DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

LIVE LOOP RECORDING?

DJDBAG 7:11 PM - 21 December, 2011
So i am looking to be able to record samples live and loop them. Kind of want to be building beats step by step live at a show ie cut chemist and dj shadow style, what would i need to pull this off a sampler? a loop pedal? any ideas?
O.B.1 7:16 PM - 21 December, 2011
I use a boss loop-station rc20-xl, but newer versions exist now.
Also it is possible to do on the ttm57 echo with the feedback parameter set to 100% and the mix level at 50% but it's pretty limited as far as the maximum milliseconds of delay it allows.
-and it's super fun to beat box into one of those pedals too!
DJDBAG 7:23 PM - 21 December, 2011
How could i set it up with a loop station

id be using techs and a 57
Dj Shamann 8:01 PM - 21 December, 2011
I never used the loop station but I would imagine you would hook it up to FlexFX, when you want to send something engage the FlexFX button from the channel you want to sample.
dj_soo 8:09 PM - 21 December, 2011
you can use ableton, but you'd have to set it up without using Bridge since looping isn't supported in bridge yet (massive oversight on their part)

Either that or get Traktor :P
DJDBAG 8:36 PM - 21 December, 2011
how would i use ableton, as Santa (me) is bringing it for x mas
dj_soo 8:49 PM - 21 December, 2011
Well, ideally you'd want 2 computers but you could probably do it using one if it's powerful enough. You would also want another audio interface, various midi controllers (foot pedal controller would be ideal) and possibly a mixing board.

What you'd want to do is route the audio in serato into ableton and then run the audio to your speakers - you'd probably want to figure a way to run your mixer to both the mains and ableton simultaneously and set it up so the audio is muted until your loops is set and engaged. Probably take a bit of trial and error with midi mapping to get right...
sacrilicious 2:45 AM - 22 December, 2011
You can do a really primitive version with the echo effect if you're careful (precise).
Daktyl 5:13 AM - 22 December, 2011
line6 makes some pretty good fx pedals for looping
line6.com
^^^delay pedal that also has a built in 14 second looping function. it has an overdub function so you can layer loops, but controlling them individually can be kind of rough. it's better for short clips, but it has the added bonus of any kind of echo/delay effect you could ever want.

line6.com
^^^more of a dedicated looper and has a bunch of prerecorded drum/instrumental loops built in, sd card slot, etc.
Evon 9:43 AM - 22 December, 2011
I think it would work with the bridge using the looper in ableton. Haven't trieded it though. But I see no reason why it shouldn't work with a little tweaking here and there and a extra soundcard.
dj_soo 9:47 AM - 22 December, 2011
looper is alright, but you're always going to have more control, more options, and just more musicality using the record/loop clip features...
Mike_P 2:52 PM - 22 December, 2011
You can also do it using the SP6.
Mike_P 2:53 PM - 22 December, 2011
But then you can't have scratch loops or manipulated loops. NM. lol
DJDBAG 2:54 PM - 22 December, 2011
how could i set this up with the sp6. i think the boss pedal is the best for my needs but i am uncertain as how i would hook it up in my setup
Mike_P 5:07 PM - 22 December, 2011
Well on the SP6 you can do simple loops and stack them to make a song. Say one loop for drums then add to a bank then loop a baseline and add to a bank, then loop a guitar riff and add to bank, just stacking sounds on top of each other. Thing about using the SP6 though is that you won't be able to loop scratches or any manipulation of the sample. So it's very limited.
O.B.1 6:44 PM - 22 December, 2011
I didn't know the SP6 could loop, I thought it was just for triggering one-shot samples... shows ya what I know :p
Daktyl 10:05 PM - 22 December, 2011
if you have a track looped on a deck and drag to the sp6, it will continue playing the loop. also, if you have a song loaded on the sp6, you can set it to play from a preset loop. But like people said, you can't record to the sp6, so looping a scratch or other manipulation is out. OB1, how versatile is the boss pedal? The line6 ones are decent, but the dl4 only has 14 seconds recording time, and you can't really control the loops individually. the jm4 looks legit, but i've never messed with it
DJDBAG 12:15 AM - 23 December, 2011
SO OB1 how would i hook up the loop recorder from my 57? im very confused
dj_soo 12:19 AM - 23 December, 2011
You can loop samples with the sp6 but you can't record live sounds and loop them on the fly like with ableton, a loop pedal, or traktor
DJDBAG 12:23 AM - 23 December, 2011
no i understand that
if i got the boss pedal im wondering how the wiring works, thats where i am getting tripped up
Daktyl 1:56 AM - 23 December, 2011
fx send to input on pedal, out on pedal to fx return. or booth out on mixer to pedal in, pedal out to aux input on mixer. you basically can hook it up any way you want to using a send/return signal path... depending on what model loopstation you get, you have different in/out options. all have 1/4 inch, some also have xlr
Evon 11:08 AM - 23 December, 2011
SP-6?? How are you supposed to keep track on all those loops without some form of sync?
dj_soo 10:58 PM - 23 December, 2011
i did a routine for a show where I created a live remix using both decks (1 turntable, one internal), and about 5 banks of the SP6 sampler.

All kept in time manually, all done live.

Going to make a video for it in Jan..

but yea to answer this question:

Quote:
How are you supposed to keep track on all those loops without some form of sync?

I assigned pitch bends and pitch sliders to each of the banks that I was controlling and then it was just practice practice practice.
Evon 10:48 AM - 24 December, 2011
Quote:
I assigned pitch bends and pitch sliders to each of the banks that I was controlling and then it was just practice practice practice.

I see. I would never layer tracks like that when playing live. Tried it at home a few times and I trainwrech sooner or later every time. The risk compared to reward is just to great doing it live for me. I use the bridge to do this though. But I would much like Serato to add sync to sp6
echa1945mf 11:03 PM - 24 December, 2011
Quote:
SP-6?? How are you supposed to keep track on all those loops without some form of sync?

using SL Recording featured then drop it to SP6 or................

premade loops (percussions,beats,accapella,lead synth) all in the same tempo,to control it i use:

1.Behringer BCF2000
to control the play,stop,load,volume fader and pitch fader in SP6

2.Native Instrument X1 Controller
SP6 pitch bending,Browsing crates,tracks and load to decks,loop and loop rolls,FX

3.Korg Nanopad2
to control switching cue points in SP6 and selecting banks in SP6

[voila ! 24 extra decks in Ssl (eat that traktor) ,FYI i play Progressive House and Techno so basicly my set revolves around the same bpm

there you go ! extra 24 decks to play with in SSL,who needs sync anyway when you got ears LMAO!!!

my complete DJ set up is (big events and when the club pays me a shitload of money to book my Semi-Liveset (i do have a 4 piece live electronic band with more toys to fiddle with on stage) :

laptop,2 CDJ's (anything the club provide but i prefer the 2000's),Mixer (Any Mixer the club Provides (but a 2000 will make me a happy boy),SL2,Behringer BCF 2000+Native Instrument X1 Controller (Connected to a Belkin powered hub),Korg Kaos Pad 3 and a Novation UltraNova for filling in melodies and shit
dj_soo 11:08 PM - 24 December, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

I see. I would never layer tracks like that when playing live. Tried it at home a few times and I trainwrech sooner or later every time. The risk compared to reward is just to great doing it live for me. I use the bridge to do this though. But I would much like Serato to add sync to sp6

and that's where practice comes in.

Really, I'm sure a concert violinist would also find it much easier to just play a tape and pretend to play all those notes using all that technique but hey, why risk fucking up?

Really, isn't the point of performance seeing that a performer has the skill to perform challenging material and not fuck up rather than trying their best to automate and circumvent the years it takes to build that skill?
echa1945mf 11:09 PM - 24 December, 2011
meh most of the time its only me,my laptop,sl3,and an X1 LMAO!!!
echa1945mf 11:11 PM - 24 December, 2011
for this i say maybe yeah maybe no to Sync in SP6,would be nice to have it,but without im good, especially if the synced up SP6 screws up SSL stability ...noooo im gonna downgrade in that case LOL
echa1945mf 11:15 PM - 24 December, 2011
youre affraid of F*uckin up playing loops in a live situation ? do what i do,check out how i mark and color coded my BCF2000 (this helps you out when ur really2 drunk too) LOL !! twitpic.com
echa1945mf 11:25 PM - 24 December, 2011
Quote:
Really, isn't the point of performance seeing that a performer has the skill to perform challenging material and not fuck up rather than trying their best to automate and circumvent the years it takes to build that skill?

+100000 thats what separate the men from the boys and transvestites
Rory Heath 10:03 AM - 4 February, 2012
So I want to control what I record into Serato (thru the Record feature) by using the flex FX buttons as a sort of loop recorder workaround that lets me choose what gets recorded without having to use any b1-b6 buttons or mouse clicks

Here's my setup:
In recorder plugin I select Aux Input as the record source

On the back of the mixer I plugged in a 1/8 stereo jack (with 1/4" tip adapter) into the right FlexFX send slot and then plugged the other side of the cable (RCAs) into the AUX in slot.

I've also assigned REC and Load to selected deck to a shortcut on the mixer (J1 up, J1 down)

So now, If i want to loop a scratch I did live, I just have to hit the FlexFX of the respective channel I want, hit J1 up to record, J1 down to load to selected deck, and then move it over into the SP-6 sample player as needed.

For now the setup works great, and I just have to map a few other buttons in the group to get this all working perfect. Only thing I'm wondering is If I risk frying anything in the 57sl by doing it like this. I'm thinking it should be fine.
O.B.1 1:46 AM - 5 February, 2012
^^^sounds cool, post a vid
DJBIGWIZ 7:51 PM - 5 February, 2012
if you assign Record Source + and - to the other 2 parameters of J1 (or any other 2 midi controls) you can use them to switch between CH A post and CH B post with out having to do the whole cables to and from FlexFX loop to Aux in and it leaves your FlexFX buttons to control the mixers FX that could be added to your recording.
Rory Heath 10:29 AM - 29 February, 2012
Big Wiz, I see what you're saying, but the reason why I went my route is because of simplicity and workflow. While I'm in the middle of the mix, I don't want to have to count button clicks to HOPE that I'm recording the correct side. And most of the time I need this for one thing: to make my oncoming transition a little cooler by recording a couple scratches and looping them instead of doing them live for the next 2 minutes. Just makes everything sound more put together. This method also allows you get this all done without having the record tab present on the screen which for most intents and purposes is a misuse of the space I could be using for prepare, DJ-FX, or Sp-6.

Now if Serato would open up ttm57 mappings to more parameters like specifically POST CH A and POST CH B as well as being able to get to the FX section in the group base Menu (the menu you get when you press group while the hardware tab is up), then this would all be a different story. But until such simple mappings are enabled, I'm forced to cleverly Jerry Rig my 57.

Granted, I am losing the use of an external FX but at the current moment I don't use one so it's not really a loss to me. Try out my way and see if it doesn't help things flow a little better.
DJBIGWIZ 8:19 PM - 29 February, 2012
Quote:
Try out my way and see if it doesn't help things flow a little better.

I'm good... I usually use hardware loopers. Been doing the loop thing for a while. It's like you said though...
Quote:
....I went my route is because of simplicity and workflow.

I think there are different ways of working that are simpler, easier or just make more sense to different people. There's really no "right" or "wrong" way as long as you get the end results you're looking for and it works for you. I'd rather keep the ability to use the effects.
It's cool you came up with a different way to do it though. Good stuff.
s3kn0tr0n1c 9:18 PM - 29 February, 2012
you can loop on kaoss pad 3 and layer up to 4 loops, then re-sample them onto 1 loop to then add more loops etc etc..then fx them and re-sample the fx'ed loops etc etc ;) ;)