DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Mk2, MK5, or M5G?

monchi 12:06 AM - 5 January, 2012
No comparisons or opinions of which one is better.If they were available new @ a DJ retail store,which one would you get now? Thanks
Sureshot (PA) 12:43 AM - 5 January, 2012
i prefer the MK5s. i like the zero lock button and no click pitch fader. not a fan of the digital aspects of the M5gs although they look awesome. they just don't feel right to me. and when you've been playing on 1200s for as long as i have, the speed and feel on the pitch fader is 100% of the appeal of the 1200s. if you're new to 1200's, it won't really matter.. they're all awesome. and they have the smoothest pitch out there. plenty of torque too.. i know the competitors throw out higher torque numbers but if you seriously don't have enough torque with a 1200 then you need to learn better technique.
monchi 1:18 AM - 5 January, 2012
Well Sureshot don't want to make it a "what model is the best" but your input is much appreciated and no I am not new to the "ones and twosies", but yes I am new to all the digital stuff. Thanks again.
The Return of Dj Sparky 1:39 AM - 5 January, 2012
your not new to the 1's and 2's but yet your asking this question?
monchi 1:52 AM - 5 January, 2012
Reading comprehension > DJ sparky.Read my first post , now move along............
The Return of Dj Sparky 1:54 AM - 5 January, 2012
still a no brainer, most pointless thread of the day
Niro 2:09 AM - 5 January, 2012
M5G, it's just better than the rest.
str8nger 4:10 AM - 5 January, 2012
im oldskool i rock the mk2
deezlee 4:13 AM - 5 January, 2012
i've read some stuff about how the different model 1200s(1210s) have different ways of resisting force... some of them vary the force, i.e. in speeds up to compensate for spindle riding, possibly messing with yer mixing if yer not used to that model. I never knew that...
anyone up on the details?
DJ Remy USA 4:41 AM - 5 January, 2012
M5G all the way if I had the money to drop if not the MK5 is dope or if your broke MK2 you can mode the pitch so that it doesnt click I did it on mine
Niro 7:12 PM - 5 January, 2012
I like the consistent pitch, because its way easier to adjust going from a accurately pitched turntable, than from messed up one to another.
DJ Dub Cowboy 8:13 PM - 5 January, 2012
I would buy some MK5s or M5Gs
djdannyd 9:43 PM - 5 January, 2012
This wasn't an option on the initial post but if I came across a set of MK6 (for a resonable price), I'd snag them over the MK5 or 5G's.
damehype 10:27 PM - 5 January, 2012
^ Why?
djdannyd 12:12 AM - 6 January, 2012
• Improved tonearm mounting and oxygen-free copper wire being used for the signal.
• Improved vibration damping in the body.
• Improvements to the pitch control accuracy.
• Better LEDs.
• Motor improvements.

So basically it is a M5G but without the useless +- 16% range adjustment for the pitch. Not only that they are "very" rare to come by...

www.ebay.com
Not mine. If you got the $$$ This would be a smart buy. I'm saving my coins for the rumored Rane mixer ;)
DJ Remy USA 12:20 AM - 6 January, 2012
The extra pitch range is not useless it's come in handy especially when mixing acapellas. I can't pull off some of my live blends without the extra pitch range cause the voice won't speed up enough.
Hi-Tek 12:54 AM - 6 January, 2012
^^^ So I think it's safe to assume that you've been djing since 2002.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 1:00 AM - 6 January, 2012
I have had all the models.... :-)....

Love my M5Gs and my M3Ds. Still got a set of Mk2s.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 1:03 AM - 6 January, 2012
Correction.... Minus the rare ones.... MK6, Gold Editions..... etc.
monchi 1:17 AM - 6 January, 2012
Wow guess the M5G is the preffered, thanks to all who have giving me their input....Much appreciated, now time to go buy a set!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
djdannyd 1:23 AM - 6 January, 2012
don't forget to take out a loan or sell your vehicle so you can buy a pair
Mighty Dragon Sounds 1:31 AM - 6 January, 2012
Not neccassary.... Two M5Gs can be found pretty easily on Ebay for less then what it costs for a CDJ 2000
djdannyd 1:46 AM - 6 January, 2012
apples and oranges
monchi 1:48 AM - 6 January, 2012
like these here:www.ebay.com
Joee 1:51 AM - 6 January, 2012
Quote:
Not neccassary.... Two M5Gs can be found pretty easily on Ebay for less then what it costs for a CDJ 2000

he's wright, i got 2 from ebay less than $500 each shipped, something like 400 & 450
Joee 1:52 AM - 6 January, 2012
^about a year ago
djdannyd 1:57 AM - 6 January, 2012
I bought a pair of brand new mk2's for $700
djdannyd 1:59 AM - 6 January, 2012
oh yeah, forgot to mention; in 1994 (my first pair btw)
DJ Unique 2:01 AM - 6 January, 2012
Quote:
I bought a pair of brand new mk2's for $700

Quote:
oh yeah, forgot to mention; in 1994 (my first pair btw)

HaHaHa.... funny guy, eh!!!
Panotaker 3:00 AM - 6 January, 2012
Good luck buying a set of tables from someone on ebay with a zero rating.
djdannyd 3:19 AM - 6 January, 2012
We all had our humble beginnings...
DJ Special K 3:22 AM - 6 January, 2012
I have a set of MK2's and M5G, I must say I love the improvements made on the M5G's. My MK2's are from the early 80s, I started dj'ing in the mid 80's. The Mk2's were bought used and those are my babies. I keep them purely for nostalgia as they sit in my closet but I put my M5G's to work!!!
DJ Remy USA 4:27 AM - 6 January, 2012
Quote:
^^^ So I think it's safe to assume that you've been djing since 2002.

What does that have to do with anything? Guess it's safe to assume you never played ghetto tech/ Bmore house (I'm talking the original shit) by modding your tables to go +\ - 16 before there was pitch range that went the high on turntables. I have only been seriously spinning for 6 years but what's that got to do anything?
Hi-Tek 4:54 AM - 6 January, 2012
study the 1200's history. Theres a meaning behind the year 2002. Regardless, now with Scratch live's key lock, it doesn't matter if you go that high on the pitch. But it still sounds like crap, i wonder if serato will ever improve that?
DJ Remy USA 12:20 PM - 6 January, 2012
There is no key lock using vinyl thats beauty of the style of music mentioned. With key lock you couldnt even produce the same vocal tones albeit pitch up as all hell but that was the style chipmuck style lyrics with almost a drum and bass type sound. Im not talking about using that pitch range for regular mixing
[O/][iii][O/] 10:37 PM - 6 January, 2012
Quote:
No comparisons or opinions of which one is better.If they were available new @ a DJ retail store,which one would you get now? Thanks

MK5 without question followed by the MK2. Stay away from the M5G. I know they list it as their "flagship" model, but IMO it's their least desirable one for several reasons.
KingxD 10:51 PM - 6 January, 2012
if you can afford it get them m5gs just for shitz and giggles. If not a pair of mk5s would do just find. I have both sets.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 3:15 AM - 7 January, 2012
M5G all the way if you can afford it.
Maskrider 5:35 AM - 7 January, 2012
A pristine 1200MK2 Silver is my favorite brings back memories when I was a kid.
monchi 2:38 AM - 14 January, 2012
Well thanks to blackavengers' help I was able to purchase a new set of M5Gs. I also have brand new MK2s in flight cases which I never used. Placed them from the shipping box straight to the flight cases, back in 2002. I want to get a new third pair, should I get another set of M5Gs or should I get the MK5? I want to hand my TTs to my kids who are now 4 ang 11 years old:)
Someone recommended that I get some CDJ2000s but I love the TTs to much to even consider the CDJs.
I am about to retire my Silver MK2s I bought new back in 96.
DJ Dub Cowboy 2:40 AM - 14 January, 2012
get some black M3Ds
monchi 5:07 PM - 14 January, 2012
Mr. Dub why the M3Ds > the MK5s? Just curious to your choice,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
BattleFunk 5:31 PM - 14 January, 2012
Quote:
get some black M3Ds

I had M3Ds, the pitch used to fluctuate around zero - apparently it was a common fault on them

I also had the MK5's

Sold them both and went back to the MK2's - which are now boxed and in the loft

imo, the only reason they brought the newer models out was to cash in. The "improvements" were never going to be that big as they already got it right with the MK2 (or why would they wait so long to bring out the newer models?)

If I had to buy again I would still buy the MK2's, but as early a model as I could find (The ones with the ½" rubber mat). My first set were like tanks compared to my current set. The newer ones just dont feel as sturdy to me for some reason
L2daGee 5:38 AM - 30 January, 2012
M5G is the best turntable I have laid my hands on. I own MK2s, M3Ds, MK5s, and M5Gs.

The pitch is the most constant on the M5G by far.
nonplus 2:52 PM - 30 January, 2012
i just bought a pair of m3d's for $400 last week. one has a broken off tone arm but other than that in good shape. i can't wait to rip those babies apart and make them better then new.
DJ GaFFle 3:12 PM - 30 January, 2012
Quote:

This is reason enuff... Get the M5G.
BattleFunk 3:52 PM - 30 January, 2012
I thought the fact that the pitch fluttered slightly was the reason to go with Technics?

You know, cos it makes it more difficult to use them / requires more skill?

If you want constant pitch - you might as well go CD lol
[O/][iii][O/] 4:48 PM - 30 January, 2012
Quote:
M5G is the best turntable I have laid my hands on. I own MK2s, M3Ds, MK5s, and M5Gs.

Is there something wrong with the pitch on your other models? Reason I ask is I've never been able to tell the difference between any of them as they all hold just fine.
kilo-watt 4:55 PM - 30 January, 2012
I've only ever own MK2s, since '99. First set of tables were some Gemini's. I miss the days of trying to mixer and scratch on some of the worst TT's ever. Makes it so special when you get your first set of 1200s. If I felt like dropping the cash I would get the M5G, I'm sticking with the MK2s though, they're classics that are still going strong.
L2daGee 5:38 PM - 30 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Is there something wrong with the pitch on your other models? Reason I ask is I've never been able to tell the difference between any of them as they all hold just fine.

After 13+ years of use the pitch on my Mk2s and M3ds have become off center. When I put them at +1 the MK2s are mor like +1.8 and the M3ds at 0.5. My M5Gs how ever are exactly where they're supposed to be.

With that being said, I have absolutely no problems mixing or scratching with any model, but if I had to chose witch I'd rather use, I'd pick the M5Gs every time.
Audio1 5:46 PM - 30 January, 2012
MK2 if you can find em. Used ones are usually pretty good. I've had mine since 1991. Still work proper to this day, tho I should get them customized to cover up the aging.
L2daGee 5:47 PM - 30 January, 2012
Quote:
I thought the fact that the pitch fluttered slightly was the reason to go with Technics?

You're joking right. CDJs. Never. Scratching and beat juggling on anything other than Technics would be a pain in the arse!
BattleFunk 6:29 PM - 30 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

You're joking right. CDJs. Never. Scratching and beat juggling on anything other than Technics would be a pain in the arse!

No Joke. If the constant pitch is a desirable feature, CDJ's do that better. I don't find scratching on them that different either
kilo-watt 6:30 PM - 30 January, 2012
Quote:
MK2 if you can find em. Used ones are usually pretty good. I've had mine since 1991. Still work proper to this day, tho I should get them customized to cover up the aging.

Dude I know does custom skins, any color LEDS, deletes the ground, and upgrades the RCAs for $250. They look so sick when they're done.
Audio1 6:33 PM - 30 January, 2012
^Exactly the plan I had in mind.
L2daGee 6:42 PM - 30 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No Joke. If the constant pitch is a desirable feature, CDJ's do that better. I don't find scratching on them that different either

Seriously. Scratching with a non-spinning platter is awful. And beat juggling on CDJs is a joke. If I wanted something with a constant pitch that wasn't the M5G I'd get the NS7.

The constant pitch on the M5G is an added bonus. You buy a Technics turntable for what it is, a reliable, industry standard, built-to-last, son of a bitch. Any model will do, but why not get all these great features and the best pitch control with the M5G.

If CDJs are your preference, good for you. This thread is about which Technics model to buy, and in my opinion you can't go wrong with any of them, but if it's within your budget and ability to find them, I say buy M5Gs.
djsmuve415 6:48 PM - 30 January, 2012
Quote:

^This. I've had mine since 95'... Never get rid of them - or need to buy another pair.
BattleFunk 7:04 PM - 30 January, 2012
Quote:
Scratching with a non-spinning platter is awful. And beat juggling on CDJs is a joke. If I wanted something with a constant pitch that wasn't the M5G I'd get the NS7.

The constant pitch on the M5G is an added bonus. You buy a Technics turntable for what it is, a reliable, industry standard, built-to-last, son of a bitch. Any model will do, but why not get all these great features and the best pitch control with the M5G.

If CDJs are your preference, good for you. This thread is about which Technics model to buy, and in my opinion you can't go wrong with any of them, but if it's within your budget and ability to find them, I say buy M5Gs.

Seriously? This is all your opinion - as an open forum you are free to voice it. Dont jump on MY opinion just because you dont agree with it. CDJs are easy to scratch on - You find it awful cos you didnt learn those skills. end of.
L2daGee 7:26 PM - 30 January, 2012
^^^
Now you're just trolling. If you don't have anything to add, that is relative to this thread, go away. This thread is about TECHNICS TURNTABLES! Nowhere on here does it say, "tell me your opinion about CDJs", it does however ask for OPINIONS ABOUT TECHNICS!
L2daGee 7:35 PM - 30 January, 2012
@BattleFunk:

I have started a new thread, where you can voice your opinion of why you prefer CDJs. Now we can stop hijacking this thread...
BattleFunk 7:36 PM - 30 January, 2012
Quote:
^^^
Now you're just trolling. If you don't have anything to add, that is relative to this thread, go away. This thread is about TECHNICS TURNTABLES! Nowhere on here does it say, "tell me your opinion about CDJs", it does however ask for OPINIONS ABOUT TECHNICS!

You are the one going off topic. Since when does a stable pitch have anything to do with scratching or juggling? I cant remember a single time I've been bothered about it while doing either. You're just trying to find an angle where you can say vinyl is better than cds. You are the one being a troll. And as a matter of fact, who the fuck made you boss? Daft little cunt. If you dont like it, I suggest you build a bridge, dumbass.
L2daGee 7:43 PM - 30 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
^^^

You are the one going off topic. Since when does a stable pitch have anything to do with scratching or juggling? I cant remember a single time I've been bothered about it while doing either. You're just trying to find an angle where you can say vinyl is better than cds. You are the one being a troll. And as a matter of fact, who the fuck made you boss? Daft little cunt. If you dont like it, I suggest you build a bridge, dumbass.

Aww, someone is butt-hurt...

Back to the original posters question:
"If they were available new @ a DJ retail store,which one (model Technics) would you get now?"

I would buy Technics M5Gs.
BattleFunk 7:46 PM - 30 January, 2012
Quote:
Aww, someone is butt-hurt...

Cool Story, Bro.
Dj JesC 8:31 PM - 30 January, 2012
ive owned my mk2 since 93, they were 2nd had with the rubber slip mat (nh nm). only thing Ive had to replace are the rca's and now its time to do what Audio1 was talking about about updating the leds. Pop up light has been out since the Y2k scare.
kilo-watt 3:45 AM - 29 January, 2013
Recently bought some of the forgotten M3d's. Custom painted white, blue LED's, upgraded RCA's, power cable, and internally grounded. Finally parted with my MK2s.
Mr. Goodkat 5:28 AM - 29 January, 2013
finally got my second tech(a m3d), after having sold 4 two years ago to learn cdjs. I've had CDJ 900s, a twitch, s2, s4, and even tried an apc40 with ableton in that time..

when i set things up, i instantly hated cdjs and controllers.

tru story.
monchi 7:37 PM - 15 December, 2013
Well about to get some use M5G's . Big ups to those who gave input.
djvtyme85 3:25 AM - 16 December, 2013
all this talk about the pitch is crazy to me. i honestly never worry about the exact percent, my ears give me all the numbers i need. before laptops and serato i never knew what bpms were on most of my records, i listened and put what sounded right together lol. it worked for then and i can't understand why dj's are so number conscience now…technics are king period. my favorite are my mk2 they are sturdy, old as fuck but havent given me a problem. now my new mk5s different story but still solid. i think when u start talking about pitch your usually a new dj in concern to 1200s bc come on guys really were we this concerned in the past? talking about .018 pitch variations wtf lol its a 1200 it'll last longer than most people's dj careers
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:05 PM - 16 December, 2013
Quote:
now my new mk5s different story but still solid.

What happened ^^there^^?

Quote:
its a 1200 it'll last longer than most people's dj careers

This gets my vote for 2013 "Quote of the Year".
djvtyme85 9:53 AM - 19 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
now my new mk5s different story but still solid.

What happened ^^there^^?

Quote:
its a 1200 it'll last longer than most people's dj careers

This gets my vote for 2013 "Quote of the Year".

Lol
djstatix 3:58 AM - 7 July, 2014
^^ This....
DJ Tecniq 7:18 AM - 7 July, 2014
I have the 1210 MK5's but if I were to sell them i'd want the M5G's because of the extra pitch range and blue led's. You could mix 100 bpm tracks to 115-120 bpm no problem. That is why they are tha bomb. Can't do that I'm reg tech's
DJ Tecniq 7:18 AM - 7 July, 2014
I have the 1210 MK5's but if I were to sell them i'd want the M5G's because of the extra pitch range and blue led's. You could mix 100 bpm tracks to 115-120 bpm no problem. That is why they are tha bomb. Can't do that I'm reg tech's👌
 6 3:36 PM - 7 July, 2014
"You could mix 100 bpm tracks to 115-120 bpm no problem."

Damn Lol

nm
DJ GaFFle 4:36 PM - 7 July, 2014
SMH... I don't understand these guys who want +50bpm capability on their TT's.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:48 PM - 7 July, 2014
Quote:

Man, I saw that post and was like.....Maybe it's an EDM Drum thing...
DJ Remy USA 5:55 PM - 7 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Man, I saw that post and was like.....Maybe it's an EDM Drum thing...

I like the extra range honestly when mxing them old ass tracks were the tempo doesnt stick sometimes I need to take it a little higher. I know in vinyl days it wouldnt work but its DVS days key lock that sum bitch and pitch it up if you need to.
 6 6:03 PM - 7 July, 2014
Nothing wrong with a little higher but if you go from 100 to 115-120, that also means you can go from 100 to 80-85. Think about it. lol

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:35 PM - 7 July, 2014
Quote:
I know in vinyl days it wouldnt work but its DVS days key lock that sum bitch and pitch it up if you need to.

You know, I have a hangup about that....Never would try to mix tracks that are more that +/- 2.5% of the pitch range (Technics 1200)...like it's cheating or something, but I have no problem using loops....lol.
AKIEM 9:00 PM - 7 July, 2014
Two decades, doubt I EVER pitched outside -3 +5.
eugguy 9:31 PM - 7 July, 2014
Quote:
Two decades, doubt I EVER pitched outside -3 +5.

Especially today when you go out of the 3-5% pitch range...you start to hear artifacts, digital distortion when you step out of that range. Pitching over 5% means you need to pick a different song.
DJ Remy USA 2:18 AM - 8 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
I know in vinyl days it wouldnt work but its DVS days key lock that sum bitch and pitch it up if you need to.

You know, I have a hangup about that....Never would try to mix tracks that are more that +/- 2.5% of the pitch range (Technics 1200)...like it's cheating or something, but I have no problem using loops....lol.

I get you but at the same time if the songs mix they mix so I try not to limit myself at all but makes sense without key lock
djvtyme85 2:55 AM - 8 July, 2014
3%-5% learn your music and work your way up. its not hard to do. 100bpm to 115 bpm is a crazy jump but you can do it with 4 songs working your way up. better for the music, crowd and no audio distortion.
DJ Tecniq 6:51 AM - 8 July, 2014
Quote:
Nothing wrong with a little higher but if you go from 100 to 115-120, that also means you can go from 100 to 80-85. Think about it. lol

nm
exactly. So there's no need for transition edits anymore. I have never used the m5g's except on vinyl before there was serato. Curious how easy it would be to mix lower bpm tracks into higher ranges that normal technic's can't. Believe it or not that extra pitch range will help out a lot especially with key lock.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:51 AM - 8 July, 2014
Quote:
I get you but at the same time if the songs mix they mix so I try not to limit myself at all but makes sense without key lock

I guess that's an added feature of using CDJ's then to get over that boundary.

I'm keeping it "Real"....lol.
Taipanic 2:29 PM - 8 July, 2014
I find some use for the extreme pitch levels - on the fly transitions, effects, etc... I don't use it very often but I don't mind having the option. Those type of effects sound better with Pitch-n-Time.
On a funny note, back in the breaks days, I use to play Rock The Funky Beats at 33rpm instead of 45. Made for a pretty cool sounding track that everyone would ask about.
DJ Remy USA 2:31 PM - 8 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I guess that's an added feature of using CDJ's then to get over that boundary.

I'm keeping it "Real"....lol.

Im a turntable guy (its my controller of choice) a friend years ago got me using key lock and mixing wide pitch ranges at first I didnt do it because all my mixes sounded like Alvin the Chipmunk.
DJ Remy USA 2:32 PM - 8 July, 2014
Quote:
I find some use for the extreme pitch levels - on the fly transitions, effects, etc... I don't use it very often but I don't mind having the option. Those type of effects sound better with Pitch-n-Time.
On a funny note, back in the breaks days, I use to play Rock The Funky Beats at 33rpm instead of 45. Made for a pretty cool sounding track that everyone would ask about.

This I do miss because of keylock none of the 33/45 even 75rpm tricks dont work on serato.
 6 2:42 PM - 8 July, 2014
Disable key lock

nm
Papa Midnight 3:01 PM - 8 July, 2014
Quote:
Especially today when you go out of the 3-5% pitch range...you start to hear artifacts, digital distortion when you step out of that range. Pitching over 5% means you need to pick a different song.

That is generated by the key lock algorithm in Scratch Live, ITCH, and DJ. This was one of the purpose of releasing Pitch N' Time as a plugin (not to mention that there was no shortage of threads and participants complaining about the quality of the key lock).

That said, I prefer M5G's. I use a pitch range of ±16.

Quote:
if the songs mix they mix

Pretty much.
eugguy 3:26 PM - 8 July, 2014
M5Gs are king.
ODT 7:16 PM - 8 July, 2014
Mk2's and save myself a lot of money :)
eugguy 7:18 PM - 8 July, 2014
MK2's are a win too. Can't really go wrong with any of the technics line-up. I just happened to have gotten a sick deal on a pair of M5Gs...I was always happy with my 1200's...
 6 8:15 PM - 8 July, 2014
Quote:
M5Gs are king.

Sooooo glad I sold my other technics and got m5g's before the announcement by Panasonic.

nm
ninos 7:09 AM - 9 July, 2014
Any pair of 1200s will work for me, havent used the 5gs yet, but i own a set of 1210mk5s and 1200mk5s.

Everytime im around a set of 1200s i get all giddy and shit, like a kid in a candy store haha
Mighty Dragon Sounds 1:11 PM - 10 July, 2014
1210 M5Gs!!!!
eugguy 7:02 PM - 10 July, 2014
Quote:
Any pair of 1200s will work for me, havent used the 5gs yet, but i own a set of 1210mk5s and 1200mk5s.

Everytime im around a set of 1200s i get all giddy and shit, like a kid in a candy store haha

M5G's is the hottest of the three sisters.