DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Chopping a long mix into into seamles tracks?

HYDRO MATIC 2:31 PM - 27 January, 2012
Chopping a long mix into into seamles tracks?

Did this 1,000,000 times in the past at a commercial level...3 years ago...fast forward to today and I cannot chop this mix down with out getting ticks and skips at almost every track change!

Super frustrated as this is like 1st level stuff...any suggestions or programs you suggest?

Methods tried...
Fission...but adds automatic fades at every cut.

ProTools...split tracks and export as files after cutting at zero points.

open each attempt in iTunes...still no go!

Any post daw app to just drop the markers seamlesly? Thought of trying that .cue thing but not sure if it will apply to duplicated cds?
Dj matty k 2:48 PM - 27 January, 2012
I chopped mine into tracks with audacity there is videos on youtune on how to do it but i did find out when burning the cd it needs to be burned in i tunes as a wav cd with no gaps as mp3 even with no gaps selected you will still get a small gap everytime :-)
Dj matty k 2:50 PM - 27 January, 2012
Watchwww.youtube.com Here it is :-)
HYDRO MATIC 2:50 PM - 27 January, 2012
Audacity never opens for me...

On my laptop I have alot of file intensive plugins that it tries to launch all in one...on my i7 iMac it thinks it needs to luanch EVERY plugin at luanch everytime! Needless to say that aint flying either! ( Mecrury bundle, plus wayyyyyy more)
HYDRO MATIC 2:51 PM - 27 January, 2012
gonna give the garage band thing a try tonight...
Dj matty k 2:56 PM - 27 January, 2012
Im using adacity on my macbook pro i7 im using the 1.3.13 beta Unicode and have had no probs :-) sometime it wont open for me but most the times its fine :-)
HYDRO MATIC 3:09 PM - 27 January, 2012
^^^ any plugnis???
DeezNotes 3:15 PM - 27 January, 2012
Keep it as a wav or aiff or else you'll get the gaps with mp3s. When converting to MP3, there are frames at the beginning and end of each track that gives you that "skip."

I was able to get around this using some program like 10 years ago, but it was a 1-time thing which I forgot soon after. I also remember DJ Happee releasing a promo mix for Mixwell back then as individual MP3s and they didn't have gaps when burning to CD. Not sure how he did that though.

If anybody knows, post it up.
djatrain@hotmail.com 4:56 PM - 27 January, 2012
HYDOR MATIC, I use Nero to track my mixes up. Put your mix in the in the window where it says put audio files, right click the mix, go to properties, click on the index tab, track it up how you want it, hit split files, then when you hit ok it will ask you are you sure, hit yes or ok, then when you see all the tracks laid out, make sure you click take two sec pause out. Then burn.
HYDRO MATIC 5:01 PM - 27 January, 2012
^^^ MAC?
djatrain@hotmail.com 2:47 PM - 28 January, 2012
I don't have a MAC. And I am using Nero 7. I tried it in Nero 9 and it is still a glitch/blimp when they go from track to track. If you just let the cd ride, when you do it in Nero 9.
s3kn0tr0n1c 3:57 PM - 28 January, 2012
yeh i used to just add the tracks in on nero and make sure the 2 second gap/puase/silent was deselected.

Since moving away from audio cd's into mp3 i dont care as my mp3 player has a slide bar and you can skip to wherever you want.
MISTER RIPPER 6:53 PM - 28 January, 2012
All u can do is burn it with no gaps.. it depends on what cd player u use some will play seamleess some will not
DJ Remy USA 7:05 PM - 28 January, 2012
make sure the audio format is wav or aiff if its not you will always hear clicks in between tracks. The reason is that the mp3 file is compressed. You should first make sure your log mix is in wav format then edited into separate tracks from there burn to a CD ensure that it is burned gapless pop it in a CD player and enjoy
djatrain@hotmail.com 8:19 PM - 28 January, 2012
Quote:
make sure the audio format is wav or aiff if its not you will always hear clicks in between tracks. The reason is that the mp3 file is compressed. You should first make sure your log mix is in wav format then edited into separate tracks from there burn to a CD ensure that it is burned gapless pop it in a CD player and enjoy

I will try doing a wav, that is why I might get that with Nero 9.
DJ Neal 8:48 AM - 30 January, 2012
Sony CD Architect. Been usin' it for years.
radikarl 9:39 AM - 30 January, 2012
i use cue-splitter on my old iMac, but unfortunately it stopped working on Lion (hence not useable on my MBP) and is discontinued
www.macupdate.com
DJ GaFFle 1:57 PM - 30 January, 2012
I use Amadeus Pro to split my tracks before putting on a CD: www.hairersoft.com

No skips, no pauses.
DJ Garebear 2:40 PM - 30 January, 2012
I'm not sure if I misheard this but did this solve the problem at all?
Quote:
Keep it as a wav or aiff or else you'll get the gaps with mp3s. When converting to MP3, there are frames at the beginning and end of each track that gives you that "skip."

That would make live a LOT easier if I didn't have to install any extra programs and simply had to burn it as a wave file
HYDRO MATIC 3:41 PM - 30 January, 2012
I never tried doing it with mp3...so that was never an issue...

I was still getting pop before even burning the file to disc so the mp3 verse wave was thing really didnt matter. Honestly the most ranmdom program has this in it...
GARAGE BAND!

You have to do it as chapters and as a podcast...but its way faster and simpler than ABleton and Protools. ( and ive been using protools at a pro level for 10-12 years btw)

goona look at amadeus pro thogh...thanks DJ GAFFLE...
HYDRO MATIC 3:44 PM - 30 January, 2012
Theres some options I wanna explore for future realses...video included...enhanced burning files like web links and so on...plus I doubt that mp3s bieng compressed is an issue. Just dosnt add up in my mind...the laser should be concerned and if its loading into the buffer wave or mp3 shouldnt matter...but ill research more this week.
HYDRO MATIC 3:45 PM - 30 January, 2012
...the laser shouldnt be ...
DJ Remy USA 4:04 PM - 30 January, 2012
Quote:
I use Amadeus Pro to split my tracks before putting on a CD: www.hairersoft.com

No skips, no pauses.

what is your source file just want you to clarify, I always use wave file as my source it never mattered which program i used to burn.

I use toast by the way there is a little niffty program built into it called Spin docter which allows to separate tracks pretty easy to use. You can also name the tracks and bounce to a CD or directly to a itunes playlist
Dj Nyce 1:05 AM - 31 January, 2012
as stated before in order to do this the audio file needs to be uncompressed audio (aiff or wav). this can be done with with several audio editors and utilities.

i use sony soundforge or steinberg wavelab for this task. but it can be done in audacity, fission, soundtrack pro, wave editor, etc.
DJ Tecniq 1:07 AM - 31 January, 2012
Quote:
this seems to work fine for me as well as cool edit pro for pc which is very simple.
Dj matty k 1:08 AM - 31 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
this seems to work fine for me as well as cool edit pro for pc which is very simple.

Same here worked for me very well :-)
a DJ 11:33 AM - 31 January, 2012
Yeah just make it a "gapless album" or as chapters of a podcast. This will even work on mp3s, if you enable it, then open the mp3s in Windows Media Player, they will play gaplessly. (Works good for releasing mixtapes online without having to upload WAVs). For WAVs I'm pretty sure it's the same thing, then burn it.
dj chips 10:12 PM - 21 August, 2013
Thanks for all the info
stevie o 3:00 AM - 22 August, 2013
Drag into Ableton arrange view. Command E makes splits wherever you want it.
Robmixx 4:14 PM - 22 August, 2013
Studio One Pro does it in the project page.
djdisbjohn 5:12 PM - 22 August, 2013
Also, If you would like it to play seamless in mp3 playback, such as on an iPod, Add the split Wav files into iTunes, and then convert them to mp3 within iTunes.
seanbush 1:45 PM - 21 June, 2014
I know I'm bringing up a dead thread but.... Before I started doing video I would use mixmeister pro. I could split the track and burn the cd right from the software as a master and copy more from that. Just thought if add.
nobann 11:02 AM - 24 June, 2014
Best thing to acheive this is free,
Do not split the mix , keep it in a single wav file and use a CUE sheet wich is simply a textfile using wordpad in wich you tell timings where to split the big wav or mp3 (it works flawlessly with both) it's really the best thing for audiophiles who want a pro cd with tracks with 0 glitches

here is an example of a file you should name mix.cue for example:

REM GENRE "Electronica"
REM DATE "1998"
PERFORMER "Faithless"
TITLE "Live in Berlin"
FILE "Faithless - Live in Berlin.mp3" MP3
TRACK 01 AUDIO
TITLE "Reverence"
PERFORMER "Faithless"
INDEX 01 00:00:00
TRACK 02 AUDIO
TITLE "She's My Baby"
PERFORMER "Faithless"
INDEX 01 06:42:00
TRACK 03 AUDIO
TITLE "Take the Long Way Home"
PERFORMER "Faithless"
INDEX 01 10:54:00
TRACK 04 AUDIO
TITLE "Insomnia"
PERFORMER "Faithless"
INDEX 01 17:04:00
TRACK 05 AUDIO
TITLE "Bring the Family Back"
PERFORMER "Faithless"
INDEX 01 25:44:00
TRACK 06 AUDIO
TITLE "Salva Mea"
PERFORMER "Faithless"
INDEX 01 30:50:00
TRACK 07 AUDIO
TITLE "Dirty Old Man"
PERFORMER "Faithless"
INDEX 01 38:24:00
TRACK 08 AUDIO
TITLE "God Is a DJ"
PERFORMER "Faithless"
INDEX 01 42:35:00
You simply change file with the file you want to split use MP3 or WAV
then adjust timing, put it in the same folder with your audio file, and ask your favorite burning software to burn that mix.cue file