DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Any Mobile DJ's on Long Island?

Blackdevil77 1:34 AM - 8 December, 2011
Some of you may have read some of my other threads. I'm a mobile DJ kind of "re-starting" out. I started DJ-ing in 2008, and due to a very busy school schedule and work schedule, I was un-able to continue and had to take a break for a while. Now I'm back in the game, trying to learn as much as possible.

Basically, I'm looking for a mobile DJ on Long Island (around Nassau County would be great) that wouldn't mind letting me tag along with them, help them out with carrying equipment, setting up etc. Kind of like a roadie. I just want the experience and be able to observe how it is done by a true pro that has been in the business a while. I have my own gear, (DJM-700, CDJ-850's, macbook pro with Serato SL2, JBL PRX618s-XLF subwoofers (2) and 2 JBL PRX615m's, wireless Sennheiser ew135 microphone, and some lighting with truss). If needed, I'm willing to bring some of my equipment along also if it helps you out, or if you would like. Anybody interested in my area, let me know. I'd love to learn as much as possible.
lvmez 2:00 AM - 8 December, 2011
you own 10k in equipment and NOW you want to be somebodies roadie? lol.

it usually works the other way around. roadie, learn to dj, buy used equipment and do your own gigs.
Blackdevil77 2:14 AM - 8 December, 2011
Lmao, insane isn't it? 2 things about the ridiculous amount of equipment.

1. I have it because I do some smaller stuff for friends and family, some bar gigs, etc. I'd like to gain more experience with the more serious stuff.

2. I'm a nerd and just love this stuff as it is. These things are like my toys lol. I've worked my ass off for many years to accumulate these things.
Blackdevil77 2:22 AM - 8 December, 2011
Also forgot to mention, I did some roadie-ing back in 2008, but since then the guy I roadied with moved
DJ Frank Labate 2:48 AM - 8 December, 2011
I'm a mobile DJ from Suffolk and the best advice is "nothing to it but to do it." Looks like you already know how to DJ and you have the gear. The tough part is booking the jobs but after that just do what you do and you should be fine.
Blackdevil77 2:52 AM - 8 December, 2011
That's what I have been doing so far with the smaller gigs I've been getting, like bars etc. I just want to gain as much experience as possible for the more important gigs. I want to be more confident walking into a gig, and feel that I am better able to please my clients and audience. There's always stuff to learn. The most important type of gig I have done is sweet 16's, and I have only done 2. I've done a festival in park for free, but made 60 bucks in tips, 4 bar gigs, some house parties etc.
Certified Quality Entertainment 4:30 PM - 8 December, 2011
I'm in Long Island here too. I've been fairly slow with gigs recently, but i will keep you i mind.
Frank Labate, where in Suffolk you from? I'm in Holtsville.
Blackdevil77 4:46 PM - 8 December, 2011
Thank you!!!

I'm actually in Nassau county. How far out in Suffolk is Holtsville?
DJ Frank Labate 5:12 PM - 8 December, 2011
I'm From Huntington Station. I'm actually in Newark, DE for most of the fall, winter and spring because I attend the University of Delaware but I'm home during the summer. And Blackdevil77 It looks like you want to really grow as an entertainer so I would suggest looking at lighting packages and start connecting with some MCs as a first step towards some of the bigger gigs.
DJ Frank Labate 5:15 PM - 8 December, 2011
As for me, I have been sticking to smaller gigs. I like to keep it simple. Me, my speakers, my lights and a good time. For now I'm happy being a one man party and being able to carry all my gear in my sedan.
Blackdevil77 5:16 PM - 8 December, 2011
Quote:
I'm From Huntington Station. I'm actually in Newark, DE for most of the fall, winter and spring because I attend the University of Delaware but I'm home during the summer. And Blackdevil77 It looks like you want to really grow as an entertainer so I would suggest looking at lighting packages and start connecting with some MCs as a first step towards some of the bigger gigs.

I have some lights right now, with a truss. There are a few more lights I would like to add along with DMX control. So far I have 2 ADJ quad phases, a Chauvet Cubix and a ADJ Galaxian 3D with a Chauvet Hurricane 1800 flex.

How should I go about connecting with these MC's? Any right/wrong ways to do it?
DJ Frank Labate 5:27 PM - 8 December, 2011
I briefly worked for a big mobile entertainment company and meet a bunch of MCs there who are always looking for gigs so that's a good way of meeting people. I'm sure you could go to local music stores and ask around too.
Blackdevil77 7:00 PM - 8 December, 2011
Quote:
I briefly worked for a big mobile entertainment company and meet a bunch of MCs there who are always looking for gigs so that's a good way of meeting people. I'm sure you could go to local music stores and ask around too.

Nice, thanks for the info! The guy I roadied with back in 2008 actually owned an entertainment company. Its actually the same company that does that Blood Manor haunted house in New York City!
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:03 PM - 8 December, 2011
I dj on long islands but I limit myself to 6 a night
Blackdevil77 12:02 AM - 9 December, 2011
6 a night??? Or 6 a month? lol
Certified Quality Entertainment 12:31 AM - 9 December, 2011
Ice teas I'm assuming
Certified Quality Entertainment 12:35 AM - 9 December, 2011
Quote:
Thank you!!!

Exit 62 on lie. My parents live in lynbrook
Blackdevil77 12:38 AM - 9 December, 2011
Quote:
Ice teas I'm assuming

WOOW! I can't believe I didn't get that lmao!
Blackdevil77 12:42 AM - 9 December, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you!!!

Oh ok that's not that bad. Wow really? I'm within walking distance of lynbrook
Blackdevil77 12:57 AM - 9 December, 2011
Quote:
Certified Quality Entertainment

I just checked out your website, it looks great!

I noticed one typo on your equipment page. It says "Speakers and Aufio by JBL" I'm assuming it's supposed to say audio.

I'm not trying to sound like a smart ass so please don't take it that why. Just noticed and wanna help out
canicypher 4:52 AM - 9 December, 2011
Hey, I live in Syosset and have worked with different mobile dj companies, as well as have done my own mobile gigs. I'm currently starting my own mobile dj/event entertainment company. I learned the same way being mentioned..went out with some established mobile dj's/mc's and just took everything in. PM me if you want to get up and chill, talk DJing and maybe work together (that actually goes for every one in LI, not just Blackdevil lol).
Certified Quality Entertainment 12:26 PM - 9 December, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you!!!

Really, where do u live?
Certified Quality Entertainment 12:26 PM - 9 December, 2011
Quote:
Hey, I live in Syosset and have worked with different mobile dj companies, as well as have done my own mobile gigs. I'm currently starting my own mobile dj/event entertainment company. I learned the same way being mentioned..went out with some established mobile dj's/mc's and just took everything in. PM me if you want to get up and chill, talk DJing and maybe work together (that actually goes for every one in LI, not just Blackdevil lol).

Sounds good to me, I'm down. Just need some free time now! Lol
Blackdevil77 1:44 PM - 9 December, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you!!!

Really, where do u live?

I'm in Malverne!
Certified Quality Entertainment 2:07 PM - 9 December, 2011
I played soccer for Malverne high school. I went to east rockaway where we had a combined soccer team with you guys. What year did you graduate?
Blackdevil77 2:13 PM - 9 December, 2011
I graduated in 2008, but I went to valley stream north. A lot of malverne people went to north, not sure why.
Blackdevil77 5:12 PM - 22 December, 2011
Still hunting around for a local DJ that wouldn't mind a roadie. I've looked on Wedj.com but most of the guys listed are part of production company's and I don't know who's gonna get my e-mail if I e-mail them or if it would even be looked at.
DJkushy 7:35 PM - 22 December, 2011
Just stumbled upon this, i graduated from north in 2006, message me your name and info. Such a small world my first day on this site i bump into someone who went to highschool with me.
Blackdevil77 7:40 PM - 22 December, 2011
Message sent! What a small world lol
canicypher 5:01 AM - 23 December, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Sounds good to me, I'm down. Just need some free time now! Lol

I hear that!
Blackdevil77 3:55 PM - 27 December, 2011
Cypher, pm me when you are gonna be free, I'd love to meet up!

DJ Kushy, did you see my pm?
DJANGEL "EL FUERTE" 5:12 PM - 27 December, 2011
Blackdevil77 where u @? Im in Nassau near Hofstra U.
Blackdevil77 5:12 PM - 27 December, 2011
Wow your very close to me. I'm in Nassau by Franklin Square!
DJANGEL "EL FUERTE" 5:14 PM - 27 December, 2011
Check my site and check out wat we do. If u got any question ur welcome to call me.
Blackdevil77 5:16 PM - 27 December, 2011
Quote:
Check my site and check out wat we do. If u got any question ur welcome to call me.

Ok awesome, definitely! I'll check it out as soon as I get home from work, THANKS!
DJANGEL "EL FUERTE" 5:20 PM - 27 December, 2011
@ Cypher if u need anyone to do ur latin(bilingual) fluent in E/S gigs call us up. We are just like true believers in networking!
DJ Garebear 5:41 PM - 27 December, 2011
I'm not always in the Long Island area, I mobile DJ everywhere from Boston to Northern New Jersey. If your still looking to roadie with someone then hit me up, I start getting gigs again once the weather gets a little better. I don't always check on this account but shoot me an email at djgarebear@gmail.com.

but are you only looking into mobile gigs? Because I personally do more club gigs than mobile gigs
Blackdevil77 6:56 PM - 27 December, 2011
I definitely want/need to roadie with someone. Ill keep your e-mail handy, thanks!
canicypher 10:39 PM - 27 December, 2011
Quote:
Wow your very close to me. I'm in Nassau by Franklin Square!

Damn, I was around Hofstra today!