Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Audio hiccups, don't know what else to do..

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL3
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
fggs 1:42 PM - 5 February, 2012
Hi,

I'm getting a lot of hiccups and really don't know what to do. I always had a little hiccup but not like every 10 seconds or so. Appreciate any tips, below is what I've done so far.

1- I've followed optimization guide to the letter, nothing

2- Cleaned my records

3- Cleaned my needles

4- Copied the files from the pendrive to HDD

5- Scanned ID3 tags, no files corrupted

6- Recalibrated

7- Increased USB buffer

It doesn't matter which turntable, both have the same problem, so I guess it's my laptop. FYI, this laptop is exclusive for Serato, nothing else installed, not even Office. This is a Dell Vostro 3450 with Core i5 2410M, 4GB of RAM and 500GB of HDD.

I notice ScratchLive is using about 25%, sometimes 30%+ of CPU, is this normal?

Thanks for any advice
2:21 PM, 5 Feb 2012
fggs attached a file: SERATO-dpcisr-report.txt
Download· Permalink
phatbob 2:31 PM - 5 February, 2012
Have you actually rebuilt overviews for all your files, not just rescanned tags?

Rescanning tags won't show up corrupt files.

25-30% CPU is quite normal, and it sounds like you're doing everything else right...
fggs 2:34 PM - 5 February, 2012
Hi phatbob, thanks for your quick answer.

Can you point me on how can I rebuilt my overviews? I didn't find that option anywhere..

I've also notice that the red USB "light" shows up in ScratchLive even in idle. I really don't know what's happening..

I attached my dpcisr report too, hope that helps
fggs 4:11 PM - 5 February, 2012
As an update, I've disconnected the interface and analyzed all my files, nothing changed.

From the report I just attached, usbport.sys seems to be using a lot of CPU. I've searched and found a Win 7 patch which says "This patch cannot been installed on this computer", something like that.. either I already have it or it has some incompability.
phatbob 4:21 PM - 5 February, 2012
This page might be worth digging through...

www.native-instruments.com
fggs 4:44 PM - 5 February, 2012
Unfortunately, follow the thread, went to this page forums.mydigitallife.info(what-it-is-and-how-to-fix-it)

Then downloaded the usb fix script and it checked my usbport.sys version saying it is already updated, nothing to change.

But my problem remains.. I'm hopeless! :(
phatbob 4:53 PM - 5 February, 2012
Oh well, sorry that didn't help.

I'm sure the support staff will help on Monday morning in NZ/US.
fggs 5:06 PM - 5 February, 2012
It sounds like a chipset problem.. This is a clean Windows 7 install, all updates installed.

My other laptop which is a Core2Duo T7700 with 3GB of RAM runs a lot better, but I'm using version 2.1.1 of ScratchLive there.
fggs 10:12 AM - 6 February, 2012
Is it too soon for me to bump? If yes, I'm sorry, but I really want to understand this.. I might have to sell this brand new laptop to buy a new one, if it's the case..
Rane, Support
RafaelM 7:55 PM - 6 February, 2012
Unfortunatley the ACPI issue is very common. I have heard you can turn ACPI off, but that may also stop your computer from being able to be turned off.

See here: serato.com
fggs 9:53 PM - 6 February, 2012
Thanks RafaelM, would that be the cause of "red light" USB in ScratchLive even in idle?
fggs 9:55 PM - 6 February, 2012
Also, there seems impossible to turn off ACPI in Windows 7. answers.microsoft.com
Rane, Support
RafaelM 10:15 PM - 6 February, 2012
Quote:
Thanks RafaelM, would that be the cause of "red light" USB in ScratchLive even in idle?

Yes :(
Rane, Support
RafaelM 10:16 PM - 6 February, 2012
Quote:
Also, there seems impossible to turn off ACPI in Windows 7. answers.microsoft.com

Then unfortunatley you wont be able to use that machine because of the ACPI
fggs 11:13 PM - 6 February, 2012
What do you recommend? Is all Core i based machines affected? Should I be aware of any particular chipset? I researched a lot before buying this laptop and still made the wrong choice..
Rane, Support
RafaelM 11:21 PM - 6 February, 2012
My ultimate recomendation will be go Mac and save some time.

If you continue to shop Windows, it will be tough to see which ones run ACPI. I guess you can always contact the manufacturer - they will have exact info on the machine since they build it.
fggs 11:26 PM - 6 February, 2012
I'm probably being stobbern, but is there a way to confirm this ACPI issue with some test? Have you checked my dpcisr report?

I don't know what would change between PC based and a Mac besides system operating, hardware wise they seem the same..
Rane, Support
RafaelM 12:14 AM - 7 February, 2012
Quote:
I'm probably being stobbern, but is there a way to confirm this ACPI issue with some test? Have you checked my dpcisr report?

I don't know what would change between PC based and a Mac besides system operating, hardware wise they seem the same..

I do not know of a test - would be a good question for the Manufacturer of the laptop as to how to test for ACPI.

Yes I have looked at the report and it does not point to anything specifically - I did notice ACPI is listed tho.

You cant compare Mac to PC - its like comparing Gas Vs. Diesel.

Have you tried running thru the steps in these Videos?

See here:
--> Watchwww.youtube.com
--> Watchwww.youtube.com
fggs 4:42 AM - 7 February, 2012
I was looking for this video when I bought this laptop but couldn't find it, thanks!

I've downloaded DPC Latency Checker and it stays around 250uS. I don't why but I didn't see "USB red light" this time, something weirder happened, my turntable was showing less than 50% of signal, I then increased USB buffer to the middle and got 100%, yet I could still listen a few hiccups.

What is weird is that I never saw my turntable with less than 100% before and I've been using Serato with this laptop since September.

It needs more testing but if someone could spot something to try, please post..
Rane, Support
RafaelM 6:46 PM - 7 February, 2012
What "hiccups" are still present?

Other than the deck reading half signal of course...
fggs 8:08 PM - 7 February, 2012
A brief silence, just like vinyl jumps when using real vinyl. I'm going to reboot and play right now for a while to see if I can get you more details.

Thanks for your great help so far!
Rane, Support
RafaelM 8:26 PM - 7 February, 2012
Sounds good. Make sure the waveforms are not building as you play. Pay close attention to whats happenning and report back.
fggs 9:00 PM - 7 February, 2012
Okay, just played, as I said I can hear it "jump", sometimes with "USB red light", sometimes not. I don't if it helps, but I've downloaded DPC Latency Checker and it doesn't go above 500uS, highest while playing was 393uS.

I've deleted all the music in library with interface disconnected, load them again, analyzed it, checked for lost files, rescanned ID3 tag, connected the interface and played.

At this point I really don't know what else I can try..
Rane, Support
RafaelM 10:48 PM - 7 February, 2012
We have tried everything. ACPI will not let this machine run well.
fggs 3:36 AM - 8 February, 2012
Then I would ask you for a Macbook model, if you can, One that you are sure to run well.

Last time I came here I checked minimum requirements, asked if this laptop were fine and the answer was to buy an i7, but if I couldn't an i5 would be enough..
j-kut 3:13 PM - 8 February, 2012
Sorry if I just come with something that has already been tried,
but for me it helped a lot to disable ACPI-checking in the device-manager (found when expanding the "battery-tree")
fggs 4:08 PM - 8 February, 2012
Thanks j-kut, will test!
Rane, Support
RafaelM 5:19 PM - 8 February, 2012
Let us know if that works.
fggs 9:49 PM - 8 February, 2012
It's frustrating, when machine is idle for a long period, I can play 4, 5 musics without problem, then it starts to dropout. I will run LatencyMon to see if something changes after 4, 5 minutes and cause the problem.
Rane, Support
RafaelM 10:31 PM - 8 February, 2012
You arent suppossed to be leaving the Machine Idle for a long period of time. Leaving it idle and then returning to DJ can cause issues. Allways restart Scratch Live if you are going to be walking away from the computer...
fggs 10:36 PM - 8 February, 2012
Alright, I didn't know that, thanks for the tip!
Rane, Support
RafaelM 10:45 PM - 8 February, 2012
Other than that, does it work well now?
fggs 10:51 PM - 8 February, 2012
Like I said it runs fine for the first 4, 5 songs, then hiccups/stuttering starts with "USB red light".. It needs more testing I guess, I'm already looking for a Macbook.. I asked earlier for a model you know ScratchLive runs without problems. I don't wanna make a mistake again..
Rane, Support
RafaelM 10:53 PM - 8 February, 2012
Any Mackbook or Mackbook Pro that is currently selling on Apples Website will run perfect. Feel free to post a link of a computer you are interested in and we can go from there.
fggs 11:13 PM - 8 February, 2012
I'm looking for this one: support.apple.com

What do you think?

It costs twice the price the one I'm using at the moment
phatbob 12:53 AM - 9 February, 2012
I've got the Early 2011 version of that.

It runs SL smooth as BUTTER.
Rane, Support
RafaelM 5:32 PM - 9 February, 2012
That computer will run Very Well :)
fggs 1:16 PM - 11 February, 2012
As an update, today I noticed my charger although is original, was detected as unknown. After unplugging and plugging back, it was detected as original and I was able to play for 20 minutes without problems. I will close as fixed because I'm about to buy a Macbook anyways..

If I find any new issue I will open another discussion.

Thanks for all your help!