Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

HC1000S SHIFT DJ-EFX (Layers 2,3,4) stopped working Ver 2.3 to 2.3.3

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL3
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
caliguy 9:20 PM - 16 January, 2012
The last known tested working version for the HC1000S SHIFT+Knobs functions for the Scratch Live DJ-EFX to be able to scroll through and select the different types of effects was version 2.2 and version 2.2.2(for SL2 and SL4).

Something was changed in version 2.3 to the current version 2.3.3 that caused the SHIFT+Knob (effects scroll) to no longer work. These SHIFT functions are done while in MIDI layers 2, 3, and 4 on the HC1000S.

Other people in the DENON DJ forums have also reported some other DJ-FX MIDI mapping functions lost in these Scratch Live versions, such as Deck assignment of the effects.

Some of the members here have been very helpful at trying to use workarounds but when will the Serato team officially fix this?

Thank you.
caliguy 4:39 AM - 19 January, 2012
Bump!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Mathew C 8:23 PM - 19 January, 2012
Hi caliguy,

does this happen all the time? I managed to make it work on 2.2.0 and 2.3.3 on Channel 3 CC84, to the Files/Select ultraknob and the to Files Select on Channel 4 CC 84.

Can you run through how you're going about assigning it please?

Are you pressing 'C' to scroll through the data types?

Mathew
caliguy 3:41 AM - 20 January, 2012
Hi Mathew, with all the buzz around NAMM, im surprised your responding today. Thank you.

First of all everything works the way it should 2.2.2 .

You can still map the knobs to anything, thats not the problem. The problem in versions afterward is that when pressing and holding the SHIFT button on the HC1000 plus turning any of the knobs is supposed to change the control value and it doesnt change the value.

Thank you again Mathew.
caliguy 6:56 PM - 23 January, 2012
Mathew is this something that will be fixed by 2.4? Its been going on for a few versions now.

Before posting this problem, I posted on the Denon DJ forums and I stated that I would post back as soon as I knew when this was going to be corrected.

Thank you.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Mathew C 1:32 AM - 24 January, 2012
ok. I'm looking into it now for you. Are you positive this has been logged with us as a bug?

By control value, which layer do you mean? They're behaving in the same way on both 2.2.0 and the latest version for me :-)
caliguy 4:34 AM - 24 January, 2012
Hi Mathew.

I went back and recreated what is going on so I can respond to your question.

Going back to try this again, I discovered that version 2.2.2 is also buggy but you can get the effects scroll to work with the HC1000 in the DJ-EFX by reloading the HC1000 MIDI map file each time you start up Scratch Live. In later versions of Scratch Live effects scroll doesnt work at all with the HC1000.

* I am using the MIDI xml map supplied by Denon named AUTO_SAVE_HC1000 to allow for control of the DJ-EFX functions using the HC1000.
* Specifically in layer 2 , when holding the SHIFT button down and turning any of the 3 knobs on the HC1000 they are supposed to scroll through the different effects of each of the super knobs. Without using SHIFT, the knobs control the dry / wet on the effects when turned.
* For testing purposes I have both version 2.2.2 and version 2.3.3 installed on on my laptop.

In version 2.2.2 :
* In order for the SHIFT+knob functions to work in layer 2 you have to go to SETUP within Scratch Live and load the xml MIDI map named AUTO_SAVE_HC1000. All functions will work perfectly now, but if you close Scratch Live and then restart it, the SHIFT+knob functions no longer work.
* When you restart Scratch Live 2.2.2 and go into SETUP then MIDI tab, the AUTO_SAVE_HC1000 is highlighted and Scratch Live states that this is the currently loaded MIDI map but the SHIFT+knob functions dont work unless you click on the LOAD button. In other words, even though that MIDI map is the currently loaded map, it will not activate the SHIFT+knob functions in layer 2 unless you click on LOAD every time you start up Scratch Live 2.2.2 .

In version 2.3.3:
* The SHIFT+knob functions dont work at all no matter what you do.

In all versions:
* When I click on MIDI on Scratch Live to look at the control values the effects scroll (drop down menu) always shows as not mapped. Even when the SHIFT+knob functions are working perfectly in version 2.2.2, the effects scroll drop down menu show as not mapped (grey box).

Hope this explains better.

Thank you Mathew.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Mathew C 2:18 AM - 26 January, 2012
In 2.2.0 (My early test version) and 2.3.3 the scroll buttons perform in the same way.

No scroll in layer 2. (Open effects is Shift+Layer2)
Scroll through effects is in layer 3, open effects tab is layer 2

If you open the effects tab with layer 2, then open layer 3, can you scroll thru using Shift?

Layer 4 with effects tab open is effects depth.
npmarrin 7:12 PM - 26 January, 2012
Mathew,

Is this problem possibly caused because the same action is defined multiple times in the midi mapping xml for different pages? I tried to load the same midi mapping into 2.3.3 and found another issue as well as the Shift+ issue.

CUE-1(A) and CUE-2(A) on the "A" side of the HC1000 in layers 2, 3, and 4 get transposed and wrongfully control the RIGHT DECK1 and RIGHT DECK2 Right side effects deck assignment respectively.
CUE-1(B) and CUE-2(B) on the "B" side of the HC1000 in layers 2, 3, and 4 don't do anything at all.
4:01 AM, 27 Jan 2012
caliguy attached a file: DNHC1000S_MappingSimple_SSL2.1_Addendum_IM_V01.pdf
Download· Permalink
caliguy 4:05 AM - 27 January, 2012
Quote:
No scroll in layer 2. (Open effects is Shift+Layer2)

Open DJ-EFX = LOAD button (white button, not to be confused with LOAD A (black)) in layer 2,3, or 4.

To clarify: Im referring to the Effects Select from the individual Super Knobs effects drop down box. You are able to scroll through the Effects Select options by using SHIFT+Knob-turn in Super Knob mode in Serato.
* This doesnt work in version 2.2.2, unless you go into Serato SETUP and click on the LOAD button to re-load the Denon HC1000EFX midi map. For whatever unknown reason clicking LOAD each time at start of Scratch Live causes the HC1000 MIDI map file to reset and then it works again.
* In versions after 2.2 this function doesnt work no matter what you do.

Quote:
CUE-1(A) and CUE-2(A) on the "A" side of the HC1000 in layers 2, 3, and 4 get transposed and wrongfully control the RIGHT DECK1 and RIGHT DECK2 Right side effects deck assignment respectively.
CUE-1(B) and CUE-2(B) on the "B" side of the HC1000 in layers 2, 3, and 4 don't do anything at all.

This is the other issue that people are complaining about in versions after 2.2 .

I am going to attach the Denon DN-HC1000S EFX MIDI map instructions pdf file.
* Please note that some of these functions work the same way wether its channel 2,3 or 4.
* The SHIFT functions I am talking about are 16, 19, & 22 in MIDI channel 2 of the EFX map document, 25, 28, and 31 in MIDI channel 3, and 34, and 37 in MIDI channel 3.
* What npmarrin is referring to is 6,7,8,and 9.

Thank you again, Mathew.
caliguy 5:32 PM - 31 January, 2012
Mathew did you receive the attachment?
caliguy 5:33 PM - 31 January, 2012
Quote:
Mathew did you receive the attachment?

I really hope this gets fixed before version 2.4 is released.
G33M0 5:37 AM - 2 February, 2012
Dear Team Serato.

It is broken; please fix it...
My contribution -

My Desktop computer is running version 2.2.0 and as long I load the AUTO_SAVE_HC1000 .xml at startup all of the features related to channel 2, 3 and 4 (EFX) work as outlined in the "Manual"...

Doing the same steps on my laptop running 2.3.3, the "shift button" functions do not work on any of the EFX channels(2, 3, and 4)

Lastly I downloaded Version 2.2.0 and installed it into a separate test directory on my laptop. As long I load the AUTO_SAVE_HC1000 .xml at startup, all of the features related to channel 2, 3 and 4 (EFX) work as outlined in the "Manual"...

Please fix the issue so we dont have to load the xml each time we startup SSL and most importantly please work with Denon (if necessary) to resolve why the shift button is respected/recognizd in 2.2 and not in 2.3...

You guys are the best-est so I'm sure this will get resolved for your loyal fans/users of SSL...

djN8G
G33M0 5:39 AM - 2 February, 2012
Quote:
Dear Team Serato.

It is broken; please fix it...

My contribution -

My Desktop computer is running version 2.2.0 and as long I load the AUTO_SAVE_HC1000 .xml at startup all of the features related to channel 2, 3 and 4 (EFX) work as outlined in the "Manual"...

Doing the same steps on my laptop running 2.3.3, the "shift button" functions do not work on any of the EFX channels(2, 3, and 4)

Lastly I downloaded Version 2.2.0 and installed it into a separate test directory on my laptop. As long I load the AUTO_SAVE_HC1000 .xml at startup, all of the features related to channel 2, 3 and 4 (EFX) work as outlined in the "Manual"...

Please fix the issue so we dont have to load the xml each time we startup SSL and most importantly please work with Denon (if necessary) to resolve why the shift button isn't respected/recognizd in 2.2 and not in 2.3...

You guys are the best-est so I'm sure this will get resolved for your loyal fans/users of SSL...

djN8G
npmarrin 6:06 AM - 2 February, 2012
Matthew,

Have you had a chance to review this issue and if so what where your findings?
caliguy 2:07 AM - 7 February, 2012
Quote:
Matthew,

Have you had a chance to review this issue and if so what where your findings?

Anyone from Serato?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Mathew C 12:18 AM - 8 February, 2012
Hey guys,

I was having difficulty reproducing this so tried on different units and finally got it to work - the xml also needed redownloading and reinstalling fully. I've submitted this as a bug and spoken to the right team. I really can't say when this would be fixed, I had a quick look at the Denon forum too to make sure I was up to speed. We also had a 3 day weekend here hence the delay (not being able to reproduce it also contributed).

Please know it is at our attention now. If a bug had already been logged (which I couldn't find - this needs to be officially done with a member of staff) then this just adds weight to the request.

Mathew
caliguy 7:06 AM - 8 February, 2012
Quote:
Please know it is at our attention now. If a bug had already been logged (which I couldn't find - this needs to be officially done with a member of staff) then this just adds weight to the request.

Mathew

Thats totally understandable. We really appreciate you guys.

Before posting here I found a few help requests relating to this issue but none had been addressed as a bug by a Serato official.

Hopefully its something minor that can be corrected soon. If you would please keep us posted as soon as new information arrives that would be awesome.

Thanks again.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Mathew C 9:21 PM - 8 February, 2012
Not a problem, thanks for understanding. This thread has been marked with the logged bug, so will be included in any fix news.
caliguy 2:49 AM - 23 February, 2012
It looks like this did not get fixed in version 2.4.

I tried it and its a no go.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Mathew C 3:22 AM - 23 February, 2012
2.4 was mainly for 61 and 62 support - although I have had reports of other bugs fixed for some people.
caliguy 4:22 AM - 24 February, 2012
Ok Mathew. I guess we have to continue to be patient. I wonder when the next version will be released.

2.4 fixed the gain issues for me.
Mikkel Thomsen 8:13 AM - 24 February, 2012
I have the same problem..

I have SL 2 - Mac OSX 10.7.2

I have tryed version 2.2.0 - 2.3.1 - 2.3.3

Layer 1 works perfest in all versions.. Layer 2,3,4 for EFX dont work in any of the versions..
Serato, Forum Moderator
Mathew C 2:48 AM - 27 February, 2012
the bug was only officially logged recently - also, glad to hear about the gain issue fix :-)
G33M0 1:38 AM - 28 February, 2012
maybe just coincidental but i fried mine last weekend during a set trying to get it working again... I kept loading the xml file and then all of a sudden all of the lights came on and i smell burnt circuitry...

not good... :(
caliguy 8:15 AM - 28 February, 2012
Quote:
maybe just coincidental but i fried mine last weekend during a set trying to get it working again... I kept loading the xml file and then all of a sudden all of the lights came on and i smell burnt circuitry...

not good... :(

Wow!
Phuture2 12:37 AM - 29 February, 2012
I have been using version 2.2 and its been cery stable for me. I tried version 2.3 and had weird thingds happen so following all of the previous i am sticking to version 2.2.
caliguy 4:54 AM - 29 February, 2012
Quote:
I have been using version 2.2 and its been cery stable for me. I tried version 2.3 and had weird thingds happen so following all of the previous i am sticking to version 2.2.

There are two 2.3 versions....version 2.3.1 and 2.3.3. Version 2.3.3 fixed some bugs in 2.3.1. Now there is also version 2.4.
Phuture2 10:42 PM - 29 February, 2012
Ive had numerous issues with the whole 2.3 versions so i opted to stay with the 2.2 version
caliguy 7:32 PM - 3 March, 2012
Quote:
Ive had numerous issues with the whole 2.3 versions so i opted to stay with the 2.2 version

Have you given 2.4 a test run?
Phuture2 2:30 AM - 4 March, 2012
no not yet! once version 2.4 is released officially i will try it. As i understand right now , 2.4 is if you have a 61 or the 62 series of mixers.
caliguy 4:11 AM - 7 March, 2012
Quote:
no not yet! once version 2.4 is released officially i will try it. As i understand right now , 2.4 is if you have a 61 or the 62 series of mixers.
Yes but it is an official release. It is not a beta test version, and it also has some bug improvements.
6:28 PM, 11 Mar 2012
G33M0 attached a file: fried denon.jpg
View· Permalink
G33M0 6:30 PM - 11 March, 2012
a pic of the damage has been uploaded. I decided to go NS6 instead of replacing it...
caliguy 7:08 PM - 20 July, 2012
This discussion was closed earlier because according to the message this problem was fixed.

What version was this addressed?

I failed to see any notes regarding thix fix in any of the new software downloads.

Thanks.
G33M0 3:41 AM - 23 July, 2012
thanks
Serato, Forum Moderator
Mathew C 11:37 PM - 24 July, 2012
The bug was logged, as the thread mentioned, but there was no fix currently I'm afraid.
caliguy 12:57 AM - 25 July, 2012
OK Mathew.

Thanks for clarifying.

I remain patient.

Thanks again for your help.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Mathew C 3:37 AM - 15 August, 2012
No problems, the HC-1000 is a cool unit and it sux that you can't use it the way you intend. I figure the main workaround (still) is midi mapping these functions manually.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Mathew C 3:37 AM - 15 August, 2012
and thank you for remaining very patient!
caliguy 10:31 PM - 15 August, 2012
Just about everything can be manually mapped except the "Shift" functions, and since these are "Shift" functions on the HC1000 they can't be mapped properly without taking the place of another intended function.

Thanks.
DJMJChicago 7:01 AM - 11 December, 2012
Any news on this? I remapped my layer 4 to control the superknob on/off and beat multiplier but I can't scroll through the effects. I manually select the effects but would like to use it as designed.
DJMJChicago 12:41 AM - 13 December, 2012
Bump.....

Can someone tell me how to map the loop cutter knobs to scroll thru the effects list?
DJMJChicago 7:28 PM - 17 December, 2012
Got it. Changed controller type.

Weird bug though....sometimes the mix knob also changes position when I scroll through the effects. Renamed the profile, deleted and recreated it, created in on another midi channel..same deal.

I'll live with it to have the functionality.
caliguy 2:22 AM - 18 December, 2012
Quote:
I'll live with it to have the functionality.

Yeah, unless Serato finaly fixes this. Serato isnt like they used to be in terms of fixing bugs. They use to be on it!
armed98 8:34 PM - 28 February, 2013
I have the same issues its intermittent, I cant choose the effects.I cant go back to previous versions since I have a Rane 62 so I cant use the product as intended.Does the new beta address this? or do I have to wait another 6 months to get something to work that used to work properly.
armed98 3:14 PM - 4 March, 2013
8 months later and still no response from Serato... Guess everyone is working on Serato DJ and forgot about the folks that use SL.
2:12 AM, 7 Mar 2013
AnthonyS attached a file: AUTO_SAVE_HC1000SEFX.xml
Download· Permalink
Serato, Moderator
AnthonyS 2:21 AM - 7 March, 2013
Hey Guys,

Just popped into this thread by chance but as far as I can see all functionality is as it should be with the Denon HC 1000S.

The basic Scratch Live Playback/Sampling/Looping features work as they should in Scratch Live 2.4.4 and 2.4.3. The shift layers are working as they should allowing for mapping to desired parts of the GUI.

If you want to use the Denon AUTO_SAVE_HC1000SEFX.xml with the Presets as designed by Denon then download and install the .xml. I will attach it to this thread. This has the mappings for the DJFX Shift + History. I would then map the encoders on the Denon HC 1000S to control the desired GUI elements then save the MIDI Preset as a different name in your MIDI Preset list.

Quote:
Can someone tell me how to map the loop cutter knobs to scroll thru the effects list?

1) Load the Denon Auto Save .xml with the HC 1000S connected
2) Shift + History
3) Enable MIDI next to Setup
4) Click on the Effects List
5) Turn the Loop Cut encoder
6) Once the MIDI dialogue is Green and assigned
7) Press the 'C' key until the CC changes to Relative ON/OFF.

Shift Layers are all working.

I'm not in support these days but I will check in here to see how you get on.

All the best.
Mikkel Thomsen 6:26 PM - 12 March, 2013
No mappings for DJFX i that xml.. only the first layer is mapped..
Serato, Support
Martin C 4:09 AM - 21 April, 2013
Does everything else in the mapping work though?

I am pretty sure the file Anthony attached is straight out of this discussion here: www.denondjforums.com

Which states that the DJ-FX should be working with that mapping.

I'm sorry for the lack of response in here, but I will grab a HC1000S when I am back in the office and do some testing to see if it is the same for me.