Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

do waveforms usually lag on lower/midrange windows systems?

Product
ITCH
Version
dont-know
Hardware
Allen & Heath Xone:DX
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
Global Underground 1:15 AM - 24 January, 2012
So I have used serato flawlessly for quite awhile now (MAC). I now got a laptop and its windows 7. Everything works exactly the same, but I have one big
issue. Waveforms. They kind of lag, its very slight, but I could never use the software seriosuly like this. For beatmatching I love using the bars on screen
and counting in my head. I can't do that this way because of the delay. Its really awkward cause my cpu meter shows less than 20%. I was thinking of buying
a more expensive windows laptop (should be much better right?) but if this how it is, looks like I will go back to mac...

What I have tried

-updating all driver on my laptop.
- using the seratop windows optimizing guide (followed everything there)
- anazlying all files
-restarting
- turning of aero
- disconntecting from wifi, diaabling network
- messed around with all the serato settings including usb buffer and on screen max thingy
-different usb ports
-closing all apps and undeed stuff
-a lot of other stuff but its hard to remember

I have read a couple topics on how windows just can't display the waveforms as good as mac. Is this true?

my laptops specs

thinkpad e420
core i3 2. somthing
8gb ram ddr3
7200rpm 320gb hdd
intel 3000 graphics
windows 7 64 bit
i am runnin the latest serato version for windows
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 2:06 AM - 26 January, 2012
Hey Global Underground,

It could be because your graphics processing is integrated into the main processor. Because Scratch Live will always prioritize the audio streams over the visual representation there may be lags when using an integrated graphics card as the processor will be working hard to maintain the audio streams.

The only way to improve this would be to look at upgrading your graphics processor to a dedicated card.

Having said this there are some things to try:

- Try different zoom levels on the waveforms and let me know if they are any better?
- Try different views and let me know if they are better/worse?

Let me know how you get on.

Sam.
Global Underground 2:09 AM - 26 January, 2012
yes different views are better, the vertical one is perfect. I should say:

1)its a laptop so upgrading is a no-no
2) also im running itch

Its awkward that specific view is lagging
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 2:19 AM - 26 January, 2012
I agree. I'll talk to the development team and see if there is a reason this is happening. It could be a bug which needs to be fixed.

I'll talk to the team and get some more info for you :)

Sam.
Global Underground 6:27 PM - 31 January, 2012
In testing it more further I see that its lagging in all waveform views. Sorry for the misinformation. Its the beatmatching mini wavforms that are moving fine. It really makes no sense to me because I know of people who run this perfectly on much older systems (but there mac) I wish I had another windows system to test, then the verdict would be in... I was thinking of getting an alienware laptops (way more expensive than this one) but I will hold off and get a macbook air maybe?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 8:07 PM - 31 January, 2012
The only way to get smoother waveforms really is to upgrade your graphics processing unfortunately. The reason that it lags is because since the processor on your machine is trying to both draw the waveforms and also to stream the audio it is having a tough time. Scratch Live will prioritize the audio over the visual so the waveform may lag from time to time. Having dedicated graphics processing on a machine such as a Macbook means that all the visual elements are dealt with separately to the audio processing and is why it is smoother.

Does this make sense?

Sam.
Global Underground 9:45 PM - 31 January, 2012
My friend runs itch flawlessly on his base 13 MacBook pro which has the same intel 3000 graphics. Is it safe to say that Mac just processes audio better than windows? Or maybe it would be fine on window if I had a Better graphics card. It's a chance too take...