DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Starting a wedding dj business?

Pa.DJ 5:46 PM - 16 January, 2012
I know I am the guy all DJ's probably hate, another Noob trying to DJ

I feel your pain, I am a professional photographer & videographer who has watched the industry crumble with all the new people entering the profession who do not have a clue.

I am getting too old to start a new career, but need to find another source to bring in income and after the last few years of seeing the ipod dj's who can not control anything and never even considered a cordless mic trying to dj feel there has got to be a market.

Not even considering getting into the clubs or proms market, strictly wedding dj, even possibly working for an established dj ( I believe he pays his guys $400.00)

I just need to supplement my income and survive in this rural depressed area.
I figure I have been to 25 weddings a year for many years so know what goes on like the back of my hand, Unlike some areas, all I have ever seen at a wedding is basic music playing, nothing like most of you do, heck many do not even have any lighting.

Guess I am asking if there is a future in the lower to mid end wedding business?
Dj.Mojo 5:53 PM - 16 January, 2012
Go for it. Friend of mine did it.
He went for the upscale weddings though.
They print a wedding magazine and he is very active on wedding conferences.
Pa.DJ 6:03 PM - 16 January, 2012
Thanks DJ.Mojo for the support

I at least would have professional equipment and the first dance would not be interrupted because windows is trying to update and restart.

We have very few professional DJ's, at the bridal show yesterday there were 2, and one is getting out of the business due to his day job. Photographers on the other hand are multiplying like cockroaches.
Regardless of how nice a product we offer the over supply of wedding photographers is driving down what the market will pay. I am at the point where I would rather try DJ instead for weddings, leaving my Sat mornings open for studio work.
Dj.Mojo 6:21 PM - 16 January, 2012
Be very professional, polite, reliable, knowledgable and charge more than others.
If you are expansive, customers have the good feeling of buying something of quality. Nobody is trying to save money on his wedding. You know what I mean.
Taipanic 6:26 PM - 16 January, 2012
If you plan to do this on your own, I would highly recommend going to the Mobile Beat 2012 in Vegas in February if you can. Seminars all week with true professionals sharing their knowledge. If you are serious and really want to do a good job and not be another "new person entering the profession who does not have a clue" knowledge is King. Weddings are by far the hardest events to do well and have the highest repercussions if you screw up - that's why you make $1k for a wedding and $100 to play a club. Club work is a whole different skillset, but if you screw up it probably isn't ruining the most important day of someone's life.
The next step would be to have quality equipment available. A decent system can run $3-10k, not inclucing music, insurance, etc...
Sounds like the better choice might be to work for an existing multi-op that will teach you what they know and provide the equipment. Not as much money, but a good way to get your feet wet.

Good Luck.
Pa.DJ 7:25 PM - 16 January, 2012
Thanks guys, this is a fantastic place and I am pleasantly surprised at the helpful positive advice.

I do have plenty of insurance, would add the correct coverage of course.
I also know the pressure of a wedding day, working with photography and especially video you really have no second chances. I have some of the equipment already, used in my video business but like any professional would have back ups and get the correct training.

Maybe working for the large DJ in the area would be a great idea for a year.
I often thought about videoing the DJ's just to show what I see at weddings, you guys probably hear about it too.

I just think down the road a decent DJ with a photo booth could be more desirable than a photographer who charges a min of $1800.00.

I have at least 15-20 hrs in a photography wedding, probably an addition 5 hours in a video wedding.
DJ XpoZur 7:47 PM - 16 January, 2012
Hi Pa.DJ,

I feel your pain. I too am a pro photographer and went through this exact transition 2 years ago. There is really too much to this to address it all here but here are some things to think about. I certainly would not try to tell anyone what is right in their life cause there are so many factors, but I can say this.

It was not the solution to my problem. I am a higher priced photographer and to an extent my pride got in the way of reducing rates. I made excuses saying my previous clients would feel slighted. I also had future bookings that I felt wrong about charging them the contracted higher rate if I reduced my rates.

The bottom line is DJ'ing doesn't make me as much as photography.

If you factor in your music collecting and organizing, setup and tear down time, cocktail and dinner music hours you will be making much less per hour than your photography business even if you lower your photo rates.

Good luck in whatever you choose.
Mike_P 7:59 PM - 16 January, 2012
hey guys...i am primarily a wedding dj, but i want to expand and make an extra buck. i'm gonna take up photography. i don't have any experience other than that i go to weddings all the time and it seems like something i can do. over the years i have seen photogs that just sit around and eat dinner and flash a few flicks here and there. seems like something i could do. i'm gonna buy a pro camera and jump right in. i figure i could undercut the other dudes out there cause to me it's all secondary income. who cares if the market is flooded already. i got's to get mine. any advice?
DJ Johnny Falvelo 8:00 PM - 16 January, 2012
PA - Technology has KILLED the DJ, Photography and Videography business !!! Some would argue that it has made things much easier for us professionals, some would also say it has brought down the pricing and made it more of a level playing field for all. Bottom line is, the customer (for the most part, not all) only care about price these days. They don't care as much about quality until they get a shitty product delivered. THEN they are upset NOT at their decision but instead at the person who provided the shitty service.

Technology has opened the doors and made it affordable for alot of inexperienced "take the short cut to success" bottom feeders. They come in to the business paying far less than any of us seasoned vet's did 15 years ago, they slap together a system over night, they post a craigslist ad and they call themselves a business/pro.

It's been talked about to death I know. You get what you pay for, It only makes my work look better etc etc. Well enough about all of that.

I say, GO FOR IT. Buy the equipment you need and DO IT! Offer discounts for multiple services ordered from your company. Get into Videography as well. Now a days you have to be a chameleon to survive. I wish you luck in the DJ adventure. It's fun but it's also work too and just like the photography business. Very cut throat unfortunately.
DjWoody 8:13 PM - 16 January, 2012
Quote:
hey guys...i am primarily a wedding dj, but i want to expand and make an extra buck. i'm gonna take up photography. i don't have any experience other than that i go to weddings all the time and it seems like something i can do. over the years i have seen photogs that just sit around and eat dinner and flash a few flicks here and there. seems like something i could do. i'm gonna buy a pro camera and jump right in. i figure i could undercut the other dudes out there cause to me it's all secondary income. who cares if the market is flooded already. i got's to get mine. any advice?

Blah!
HandsomeRobDJ 8:14 PM - 16 January, 2012
Quote:
Thanks guys, this is a fantastic place and I am pleasantly surprised at the helpful positive advice.

Don't get used to it.
DjWoody 8:17 PM - 16 January, 2012
Quote:
PA - Technology has KILLED the DJ, Photography and Videography business !!! Some would argue that it has made things much easier for us professionals, some would also say it has brought down the pricing and made it more of a level playing field for all.

Technology has killed MANY industries, not only those. I work for a major communications (TV, Magazines, Newspapers, etc.) company here in the USA and I've seen first hand what technology can destroy or make better.

I used to be a graphic designer and it was a pretty profitable job, now everyone and their mothers can be one.
HandsomeRobDJ 8:25 PM - 16 January, 2012
I don't think KILL is the word to use. Not that I'm happy about what has happened but I'd say EVEOLVE is a better word. It's a high speed world that's changing at a high speed pace in ALL industries. Realizing this and thinking ahead enough to see what's coming is what has kept my M-F 9-5 AND my weekend DJ gigs going strong. Not trying to speak against anybody or justify it or anything like that. Just saying it's happening whether we like it or not and the only way to NOT get KILLED is to try to stay ahead of it. Evolve and diversify. Improvise, adapt, and overcome.
DjWoody 8:31 PM - 16 January, 2012
Quote:
thinking ahead enough to see what's coming is what has kept my M-F 9-5 AND my weekend DJ gigs going strong.

That's exactly how I feel.
Pa.DJ 8:40 PM - 16 January, 2012
MikeP, do you really think this is not happening right now. If its not around you I want to be in your world. Many weddings a year I fight for position with a dj or dj assistant taking pictures not to mention DJ's offering photo booths.

I know there is a lot of set up tear down time, there is with video when your doing multi camera setups.

I do not think I am going to get rich doing any DJ work, but if it allows me to open my photography studio until noon, do a wedding dj job Sat night and keep me in business a few years longer it may be worth it.

I stated in one of my first few posts that there are not many pro DJ's around here, but there are a million photographers.

I believe there is going to be people who hate to see anyone new coming into the industry regardless of what the industry is. I am sure a hair salon doesn't get excited when another hair salon opens up in the same town let alone 20 of them opening up.
DJ Nightmare Productions 8:44 PM - 16 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
thinking ahead enough to see what's coming is what has kept my M-F 9-5 AND my weekend DJ gigs going strong.

That's exactly how I feel.

WORD!!!
Mike_P 8:47 PM - 16 January, 2012
i have ZERO problem with new jacks coming into the fold. especially when they have a passion for music and DJing. but when the only purpose is to make a buck i have a problem. the people who have been doing it for years, who have honed their craft and have a passion for it become de-valued because the consumer doesn't know any better and when they find out the difference it's already too late. i don't have to tell you that wedding gigs are a one shot deal. you don't get a chance to re-do if you fuck up. and the client doesn't get their special day back either. i get plenty of people that pass on me because i'm "too expensive", then they later find out that they got exactly what they paid for. the only thing you get for shit-cheap is cheap-shit. i'm sure that you're not too pleased with the folks you mention above, who have no other interest in photography other than to make a buck.
DjWoody 8:48 PM - 16 January, 2012
Quote:
MikeP, do you really think this is not happening right now. If its not around you I want to be in your world. Many weddings a year I fight for position with a dj or dj assistant taking pictures not to mention DJ's offering photo booths.

I know there is a lot of set up tear down time, there is with video when your doing multi camera setups.

I do not think I am going to get rich doing any DJ work, but if it allows me to open my photography studio until noon, do a wedding dj job Sat night and keep me in business a few years longer it may be worth it.

I stated in one of my first few posts that there are not many pro DJ's around here, but there are a million photographers.

I believe there is going to be people who hate to see anyone new coming into the industry regardless of what the industry is. I am sure a hair salon doesn't get excited when another hair salon opens up in the same town let alone 20 of them opening up.

Just ignore him. He's trolling your thread. lol

What city are you in?
Pa.DJ 8:50 PM - 16 January, 2012
Just outside Warren, Pa which seems to be about a hundred miles from anywhere lol.
Mike_P 8:50 PM - 16 January, 2012
how am i trolling by expressing my opinions. i didn't realize my personal freedom to free speech was in jeopardy.
HandsomeRobDJ 8:51 PM - 16 January, 2012
I think he's trying to say you look like a troll. Are you gonna let him talk to you like that?
HandsomeRobDJ 8:53 PM - 16 January, 2012
I PM'd you Pa.DJ. If you really want to do it and do it right I'll try to show you the easy way to get the basics.
Mike_P 8:54 PM - 16 January, 2012
Quote:
I think he's trying to say you look like a troll. Are you gonna let him talk to you like that?

ah ok. carry on. he is correct.
phonze 8:54 PM - 16 January, 2012
Yeah it's best to hook up with somebody and watch and learn at first. Weddings can be mad stressful, it's primarily why I don't do them anymore.
DjWoody 8:55 PM - 16 January, 2012
Quote:
how am i trolling by expressing my opinions. i didn't realize my personal freedom to free speech was in jeopardy.

Because of the way you worded your original post. This thread was going in a good direction until you posted sarcastically. If you would've posted a straight answer than I would've not called you a troll. lol
Mike_P 8:55 PM - 16 January, 2012
Quote:
I PM'd you Pa.DJ. If you really want to do it and do it right I'll try to show you the easy way to get the basics.

itch and autosync
Mike_P 8:55 PM - 16 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Because of the way you worded your original post. This thread was going in a good direction until you posted sarcastically. If you would've posted a straight answer than I would've not called you a troll. lol

but then it wouldn't have been as much fun...jeez
HandsomeRobDJ 8:57 PM - 16 January, 2012
Quote:
itch and autosync

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! No autosync. No ipods. No laptop only Virtual BJ.
DjWoody 9:00 PM - 16 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

but then it wouldn't have been as much fun...jeez

lol
Pa.DJ 1:52 AM - 17 January, 2012
HandsomRobDJ
I would really appreciate that.

I by no means am saying any of this is easy, I know its not.

About passion, I am in a world that everyone has a passion for. I would rather them be a good business person than have a passion for photography. Its the passionate people who do not make money and are killing our business.

Would be like a person with a passion for people and music offering DJ services for free beer and food.
DJ XpoZur 2:07 AM - 17 January, 2012
Seriously pa.dj if you have no passion for the music and are just doing it for business try something else. Maybe buy a few dj gear setups and hire talented people to do the DJ'ing while you stick with photography.
Pa.DJ 2:50 AM - 17 January, 2012
I did not say I did not have a passion for music, I was a drummer and involved with music my entire life. I had a home theater way before people knew they existed, heck even I did not know it was called a home theater.

I am just saying that business will win over passion when it comes to running a successful business. Passion is great and needed but it will take more than passion alone IMO.
O.B.1 2:59 AM - 17 January, 2012
If you do infact have a "passion for music" weddings are not really the best place to fulfill your needs. However, they are one of the better places to fill your wallet.
Also, I recommend you look into LED uplighting...
Henry GQ 5:19 AM - 17 January, 2012
Quote:

lol. i totally got what u meant by this mike. and its kinda sad that someone wants to jump in our profession just to make an extra buck because they dont know how to separate themselves from others. do u see what hes saying dj pa?

u think its easy to sell urself as a wedding dj? it takes years to get the word out to all the vendors and halls and potential clients that u have perfected ur talents as a dj.
sixxx 6:03 AM - 17 January, 2012
I definitely see Mike_P's point of view especially after reading this from Pa.DJ.

"I am just saying that business will win over passion when it comes to running a successful business. Passion is great and needed but it will take more than passion alone IMO."

"About passion, I am in a world that everyone has a passion for. I would rather them be a good business person than have a passion for photography. Its the passionate people who do not make money and are killing our business."

It seems to me you are failing at photography and your words seem contradictory.

At any rate, I say give it a go. Learn as much as you can before you take on weddings gigs alone.
sixxx 6:04 AM - 17 January, 2012
Quote:

lol. i totally got what u meant by this mike. and its kinda sad that someone wants to jump in our profession just to make an extra buck because they dont know how to separate themselves from others. do u see what hes saying dj pa?

This...
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 6:07 AM - 17 January, 2012
Quote:
Guess I am asking if there is a future in the lower to mid end wedding business?

I hate to say it, but this is the wrong forum to get "in depth" knowledge about DJing weddings (this is a good forum with some great wedding DJs here, but as a whole, most forum members are a little "different" breed of DJ}

Check out- www.djchat.com - they have a whole forum section on just wedding DJs - www.djchat.com -

I learned a few things there a few years ago when I was thinking about doing more weddings...
sixxx 6:09 AM - 17 January, 2012
"hate to say it, but this is the wrong forum to get "in depth" knowledge about DJing weddings (this is a good forum with some great wedding DJs here, but as a whole, most forum members are a little "different" breed of DJ}"

Valid point.
Henry GQ 6:57 AM - 17 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

This...

dont u have some jokes to make? maybe u should be a comedian lol
Blackdevil77 3:57 PM - 17 January, 2012
This is one interesting thread. Definitely a great read. Best of luck to you pa. DJ. I'm starting out as a DJ also. I won't do a wedding at this point, no way. I have a lot to learn before I get to that. One thing though I do see those DJ's your talking about that use cheap gear, tacky transitions and awkward mic skills, that leaves me nearly with my mouth hanging open. And a lot of times, the people don't care!!!! I refuse to dj if I can't do it right. I didn't buy cheap equipment for that exact reason. If it can't be done right, don't do it at all. You being around weddings is certainly a help. It seems like a lot of these events, the hardest parts are timing and coordinating the event, the music is easy compared to that. What I just tried to do to gain experience is asked a professional DJ that if I started advertising and getting some gigs, how much of my pay would make it worth it to you to come with me and help me out for the first few gigs? Most of the DJ's around here work for a big company and don't want a roadie. They get made and say "why, so you can go off on your own with everything I taught you and take business away from me?" So far for me, trying to find a way to learn is the hardest part.I've done a couple of smaller sweet 16's and a nice chunk of bar gigs, but I want/need the experience of coordinating a more important event.

Best of luck to you again pa. DJ
HandsomeRobDJ 4:05 PM - 17 January, 2012
Quote:
I'm starting out as a DJ also... I have a lot to learn... One thing though I do see those DJ's your talking about that use cheap gear, tacky transitions and awkward mic skills, that leaves me nearly with my mouth hanging open... I refuse to dj if I can't do it right. I didn't buy cheap equipment for that exact reason. If it can't be done right, don't do it at all... What I just tried to do to gain experience is asked a professional DJ... Most of the DJ's around here... get mad and say "why, so you can go off on your own with everything I taught you and take business away from me?" So far for me, trying to find a way to learn is the hardest part... I want/need the experience...

WOW! Smarter than most of the guys I know who have been at it for years! Sorry your local DJ's are being D!CK$. That's just part of the game. Keep at it and you'll find somebody who's not a jerk and will put you on!
Pa.DJ 4:19 PM - 17 January, 2012
Thanks everyone and especially for the link to the other forum.
I knew most on here were a different type of DJ, I worked with a DJ from Cleveland that I am assuming is in the same ball part as many of you and it was an amazing experience. I spent a lot of time admiring his equipment and work. He was a 20 year old kid with amazing talent. I almost fell to the ground when he offered me a line out for my video.

With well over 100 weddings worked as a photographer that was the only time I worked with a DJ with great equipment. Everyone else uses a computer (or ipod) speakers and if your lucky an amp and mixer. I have often had to help them out with audio equipment like mics and cables when they had failures.

I understand not wanting someone else to get into the business for a quick buck, but when you have a family to support you tend to pick hobbies that can turn into some money.

The one thing I did not say is how soon I plan on doing this, my plans are to offer the services at the bridal show 1 year from last Sunday.

I do video for our local bridal show in trade for a free booth, this year there were 6 photographers to every DJ, used to be 1 to 1. Talking to the DJ's 2 of them this is their last year. This is what got the wheels turning for me.
DJ Garebear 4:23 PM - 17 January, 2012
Quote:
I'm starting out as a DJ also... I have a lot to learn... One thing though I do see those DJ's your talking about that use cheap gear, tacky transitions and awkward mic skills, that leaves me nearly with my mouth hanging open... I refuse to dj if I can't do it right. I didn't buy cheap equipment for that exact reason. If it can't be done right, don't do it at all... What I just tried to do to gain experience is asked a professional DJ... Most of the DJ's around here... get mad and say "why, so you can go off on your own with everything I taught you and take business away from me?" So far for me, trying to find a way to learn is the hardest part... I want/need the experience...

I seriously hate it when guys say the whole "take business from me" deal. Yes it may be true to an extent, but I'm also learning that if you make friends with DJs in your area rather than a hater then it still works out for you. For one your getting guys to respect you and give you good feedback, but also at the same time you seriously never know in this world. One guy may have an opening spot and decide to hit you up because you've helped them in the past. Someone may drop a night and may contact you. Or even it works in reverse and you help out someone else in the ways listed above. Hell even if you don't help out each other in gigs you never know what might happen. I've helped guys in other cities get more heads in their building by simply mentioning their event to friends in the area.

It's simple, pay it forward.
Pa.DJ 4:24 PM - 17 January, 2012
Also as far as equipment I would not go cheap and I always have backup everything.

My photography business is not failing, but its also not producing what it used to regardless of how hard I market. Its a case of supply and demand and a struggling economy. I do not know of 1 photography studio owner in the country who is not feeling the effects of all the new photographers. The problem is these new "photographers" can start a business if they have facebook and $600.00.
sixxx 4:27 PM - 17 January, 2012
Did you know you can start DJing for a lot less?
Pa.DJ 4:37 PM - 17 January, 2012
No, I figured it would be at least a 3K investment.
sixxx 4:40 PM - 17 January, 2012
I didn't say professional DJ.
sixxx 4:40 PM - 17 January, 2012
Or rather DJ with professional equipment.
HandsomeRobDJ 4:43 PM - 17 January, 2012
Quote:
Did you know you can start DJing for a lot less?

Less than $600? An SL box costs more than that. Don't get him on the path of the chump DJ Sixxx. What we might have here is an opportunity to bring somebody into the game correctly : )

As far as 3k... Maybe but that could be self-destructive. 3k WOULD get you the bare essentials. BUT, you'd be presenting your DJ service as bare essentials and first impressions mean a lot. 5k will get you what you need to be above average. If your market isn't flooded 10k would put you at the top of the game as far as equipment.
DJ Garebear 4:47 PM - 17 January, 2012
$3k investment? What are you planning on doing with it? I'm pretty sure if your going to be providing equipment to the DJs your going to need more than that
DJ Garebear 4:48 PM - 17 January, 2012
Unless if your simply grabbing DJs (with their own equipment and music) and providing them with clients....then you can do it with $3k.
Blackdevil77 4:49 PM - 17 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

I seriously hate it when guys say the whole "take business from me" deal. Yes it may be true to an extent, but I'm also learning that if you make friends with DJs in your area rather than a hater then it still works out for you. For one your getting guys to respect you and give you good feedback, but also at the same time you seriously never know in this world. One guy may have an opening spot and decide to hit you up because you've helped them in the past. Someone may drop a night and may contact you. Or even it works in reverse and you help out someone else in the ways listed above. Hell even if you don't help out each other in gigs you never know what might happen. I've helped guys in other cities get more heads in their building by simply mentioning their event to friends in the area.

It's simple, pay it forward.

Thank you! lol it's not like I'm gonna be gigging my ass off, I have a day job as well. If anything he would gain business. If I get a call for a gig on a day I already have booked, I can pass that client to him. I don't have a whole company like he does, I'm one guy, so I can only do one gig at one time.
Pa.DJ 4:51 PM - 17 January, 2012
Sorry guys, when I posted 3K that is what I was thinking before ever joining a forum. That was the number that popped into my head by looking at what the DJ's around me were using and knowing I already had my Macbook Pro, Mics and wirless equipment.

I know realize it will be more especially when figuring in LED lighting and music.
Pa.DJ 4:54 PM - 17 January, 2012
The great thing about not wanting to do it overnight is that you can start off with out speakers or lighting and just use headphones.

I do not want to buy anything with out doing my research but as far as the learning process, I can start now and spend all year building up my equipment.
Blackdevil77 4:57 PM - 17 January, 2012
I spent about a little over 4k just for speakers, another 3k for a mixer and CD players, 1500 for a macbook pro to run serato SL2, which was 500, so that's another 2k, 600 for a wireless mic, then all the accessories you need like table, facade, cables, cases/coffins to protect your gear etc. That's a little over 10 grand right there. Then I got maybe 1500 or so in lighting. This stuff ain't cheap lol.

Just for fun last week end, I went to proaudiostar.com and started adding things to the shopping cart without looking at the price until the end. Just the sound system totaled at $60,501.36 LMAO! I'm a little sick in the head, but was still interesting
DJ Garebear 5:00 PM - 17 January, 2012
Ok so by the sounds of it your providing equipment then. I honestly think your going to spend roughly close to between 4-5k to have a solid professional looking sound system, table, and setup, it won't be anything state of the art but it's a start. But once you get that, the hardest thing is actually finding enough clients. Check out in your area every event planner meeting, dinner, event, etc and meet the people in the business. Simply by checking these out you can get some prospect clients if your present yourself well enough.
HandsomeRobDJ 5:03 PM - 17 January, 2012
Quote:
The great thing about not wanting to do it overnight is that you can start off with out speakers or lighting and just use headphones.

I do not want to buy anything with out doing my research but as far as the learning process, I can start now and spend all year building up my equipment.

Research an SL3, a pair of 1200's, and whatever mixer you're into, I suggest a 4 channel.

I know what's gonna happen when I post this but I don't care...

Please don't buy a controller. Controllers are for something very different than what you're planning on. And don't buy CD players, CDJ's or otherwise. Again, not best for what your planning AND will cause you to stray from the correct path while you're learning. Controllers and CD players are FINE in certain instances, but based on EXPERIENCE learning AND playing weddings, 1200's are the best fit for you.
Blackdevil77 5:06 PM - 17 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Research an SL3, a pair of 1200's, and whatever mixer you're into, I suggest a 4 channel.

Please don't buy a controller. Controllers are for something very different than what you're planning on. And don't buy CD players, CDJ's or otherwise. Again, not best for what your planning AND will cause you to stray from the correct path while you're learning. Controllers and CD players are FINE in certain instances, but based on EXPERIENCE learning AND playing weddings, 1200's are the best fit for you.

+1
Pa.DJ 5:20 PM - 17 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks and exactly what I wanted. I love watching and listening to talented DJ's but I am looking for a decent wedding setup with out going too nuts.

I was absolutely blown away when I started researching DJ, most of this equipment I have never even seen, let alone watched in action.
DJ Garebear 5:23 PM - 17 January, 2012
Having turntables are simply best for wedding not for performance, BUT for the look. Weddings are supposed to look classy and almost oldschool so having a pair of Pioneer CDJs don't really flow with that same look. Even though they may perform just as well, they simply do not fit in the look of the entire room.
HandsomeRobDJ 5:30 PM - 17 January, 2012
Quote:
Having turntables are simply best for wedding not for performance, BUT for the look. Weddings are supposed to look classy and almost oldschool so having a pair of Pioneer CDJs don't really flow with that same look. Even though they may perform just as well, they simply do not fit in the look of the entire room.

+100000000
sixxx 5:53 PM - 17 January, 2012
Quote:

I really don't agree with this. MOST PEOPLE don't really give a crap about what gear you bring (turntables or other stuff) as long as you have the music they need. I'm talking about weddings here specifically.

I love turntables and I choose those over anything else, but in this case, you're giving the wrong advice. It would be best to get a controller which btw would support video (fresh news). It's easy to carry. It's easy to set up. It will be cheaper than say two turntables and a mixer plus an ssl box or a mixer with SSL built in.

Experience and knowledge of music usually make the better DJ... not the equipment.
sixxx 5:53 PM - 17 January, 2012
Btw, if you're going to use turntables, I better see some turntablism going on when you're performing... otherwise, you're USING THE WRONG GEAR.

And, since turntablism isn't really a necessity in weddings, I say no to turntables.
DJ Garebear 5:59 PM - 17 January, 2012
It's your opinion sixxx but I'm pretty sure if we were to have a survey for wedding clients 9/10 of them would say turntables if we had a picture of which they would prefer to see at their wedding. Even thought hey wouldn't understand the functional differences, but you have to understand that people go over EVERY detail for a wedding.
sixxx 6:00 PM - 17 January, 2012
Quote:
It's your opinion sixxx but I'm pretty sure if we were to have a survey for wedding clients 9/10 of them would say turntables if we had a picture of which they would prefer to see at their wedding. Even thought hey wouldn't understand the functional differences, but you have to understand that people go over EVERY detail for a wedding.

Nope. Not an opinion but fact. Go to that wedding DJ website and ask.
ibringthenoise 6:01 PM - 17 January, 2012
I have a different perspective. I have never bought DJ equipment primarily based on "the look". And I haven't busted out my old 1200s for any live performance since back in the day. I concede that some probably dig the way turntables look. But I think most brides don't care as long as they can get their Britney or Gaga on and their guests have a good party. You can laugh but I prefer my rack mountable controller/cd player combo. For reliable tracking in the midst of vibrations and getting bumped by dancers, ease of transport- especially if you have to go up a flight of stairs or load into a tight elevator and setting up in sometimes tight quarters it cant be beat. There is no way I would wanted to have lugged a pair of heavy 1200s or big CDJs to all the places I have gone. That's why my turntables sit at home collecting dust.
sixxx 6:02 PM - 17 January, 2012
"But I think most brides don't care as long as they can get their Britney or Gaga on and their guests have a good party."

This...

Also, it is fair to point out that you can rock 1 turntable and instant doubles to minimize space, transport weight and set up time.
Dj K.Smith 6:09 PM - 17 January, 2012
Quote:

I would disagree with that opinion Garebear. I've never had a client be concerned if I'm using my 1200's, my Denon 3700's, my NS6, or my VCI... I've only recently had a conversation with my boy Mike_P about the type of client you're speaking of that wanted him to use turntables in a coffin (that specific to detail). In all my years of dj'ing weddings, clients have never asked me are you rocking vinyl tonight or cdj's K. Smith, LOL...

Your knowledge of music fitting the event you're entertaining will definitely be what is "showcased" rather than what you're using...
Pa.DJ 6:13 PM - 17 January, 2012
Not really sure how I found this forum, but not realize how out of place I am. :)
I feel like I am on a Nascar forum asking about lawn mower performance.

What you guys do is truly and art and talent. From a guy who goes to 20-30 weddings a year and am set up a few feet from the DJ's no one around here offers anything like you guys do.

I am serious when I say laptop and speakers, the great ones have an amp and mixer.
None have had a turn table, last CD player the guy had cases and cases of CD's he actually used because he did not have a computer.

Its probably because we are in the sticks of Pa.
ibringthenoise 6:17 PM - 17 January, 2012
As far as looks go, most times I've seen turntables it is on a borrowed table, with wires hanging out all over the place. Not a clean, professional look IMO. Kudos to those who do use pro cabinets to house their gear and whose set ups are attractive.

djcraig.net
ibringthenoise 6:22 PM - 17 January, 2012
Quote:

Not really sure how I found this forum, but not realize how out of place I am. :)

What you guys do is truly and art and talent. From a guy who goes to 20-30 weddings a year and am set up a few feet from the DJ's no one around here offers anything like you guys do.

I am serious when I say laptop and speakers, the great ones have an amp and mixer.
None have had a turn table, last CD player the guy had cases and cases of CD's he actually used because he did not have a computer.

There is a place for everything. For all the advances in technology, CDs STILL have advantages over digital DJing. The same can be said for turntables over CDs or straight digital. With every new generation of tech, something gets lost or left behind.
Pa.DJ 6:29 PM - 17 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

There is a place for everything. For all the advances in technology, CDs STILL have advantages over digital DJing. The same can be said for turntables over CDs or straight digital. With every new generation of tech, something gets lost or left behind.

I agree, and I think it would add to the experience if it were made to look more technical and showy for lack of better words.
sixxx 7:01 PM - 17 January, 2012
The best thing to do is this:

1. You have one year, so LEARN TO FUCKEN MIX and LEARN ALL THE FUNDAMENTALS OF BEING A DJ.

2. Learn as much music as you can FOR WEDDINGS. This is a huge variety but it can be narrowed.

3. Choose your weddings wisely. Some weddings require more work than others. Also, some weddings require very specialized music.

4. Learn the ins and outs of contracts and stuff you need to do to prepare prior to a wedding.

5. Don't undercut yourself just to try and get business. Also, don't play your first wedding alone. Ever. Do it with someone who has experience until you gain your own experience.

6. Do get professional equipment but use what makes business sense in the part of the country you are at.

7. Don't disregard requests. At the same time, as your knowledge and experience increases, the requests will decrease.
DJ XpoZur 8:51 AM - 18 January, 2012
Pa.dj I just want to point out another flaw in your strategy.

You said "I feel your pain, I am a professional photographer & videographer who has watched the industry crumble with all the new people entering the profession who do not have a clue."

Now the easy way for me to pick on you here is say yeah, no clue about DJ'ing but that's not it. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you will get good gear take a year to learn good DJ'ing techniques but then what?

The reason you see cheap dj's at weddings is cause that's is what the brides are willing to pay for. How is it not different from the part time photog that got a camera at best buy and is stealing your photo gigs? What is your best possible outcome here? That you have gear you need to get paid a decent rate to maintain and legal music you need to update and time you need to be paid for to enhance your dj skills and you are considered by most to be above average for DJ'ing and you still lose out gigs to new DJ's that don't care to have the same standards as you? Then you'll be on some other forum asking them why you have two businesses that are losing out to cheap alternatives.

I'm not saying don't get into DJ'ing, do it, it's great fun, but if the only reason your doing it is to make it into a business your not doing yourself any favors.

There are only two profitable business models here 1) be the dj that uses legal media, quality gear and has invested time and money becoming good enough at their craft and charges a rate high enough to pay for that and make some extra OR 2) be the guy that has cheap gear doesn't take the craft serious and is just trying to make a few extra bucks.
sixxx 2:50 PM - 18 January, 2012
Good points XpoZur
Pa.DJ 3:14 PM - 18 January, 2012
The more I read on this post the more I realize there is a need for real DJ's in my area.

Even the highest priced dj in town is not using CDJ's, Phono's, or even controllers, heck your lucky to get through a speech with out the mic dropping out some times. (nice when videoing)

I should have no problem working for the big DJ in town who hires other DJ's once I learn the craft and get the right equipment.
DJ XpoZur 7:48 PM - 18 January, 2012
I'm glad that you are taking what I am saying constructively and not defensively. Here is some more of my personal opinions....

Gear owned is never a measure of skill in using said gear. I own (4) Canon EOS 1 pro cameras (over $20k in bodies alone) and all ranges of L glass. I guarantee you if you have me and one of my low priced competitors with an $800 consumer level camera and sigma lens take photos with the other persons gear I would still take better photos.

IMO seeing at least a hundred different DJ's throughout my years as a photog the thing that makes a _wedding_ DJ good has nothing to do with their gear or their personal taste in music. It is all their personality.

So what am I saying here? Well, maybe this is the thing for you as a new career. If that is the case I would start a new thread with a different question... ie "Hi folks, I have been a wedding photog for some time, I have seen many wedding DJ's in action and feel that I have the desire and potention to become a great wedding DJ any advice in getting started?"

But if you are still interested in adding to your bottom line then you would probably be more profitable doing it differently. Since you are saying that DJ's in your market have poor quality gear, purchase a good PA and durable wireless handheld mic. Maybe purchase a DJ rig of your choice but hire someone with the right skills to MC/DJ the event while you take photos. Add it to your services which will set you apart from your photog competition and charge a reasonable rate.

Remember your initial question was "Guess I am asking if there is a future in the lower to mid end wedding business?" I think everyone has answered that NO.

If you calculate your earning potential of your current income as 25 weddings per year @ $1800 min quoted rates you get $45k if you are not booking 25 weddings a year anymore maybe only getting 20 that is a loss of $9k per year, you would need to book 22.5 weddings as a $400 per wedding DJ just to make that up, and that wouldn't include any added expenses for gear, music, advertising. I don't know about your market, how many weddings there are each year, what the winter months are like but that is a tough schedule to maintain year after year. Maybe talk to the DJ you think will higher you at the $400 per and ask him how many gigs per year he can get you.
HandsomeRobDJ 7:57 PM - 18 January, 2012
Feels like a story problem in Math class.
Pa.DJ 8:11 PM - 18 January, 2012
I am taking all this as constructive but a few things I will disagree with.

As far as your point on equipment, depends on what your doing. If you take a prosumer body and glass and get on the sidelines of a football game you will not get what I get with a 1D Mark IV and 400 2.8L IS, so there are times equipment does matter.

Also when it comes to numbers I look at $$ per hour and cost of goods sold, which is a basic principal in business.

If I can do a sports job that nets me $800.00 and a 5 hr DJ Job that nets me $500.00 and I work a total of 7 hours I will make more per hour than shooting a photography wedding.

I am not being a smart a $$, but in my area I believe the wedding prices are falling a long with the volume.
What I am picking up is sports photography because of the amount of equipment it takes to do it, but this will require some Saturday mornings to be free.

This is not all about the money, but when you are self employed, you have to make a living.

There are many options and like you said hiring someone to dj is an option, and so is offering a photo booth and even working for an established dj for a year or two.

I do feel that there will be a market for a GOOD Dj who offers a photo booth would you agree to that?
DJ XpoZur 9:38 PM - 18 January, 2012
I of course am enjoying this discussion I hope you are too and I will always try to respect your opinions and values.

What I was talking about with gear was not what one person can do with increasingly better gear. Trust me, I love collecting gear and I always buy what I feel is the best. What I was trying to say is you put that 1D and 400mm L in the hands of an amateur and an EOS Rebel with a 28 to 300mm sigma 5.6 - 6.3 in mine and I will get a better photograph. Not would I prefer using the cheaper gear or would I get a better photo with better gear.

I don't think your being a smart ass, and I agree your market and just about every other market is seeing an average price per wedding photo gig go down. Taking up another type of photography is an excellent idea because you already have the equipment and general knowledge to move in that direction.

I am glad you see there are other options which is one thing I was trying to point out to you but you are missing some other points. Talking about general business practices, to me ROI is the most important. You tell me how much money you think you are going to spend to get setup and ready. How much money per month will it take to maintain that gear and your media library and advertise/promote, meet with prospective clients etc. How many gigs will you need to do to return that money and make enough to live on during that time? What are your backups? (I assume you have multiple bodies/flashes/lenses) what are you going to do if your hard drive crashes? or a drunk party goer spills a beer on your laptop?

I'm not trying to get personal here but you think that these people who are under cutting your photo business are going to stay in business and you are attempting to follow their business model. I keep going back to your original post for your motivation. If your lower priced competition is succeeding then lower your rates, lower your quality standards, don't take as much time editing and you will still show a bigger profit than from DJ'ing.

I'm still not saying don't DJ. Hell I wish I could talk all photographers into DJ'ing :)

What I am saying is, it is not so easy a _business_ as you basically are suggesting by your initial post which is what some people took offense to.

Now if you were asking from a totally different perspective, say you were a bedroom DJ wanting to get out and try to make some extra dollars to keep up with media costs, buy some newer cooler shinier dj toys and pocket some cash for your spare time than whole different story.

Sorry if this is short and I maybe didn't make all my points clear, I need to head out, I look forward to continuing this thread.
Pa.DJ 10:02 PM - 18 January, 2012
I do enjoy this thread and understand your points and agree with it. I had mis read your earlier post.

I hope I did not offend anyone, it was not meant to be taken that way.
I will be the first to admit I have learned a bunch since I posted this, to say the least I was clueless when I posted the original post. Not that I have a clue now, but a little more educated.

I was told I would never make a living doing photography many years ago, I was a business manager in the car business back then. Although I watched probably 80% fail who tried I did not and made a great living while watching the auto industry crumble.

I do know equipment alone will not make me a DJ, I may never become a DJ, but at least if I give it a go will be with good dependable equipment.
DJ XpoZur 1:12 AM - 19 January, 2012
Good. We have very similar histories and I hope my experiences and mistakes can help you out.

I too have tried many professions in life, I was in the USMC, worked for a large PC manufacturer as a technical instructor but mostly have owned several businesses from paintball store/field, computer consulting/custom programming, video production, photography and DJ.

No one cares about all my camera gear, but it's very expensive :)

I too am musical, played guitar for over 25 years and took up drums (roland v-drums) about 4 years ago because my taste in music grew wider and didn't always include guitar. I have a few keyboards but don't consider myself a keyboardist and I write music using ableton and reason.

My DJ career started because I would always play music from my computer and change songs part way through when it felt right. One day I was photographing a wedding where one of the brides brothers who was an amateur DJ brought his iPod, a turn table, studio mixer and some rented speakers to handle the music. It sounds bad, but it really wasn't bad. The thing that shocked me was he spent more to rent the PA gear than some DJ's charge to do the whole thing.

It was then that I decided to expand my hobby. I bought (2) mackie 450s and a 1501 sub. SL3, Ecler EVO 4 mixer and (2) CDJ400's (because at the time they were the only ones that supported HID). I used a PC laptop and along with my mediocre CD collection bought into a CD pool and ordered as many back CD's as I could, I eventually got a 2nd pool subscription. Being a gear whore and slightly more electronic music oriented, I decided to try the NI S4 when it came out and liked the portability but not all the features so I also got an NS6 when they came out. (I still have them all). I also upgraded to EV Live X 18" subs, I got a ton of DJ lights including 20 led flat par cans for uplighting. I hurt my back carrying all that gear one day so I recently decided to order (2) Bose L1 M1's with two subs each to save my back. I also have a small Fender Passport for ceremonies. I have not used the Bose system at a wedding yet, but they sound great in my basement with DJ gear or drums. (I did do a NYE party with them and they worked out nice)

I had a DJ friend that dj'ed and managed a local club. They had auditions one day to fill in some alternate days to give him some days off and I got the gig. In fact, they later offered me his position which I turned down since he was a good friend. After doing the club a few months the owners who had another bar had me fill in there a few times too. Soon after that people were asking me to DJ weddings and 2 multi ops contracted me to do weddings for them. I then got a residency at a different bar for every Friday, I saved Saturdays for my wedding work. I recently lost that residency to someone who knew the bar owner very well and part time bar tended for him. He has a Desktop PC with non licensed DJ software and 100% pirated media and offered to DJ for beer. This bar has their own sound and lights though I brought my mackie tops to put next to me most nights and when there was a big crowd expected I would also bring my (2) 18" subs. It sucks for me, but honestly even if they lose a few customers or a people don't stay as long the owner probably still breaks even since he doesn't pay the DJ, sad but true.

I don't book many weddings to DJ on my own and I have a multi op that will use me most Saturdays that I don't do a photo gig so it is a nice fill in but it is hard to manage because even though I like DJ'ing, I don't make enough money to support my gear habit. I also do not want to book up my prime days with DJ'ing when I can make so much more at photography but I too refuse to lower my rates so my dates do not fill up as fast as they used to and like you are maybe attempting its a nice filler.

The pitfalls are, the multi op doesn't pay as much as if I book direct. Booking direct takes money/time/advertising and can fill a date too far in advance which may be booked by higher priced photo gig. The multi op also has a number of other dj's that count on as many bookings as possible so during slow times (ie winter) I am last to get a gig, which is really when I could use them most...

So you see, I really am trying to help because I think I have experiences that I can share with you.

In talking with you, I am also really reinforcing to myself what I need to do in my own life/business.

Good luck to us both! If you have more questions let me know, if you want to take this off this forum I can give you my email address.

I enjoy talking to other with similar interests and since most DJs in my area are very competitive cut throat jerks I don't talk with them and since most of the photographers are really not :) I don't talk to them either...lol

Sorry for the long post especially since it's mostly just my personal history but I thought it may help you understand my perspective.
woninfoh 4:41 PM - 6 January, 2013
So let me start with I'm sorta in the same boat as yourself PA i just started doing weddings and corporate events. I have been djing for about 18 years now i started out on some crappy belt drives untill i could save for techs and I have always been a club/rave dj but I've spent the past 10 years working as a banquet manager/Maitrede at a large marriot property and after seeing so many DJ's just come in with basically their home entertainment system i figured i would give it a go> I am EXTREMELY passionate about music but that passion i have plays about 5% in the role as a wedding dj i have yet to do a wedding where i showed up and the party was about me your going to end up playing music you hate and on top of that your going to be playing music you hate over and over and over. To be succesful you have to be passionate about the overall experience you have to enjoy making people smile and have a good time by sucking it up and playing something you might not enjoy but know they will its not like being a club dj your not going to be successful because of your passion for music but for your passion of entertaining and playing a key role in making sure the event is successful. As far as equipment i do own techs and gorgeous rane mixer but i dont use those for weddings you have to think... Is thi something your going to do alone?! I personally work alone most of the time except if i have to provied music for an off site wedding or when the cocktail hour isnt in the same hall as the actual reception so try to plan your gear around how much you can carry and how much you can transport i bought two novation twitch controllers and both of them are about the price of one tech turntable my lighting rig though i spent an extra 300$ on as i did with my speaker tripods the extra price was because they have hand cranks on them so i can raise and lower the rigs by myself without throwing my back out. wireless mics are the way to go but i personally invested in one really expensive shure so i know i have the quality when needed but i also carry 2 wired miss at all time and then 2 really low end wireless shure mics i use the good one for toasts but later on in the evening when the best man is so drunk he cant stand is when you break out that 30$ mic you dont care about him dropping and spilling his beer on. I could go on for hours but my best advice to you as a newly established event DJ is to go into it like a buisness and your passion for music will shine through in your professionalism! Best of luck M8
deezlee 8:56 PM - 6 January, 2013
... or you can bring your 1200s (clean them up and take them out of their cases, they are works of art... p.s. hide the cords) play dope ass funk and soul 45s (and serato), built up your rep by word of mouth and get fun wedding gigs where you play good music all night.
That's what I'm doing, but so far I average about 1 wedding booking a month if I'm lucky.
I get more $ than others in my area though.
It is a lot of work. I've done a few this year where there were 2 music locations and I had to bring 4 1200s.
Music Express 12:02 AM - 31 August, 2013
I have been a wedding dj for 31 years. You have to have a quality service, know how to market to your customers, deliver the promises, and keep the reviews coming to your business!
WantingToLearn 3:58 PM - 20 January, 2016
Having played in a live band for over 15 years in the 70's and 80's i wouldn't think there would be that much difference in providing music for a wedding except for the pre recorded music.Would hooking a laptop into a good PA system do the job? I tried it with my PA with MP3 songs and it sounds pretty good.Just asking here.I have alot of expensive equipment left over from my band playing days.Guitar & Bass Amps and a 4 channel PA system i bought a few years ago.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:17 PM - 20 January, 2016
Quote:
Having played in a live band for over 15 years in the 70's and 80's i wouldn't think there would be that much difference in providing music for a wedding except for the pre recorded music.Would hooking a laptop into a good PA system do the job? .

youll need to add a catalitic converter
WantingToLearn 5:09 PM - 20 January, 2016
LOL.You realise alot of the live bands back in the day were pretty ticked off at you DJ's for taking our gigs away.Was it our fault you lost your butt over Disco going south?
DJ Reflex 2:54 AM - 21 January, 2016
I have a buddy that used to be in a band and now wants to get into the DJ biz. Your question about just playing songs off a computer is valid, but much more complicated than that.

Bands at weddings bring musical talent, showmanship, personal interactions, and plenty of gear. They benefit from the showmanship and personal touches in their music, but they lack in song selection. Bands are usually locked into a specific genre or only select cover tunes.

Dj's at weddings bring a lot of the same gear, a bit of showmanship, and a boat load of music! I have no musical talent, but I do bring a sense of personal interaction and showmanship to a gig by reading the crowd, interacting on the mic, and creating a mood with my music selection. I also make a visual presence with my turntables and "performance DJing" (to some degree). Since I can play vastly more music styles than a band, I can set the tone with whatever vibe the crowd has for the night.

Are DJing and playing in a band the same thing??? NO.

You might get away with "just playing music from your laptop", but you've just lost the showmanship and personal interactions that you had as a band. Without these two components, you might as well not even be there - just throw a playlist on iTunes and take a 4 hour nap in the parking lot.

You will have to adapt your business to fit the DJ mantra. Might be easy or possibly a difficult transition... good luck.
WantingToLearn 3:36 AM - 21 January, 2016
Thanks DJ Reflex for your advice.What equipment would you buy starting out besides using a laptop or computer to play the music on? I thought i'd try my skill at the campground this summer to practice.We had a guy doing karioke last summer.My dad had his band for over 30 years and we played alot of wedding receptions.I recall we announced the wedding party had arrived and introduced the wedding party;the bridal dance, cutting the cake, the dollar dance. and the garter and flower toss.I would think it would all be about the bride and groom and the music would be second in the background.I do have speaking skills and have no problems talking to a crowd.I would think if you talked to much it would be a minus.
DJ Reflex 12:14 AM - 22 January, 2016
Any DJ on this forum would tell you that mixing skills and song selection are the essentials. Just playing one song after another on iTunes probably won't suffice. You'll need a DJ mixer and/or controller to be able to merge from one song to the next without gaps or dead air. I know iTunes can do this with auto-settings, but the more you do manually, the better.

If you're not familiar with the concept of "mixing" music, you might want to investigate that aspect. Although not a top priority of weddings DJ's per se, it IS a fundamental skill that most DJ's acquire.
WeddingComposer 10:06 PM - 11 December, 2019
Theres a new site that just launched, weddingcomposers.com. They will be pre qualifying leads so you're not wasting time talking to people who you cant help anyway. They only charge a percentage of the job so no paying for leads that might not go anywhere, check them out. weddincomposers.com/vendor