up there with Dynex I thought. ( i could be wrong)
DJ DisGrace 2:37 AM - 7 July, 2012
Quote:
hows the picture?

my understanding was that there were only a few factories that actually produce the LCD displays, so many brands actually have identical screens
Niro 9:32 AM - 7 July, 2012
I use to think they were ghetto also and they still might be. The picture is good, not as good as my samsung. But the new picture technology will be good enough for video DJing or slide show. Also it's really light and portable with a really slim bezel. I will connect it to my blu ray when I get home from Maui.
popnwave 7:06 PM - 14 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
hows the picture?

my understanding was that there were only a few factories that actually produce the LCD displays, so many brands actually have identical screens

The 3rd tier names get the panels made by the Samsung/Sony/etc factories, but it usually a few gens behind. Sometimes a company (Vizio) makes a move out of that realm and becomes a front runner.

Westinghouse was made by Chi Mei Corporation which also made the Best Buy in house brand.. none of these would fly as my home viewing but in a club environment with fog/haze and second hand smoke as long as your source files are nice who the hell cares.
DJChad72 3:54 AM - 17 July, 2012
i bought a Westinghouse 22" that is 1080p LED and has Composite, VGA, HDMI, and Component. That way I have an easy to flip/turn over test TV, as well as a very portable monitor.

Has anyone tried the StarTek.com converters? I am trying one that goes from VGA to Composite or S-Video. Then using a Composite splitter to feed the club / my monitor. For $80 on Amazon it was a steel compared to the $100-150 price tag else where. This is the one I bought. Funny enough the reviews are all very highly rated and the very first one is from a Serato Video DJ. :)

www.amazon.com

The Radio Shack $50 convertor let me down big time Saturday night which was my first night out. It worked great at home, but had all sorts of trouble at the club.
Niro 4:43 AM - 17 July, 2012
That thing is doodoo. Save and either get the Kramer or look on eBay for an extron. You'll eventually get one.
DJChad72 5:25 AM - 17 July, 2012
So you tried the StarTek? Or are you just suggesting because its not Kramer or Extron its probably not pro grade? Sorry, I have to ask. :) I am normally careful with going with industry trusted name brands. However this is tech that has been around almost 2 decades. The secret sauce to this function has long since been spilled, shared, and reproduced for the masses. So its hard to believe someone really has the market cornered on this and can charge more than $200 for a component like this. You can buy a Sony BluRay Player at Costco now for under $100 now and it up converts DVD to near HD quality. And that is UPCONVERTING. LOL

Also, I assume VGA *is* the best method to output from a Macbook Pro if you are going to end up as composite plugging into the club/TVs. I have all MBP MiniDisplay adapters: HDMI, DVI, and VGA. So I could come out... but seems like DVI or HDMI would be a steeper downward climb for a converter. But maybe not?
phatbob 7:10 AM - 17 July, 2012
It's not about brand names, it's about Pro vs consumer gear.

The StarTech is ok, about the same level as the QuickPlay. Not bad for a consumer product.

But obviously you're in this for the long haul, Chad. I guarantee you'll end up buying a Kramer or Extron at some point in the future, so why bother dropping 50 bucks here, a hundred bucks there, a few times, when you can just buy the highest quality solution now and be done with it?

And yes, VGA is the best starting point for conversion, as it's already an analogue source.
Niro 7:49 AM - 17 July, 2012
Yes, I went thru about a thousand dollar worth of converters and scalers 3 years ago. Yes the technology has been out for awhile, but there's not enough interest to make it viable.
DJChad72 11:16 PM - 17 July, 2012
Do you have a specific model for either make that will do VGA to Composite? I have tried to search on Kramer VGA to Composite and Extron VGA to Composite. But those are some big "buzz terms" and casts a wide net on Google. Which makes the search results very cluttered and not very meaningful.

I got the StarTek today. I will probably start playing with it tonight after the gym. I am off for the next 3 days. So can get some much needed lab time and possibly hit the club during the day sometime to test it out.

One lever I could pull is splitting the cost with the 2 other DJs who do video as well as with the club. I could then just run a VGA cable to the DJ booth and it would make life a alot easier and more predictable. :)
popnwave 11:54 PM - 17 July, 2012
Kramer 501 and 502 will do it.

www.ebay.com
Niro 1:23 AM - 18 July, 2012
Yes the 501 or an Extron vsc 500.
DJChad72 1:35 AM - 18 July, 2012
So I unboxed the StarTech, powered up my MBP, launched ITCH (offline player mode only), connected the MDP to VGA adapter, VGA to the StarTech, and Composite to my 22" test TV.

My macbook instantly detected the external display, and I got the calming light blue screens on both the MBP and TV. I then got the "galaxy" extended desktop on the TV and my main desktop on my MBP. I launched ITCH, clicked Video, and the TV was instantly the full/floating Serato Video screen.

Loaded a few visuals and here is a 20 second peek are the results. It worked so much easier and better than the PC to TV convertor I had from Radio Shack. It took me several hours to get it working, and I even returned my first TV because I though it was a problem with the shared Composite and Green Component input. Come to find out it was a setting on the PC2TV box because it would do Composite, Component, and S-Video. This StarTech simply connected and the picture was perfect. I simply had to set the Serato Settings to 16:9 and Stretch for it to fill the screen.

Watchwww.youtube.com

I will look into the K501 and E500. But its comforting that this thing worked so quickly and looks great (for being composite.)
DJChad72 1:35 AM - 18 July, 2012
PS - when I look at the Serato Video Information Tab... it says its outputting in 1080p. So the StarTech can handle a high resolution picture.
slimmjimm 1:13 AM - 24 October, 2012
Quick Q, didn't want to start a new topic since scaler comes up eleventybillion times.

My new Fri night has S-Vid only, so I kind of hastily picked up a VSC-75 off of fleabay. Any reason I should re-list, other than a DVS-304 having better output?

Club computer runs (obviously) S-Vid out to a matrix with a number of 19" LCDs, and one projector that outputs to a maybe 3x5 screen.

I tested the LCDs only the other day, with one of these www.monoprice.com and it worked fine, but didn't get to test out the projector. I like the Extron, due to the metal housing, but the portability of the monoprice unit is nice.
Joshua Carl 1:36 AM - 24 October, 2012
sadly, S-video can only handle so much signal.

so getting something that pushes HD isnt goin to do you a whole lot of good.

maybe the Extron 500, which you should be able to find pretty cheap
Just remember your not going to see HD until they rewire
tomatoslice 1:52 AM - 24 October, 2012
nobody uses Kramer?
tomatoslice 1:52 AM - 24 October, 2012
Quote:
nobody uses Kramer?

www.kramerelectronics.com
slimmjimm 2:19 AM - 24 October, 2012
Quote:
sadly, S-video can only handle so much signal.

so getting something that pushes HD isnt goin to do you a whole lot of good.

maybe the Extron 500, which you should be able to find pretty cheap
Just remember your not going to see HD until they rewire

Not worried that I can't push HD, and I'm sure a re-wire isn't happening any time soon. This club has had a few updates, and one "major" re-do in the past maybe 15 years, and most of the equipment looks to pre-date the major update when it was a video wall.

I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a total waste of time to run with this thing at this particular venue.

Thanks
Steve Dub. 5:44 PM - 24 October, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
nobody uses Kramer?

www.kramerelectronics.com

I believe Niro has a Kramer and he said although it's more portable than the Extron that the Extron looked a litte better if I remember correctly.
popnwave 5:56 PM - 24 October, 2012
The second hand market on Kramer stuff is a lot harder to find than Extron as well.
phatbob 7:12 PM - 24 October, 2012
Quote:
The second hand market on Kramer stuff is a lot harder to find than Extron as well.

It's the other way round in the UK. I have scored two Kramer 501's at cheap prices on eBay (although one was BNIB), and I have yet to see much Extron at all. Plenty of other Extron gear around, but very few scan converters of the style we're talking about.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 2:44 AM - 8 July, 2013
Anybody know where I can get a remote for the DVS 304 from?? I keep checking eBay but nothing, might have to call Extron.

Also can someone help setup the DVS 304 with a Ethernet cable, Please??
Dj Nyce 4:10 PM - 8 July, 2013
for the remote you'll have to contact extron or one of their distributors. i personally, could not find the remote anywhere. if you can't find it, the dvs can be controlled via ethernet or serial as well.

for web control just plug a ethernet cable into the dvs and into your switch (or router).

on one of the computers in your network browse to 192.168.254.254. note that this is the default ip. if you have changed it, browse to that. the dvs 304 can be set to manual or DHCP. you can see the current ip when you turn on the dvs or in the menu.

also if you are using the default ip but your network is on 10.0.0.x subnet you will need to change the ip of dvs to the 10.0.0.x subnet.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 4:14 PM - 8 July, 2013
Thanks bro, I'll give it another go tonight. The reason I need that remote is because without I can't use the pip so if I can't get the Ethernet cable to work I'm screwed, lol!

Gotta find me a 605........
the SOUNDINSURGENT 11:39 PM - 8 July, 2013
Thank you Nyce!! I got it finally, lol!! Now for some PIP.........
the SOUNDINSURGENT 5:21 PM - 11 June, 2014
I'm bringing this back up to see if anyone has any info on anything kinda designed more for what we do??

The 605 is the shit but that price tag, lol!!

So Josh, Nyce or anyone else found anything comparable to the 605??
Joshua Carl 6:49 PM - 11 June, 2014
304 is the shit!
I have 2 if em.

Can get them for under 100
the SOUNDINSURGENT 7:24 PM - 11 June, 2014
Yeah I have a few of those also and I agree, they work dam good!! Plus very, very portable, lol!!

But no alternatives for the 605 yet??
the SOUNDINSURGENT 4:13 PM - 27 September, 2016
Bringing this back up to see if anyone has found anything that can compete with the 605 in a smaller package yet??
popnwave 8:00 PM - 27 September, 2016
They've migrated most things to 4K products (HDMI) at this point. I think the scalers have pretty much dropped off the face of the earth except for the secondary (used) market.
Dj Nyce 2:42 AM - 1 October, 2016
yep. there isn't a market for upscaling to HD anymore. 4k is king. the 304/605 is still your best bet. i'm still rocking the 304 like a champ.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 5:31 PM - 1 October, 2016
Cool! Yeah I still use mine sometimes.

Thanks for the time and info fellas 👍
slimmjimm 1:55 AM - 2 October, 2016
What are you guys still using them for?
popnwave 2:24 AM - 2 October, 2016
Quote:

There are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO many places with installs that are using composite still (small bars) So the 304 is the handy one IMHO. The 605 is useful if they have a shitty HDMI splitter since that unit has 3 outputs (?) at least.
Dj Nyce 4:43 AM - 2 October, 2016
Quote:

about 75% of the venues i play at have some bullshit connection. the 304 can output to pretty much anything and when it scales up the video is beautiful.