Serato DJ Lite / Intro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Lite / Intro software and controllers.

Lock playing deck

Mimizuku no Lew 10:06 PM - 20 December, 2011
Would it be possible to add the option to lock the playing deck to prevent a new track being loaded if a deck is playing please? There have been a few times where I've accidentally hit the wrong track load button and totally killed a mix and this is quite a useful feature that I miss from Traktor (and I notice that it's an option in Itch so hopefully it would be possible to add to Intro).
DJ Dit-E 1:25 AM - 21 December, 2011
I agree, but, as I've made the same mistake, it's helped me grow and realize that there is much more attention to detail necessary in DJing than Traktor and VDJ would show you.

Just some food for thought...
the SOUNDINSURGENT 2:06 AM - 21 December, 2011
Care to expand on that ^^
What details??
DJ Dit-E 6:01 AM - 21 December, 2011
Well, whereas VDJ and Traktor cater to you and don't let you make mistakes, Serato doesn't. With Serato, it's either you get better and use the technology to the fullest or you suck (more or less). Your cue placement actually matters... The way you use the jogwheel/platter makes a difference (meaning everything you do is picked up, unlike VDJ)... The wave patterns don't lay out the beat for you like VDJ does... For me, the list of, sometimes minor, things goes on and on.
Mimizuku no Lew 8:16 AM - 21 December, 2011
Quote:
Well, whereas VDJ and Traktor cater to you and don't let you make mistakes, Serato doesn't.

And yet Itch does have the option to lock a playing deck.
DJ Dit-E 8:51 AM - 21 December, 2011
Your point? That's in response to loading on the wrong deck. Serato, obviously, doesn't cater to those not paying attention to what they're doing.

Locking the bpm has nothing to do with that....

Yes, you can lock the the two decks.......until you load the next song. Then the sync on the deck you just loaded a song onto turns off.

....still not really grasping your point.
Mimizuku no Lew 8:55 AM - 21 December, 2011
Where exactly did I mention locking the BPM? I'm not talking about sync at all as never use it anyway. I'm talking about preventing you from accidentally loading a new track on a deck that's playing.
DJ Dit-E 9:12 AM - 21 December, 2011
And, as I point out in the First sentence, the portion you quoted is directly related to the initial topic of locking the decks. Where exactly did I bring up Itch? And where, in my response to theSoundInsurgent, did I address you? Itch and DJ Intro are two separate products. Comparing them is pointless. If you like the features of Itch, you should purchase a controller that is compatible with Itch and use that. This software is meant for DJ's learning the trade...not cater to those who would rather compare the product to a bunch of other products.
And, as I point out in the First sentence, the portion you quoted is directly related to the initial topic of locking the decks. Where exactly did I bring up Itch? And where, in my response to theSoundInsurgent, did I address you? Itch and DJ Intro are two separate products. Comparing them is pointless. If you like the features of Itch, you should purchase a controller that is compatible with Itch and use that. This software is meant for DJ's learning the trade...not cater to those who would rather compare the product to a bunch of other products.
Mimizuku no Lew 9:50 AM - 21 December, 2011
Quote:
And, as I point out in the First sentence, the portion you quoted is directly related to the initial topic of locking the decks.

…which is exactly what this thread is about. I'm still not sure why you brought locking the BPM into it in the first place.

Quote:
Where exactly did I bring up Itch?

I brought it up in the OP.

Quote:
And where, in my response to theSoundInsurgent, did I address you?

Well, considering the SOUNDINSURGENT's question was in regard you your answer of my post I think it's allowable for me to post. That's how a forum works, you see.

Quote:
Itch and DJ Intro are two separate products. Comparing them is pointless.

They're separate but closely related (and probably share a lot of the same code), so it's definitely not pointless to compare the two.

Quote:
If you like the features of Itch, you should purchase a controller that is compatible with Itch and use that. This software is meant for DJ's learning the trade...not cater to those who would rather compare the product to a bunch of other products.

And I am learning the trade. That's why I'm using Intro. Is it really that heinous to ask if it's possible to add a feature that would help when starting out?
the SOUNDINSURGENT 11:31 AM - 21 December, 2011
@ Mimizuku no Lew, don't fret it obvious he does know what the heck he's taking about. Even SSL has this. Its in the options, its called something like "don't load playing deck" or something like that. Intro doesn't have this though. He admits to being a wave rider, meaning if there were no waves he couldn't mix......He mentions Traktor but I seriously doubt he's ever used it cause he just bashes VDJ. As far as Serato using technology to the fullest like he says is BS! I could go on about this idiot but I won't cause he's not worth it, probably doesn't even own a Rane interface............
phatbob 11:35 AM - 21 December, 2011
Surely you're both talking about completely different things? This is the most confusing thread I've ever read.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 11:49 AM - 21 December, 2011
Lol!
Mimizuku no Lew 1:04 PM - 21 December, 2011
I don't understand how it happened, really. I thought I was quite clear in the OP exactly what I was asking about.
phatbob 2:26 PM - 21 December, 2011
I thought so too, really...

In answer to your original question, I do actually see that as a 'pro' feature, not something which really matters in the bedroom situation Intro is designed for, so I doubt it will be high up the priority list for Serato.
WarpNote 8:07 PM - 21 December, 2011
What phatbob said. Also, after using SSL for short while most user turn this option off anyway. Lock playing deck function is "a beginners safeguard", if you leave on you'll most likely pick up bad habits. My 2 cents...
the SOUNDINSURGENT 8:32 PM - 21 December, 2011
Yup gotta have those instant doubles, lol!!
Mimizuku no Lew 9:19 PM - 21 December, 2011
Quote:

Yeah, that's one of the Times I find myself messing up and loading on the wrong deck.
djsmuve415 2:01 AM - 22 December, 2011
Quote:

Exactly! u need this in SSL - never know when a needle or turntable are gonna fuck up!
But.......
having said that - using a Mixtrack Pro is another story.. those damn headphone cue & load track buttons are so friggin' close to each other, that a couple of times in a quick heap - I have pressed the wrong one by accident. so... I guess I'm one for it being on Intro myself - cuz accidents do happen,,, even to the ones 'who are paying attention'..
WarpNote 9:33 AM - 22 December, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, that's one of the Times I find myself messing up and loading on the wrong deck.

Practice my Padawan Mimizuku, practice... makes prefect...

Watchwww.youtube.com

...running of to hide now ;-)
DJ Dit-E 12:21 AM - 23 December, 2011
Quote:
Lock playing deck function is "a beginners safeguard", if you leave on you'll most likely pick up bad habits. My 2 cents...

All I was saying...

This shit is funny...my bad, I read something wrong. Now, I'm an idiot who has never used other products (wrong) and an idiot for bashing the software that came specifically with my product.....that makes sense.

The only thing you brought up was locking the decks...as of right now, the only thing you can lock is the BPM. Simple misundertanding. Also, I never said you couldn't reply, I was just curious as to if I brought you up in response to another person in the thread.

Itch and Intro are two products marketed to two different styles of DJs. Obviously, with the amount of people branching out to this product to use a smaller setup, there will be a need for things to change. Sharing the same code doesn't necessitate functions. This product can be used as a tool for those who already can or as a tool for those needing to learn what it takes to be a 'pro' dj. Not cater to those who are happy using the 'safeguards' (as people have put it) of other beginner (never-going-to-really-progress) DJ programs (VDJ LE, Free Version of Traktor, and the BS 'DJ' programs that don't work).

As I said, if you like the features of Itch...there are controllers you can pay for to get all of the features. As I see it, Intro isn't set-up to have all of the features of the 'pro' software - making beginners learn the basics of DJing before pretending they're DJ AM, Qbert or Revolution. It is in no way heinous to request features, I just think a little more thought in to what the product is, what the products you're comparing are, and who they're meant for is necessary before making those requests.

But holy hell, I'm an idiotic, asshole for misreading and misunderstanding a post and then voicing my opinion on how Intro is a better product to actually learn on.

And, Insurgent, since I've seen you ignorantly bash countless people in multiple forums, I can beat match without wave forms. Lol, that's what I started on... I used a buddy's rig at a get together. went out and bought a turntable, couldn't afford another one (or any Rane products), sold it and went with the cheaper route...a MIDI controller. How the f**k are you even on here talking s**t on "wave riding" when this is a BEGINNER DJ SOFTWARE to begin with? But, yeah...you know everything and are a super bad ass......grow up and stop talking about people you don't know over the internet.
Mimizuku no Lew 12:55 AM - 23 December, 2011
Quote:
This shit is funny...my bad, I read something wrong. Now, I'm an idiot who has never used other products (wrong) and an idiot for bashing the software that came specifically with my product.....that makes sense.

The only thing you brought up was locking the decks...as of right now, the only thing you can lock is the BPM. Simple misunderstanding.

I think that's exactly the problem, a misunderstanding. In fact, possibly more than one. You referred to locking the BPM but that's not what I'm actually asking about. It probably didn't help that I tried using the terminology used in ITCH's preferences which may not be the clearest. In Traktor it's listed as "load only in stopped deck", in other words it will prevent you from accidentally loading a track in a deck that's currently playing.

Quote:
Also, I never said you couldn't reply, I was just curious as to if I brought you up in response to another person in the thread.

Unfortunately on a forum unless you quote the post it's not always easy to know which post you're replying to. Maybe we both jumped the gun, but I think we're still arguing completely different things.

Quote:
Itch and Intro are two products marketed to two different styles of DJs. Obviously, with the amount of people branching out to this product to use a smaller setup, there will be a need for things to change. Sharing the same code doesn't necessitate functions.

True, but I would hope that it would mean that functionality would be able to be ported from one product to the other without too much trouble if necessary.

Quote:
This product can be used as a tool for those who already can or as a tool for those needing to learn what it takes to be a 'pro' dj. Not cater to those who are happy using the 'safeguards' (as people have put it) of other beginner (never-going-to-really-progress) DJ programs (VDJ LE, Free Version of Traktor, and the BS 'DJ' programs that don't work).

I understand that, and it seems that there's some disagreement on whether protecting playing decks from loading new tracks is a beginner or an advanced feature, hence how long this thread has become.

It probably doesn't help that I'm playing old-school hardcore where backspins and turntable brakes are useful features so there are times where I'm using the instant double feature several times in rapid succession. If it wasn't for the turntable brake and the fact that I'm genuinely interested in using Serato software I'd just stick with Traktor 2 but from what I've seen of Intro so far I'm impressed and I'd like to see it continue to improve as it's being bundled with controllers. The only problem from my point of view is that while the other bundled software generally has well-customised mapping for the hardware with which it's bundled Intro still has a little way to go when the controllers with which it works have buttons that do nothing at all, even though the software has working functionality that is only accessible from the computer keyboard (like the "manual/auto loop" buttons on the Mixtrack Pro which are currently dead; even if auto-loops are out of the question it would look a whole lot better if they at least did something, even if they were just mapped to the "censor" function (and again with old-school hardcore that'd even be a useful function :D)).

Quote:
As I said, if you like the features of Itch...there are controllers you can pay for to get all of the features. As I see it, Intro isn't set-up to have all of the features of the 'pro' software - making beginners learn the basics of DJing before pretending they're DJ AM, Qbert or Revolution.

Again, I understand that and I can see an upgrade from my current Mixtrack Pro to an NS6 at some point in the future but for now finances dictate otherwise so there's no harm in asking for extra stuff in Intro, is there? Who knows, if they add functionality from ITCH in to Intro then surely they'll have to add more goodies into ITCH to make up for it, eh? ;-)

Quote:
It is in no way heinous to request features, I just think a little more thought in to what the product is, what the products you're comparing are, and who they're meant for is necessary before making those requests.

Yeah, well I had given it some thought. Problem is that what is a beginners' feature and what is an advanced feature is somewhat subjective. I thought that protecting a beginner from accidentally loading a track into a playing deck would be useful when we're learning to beatmatch and that being able to disable it would be more of an advanced feature for ITCH.
djsmuve415 1:41 AM - 23 December, 2011
Quote:
Again, I understand that and I can see an upgrade from my current Mixtrack Pro to an NS6 at some point in the future but for now finances dictate otherwise so there's no harm in asking for extra stuff in Intro, is there?

^This
WarpNote 4:03 AM - 23 December, 2011
When I wrote:
Quote:
Lock playing deck function is "a beginners safeguard", if you leave on you'll most likely pick up bad habits. My 2 cents...
I was in no way referring to any sync function. The "lock playing deck" prevents the DJ from loading/ejecting the wrong (playing) deck. This is much like the function found on many CDJ's where you can prevent the disc from ejecting while playing. IMO, its a beginners safeguard, and you're better off learning what deck(s) are playing out.

And for the dancing Baby Jedi Padawan, I don't mean to bash anyone,
but we need a little humor every now and then?
the SOUNDINSURGENT 4:30 AM - 23 December, 2011
@DJ Dit-E, if your ever in the Midwest, IOWA to be exact hit me up, just PM me for my number.............
DJ Dit-E 4:49 AM - 23 December, 2011
your vagueness is so perplexing.................

is it false kindness?

........actual kindness?

I'm very confused.
Mimizuku no Lew 8:38 AM - 23 December, 2011
Quote:

That actually gave me a chuckle I needed, having use lost my job. I guess I have plenty of time to practice now, eh?
WarpNote 10:04 AM - 23 December, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

That actually gave me a chuckle I needed, having use lost my job. I guess I have plenty of time to practice now, eh?

My sympathies, loosing your job is no fun, had the same thing happen to me some years ago, so I know what it feels like. Eventually it actually gave me an opportunity to focus more on the things I like, art & music. And I get to chose my clients these days.

So try to look at it as a new opportunity, and best wishes for a 2012 !
the SOUNDINSURGENT 3:29 PM - 23 December, 2011
Quote:
your vagueness is so perplexing.................

is it false kindness?

........actual kindness?

I'm very confused.

Naw man I'm foreal, we throw are own shows and always have guest djs so yeah I'm serious. I guess my offer is for anyone here, if your in Iowa Holla at me and we'll set something up.

www.waxmuseumrecords.com