DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Working Stronger (DJ Basic Remix)

DJ Michael Basic 8:55 PM - 16 November, 2007
Ok, so here's my first remix that's more than just an Edit.

It's an electro house remix of Harder Faster Stronger Better that breaks down into the Kanye West Stronger track, then back into house.

Enjoy, play it out, lemme know reactions, etc.

www.zshare.net
bourbonstmc 9:09 PM - 16 November, 2007
I like the idea, but the sound quality noticeably drops when you go into the Kanye part. The Daft Punk part has more bass & treble, the Kanye part sounds like it's all mid.
DJ Michael Basic 9:13 PM - 16 November, 2007
Yea, that's just how the Kanye track was produced...both are 320kbps files...I'm not a good enough producer yet to add anything to the kanye track to make it sound "beefier."
a-swift 9:27 PM - 16 November, 2007
Quote:
Yea, that's just how the Kanye track was produced...both are 320kbps files...I'm not a good enough producer yet to add anything to the kanye track to make it sound "beefier."

more than likely, trying to eq the kanye track to match the daft punk track is not going to make it sound any better. i think you might have to just live with the difference in sound production, the downside of doing a remix where all your parts are already produced and mixed.

i listened to the version you threw up in the private thread and i was digging it. actually, i was impressed that you did all that with the tools you have.
Logisticalstyles 9:33 PM - 16 November, 2007
nice transition between the two songs, but I think you can do something to the kanye to make it better. Not even necessarilly "beefier", but at least "brighter". Maybe just bringing up your highs a little. But like I said nice earlier, "nice transistion betweent the two songs."
DJ Michael Basic 9:34 PM - 16 November, 2007
I still need to hook up with you to give logic a test run.

I'm getting my hands on cubase to play with too, so I'll be able to compare the two and see if I can learn to do what I wanna do on Cubase and skip the whole "buy a mac" thing.
DJ Michael Basic 9:43 PM - 16 November, 2007
Ok, making some more tweaks, gonna post a new version in a few minutes, see what you guys think.
DJ Michael Basic 10:20 PM - 16 November, 2007
Ok this one is better...I'll have to see how it sounds on the big system later tonight, but it sounds pretty good over the computer speakers

www.zshare.net
J0be 10:34 PM - 16 November, 2007
nice man! Really like it. Newer version sounds better.
bourbonstmc 10:53 PM - 16 November, 2007
Yep, the Kanye part is brighter now. Definitely sounds better.
DJ Michael Basic 10:55 PM - 16 November, 2007
cool...I did a touch of tweaking to both the house part and the kanye part to normalize a bit more, seems to have worked with minimal clipping (the only thing clipping is the his so it doesn't distort and rumble) so we'll see how it sounds on a big system, but I'm pretty happy with it at this point.
djpuma_gemini 11:55 PM - 16 November, 2007
This shit in nice Basic. You definitely have some skills with tracks. Thanks for this.
djdragon 12:48 AM - 17 November, 2007
Quote:

Use WAV files when remixing pls
DJ Michael Basic 2:01 AM - 17 November, 2007
No problem...hook me up with a wav of the kanye track and the .wavs for all the house samples I used to make the electro part of the track and I'll gladly use .wavs
djdragon 3:54 AM - 17 November, 2007
Solicit the label and tell them you'll do a remix on spec.

Jeeze don't you kids know how to get acapellas?!
ABM 4:14 AM - 17 November, 2007
nice.
dj shadow from detroit 4:04 AM - 20 November, 2007
good job bro.
keep making them!!!
DJ Nevoc 6:44 AM - 20 November, 2007
Quote:

I call labels all the time asking for wavs and high quality MP3s they are like well email them.... I get 128kbs MAX most of the time.
J_Static 4:28 PM - 20 November, 2007
Like Kanye says:

Me Likey
DJ Michael Basic 8:06 PM - 20 November, 2007
Well I played it at Bank Heist on Saturday and it sounded awsome over the big system...I ended up using it to transition from house back to hiphop so I mixed out right after the kanye part so I didn't hear the speed up part, but I'm definately happy with the rest of the track.
COBOL 9:59 PM - 20 November, 2007
Loving this. I think I'll drop it Friday
Dj Nyce 11:22 PM - 20 November, 2007
nice mix.

anyways i've been using cubase since vst 3.7 (1999). hit me up if you need sistance. i have livemeeting and camtasia studio so you can see what i see.
DJ Michael Basic 12:07 AM - 21 November, 2007
Cool Nyce I'm gonna hit you up for sure...I'm actually about to sit down right now and start really messing with cubase so I'll let you know when I need some help.
DJ Michael Basic 3:32 AM - 21 November, 2007
Ok I'm deinately gonna need a tutorial to get me started...there's a lot going on here in this program.
djdragon 6:17 AM - 21 November, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

I call labels all the time asking for wavs and high quality MP3s they are like well email them.... I get 128kbs MAX most of the time.

You never ask for MP3's, then they take you for a chump.

Also make sure you let them know it's on spec.
djskiggz 7:30 AM - 21 November, 2007
Good job Basic!!
djskiggz 7:49 AM - 21 November, 2007
I can make a suggestion...i think when you sped it back up to the house remix it kinda throws you off. I would work on that part so flows into it better. Try working with the instrumental of the Kanye track. I like how you had the "FASTER" "FASTER" part loop and then dropped the house remix. I just think it can flow a little better.