DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Does drinking make you perform better

bboysupafly 12:47 PM - 24 November, 2007
So I'm not a drinker but I notice alot of dj's get really drunk at night clubs, some are good but others are bad.

How does it affect your performace??? Do you get better or worser?

Just a curiosity from Felli Fel stopping the music for not getting his drink thread.
Stakato 3:03 PM - 24 November, 2007
no
DJ_Motion 4:29 PM - 24 November, 2007
I have a few drinks to relax...

IF I get drunk, it only helps me out because I try new things.. I usually come out with some good mixes I would of never thought of in the first place.
lvmez 5:29 PM - 24 November, 2007
one drink is good to relax.
Rebelguy 5:32 PM - 24 November, 2007
The more the merrier for me. I have one promoter who says I DJ better drunk. I only had one drink last night and totally killed it. Maybe it's just a mental state.
marx 5:34 PM - 24 November, 2007
i can drink my ass off. but theres always a line thats not good to cross haha
dirtbag filthy 5:35 PM - 24 November, 2007
sometimes i get whiskey dick
sixxx 5:39 PM - 24 November, 2007
I'll have a few or none. Either way I'm good.
DJ'Que 6:03 PM - 24 November, 2007
drinking at least 2 drinks is good but getting drunk makes you sux i seeb it every weak.this dj gets to drunk and perform poorly.
sixxx 6:18 PM - 24 November, 2007
Quote:
drinking at least 2 drinks is good but getting drunk makes you sux i seeb it every weak.this dj gets to drunk and perform poorly.

seeb?

weak?

to?

You must be drunk right now. :P
Panic City 7:21 PM - 24 November, 2007
Quote:
The more the merrier for me. I have one promoter who says I DJ better drunk. I only had one drink last night and totally killed it. Maybe it's just a mental state.

So does that mean free drinks for me at Cabana? yeaaa!
djdale 9:22 PM - 24 November, 2007
Maybe a couple to lighten the nerves. It can also let you feel the beat better. BUT.......If I get wasted then you should just sit me down and put an Ipod on shuffle. My mixing tends to go to hell in a handbasket. LOL
DJ Prinvale` 9:32 PM - 24 November, 2007
I'm split. Sometimes I take a shot or two sometimes I don't. It depends on where I am at and how the night is going. Friday's are like my "party" nights. The manager wants a party type atmosphere so I play a wide variety of stuff, take requests, take shots with customers. You know, party type stuff. It's fun and I'm not sure how shitty it sounds after I have some jager but I know just one or two usually gets me going pretty good.
DPR250R 10:47 PM - 24 November, 2007
I personally have more fun when I a have drink or two.

Too much and it starts goin downhill.
Izzy 10:56 PM - 24 November, 2007
Quote:
How does it affect your performace??? Do you get better or worser?
Performance? Enough drinks and I'm like the night train with my love machine... strong all night long! Doesn't make me a better DJ though... cuz my mixes are already dope as fuck. LOL
dj A deep 1:19 AM - 25 November, 2007
some rockstar vodka makes me a better dj lol.Right sixx rember u said i mix better drunk LMAO
DJBlisk 1:46 AM - 25 November, 2007
I need it to calm my jitters.
frost-9 2:50 AM - 25 November, 2007
my level of boredom is directly proportional to my level of inebriation
DJ LTIZZZLE 4:06 AM - 25 November, 2007
I like to be a little tipsy. IMO i feel the beat better. I also tend to dig a little deeper for new songs to spin. I tend to take more chances when i'm relaxed like that.
bboysupafly 4:24 AM - 25 November, 2007
haha well drink one for me..............since I don't drink!!!
DJDFECT 4:53 AM - 25 November, 2007
the first time I drank at a gig, I had no idea how to use a rotary mixer. The second time I drank at a gig, I had to take a 30 minute break...
Julls 5:01 AM - 25 November, 2007
Quote:
sometimes i get whisk his dick

Damn dude, TMI!!!
Stakato 5:46 AM - 25 November, 2007
Quote:

You probably mean inversely proportional, unless you get more bored the more drunk you are.

I cant get busy when I'm wasted. Fuck that noize.
sopranosupasta 5:04 PM - 25 November, 2007
I can play in any form. the last time i got like fall down drunk my mixes kinda went to shit. as we speak, i have an incredible hangover.... my head is pounding, thanks Hennessey.
jayfunk 6:17 PM - 25 November, 2007
hahahha...........this is a funny thread.

my mixing goes straight to hell when im pass the level of shots or drinks in my system. a few is coo, but have to cut it off b4 i cant stand in the dj booth anymore.

case in point, i once was so drunk DJing that there was a few dead silent points in my mix because i forgot to move the fader over. and had to sit down because my nose started to bleed. after that i was all over cuz i passed out and had to be carried and driven home. a friend had to take over for me and take my car home. greatest moments in my DJ life =)
vega 8:51 PM - 25 November, 2007
remember that dude from the real world Miami.. was about to have a threesome with that black haired chick and some other girl they picked up.

ended up not doing anything cause he was so wasted, the little man wouldn't get up.

how's that for a performance? missed out on some good shit.
dj luis 9:39 PM - 25 November, 2007
no - there's this really though gig that i wouldn mind getting a couple drinks just to get the pressure out of the head - then again - a bit of pressure never hurt anyone i suppose - so no, drinks only when i get home, feet up...
Alixx J 10:07 PM - 25 November, 2007
My mixes are still tight as hell when i drink, its when i get the fantastic idea to let rip on the crossfader or mic that my masterplan falls apart
DJ Josh V 10:39 PM - 25 November, 2007
Drinking a little helps me get into things a little more but I have to take a piss to much so Im trying to kick back on the drinking.
Izzy 11:01 PM - 25 November, 2007
Quote:
its when i get the fantastic idea to let rip on the crossfader or mic that my masterplan falls apart

Ha! I can see how that wouldn't fly with the bridezilla. But if you're at the club or small gig... fuck it, show your drunk ass skills (especially if its your equipment)
frost-9 11:33 PM - 25 November, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

You probably mean inversely proportional, unless you get more bored the more drunk you are.

I cant get busy when I'm wasted. Fuck that noize.

Nah, when I get bored, I drink a LOT. I mean an Irish-a-lot. And yes, I can still mix even when I can't stand up straight.. It's a talent.
sixxx 11:34 PM - 25 November, 2007
If you can mix drunk, you can play dodgeball.
DjWoody 11:42 PM - 25 November, 2007
I suck eitherway
sixxx 11:47 PM - 25 November, 2007
Quote:
I suck eitherway

Too easy to misquote. lol
B-don 2:10 AM - 26 November, 2007
If I drink I don't drink to much, cause if I do I have to take a piss every 30 min and I'll make stupid mistakes like picking the needle up off the playing record.
Logisticalstyles 2:11 AM - 26 November, 2007
Though out the course of night I might drink a 6 pack of Grolsh, and have maybe 3 shots of tequilla. The managers at my bar promote drinking on the job. And yes, I'm a better DJ when I'm drinking. I'm still good sober, though.
andrew b 2:19 AM - 26 November, 2007
i like to have a few before and a few during. sloppy drunk = trouble.
Izzy 6:15 AM - 27 November, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
I suck eitherway

Too easy to misquote. lol

LOL! Cheap date.
DJ_Motion 12:27 PM - 27 November, 2007
I once opened for a "celeb dj" and it was last thanksgiving. We ended up taking 36 shots together and for the last 30 minutes of the night he played 3 songs over and over and over.. He didn't even know it. He ended up letting a few people karaoke on the mic as he played. Reagrdless to say, he didn't play better while drunk.
djbriguy 2:08 PM - 27 November, 2007
I normally play better drunk.. but i hate doing it... cuz loading up my equipment afterwards is horrendous..

But i definetly think it helps my track selection, because i'm in the same "mind set" as the corwd.
Nicky Blunt 2:10 PM - 27 November, 2007
couple of bers & a couple of brandy's no more or I get too wasted!
Im kinda a lightweight when it comes to drinking!
J_Static 2:33 PM - 27 November, 2007
Quote:
I need it to calm my jitters.

Agreed, first few drinks are to relax me, but I also believe it puts u in a mind set with the crowd and maybe feel the vibe better.
minc2_2000 2:54 PM - 27 November, 2007
haha i would never be coming back if i drank and tryed to dj.
DJ CISCO 3:38 PM - 27 November, 2007
I drink to get me through dealing with the dumb requests and idiots through the night. Being at the club 3 nights a week every weekend is pretty depressing if your not catching a buzz. Drunk people seem 10x more annoying when your sober. So if you cant beat em.. join em...
FlexyD 6:41 PM - 27 November, 2007
Definitly have to have a few
DJ Josh V 2:16 AM - 28 November, 2007
Quote:
If I drink I don't drink to much, cause if I do I have to take a piss every 30 min

For me its like every 10 min. LOL! I hate it.
djnonsense 6:05 PM - 28 November, 2007
I have my best mixes when I'm drunk....not wasted, then it goes to hell. Just in a nice intoxicated state. It's seems like you are able to understand the crowd better because they are drunk as well.
DJ Nevoc 6:17 PM - 28 November, 2007
My name is Alex and I can't DJ... However My Alter-EGO DJ Nevoc CAN DJ and he only comes out when Alex is drinking!!
Djheat1200 6:46 PM - 28 November, 2007
i can read crowds nicely with a slight buzz, but anything after that i get on some yell at you, cut your mother shit, i think shit is sounding raw but im sure that isnt the case... a couple people can vouch for the idea of what im saying here...after they saw me trying to get busy, in one of my most drunken states on turntables and thought it was a good idea to just stay on webcam all night and get wasteddddddddddddddd
CMOS 7:02 PM - 28 November, 2007
I usually smoke a like 70% of a grape dutch before i spin, then about halfway through ill grab a shot and finish the blunt to turn up the fire.
GrandMaster-D 1:25 AM - 29 November, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
If I drink I don't drink to much, cause if I do I have to take a piss every 30 min

For me its like every 10 min. LOL! I hate it.

The trick is not to break the seal boys.... ;)
dj shadow from detroit 4:23 PM - 29 November, 2007
i cant believe anyone would thank they could do anything better drunk.a couple drinks will help before doing a show but after that you get sloppy your mind and coordination does not work together like it should.lol!!!
DJ Young Herrera 4:33 PM - 29 November, 2007
Quote:
If you can mix drunk, you can play dodgeball.

Classic!

Me, I'll have a shot and a beer to calm my nerves. After that...its probably not good. I may have a hennessey rocks around 1 to keep me steady. Much more and it gets sloppy.
DJ Young Herrera 4:35 PM - 29 November, 2007
Shadow, are you at tryst tonight? Thinking about rolling thru if you are.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 12:29 AM - 1 December, 2007
decades ago, it used to, now i just get heartburn and acid reflux.

but an open bar gets the crowd loose and easier to play to :)
jbakerutexas 4:20 AM - 1 December, 2007
1-5 beers = better and better

5-8 beers = oh shit its on now

8+ beers = not good.
dj_soo 4:36 AM - 1 December, 2007
i have a Z-Trip live mix where i guess the promoter was an old friend who kept handing him drinks all night and you can actually hear it in his performance. It's not often you hear someone like Z-Trip play sloppy, but he manages in this mix.

Mind you, Z-Trip playing sloppy is still better than a lot of DJs I've heard...
J_Static 5:00 AM - 1 December, 2007
Nah, it just enhances the beer goggles everyone has on in tha clubs!