Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Clarification - Itch and NS6 minimu system requirements

Dave The One 12:51 AM - 26 January, 2012
Can Serato please clarify something for me?

I had a lengthy conversation with someone regarding the minimum system requirements for windows 7 (64) which is listed as 2.4 ghz core 2 duo. I was told that a quad core 2.2ghz sandy bridge I7 does not meet the required minimum specs to run itch with the NS6 which i'm sure is not correct. Can someone at Serato please clarify?

I'm running Itch with the NS6 just fine on my Hp Envy 14 Beats Edition with a 2.2ghz quad core I7, 750gb 7200rpm Hard Drive and 8gb ram.

These are the listed specifications below from Serato and Numarks websites:

PLEASE NOTE: These are the minimum requirements to run ITCH with the Numark NS6. For best performance and for use in professional situations we recommend you buy a higher spec computer.

Windows

• 32-bit

Windows 7 / Vista: Intel* processor, 1.8GHz Core 2 Duo; 2MB L2 cache; 2GB RAM
Windows XP: Intel* processor, 1.8GHz Core 2 Duo; 2MB L2 cache; 1GB RAM

• 64-bit

Windows Vista: Intel* processor, 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo; 2MB L2 cache; 4GB RAM
Windows 7: Intel* processor, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo; 3MB L2 cache; 4GB RAM

• 1024 x 768 screen resolution
• Available USB 2.0 port
• Available Hard disk space for music

Macintosh

• Mac OS X 10.6

32-bit: Intel processor, 1.8GHz Core Duo; 1GB RAM
64-bit: Intel processor, 2.4GHz Core Duo; 4GB RAM

• Mac OS X 10.5 / 10.4.11

Intel processor, 1.8GHz Core Duo; 1GB RAM

• 1024 x 768 screen resolution
• Available USB 2.0 port
• Available Hard disk space for music

* Please read this FAQ if you are looking at buying a computer with an AMD processor.
phatbob 1:08 AM - 26 January, 2012
A quad core i7 FAR exceeds the minimum specs, even though the clock speed is nominally lower than a 2.4 core duo.

There is no practical use for a computer where an i7 will not take a massive dump all over a Core Duo.

This has come up a lot lately and I've said before I think Serato really need to clarify their requirements.
Dave The One 3:27 AM - 26 January, 2012
It has to be costing Serato and Numark sales. I'm speaking from experience, if I didn't have basic tech knowledge I would have taken wrong advice that was given to me regarding my 2.2 quad core I7 being below the minimum specs to run itch.

Serato/Numark You should also list minimum specs for Quad core processors for 32 and 64 bit systems.
hamplifier 7:40 AM - 26 January, 2012
i dont understand the minimum spec requirements at all, i run itch fine and im only on a 1.8ghz core duo with 2mb ram with win 7 64bit and its the family laptop too , yet i see all these people complaining they are having problems with laptops much higher spec than me :/

what gives?
Papa Midnight 7:47 AM - 26 January, 2012
Quote:
I had a lengthy conversation with someone regarding the minimum system requirements for windows 7 (64) which is listed as 2.4 ghz core 2 duo. I was told that a quad core 2.2ghz sandy bridge I7 does not meet the required minimum specs to run itch with the NS6...

*blink* *Blink* WHAT?!
Quote:
...which i'm sure is not correct. Can someone [..] please clarify?

Darn right it's not correct...
Papa Midnight 7:48 AM - 26 January, 2012
Quote:
i dont understand the minimum spec requirements at all, i run itch fine and im only on a 1.8ghz core duo with 2mb ram with win 7 64bit and its the family laptop too , yet i see all these people complaining they are having problems with laptops much higher spec than me :/

what gives?

2MB of RAM? How the hell are you even booting past POST?
hamplifier 7:50 AM - 26 January, 2012
honestly itch is running mint for me , it only glitch's when im running antivirus and spyware protection and wifi in the back ground but only after a few hours of playing so i usually turn them all off and im fine
hamplifier 9:12 AM - 26 January, 2012
why would i dedicate one laptop just for djing? like i said itch works fine for me as long as i turn those off while im using it so therefore i would have no need for another laptop and it would just be a waste of money which could be spent on other things
why would i dedicate one laptop just for djing? like i said itch works fine for me as long as i turn those off while im using it so therefore i would have no need for another laptop and it would just be a waste of money which could be spent on other things
pdidy 10:12 AM - 26 January, 2012
Quote:

what is this laptop you speak of.......
hamplifier 7:13 PM - 26 January, 2012
im using an asus k50ij , running windows 7 64 bit 1.8 core duo 2mb ram, running all my music from an external usb powered hdd and using the ns7fx
if i can get itch to run properly i cant see why everyone else is having problems
pdidy 7:28 PM - 26 January, 2012
Quote:
im using an asus k50ij , running windows 7 64 bit 1.8 core duo 2mb ram, running all my music from an external usb powered hdd and using the ns7fx
if i can get itch to run properly i cant see why everyone else is having problems

Well if your not a computer tech, I'd just call it luck. It happens.
Dave The One 7:30 PM - 26 January, 2012
This thread is about asking Serato to clarify the specs for minimum system requirements.
Its turning into a thread about people having problems and others not which is a completely different topic.

Can Serato please clarify as to what the minimum system requirements for quad core processors are?

Perhaps the current minimum.specs need to be looked at due to many people reporting success with systems below the reported requirements.

Desktops and laptops are completely different in operation; there should be specific requirements for both desktop and laptops as well as dual and quad core setups.

Serato itch and scratch live are mostly run on laptops and not every laptop is a dual core laptop.

Again I was told that my system did not meet the minimum required spec and this needs to be clarified before people who are looking to buy itch controllers are also told the same thing.
pdidy 7:35 PM - 26 January, 2012
If u want to ask serato a direct question and have it answered quickly. U should open a help ticket.
pdidy 7:41 PM - 26 January, 2012
Did a serato mod tell you your laptop did not meet spec? Or was it just some john doe ?
Dave The One 7:45 PM - 26 January, 2012
Not a john doe.

Numark; and I almost took the controller back until I found a quick fix to my bug/crash.
pdidy 10:43 PM - 26 January, 2012
seem Numark may need some product training. no worries, stick with serato for all tech/support question, they are much more knowledgeable.
signs 2:45 PM - 27 January, 2012
I'm Using Numark NS6 with an 3 years old Lenovo Thinkpad T61.

2x 2,4 Ghz, 3GB Ram ...
Works fine ;) Even in 4 Deck mode and with FX using!
Dave The One 6:50 AM - 29 January, 2012
I guess I'll give up; this doesn't seem to be an issue worth investigating by Serato or Numark. I'm glad that my system works and that I've found ways around bugs on my own.
I can see why some people would become less active or helpful on forums; When you need or ask for help you don't even get an acknowledgement or response.

Peace and Good Luck everyone.
phatbob 11:05 AM - 29 January, 2012
Quote:
If u want to ask serato a direct question and have it answered quickly. U should open a help ticket.
DJ Sergio B 1:16 PM - 29 January, 2012
Well itch and ssl use the multi cores for building overviews - but not running it. If you get an i7 quad core laptop - but the clock speed is slow - you may find performance isnt as great as one would imagine. Itch isnt made for any sort of "hyper treading" - or in other words - not meant to assign more than one core to run it.

Its true the i series chips - sandy bridge based ones - have higher bandwidth of streaming data than their core 2 duo counter parts...but it doesnt change the fact that itch will rest and use only one core. Where you come out ahead is when your system assigns the OS to one core - itch to one core - etc...but clock speed is still important. If youre getting a laptop for itch - a higher clocked dual core on the same chipset build (sandy bridge is the latest and greatest til later this year) is going to be more effective than a lower clocked quad core of similar build.

But thats just when it comes to the cpu - ram , hard drive's rpm (5400 is fine but you'll strain your cores less in everything when you can stream data off your hard drive faster) an independent graphic card etc....your weakness link can bring an otherwise pretty speedy system to its knees.
DJ Sergio B 5:37 PM - 29 January, 2012
yeah. if you don't know what you're looking for - buy a mac. Altho it doesn't mean you'll be bug free - you'll have a higher chance of success with ITCH.
DJ Sergio B 5:38 PM - 29 January, 2012
(but the same things I said apply to mac's as well.)
DJ Sergio B 12:47 PM - 30 January, 2012
I'm just shocked people are having issues...you live in a fantasy world if you think getting a mac will keep you clear of issues but -- WHAT ARE YOU PEOPLE DOING WITH YOUR WINDOW BASED PCs?!

I mean - honest. do you know how crazy people look at me when I am using my Lenovo for everything and I have no issues? I am not doing anything crazy to get it to work..I just disable my wifi and all is good.

I use to run game booster to disable background services but it really doesn't change my system's performance ...according to DPC checker - it doesn't change a thing.

Maschine for production

NS7FX / ITCH for DJing

VDJ and the NS7FX for gigs that require video

And its no hobby - this is what I do as a passion and for a living.
...I just don't understand what is going on when you guys go buy a windows laptop and skip out on the important things.

Let me break it down:

i3 will work but the highest clock rate of the latest sandy bridge i3 is 2.2 GHZ - don't buy an i3 for DJing / streaming of video or audio. Don't. Do. It.

i5 newest chipset clocks at 2.4 ghz - sandy bridge. If you need to step up now - this is where value and performance meet...Max the RAM (8 GB) - and you should be good to go!

Plus to performance if you have a 7200 RPM (revolutions per minute) hard drive - or even an SSD...pretty $$$ right now tho...almost as much as a new system - and an internal dedicated graphics chip...but not a must - my laptop doesn't have either.

i7 are great - but only if you get a 2.4 quad core or higher- mainstream mostly builds them around 2.2 and 2.7 quad cores for laptops...but other speeds exist. If you must go i7 - make sure you treat treat it like a single core pc - if one core can't handle itch on its own - keep looking!

It drives me nuts to watch you guys who think saving up for a mac will solve your issues - it won't. Go here ( serato.com ) and see if you only see PCs asking for help. Apple have less config options so the confusion of getting the "right one" is reduced...but if you're suck at taking care of your system - you'll buy a mac and suck at taking care of your system.

stop buying your laptop from Wal Mart!
don't buy a macbook from 2008!

GOODLORD!
DJ Sergio B 12:51 PM - 30 January, 2012
...oh and - AMD chipset does not always play well with ITCH

STOP IT! who are you people?! where do you come from?

You know someone brought a low spec pc when they won't list the specs of said pc...and then blame serato!...
Dave The One 3:08 PM - 30 January, 2012
^^^^^
Let's all take a look at DJ Sergio's profile; right now he doesn't have his computers specs listed LMAO!!!!

There is so much wrong information in the above two posts.

Firstly; clock speed isnt the main factor; if that was the case then we could all run itch on a pentium 4, or pentium m 3.2 ghz processor according to the aboves post.

Itch is a 32 bit program is it not? Yet it needs to run at 2.4 ghz when running in a 64 bit OS.

If itch is a single core program then that's great news because my 2.2 ghz sandy bridge runs at 3.2 ghz when all four cores aren't in use.

This doesn't even begin to tell the story with the difference in memory controllers and clock speeds/architecture with ram (ddr2, ddr3) and frontside bus/cache

People don't buy into the clock speed myth.

Serato and Numark have not definitively tested quad core systems.
its apparent they dont care to do so; that's why they won't bother to chime in.
It's easier to wait for 5 of us with the same exact laptop specs to report success and then turn around and claim that they tested itch on such a system and change the system requirements.

If your laptop is working and it's 2 or 4 core and below 2.4ghz just keep it to yourself
let Serato and Numark lose sales for not being responsible enough to clarify and change the system requirements for quad core processors and properly test dual core processors for minimum specs on a 64 bit system with their 32 bit software.

Any newcomer reading this, according to Serato and numark and guys like Sergio and the Mac lovers, don't buy itch or any of their controllers unless your processor is 1.8ghz when running itch in 32 bit windows OS, or 2.4 ghz or above if using windows 64 bit, regardless if it's dual core quad core or hexacore (6 cores) because Serato and Numark state it clearly on their minimum spec for system requirements.

Don't take that chance and lose money buying an itch controller because if it doesn't work with your under 1.8ghz or 2.4ghz laptop they will just point you to the minimum system requirements and say they don't support it.
DJ Sergio B 4:14 PM - 30 January, 2012
Umm I do. Lenovo 1066AJU is my model's number code - and it'll give you exact breakdown of what my model has...as you know PC makers have the same code - with different builds - this one is mine of the V570 model.

Dave clearly doesn't understanding hyper treading. Your i3 never runs at 3.2 ghz.
Watchwww.youtube.com - That is for Dave.

as you were.
Dave The One 4:35 PM - 30 January, 2012
It's an I7, when did I ever say I3? Oh I see; did we get excited because of a little opportunity to write a comment on something because of your Lenovo end all be all laptop?
Perhaps we should re-read the initial post where the specs are clearly posted.

Did I mention how cool you were? You're the coolest. Nan I know so much about computers now because of your coolness and your post.

wow so cool!
phatbob 4:37 PM - 30 January, 2012
Settle down kids...

The take-away from this thread is that Serato need to bring more clarity to their system requirements. We can all agree on that.

The Serato staff seem to have been a bit AWOL lately, hopefully one of them will chime in this week.
Dave The One 5:08 PM - 30 January, 2012
Phatbob; thanks. Absolutely correct. I started this thread because of misinformation that I was given when calling numark about an issue with itch where I actually found the source of the bug and a workaround. in fact another workaround was found by another member on this forum without anyone pissing on anyone or saying Mac is better or mine is better than yours. But what I ran into in terms of support from numark was a bit surprising.
I'm happily using itch without issue on the quad core system that is listed in the first thread of this post; had I taken the advice that I was initially given by support I would have returned the ns6 and said goodbye to itch.

The misinformation is annoying on every level from numark and these forums.
Dave The One 5:31 PM - 30 January, 2012
Here's a link on i7's at 2.0 ghz vs core 2 duos at 2.66ghz
lowendmac.com

Some excerpts: yuck MacBook pros but you'll get the idea about click speeds and multiple cores.

The new 15" and 17" models move from last year's dual-core Mobile i5 and i7 to Intel's new quad-core Mobile i5 and i7 chips, and there's an equally huge increase in raw computing power. Running at a mere 2.0 GHz, the 15" quad-core i7 measures 49% faster than last year's fastest MacBook Pro, the 15" 2.8 GHz dual-core i7 model. The 17" 2.2 GHz quad-core i7 is nearly 14% faster than that, a bit more than you'd expect from a 10% improvement in clock speed.

13" 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo 2010: 3351
13" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo 2010: 3645
13" 2.3 GHz dual i5 2011: 5900
13" 2.7 GHz dual i7 2011, 6796
15" 2.4 GHz dual i5 2010: 4866
15" 2.53 GHz dual i5 2010: 4985
15" 2.66 GHz dual i7 2010: 5564
15" 2.8 GHz dual i7 2010: 5910
15" 2.0 GHz quad i7 2011: 8804
15" 2.3 GHz quad i7 2011: 9886
17" 2.53 GHz dual i5 2010: 4980
17" 2.66 GHz dual i7 2010: 5559
17" 2.8 GHz dual i7 2010: 5837
17" 2.2 GHz quad i7 2011, 10026
17" 2.3 GHz quad i7 2011: 10164

The quad-core i7-based 15" and 17" models absolutely toast last year's dual-core i5 and i7 models. The 2.0 GHz quad-core i7 benchmarks 9.3% higher than last year's 2.66 GHz dual-core i7, this despite having a measurably lower frame rate in Call of Duty 4. (Unfortunately, Macworld never benchmarked the 2.8 GHz 2010 machines.)
Dave The One 6:33 PM - 30 January, 2012
And for comparison; here are my geekbench scores against the macbook pro 2.2 and 2.3 ghz models. Dual core 2.8ghz benchmarks are pitiful.

The Score is 10811

Benchmark SummarySection Description Score Geekbench Score - 10811
Geekbench 2.2.3 for Windows x86 (64-bit)
Integer Processor integer performance 10240
Floating Point Processor floating point performance 14513
Memory Memory performance 7009
Stream Memory bandwidth performance 7460

System InformationOperating System Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)
Model Hewlett-Packard HP ENVY 14 Notebook PC Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3385
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz
Processor ID GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
Processor Package Socket 988B rPGA Processor Codename Sandy Bridge
Processors 1 Threads 8
Cores 4 Memory 8.00 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333 MHz
Processor Frequency 2.20 GHz Bus Frequency 99.8 MHz
L1 Instruction Cache 32.0 KB x 4 L1 Data Cache 32.0 KB x 4
L2 Cache 256 KB x 4 L3 Cache 6.00 MB
Northbridge Intel Sandy Bridge 09 Southbridge Intel HM65 05
BIOS Hewlett-Packard F.00

The mac myth is just that; a myth.
Dave The One 6:35 PM - 30 January, 2012
With all that out of the way; I think Serato and Numark need to clarify specs for quad core processors that clearly outperform dual core higher clocked processors.
Dave The One 7:49 PM - 30 January, 2012
Interesting; you had these problems on the mac?

NS7FX is great; I almost bought a used one from Guitar Center for 899 but it was badly blemished especially around the x-fader and line faders, the feel of it was just incredible though and the sound was punchy and warm.

But my needs were for a 4 deck controller. I left with the NS6; loving every minute of it; I do miss the motorized platters and zen like feel and sound of the ns7 but between the 4 decks and the ns6 and upcoming bridge my head is str8 going to pop off. I just purchased ableton live last week and am learning it now; using my mpd 32 and touchAble ipad 2 app and am floored at what I can do just pushing buttons. I have yet to connect my axiom pro 49; I'm already looking at a bigger workstation space to be able to fit everything comfortably.

PS

That's a lot of music
Dave The One 7:55 PM - 30 January, 2012
Oops I meant between the 4 decks, sp6 sampler player and the upcoming bridge.
Dave The One 3:11 PM - 2 February, 2012
Still no clarification....,
Stroud 7:01 PM - 9 November, 2012
Dave: Don't know if your'e still on this thread, it's kind of old...

I got a similar response from a tech to my question, no explanation of effect of quad vs dual on requirement of core speed. Itch may not be able to take advantage of additional cores (I don't know), but if you're planning on using additional software it will certainly be advantageous.

Keep in mind, I'm pretty sure if only two of an i7 quad's cores are being used, the remaining cores can overclock, producing a clock speed above their normal individual ratings.

I've been using an NS7 since it came out, and have an NS6 on the way to take advantage of the built in FX and the four decks, as well as to have a lighter and smaller controller to haul to certain gig locations (up flights of stairs, long distances over uneven ground, etc.). I'm interested in your comment about the NS7 sound vs the sound of the NS6. Really?

From the sound of it, it would appear Hamplifier is probably not a professional DJ, and doesn't appreciate certain aspects of the issue, like the fact that any problem at all that could stop the music for even a moment out at a job is unacceptable. He also probably just got lucky that his machine was one that played well with Itch and his controller, which is often simply not the case for even intel PC laptops, regardless of their specs.
Dave The One 7:27 PM - 14 November, 2012
I don't think I specifically said that the sound of the NS7 was better than the NS6. It did have a different sound; again, warm and punchy, I wouldn't say better but I would say I liked it better than the sound out of the NS6. Sadly; I sold the NS6 out of frustration of feeling that Numark doesn't support it well. The Bridge was a factor too. I am happy to report that Pioneer has brought me back; my DDJ SX will be here in a day or two.

Lastly; my Laptop continued to work well; no issues at all with Itch.