DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Serato hardware with Virtual DJ

Josh B 3:16 AM - 16 January, 2012
Hi, for the last few years i've been mixing with Virtual DJ and a Hercules RMX (which has an inbuilt soundcard. Now I've recently purchased Serato (FOR MAC) and what i'm having trouble with is using Virtual DJ with Serato as the soundcard.. Is there a way of DJing this way? I know you can on PC, but havent managed with MAC.
My mixer is the Rane Empath 3 channel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
DJ Tecniq 3:20 AM - 16 January, 2012
Quote:
Hi, for the last few years i've been mixing with Virtual DJ and a Hercules RMX (which has an inbuilt soundcard. Now I've recently purchased Serato (FOR MAC) and what i'm having trouble with is using Virtual DJ with Serato as the soundcard.. Is there a way of DJing this way? I know you can on PC, but havent managed with MAC.

Not sure this is possible..You'd need either SL1, SL2, SL3, or SL4 soundcard.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 3:29 AM - 16 January, 2012
Yup you'll need a RANE interface.
DJ Tecniq 3:33 AM - 16 January, 2012
Quote:

Why would you even purchase Serato..the software is FREE..the serato box is all you need. If you payed for serato software u got ripped off man :(
Josh B 3:39 AM - 16 January, 2012
Yes i have Serato SL 3 already
Josh B 4:04 AM - 16 January, 2012
i havent paid for the software (downloaded it for free) i have purchased the SL 3.
Jiggy Flipp L.O.T 4:10 AM - 16 January, 2012
Short answer , NO. Not on a Mac
DJ Tecniq 4:28 AM - 16 January, 2012
Quote:
i havent paid for the software (downloaded it for free) i have purchased the SL 3.
Bro not to be mean or anything..but why the hell do you want to use virtual dj hardware with Serato? Just use serato and the SL3 it blows that virtual dj soundcard out the water.
DJ Unique 4:38 AM - 16 January, 2012
It's the other way around. He wants to use SL3 on Virtual DJ software.

Josh B - Since you have a great mixer and an SL3 you should give SSL software a try. I know you might be more comfortable using familiar software, however once you get used to SSL, I think you'll like it better.
DJ Tecniq 4:42 AM - 16 January, 2012
Quote:
It's the other way around. He wants to use SL3 on Virtual DJ software.
facepalm..
the SOUNDINSURGENT 5:14 AM - 16 January, 2012
Heres how I do it, Watchwww.youtube.com
My reasons for using VDJ or Serato is with VDJ I can customize it anyway I want. I can use 4 decks with 2 tables and have control over all 4, I use a PC so video runs smoother then VSL, timecode is just as tight as Serato. I dont understand all the hate or dislike for VDJ but yet when I look through the Serato Scratch Live Feature Suggestions VDJ can do most if not everything people ask for............
willythekidd 5:17 AM - 16 January, 2012
ssl is so easy to learn that i taught my monkey how to dj on it...when i tried to teach him on virtual dj he just got angry and threw his feces at the computer.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 5:20 AM - 16 January, 2012
How hard is to load a track and start your turntable, with any software??
DJ Tecniq 5:32 AM - 16 January, 2012
I hate how in virtual dj it displays the bpm but the bpm that's playing is nowhere near the original bpm..i don't use virtual dj but we have it at the club for when im not there..it never displays the correct bpm..all i did was load a bunch of my intro's and it doesn't read bpm's correctly..serato has no problem.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 5:40 AM - 16 January, 2012
I'm not tryin to get into a what's better here, but I have the same problem with Serato, its always doubling my bpms, lol! I was just showing the guy how to use the SL3 with VDJ and be able to use Serato without having to disconnect anything.
It doesn't matter though, we use what works best for us.....
willythekidd 5:42 AM - 16 January, 2012
Quote:
How hard is to load a track and start your turntable, with any software??

i know my way around computers and i had several problems with it. i'll spare the details, but i have to also mention how horrible vdj's support is...and i wasn't one of those kids running around their forum with a cracked version...i was a poor student who saved money to buy VDJ as it was the cheapest option available. waste of cash. also that interface and the the skins are ugggggggggggly and cluttered.

to the op: give SSL a try...VDJ was my first dvs and i swore by it until i tried SSL. i hear vdj 7 is better but i have no need to switch. try both since you have the hardware and see what you like.

in addition, all these companies who promote their entry level products as professional units get no love from me. i know they are all in business to make a buck...but i can't justify supporting a company that is willing to make a buck at the expense of the dj culture. i don't care what software you use to rock a crowd...i'd just rather give my money to a company who lives, breaths, and dies deejaying such as serato and rane.
DJ Tecniq 5:55 AM - 16 January, 2012
Hahaha..that bring up another discussion I was at a house party spinnin with a friend who has dicers..well the laptop we were using wasn't ours it was a Lenovo computer..anyways we thought the dicers would work sadly they didn't. We even had the latest version of serato and installed drivers for the dicers..one of the dicers lights just kept going in circles...so we decided to try my mac...LOL no problem at all worked soon as we hooked em up.
skinnyguy 7:00 AM - 16 January, 2012
but at least he's running video on his pc....and it can do a lot of things ppl have been suggesting for vsl too, as he stated earlier.
Fabs 9:05 AM - 16 January, 2012
Why on earth would you ever use Virtual DJ ?
Josh B 11:59 AM - 16 January, 2012
Thank you to you helpful people. settle the f**k down to everyone else. Virtual DJ works perfectly great for me and I've supported a good few A class acts using it. I've only started using Serato and I've just received a job as a residency DJ. So while I teach myself Serato a bit more (not just boring old mix 8 bars of one song into the other) im going to use VDJ which i know very well.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 4:46 PM - 16 January, 2012
1. Connect your Rane hardware to the computer

2. Open your MAC preferences and click “Sound”

3. Choose Sl-2 / Sl-3 / Sl-4 / Sixty Eight by clicking on it and then exit that screen (The TTM57 has different steps to connect and is covered at the end of this article)

4. Open Virtual Dj and click the “Configure” button in the upper right hand portion of the screen

5. Click the drop down menu next to “Outputs”. Regardless if you are using a 2 channel device like the SL-2 you will still want to select “3 lines mixer”

6. Choose Chan 1&2 : Deck 1 / Chan 3&4 : Deck 2 / Chan 5&6 Samples/Preview and click Apply

Output connections

All connections should be made to LINE level inputs on your mixer

Sl-2. Connect Left deck out (deck 1 in software) and Right deck out (deck 2 in software) to your mixer

Sl-3. Connect Aux out (deck 1 in software) and Left Deck out (deck 2 in software) and Right Deck out (sample player) to your mixer

Sl-4. Connect Output 1 (deck 1 in software) and 0utput 2 (deck 2 in software) and Output 3 (sample player) to your mixer

Sixty Eight. Set the input selector knob above Channel 1 to USB1(deck one in software), set Channel 2 to USB2 (deck 2 in software) and Channel 3 to USB 3 (sample player)

TTM57Set up and Connection

1. Connect your TTM57 to the computer

2. Open your MAC preferences and click “Sound”

3. Choose “VirtualDj Advanced Audio” and close the screen

4. Open Virtual Dj and click the “Configure” button in the upper right hand portion of the screen

5. Click the drop down menu next to “Outputs” and select “External Mixer”

6. Select “Deck 1: First card / Deck 2 : Second card”

7. Click the drop down menu next to “Sound Card” and choose “2 cards”

8. Select “TTM57SL Line 1” for the first slot and “TTM57SL Line 2” for the second slot and press “Apply”

9. The sample player will come out of both channels on the TTM57
Rane, Support
Chad S. 4:47 PM - 16 January, 2012
oh yeah, you'll need to makes ure our asio / core audio drivers are installed.
str8nger 9:23 PM - 16 January, 2012
Quote:
Yes i have Serato SL 3 already

Then man the fuck up and use a real software pussy!
WarpNote 10:23 PM - 16 January, 2012
I'm so confident in SSL, I wouldn't use anything else for my gigs.
However, str8nger, try to keep the forum civil. No need for name calling, if Josh B wanna have a go at VDJ, no need to bash him. Variety is a good thing, and keeps competition going among the software developers /vendors.
Papa Midnight 10:33 PM - 16 January, 2012
In all fairness, wouldn't this be a better question to ask on the Virtual DJ forums since he's trying to use Virtual DJ software?
Rane, Support
Chad S. 11:03 PM - 16 January, 2012
If he wants to use his Rane device as a soundcard he by all means can. Here is a good place to ask but we have also started the Rane.com/forum for just such a question. This is the Serato forum and we respect our relationship with them. We would rather direct people using our gear with other programs over to the rane.com/forum.

It's brand new...... like this is the first public announcement of it aside from a tab we added to our website on Monday. So the content is thin but the first thing I posted there was the steps for connecting your Rane hardware for use with Virtual DJ. So please add to the discussion and come back to the forum in a few weeks after we have a chance to get content up. Do check it out now and join if you'd like :)
str8nger 11:34 PM - 16 January, 2012
Quote:
I'm so confident in SSL, I wouldn't use anything else for my gigs.
However, str8nger, try to keep the forum civil. No need for name calling, if Josh B wanna have a go at VDJ, no need to bash him. Variety is a good thing, and keeps competition going among the software developers /vendors.

Sorry I apologize
WarpNote 11:55 PM - 16 January, 2012
Good Man :D
RogerRabbit 12:30 AM - 17 January, 2012
Quote:
If he wants to use his Rane device as a soundcard he by all means can. Here is a good place to ask but we have also started the Rane.com/forum for just such a question. This is the Serato forum and we respect our relationship with them. We would rather direct people using our gear with other programs over to the rane.com/forum.

Funny - the first link in the rane Djing Discussion brings me back over here :)
Rane, Support
Chad S. 12:37 AM - 17 January, 2012
lol, you clicked the Serato Forum link :)

Anything related to Scratch Live and your Sl 1, Sl 2, Sl3, Sl 4, TTM57, Sixty Eight we want to be here. This is the best place to get answers and to have conversation about that gear and it's main focus which is use with Scratch Live. We don't want to be redundant with forums. Serato has done a bang up job here and we like it the way it is.

But we have other units like the MP25 and MP26 mixers which are full digital mixers but they are not Scratch Live hardware. Kind of hard to talk about the pluses and their abilities here. naw mean ;)
Rane, Support
Chad S. 12:38 AM - 17 January, 2012
Thanks for checking it out though :)
Josh B 6:07 AM - 17 January, 2012
I'm very impressed with the positive feedback, thank you. plus an extra thank you to the guys backing me on this. As i said. I'm learning Serato. Just while i DJ in clubs.. for the moment I want to be ontop of my game. and VDJ is where its at for me. AT THE MOMENT.

Thank you :)
DJ Tecniq 7:03 AM - 17 January, 2012
Quote:
I'm very impressed with the positive feedback, thank you. plus an extra thank you to the guys backing me on this. As i said. I'm learning Serato. Just while i DJ in clubs.. for the moment I want to be ontop of my game. and VDJ is where its at for me. AT THE MOMENT.

Thank you :)
Does virtual dj have relative mode yet? If not plz look into serato it's like having a 3rd hand.
WarpNote 7:59 AM - 17 January, 2012
If you're confident in other software, I'm pretty sure you'll get comfy in SSL in no time.
The stuff that normally takes a little while is building crates, cue points and loops. Temember to always analyze your files and never keep corrupted files in your library.

The Scratch Live software is real clean and easy to follow, it takes your focus back to the music. Congrats on the SL3, if you have any questions about SSL just ask, after doing a search on the forum that is ;)
the SOUNDINSURGENT 10:37 AM - 17 January, 2012
Quote:
Does virtual dj have relative mode yet? If not plz look into serato it's like having a 3rd hand.

It always has......the same as Serato.
Absolute – This mode is similar to how music is normally played on vinyl. The beginning of the record corresponds to the beginning of the track and picking up the needle and moving it to another location on the vinyl, also known as needle dropping, will move playback to that location in the track. Please note that in Absolute mode you will not be able to use some of the software features, such as looping and cue points. Relative – In this mode, the software will track the relative movement of the record (forward, backward) but will not track the position of the within the control timecode. So, for example, you will not be able to seek to another location of the song by picking up the needle and dropping it on another part of the record. This mode is perfect for scratch DJs since it allows you to scratch without worrying about the needle skipping around on the record – the software will compensate for any skip that might occur. In this mode, you are also allowed to use some additional software features, such as looping and cue points. Smart (default) – This is the default timecode tracking mode and is the mode that we recommend most users use. In Smart mode, you have the ability to do needle drops but can also use the additional features of the software, such as pitch, loops and cue points.
skinnyguy 1:34 PM - 17 January, 2012
props to chad. and rane.
DJ Tecniq 8:37 PM - 17 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Absolute – This mode is similar to how music is normally played on vinyl. The beginning of the record corresponds to the beginning of the track and picking up the needle and moving it to another location on the vinyl, also known as needle dropping, will move playback to that location in the track. Please note that in Absolute mode you will not be able to use some of the software features, such as looping and cue points. Relative – In this mode, the software will track the relative movement of the record (forward, backward) but will not track the position of the within the control timecode. So, for example, you will not be able to seek to another location of the song by picking up the needle and dropping it on another part of the record. This mode is perfect for scratch DJs since it allows you to scratch without worrying about the needle skipping around on the record – the software will compensate for any skip that might occur. In this mode, you are also allowed to use some additional software features, such as looping and cue points. Smart (default) – This is the default timecode tracking mode and is the mode that we recommend most users use. In Smart mode, you have the ability to do needle drops but can also use the additional features of the software, such as pitch, loops and cue points.
Thanks for answering..Did not know VDJ had all the fuctions serato has. We only use it on the clubs computer as a mediaplayer to play music when I or other dj's aren't there..it works well but still doesn't display bpm's correctly..I have no idea how to fix it nore does it really matter since I don't really use it. When i dropped songs from my computer to the club's I expected virtual dj to find the correct bpm's...nope. it sets most bpm's like 70-80 and jack em up to 130-150 i don't really get it.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 9:30 PM - 17 January, 2012
It's all bro....
DJ Head 12:21 AM - 18 January, 2012
vdj -___-
RnBDJkb 9:23 PM - 20 January, 2012
+1>Heres how I do it, www.youtube.com view
My reasons for using VDJ or Serato is with VDJ I can customize it anyway I want. I can use 4 decks with 2 tables and have control over all 4, I use a PC so video runs smoother then VSL, timecode is just as tight as Serato. I dont understand all the hate or dislike for VDJ but yet when I look through the Serato Scratch Live Feature Suggestions VDJ can do most if not everything people ask for............
I have owned SSL since 2004, got Itch as soon as it released, been using VDJ for about the same amount of time. I also use the Hercules RMX and have other good analog mixers but have to agree when it comes to video mixing VDJ has been the easiest software to use with my current hardware. Besides the tools you use don't matter, they are just there to help make your job easier... if you can rock the house with a paint bucket and a stick, your talent will show regardless!
RnBDJkb 9:25 PM - 20 January, 2012
BTW, I know a lot of VDJ bashers have never tried the VDJ PRO version.
Free version does not compare to SSL,ITCH, VSL..just my 2cents, thx.
Papa Midnight 10:32 PM - 20 January, 2012
Quote:
BTW, I know a lot of VDJ bashers have never tried the VDJ PRO version.
Free version does not compare to SSL,ITCH, VSL..just my 2cents, thx.

Most VDJ Bashers never progressed past version 5, or just bash because it's the cool thing to do. That much I am convinced of. But, I think it also stems from VDJ's sheer proliferation in which a lot of people would download cracked versions of VDJ or the new free version and start "DJing" anywhere they could for free, for very little, or for drinks. Ironic that the same criticism has never fallen upon Traktor (Scratch) Pro and/or Deckadance, both of which were cracked years ago in the same fashion. I guess it's just the sheer volume of proliferation.
WarpNote 12:09 PM - 21 January, 2012
Quote:
I can use 4 decks with 2 tables and have control over all 4

Yeah, I'd like to see a for true input matrix in SSL software. > serato.com
Current workaround > www.flickr.com
cesarxp30 1:55 PM - 26 January, 2012
Quote:
I hate how in virtual dj it displays the bpm but the bpm that's playing is nowhere near the original bpm..i don't use virtual dj but we have it at the club for when im not there..it never displays the correct bpm..all i did was load a bunch of my intro's and it doesn't read bpm's correctly..serato has no problem.

As far as i know, i used both serato and VDJ and on my opinion it is the serato who has the worst BPM reading and serato is struggling on detecting measures in a tracks thats why it is worst in beat grid marking compare to VDJ. Serato can't read BPM specially if tracks is new and must be analyzed before loading it to the deck while VDJ can read BPM once you load the tracks. And for some reason, to be fair there would be a long list of things that VDJ could do better than serato that serato can't. Second thing serato has to prove it to be the best dj software this yearas he has a chance, while VDJ have already proved that to be the best DJ software in the market right now by winning the best sofware awards during the international annual music awards last year. The only thing that i don't understand is why most DJ's hates VDJ so much maybe its a treat for them? because VDJ invented the SYNC button? in which most DJ's hates sync buttons very much and that is the reason they like serato much more than VDJ, c'mon be fair, time will come, that the club owner himself will the job, as soon technology are keep on upgrading so fast and soon VDJ will launch the auto-pilot function? and what do you think you will do with VDJ? go to the street and have a strike as against VDJ? i'm not against serato as i do own serato SL1 but for some reason, sometimes you have to look for what you need exactly and it is the reason to switch to what do you think best for you, i'm frustrated with serato because for long years serato were not able to have the video function while VDJ has it, 8-years ago what more you could ask to prove that VDJ has the superiority in the DJ softwares category, additional to that, i like the VST plugins & others pluggin support like pangolin, firetext, visualizer & venue magic in VDJ, it adds another dimension to the DJing world, it is fun and it is very powerful. My conclusion is that serato for me is not far or similarly like iTune in MAC and Winamp in PC it doesn't do anything else other than playing songs/music additional to that is just scratching and this features is common and available to any DJ software in market and if you remove the SL-BOX from serato it is useless and no use. well don't get me wrong this is just my humble opinion...Thanks
DJ Garebear 2:34 PM - 26 January, 2012
^^^huh? I've never noticed an issue with Serato not reading BPMs correctly. Are all of your files good quality? I only use 320kbps bit rate mp3's or 128s if they are from older material and I've yet to notice a ridiculously wrong BPM. On another note I would suggest you get Mixed in Key to fix the issue your having.
RnBDJkb 6:39 PM - 26 January, 2012
Trust your own ears, count them/edit bpm yourself for true detection.
I will admit I have not had to do much counting with either software, but when it's off it's off...trust your ears:-)
phonze 7:42 PM - 26 January, 2012
I rarely have any problems with the bpm in serato. I think in total out of over 2 thousand songs I've loaded in, maybe 3 of them were off. A few come in doubled up from time to time, but you just hit alt down to fix it.
DJ Unique 10:39 PM - 26 January, 2012
Same here. The only thing I've experienced is doubled or halved BPMs though the occurrence is rare. Once in while I might come across tracks that don't make sense but that might be 1 track in a thousand. I have to manually tap to fix those.
cesarxp30 12:22 AM - 27 January, 2012
See... guys it is common for the users to always react base on what we have at our hand and what we feel, of course you don't use other softwares that much so you don't have enough basis to benchmark your thoughts in some points i'm using serato for almost 4 years since the SL1 almost the same amount of time i spend on VDJ because of the video capabilities togehter. Like DJ TECNIQ he just saw VDJ in the club which he was playing then he had already talk like the owns VJD for years or more don't bash other softwares if you don't know exactly what it does because it will be a big shame on him see the above post what he is talking about.

Quote:
The only thing I've experienced is doubled or halved BPMs though the occurrence is rare. Once in while I might come across tracks that don't make sense but that might be 1 track in a thousand. I have to manually tap to fix those.

YES, this problem is also present even in the serato ITCH 2.0 it has this problem i have some track that serato reads like 70 BPM i tried in ITCH it is the same but when i load in VDJ its 140 BPM i did tried measure manually the VDJ is right that is because serato struggling in counting beat measures in a track.
DJ'Que 12:49 AM - 27 January, 2012
Quote:
I', thinking the samething. smh
DJ'Que 12:49 AM - 27 January, 2012
i'm
reggae delgado 12:53 AM - 27 January, 2012
Quote:
YES, this problem is also present even in the serato ITCH 2.0 it has this problem i have some track that serato reads like 70 BPM i tried in ITCH it is the same but when i load in VDJ its 140 BPM i did tried measure manually the VDJ is right that is because serato struggling in counting beat measures in a track.

70 or 140 is actually correct, they are more or less the same—if you took a 70 bpm track & a 140 they'd match just fine. (and often times if a beat is 140 the lyrics will still be at 70 anyway). However there is a way in serato to set the RANGE of bpm so that you can avoid the doubling/halving (it's right at the top by the analyze button). In my experience, Serato actually does a great job counting tricky beats, like dancehall or soca.
cesarxp30 7:57 AM - 27 January, 2012
Quote:

Quote:

You want to know why because serato for me is not far or similarly a media or mp3 player like iTune in MAC and Winamp in PC it can't do anything else other than playing songs/music what the hell can you do in serato? tell me? creative DJ's always forward to what they can do and serato doesn't have that and if you remove the SL-BOX from serato it is useless and no use at all. I'm stupid because i bought serato SL1 and the stupidy is, i bought it even if the price is not right and not fair at the feature and capabilities that you can get from serato, it is very expensive, it does nothing except playing music i'd rather buy a media player and a decent soundcard then it is comparably like the SL & the serato thats it.

But what makes VDJ more supperior and deffirent from any the other software is the ability to do somethings that other softwares can not do, and now if you have a very long list of things that serato can not do then my question is why should i go for that such amount of money to spend if it has nothing else to do than playing? and this is where the power of features comes in and it makes the creative and intelligent user decide to switch if they think and realized that what they are using is not exactly what they needs. It makes users to decide where he wants to go, if you are creative, intelligent or a mash-up DJ you probably choose VDJ because of its very long list of things that you can do with it, and if you are a turntablist you might choose serato and do scratching & scratching & scratching forever what the hell you can do aside from that? because of the very expensive SL-BOX and its serato. And if you are a DJ who stand below middle class income, it could be difficult and could be useless for you to spend that much of money just to owned a SL-BOX & serato, if you can rock the crowd with your RMX & VDJ i'm sure the crowd will not notice the deffirence if you are using SL-BOX with serato or RMX with VDJ and they don't even care or bothered to ask you on what you have, they are only concerned on what you do and what you play to continuously rock the floors this where your skills is required and all it depends on how you will handle your setup.

I don't mean to harm or bash other softwares like searto as a serato user i'm just telling the truth because right now what you spend on SL-BOX & serato is not fair to what capabilities & features you can get from it. Thank you.
DJ Tecniq 8:54 AM - 27 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

You want to know why because serato for me is not far or similarly a media or mp3 player like iTune in MAC and Winamp in PC it can't do anything else other than playing songs/music what the hell can you do in serato? tell me? creative DJ's always forward to what they can do and serato doesn't have that and if you remove the SL-BOX from serato it is useless and no use at all. I'm stupid because i bought serato SL1 and the stupidy is, i bought it even if the price is not right and not fair at the feature and capabilities that you can get from serato, it is very expensive, it does nothing except playing music i'd rather buy a media player and a decent soundcard then it is comparably like the SL & the serato thats it.

But what makes VDJ more supperior and deffirent from any the other software is the ability to do somethings that other softwares can not do, and now if you have a very long list of things that serato can not do then my question is why should i go for that such amount of money to spend if it has nothing else to do than playing? and this is where the power of features comes in and it makes the creative and intelligent user decide to switch if they think and realized that what they are using is not exactly what they needs. It makes users to decide where he wants to go, if you are creative, intelligent or a mash-up DJ you probably choose VDJ because of its very long list of things that you can do with it, and if you are a turntablist you might choose serato and do scratching & scratching & scratching forever what the hell you can do aside from that? because of the very expensive SL-BOX and its serato. And if you are a DJ who stand below middle class income, it could be difficult and could be useless for you to spend that much of money just to owned a SL-BOX & serato, if you can rock the crowd with your RMX & VDJ i'm sure the crowd will not notice the deffirence if you are using SL-BOX with serato or RMX with VDJ and they don't even care or bothered to ask you on what you have, they are only concerned on what you do and what you play to continuously rock the floors this where your skills is required and all it depends on how you will handle your setup.

I don't mean to harm or bash other softwares like searto as a serato user i'm just telling the truth because right now what you spend on SL-BOX & serato is not fair to what capabilities & features you can get from it. Thank you.
Bro I have no idea what you're talking about. Serato does way more than "just play music". Maybe you need to learn the software more. I don't ever remember Virtual DJ winning anything maybe I'm wrong. Serato has won best software more than once! And 70 bpm is 140. It can be both. If you manually tap the bpm at a 70 track tapping it fast it will go to 140. If you think of mixing Luda's How Love into Cupid Shuffle it's the same damn thing.
WarpNote 11:12 AM - 27 January, 2012
Quote:
only thing I've experienced is doubled or halved BPMs though the occurrence is rare.

Dudes, you all need to learn your software...
1. Double click the bpm field in tracklist.
2. Press [alt]+[arrow up] to double or [alt]+[arrow down] to half the bpm.
Now, was that so hard?

Quote:
it does nothing except playing music
OMG, how am i even gonna try to answer this?
I mean, from the top of my head: A very high quality vinyl simulator for up to 4 decks, SP6 (4x6=24) sample player, Software FX, Cuepoints, Manual loops, Auto loops, Loop rolls, Video Plug ins (VSL & ME), Ableton Plug in (Cue triggering & Mixtape function), Playlist export function, Fast library system with search and smart crates. Great sound quality and outstanding build quality of the Rane SL cards/mixers.

cesarxp30, you keep saying:
Quote:
But what makes VDJ more supperior and deffirent from any the other software is the ability to do somethings that other softwares can not do,
Could you please be more specific, and were not talking about autosync or cheap platter controllers here....
cesarxp30 12:01 PM - 27 January, 2012
Quote:
Great sound quality and outstanding build quality of the Rane SL cards/mixers

Hahahahaha....c'mon wake up and open the serato SL-BOX and see what is inside and tell me something what makes them so expensive? It is the stupidity that makes them so expensive, users like me is stupid that i bought SL1 at that time so much amount of money. serato SL-BOX are most likely the same as the sound card of a simple CD/DVD player having chinese and asian components inside nothing special in it, then how could you explain to me that it is very good quality. Base on the components inside and the technology it must be sold at the fair price range nearest or slightly above Trakto-Dou something like $400 including seratoLIVE software not more than that. There are lots of DJ using better controller / soundcard having good quality at a reasonable price.
WarpNote 12:27 PM - 27 January, 2012
The SL1 is no longer made, I agree that it had some shortcomings, 16 bit, 44.1 kHz, it didn't have as hot output as competitors. But it did not sound bad, IMO.

However, now there is SL2 (24 bit, 44.1 and 48 kHz), SL3 (24 bit, 44.1 and 48 kHz) ,SL4 (24 bit, 48 and 96 kHz), they sound REAL good on a Funktion One system fed through a A&H mixer, Id love to hear a cheap ass sound card running VDJ on the same system. LOL.

The 68 sounds awsome too, and I expect the 61/62 to be the same.

Your statement
Quote:
makes you look ignorant, how many hours did you spend on SSL?

You still NEED to explain:
Quote:
cesarxp30, you keep saying:
Quote:
But what makes VDJ more supperior and deffirent from any the other software is the ability to do somethings that other softwares can not do,
Could you please be more specific, and were not talking about autosync or cheap platter controllers here....
cesarxp30 1:42 PM - 27 January, 2012
I'm not ignorant and the equipment you owned is nothing compare to what i have so please don't bash me out. SL1 was release 2004 the first time it was release i'm the only one i have at that time in my place. And regarding things that VDJ do and seratoLIVE & ITCH can't do it very obvious you open your eyes and explore in the market what elso do the others have it is you who is ignorant because your ears and eyes are totally close by the your lovely serato hahahahaha.... this is one example: if your answer is YES right now i can buried my VDJ 6-feet under the ground. CAN YOU CUSTOMIZED THE SKINS OF THE SERATO? THAT WILL LOOKS LIKE MY CONTROLLER? Of course your answer is NO, because the way the serato did the layout and the graphical interface of the seratoLIVE & ITCH is it an elementary programing like it was made in 1985 everytime i see my serato on the screen i remember those old school days dj's fun in my place hahahaha...HORRIBLE GRAPHIC INTERFACE. Tell serato dev team i can design for them nice 3D looking button knobs and slider to be use on serato skins. But don't worry i like the color of the waveform but again it is useless because it should represent the high, lows & peaks of the audio spectrum, serato just did a rainbow like vignette graphics and dump it into the waveform window. Please don't challenge on what serato does as i know serato and you will not win in this arguments stop it and admit it the seratoLIVE/ITCH is 8-years behind than VDJ in DJ softwares category. Lets accept it.
cesarxp30 2:06 PM - 27 January, 2012
Can you use Visualizer in seratoLIVE/ITCH? of course your answer is "NO" Can you send SMS to your video screen in seratoLIVE/ITCH?? of course your answer is "NO" Can you use high end VST plugins that is available in the market in seratoLIVE/ITCH? of course your answer is "NO" Can you use multiple controller simultaneously at a time in seratoLIVE/ITCH? of course your answer is "NO" Can i use any controller that is available in the market with seratoLIVE/ITCH? of course your answer is "NO" Can you assign a DMX controller to control the lighting scene in the tracks that i'm playing in seratoLIVE/ITCH? of course your answer is "NO" What the hell...more do you need? WarpNote, If i list it down here this page will full of thing that your lovely serato can't do so please do yourself explore try on the other software and you will see what i mean.
WarpNote 3:24 PM - 27 January, 2012
Ok first of all I'm not bashing anyone. I still say that, if you stand by your statement:
Quote:
then yes, you do look ignorant.

Now, lets stop fighting about ingnorance and what not, and rather get to actual facts.
First of all, I personally do NOT have anything against VDJ users, remember, I said:
Quote:
if Josh B wanna have a go at VDJ, no need to bash him. Variety is a good thing, and keeps competition going among the software developers /vendors.

The Skins.
Sure, you like custom skins, and you hate the SSL GUI. Being a graphic designer myself, doing both 2d and 3d (Showreel here: Watchvimeo.com) I strongly believe in simplified easy-to-read GUI's. I don't believe in overdone 3d GUI's that (badly) tries to emulate the look of a physical mixer/deck, its flat out cheezy, drains GPU and does nothing for the actual performance IMO. Personally I have yet to see a VDJ skin that looks better than the native SSL GUI. SSL actually had 3D looking knobs in earlier versions, good riddance I say. I dont like the traktor GUI so much either, if that tells you anything. Lets agree, to disagree on this one. We got our own preferences, fine, but either of us would be able to use the other interface if forced.

The Waveforms
Quote:
i like the color of the waveform but again it is useless because it should represent the high, lows & peaks of the audio spectrum, serato just did a rainbow like vignette graphics and dump it into the waveform window.

You really need to take another look at the waveform, it does represent the spectrum very well. Blue=Highs, Green=Mids, Red=Lows. If it's so bad, then I wonder why Traktor Pro 2.0 copied them... Also If you prefer, [ctrl] click the waveforms to show separate high mid low waves.

Visualizer
If you by visualizer mean coded visualization stuff, to run in beat with your music, then yes you CAN use Quartz compositions on the Mac. Sure. its a little workaround, but yes it can be done. Haven't used video on my PC's, but I'm sure there is some solution.

SMS
Not built in no, but can be solved with the quartz composer if you really wanted it.

VST
There are several ways to use VSTs with SSL, either with the Bridge (yes, you would need to buy Ableton, I know...) or use the separate USB 5 insert on the Rane 68 & 62. It allows for POST FADER VST FX, witch is VERY NICE indeed. This is how I personally do it > www.flickr.com
VST in VDJ is PC only, the USB insert on the Rane is both platforms

DMX
Sorry you got me here, I normally let the light engineer do the lights. Not bashing the function in VDJ, I see that it can be very useful. Especially for mobile jocks who often are a one-man-show. However I'll have a chat with a friend of mine who's doing DMX programming to see if it easily could be hooked up. Done these types of installations with him in the past highilowe.com

Controllers
For SSL you can use most controllers yes, not all for platter control, but there's a few XML files out there to hack this...

For the "list it down here this page will full of thing that your lovely serato can't do":
The only real things I find is:
- Karaoke, sure if you need it, I see why this one is major. Most DJ's don't Karaoke though.
- FreeFrame & Custom Video Effects - The Mix Emeregency got most stuff I want, only mac though... www.inklen.com
- Broadcast on the Internet, not built in SSL, but can be done with some work, if I really want it. It does have the live playlist built on thought.
- MusicGroup, GenuisDJ, automatic playlist mixing & Netsearch - Im a DJ, not a jukebox, again I see why it could be useful for a mobile jock.

Might been a while since you spun on SSL, but stuff has progressed, so your statement
Quote:
seratoLIVE/ITCH is 8-years behind than VDJ in DJ softwares category.
will have to stand on your behalf, I don't agree one second.
DJ Unique 5:15 PM - 27 January, 2012
Please don't feed the VDJ trolls.
cesarxp30 7:40 PM - 27 January, 2012
We knew that, there are lots of them, if it has to be listed here but those are just only few.
O.B.1 9:08 PM - 27 January, 2012
Quote:
and if you are a turntablist you might choose serato and do scratching & scratching & scratching forever what the hell you can do aside from that?

it's always the posers who can't scratch that say this...
DJCES 10:51 AM - 28 January, 2012
Quote:

Irrelevant comments please post appropriate comments. This is a hardware forum.
ancientyouth 2:16 PM - 28 January, 2012
Quote:
I'm not ignorant and the equipment you owned is nothing compare to what i have so please don't bash me out. SL1 was release 2004 the first time it was release i'm the only one i have at that time in my place. And regarding things that VDJ do and seratoLIVE & ITCH can't do it very obvious you open your eyes and explore in the market what elso do the others have it is you who is ignorant because your ears and eyes are totally close by the your lovely serato hahahahaha.... this is one example: if your answer is YES right now i can buried my VDJ 6-feet under the ground. CAN YOU CUSTOMIZED THE SKINS OF THE SERATO? THAT WILL LOOKS LIKE MY CONTROLLER? Of course your answer is NO, because the way the serato did the layout and the graphical interface of the seratoLIVE & ITCH is it an elementary programing like it was made in 1985 everytime i see my serato on the screen i remember those old school days dj's fun in my place hahahaha...HORRIBLE GRAPHIC INTERFACE. Tell serato dev team i can design for them nice 3D looking button knobs and slider to be use on serato skins. But don't worry i like the color of the waveform but again it is useless because it should represent the high, lows & peaks of the audio spectrum, serato just did a rainbow like vignette graphics and dump it into the waveform window. Please don't challenge on what serato does as i know serato and you will not win in this arguments stop it and admit it the seratoLIVE/ITCH is 8-years behind than VDJ in DJ softwares category. Lets accept it.

So your more concerned about how cool your screen looks than ANYTHING else......
WOW ,i better switch now in case anyone looks at my laptop....... 3d buttons? Lol
phatbob 2:29 PM - 28 January, 2012
I definitely think customisable skins are the way to go.

After all, it made MySpace such a pleasant place to hang out.

You can see it's more popular than Facebook, with Facebook's boring, simple design.

Oh, wait...
the SOUNDINSURGENT 9:08 PM - 28 January, 2012
Well the new Facebook timeline crap sucks!! Lol!! I use both, I'm not a super star scratcher, but I can get it done with either. I do use a PC and as we all know VSL doesn't run very well even on a high spec PC. As far as waves go I could care less what they look like cause I don't use them. I do like that I can create my own skin. But really all of this doesn't matter (other then the video) we use what works best for us. I will say though that being locked to a soundcard does have its draw backs. But as professionals we are all smart enough to have a backup. I've learned to use both so I guess it doesn't matter anymore....... There are dumb people from both camps and those are the ones that usually stick with us. Don't know where I'm going with this but I like both and like everything in life they have there pros and cons.........
DJCES 9:52 PM - 28 January, 2012
VSL is not ok, it runs even worst on high specs mac machines, as i could see some users report about crashing and video freezing every now and then. Still VDJ would be the best choice on video mixing now i'm starting to think why serato did not do that long time back, they might afraid of faulty results that would come.
RogerRabbit 10:02 PM - 28 January, 2012
I think it comes down to user preference and fanboyism.

I own vdj, ssl and played around with traktor on pc. There are only a few users on this forum who actually tried/used a current version of a competing dvs. It's the same thing on the traktor threads that pop op here - more than half the users never installed the software - yet know that it worse than ssl.

The main point of superiority of scratch live to users on the forum over vdj and traktor is the omission of a sole feature - autosync.
DJCES 9:39 PM - 30 January, 2012
Quote:
The main point of superiority of scratch live to users on the forum over vdj and traktor is the omission of a sole feature - autosync.

This could be a ridiculous statement that AUTOSYNC would give serato the superiority.
DJ Head 10:46 PM - 30 January, 2012
AUTOSYNC is for bitches and hipster freejays

END OF STORY
RogerRabbit 6:01 AM - 31 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

This could be a ridiculous statement that AUTOSYNC would give serato the superiority.

You said something completely different from what I posted...
Code:E 7:19 AM - 31 January, 2012
Man you guys are all haters and dont give anything a try. VDJ stable as hell on a PC and when on a PC runs video 1000000x better than VSL. I nev er used the autosycn once in 4 years of using VDJ in clubs and always used timecodes with either turntables or cdj's. MIDI mapping is WAY more powerful on VDJ, and the sample bank (when you learn how to use it) is way better than serato's.
DJCES 11:01 AM - 31 January, 2012
Quote:
You said something completely different from what I posted...

I've have just coommented on what you have said about AUTOSYNC that becuase serato doesn't have the AUTOSYNC function it made serato more superior than the other software and that statement is totally wrong and ridiculous, that is what i've said. If AUTOSYNC threatened you so much and afraid of, later on you'll find that you don't have anymore jobs as many newbies doing it for a small cost by having a soundcard and a laptop then it only means you don't embrace technology. If you are really a good PRO DJ and have real skills of a DJ's you don't have to worry and afraid about AUTOSYNC it is just a features and its up to you if you want to used it or not it depends upon you, now if you are a posers then you maybe very afraid of AUTOSYNC because it is threatening you so much. I have used same amount of time with my serato SL1 and VDJ and i know which one is doing great job for me. Beside the facts that all of us knows, let us not be hypocrite that serato is limited to its use as intended because of "LOCK" interface, button, knobs function can not be modified as you like. "LOCK" software soundcard route/rewiring the input and outputs, "LIMITED" controller compatibility function as it only works for the dedicated controllers because it can not be mapped to any other controller this part serato is useless for me. There are lots and more to list but those are only few important for me which i'm concern of with.
DJ TeeOh 6:06 AM - 16 August, 2012
Quote:
Short answer , NO. Not on a Mac

Yes you can on a Mac. I have it running on the 2011 Macbook Pro 15".
DJ TeeOh 6:09 AM - 16 August, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for answering..Did not know VDJ had all the fuctions serato has. We only use it on the clubs computer as a mediaplayer to play music when I or other dj's aren't there..it works well but still doesn't display bpm's correctly..I have no idea how to fix it nore does it really matter since I don't really use it. When i dropped songs from my computer to the club's I expected virtual dj to find the correct bpm's...nope. it sets most bpm's like 70-80 and jack em up to 130-150 i don't really get it.

You need to remove the ID3 tags from your music and rescan them. OR download a bpm program that rewrites the ID3 tags. Like I use TANGERINE (with iTunes only) because I make my playlists there.
DJCES 7:37 PM - 16 August, 2012
That is useless features and doesn't have huge difference and huge impact when it comes to digital audio mixing, if you are looking exactly like vinyl feature it is far more better to have the real vinyl and the turntable.
TONY spinning G 6:13 AM - 28 September, 2013
I only use my turntables with Serato when I'm mixing/blending, etc. But I also use Virtual DJ for the parts of events that do not require me to do any mixing/blending like a wedding's cocktail hour and dinner.

Now, for those of you who bash Virtual DJ without trully knowing it, Serato DJ is actually going to be offerring features that have been available on Virtual DJ for yeeears!

So now what? Are these people now going to automatically jump ship to some other software because Serato is now going to be too similar to Virtual DJ? Or are they going to play with the new options and see how they like them?

My true point of this rant is that I just don't understand why so many people get SO angry when they hear that somebody is using something other what they are using?

If you don't like Traktor or Virtual DJ and somebody else does...WHO CARES?!?! Seriously. Personally, when I see people act like that, i think it makes them look weak and insecure.

When I first started messing around with this DJ'n thing in the late 80s, you're only options where basically two turntables and mixer. I feel blessed to have witnessed all these developments in hardware and software that allow us to do this DJ thing we love.

It's good to have choices!
Papa Midnight 6:19 AM - 28 September, 2013
Quote:
So now what?

i.imgur.com
TONY spinning G 6:27 AM - 28 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
and if you are a turntablist you might choose serato and do scratching & scratching & scratching forever what the hell you can do aside from that?

So true! LMAO

+1
Laz219 10:32 AM - 28 September, 2013
I figure VDJ is like anything, in any industry there will always be a stigma associated with a anything that isn't one of the 'recognised leaders'
I think VDJ lost out just because it was always used by people that 'got it from a friend (aka torrent)' which gave it a stigma of being a dodgy alternative.
Johnny Be Bad 9:47 AM - 22 July, 2014
First of all- whats crackin serato.com???

This argument is gettin kinda heated thag I thought I would throw in my 2 cents.

Allow myself to introduce myself- My name is Johnny, and DJing has been an addiction-for lack of a better word for thw past 14 years. back when club's all featured a house set of technics and a DJM-500(which was replaced by the 600 shortly after).
I spent 4 years of practicing 4-8hrs a day before even told people "I am a DJ" I am a self taught musician(guitar/bass) and I was playing gigs with my band within a year of picking up both of those instruments. I figured the turntables would be cake, but as I said earlier, it took 4 years before even considered playing at a house party, let alone a club.circa 2004, CDJ's were becoming the new players in the scene and felt kinda fucked over... it was just 4 years of practicing beat matching or any particular technique, most of the time was spent digging thru record stores, and hours uplate bidding on wax up to 150 bucks fpr more than a few records. I viewed a DJing as 20% skill, 80% soul. And a DJ's wax collection is/was his soul.
Back in 04 we would dis anyone playing on CDJs- however convenient playing mp3s might seem, to us oldschool wax DJs, most of us had 5-10k invested in wax, back then I cldnt change, wldnt change. Swore to be a vinyl purist til I died, then life threw a curve ball at me- some low life stole my technics, along woth my $7,000 wax collection and I was no longer a DJ- by my own standards... so to continue doing what loved, I had to evolve. I've used Traktor, VDJ, Serato, and even torq-dont like torq much, but the other 3 are all solid programs that get the party rockin'
And quite frankly, unless you are a vinyl purist, yer no better than the guy on vdj or traktor- who cares if ssl dont SYNC? When you can match both tempos without headphones by looking at the bpm tab??? They are all dope in their own way- ssl bridges with ableton, traktor has remix decks plus bad ass effects, vdj has a compatible songs tab which is clutch when your at a gig playing multiple genres. They all work. Get over this bullshit, its all abt the music anyway....