DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Napster Support?

DJ B-KO 11:30 PM - 23 October, 2007
Does SSL support tracks that i have downloaded with Napster? If not, are there plans on supporting them in the future?

Thanks,
DJ B-KO
Dj_KaGeN 11:34 PM - 23 October, 2007
does Napster have DRM? if it does, then you need to burn the music to CD to get rid of it, then rip it back to a format that readable in SSL. [.mp3 .aiff .wav]
DJ B-KO 11:48 PM - 23 October, 2007
Yes it does have DRM. In order to burn it to a disk you have to pay .99c per track which would be very expensive since i have around 3000 tracks downloaded.

Doesnt i-tunes use DRM also? If so then how is it that SSL reads i-tunes tracks from the i-tunes library?
Dj_KaGeN 12:07 AM - 24 October, 2007
ANYTHING DRM gets you in the same boat.... you have to bypass the protection, now there are some threads that speak of 'bypassing' DRM for iTunes, but I haven't gone that road since I know what a pain in the balls you're about to be having.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 7:58 AM - 24 October, 2007
I have always been curious about the new Napster. Excuse my ignorance, but I am on a Mac and Napster doesn't support them I have no clue how it works.

Since you "rent the music" for the monthly fee, you can play ALL the tracks on your computer without buying them individually (although they are linked to your computer?), theoretically you could Microwave a Party with all the latest music without ever purchasing a Track?

The music is playable on the computer the account is linked to, correct? So you could hook the sound output to a PA system and play music at a gig without actually purchasing the music?

If that is true, how come more DJ's don't use it like that?

Is there a limitation (like Internet connection always required to play the tunes)?
ral 5:58 PM - 24 October, 2007
napster mp3s are downloaded to your pc. means, you dont need to be connected to the internet to play it, rite???

rhapsody is almost the same. for $70/6 months, you get unlimited music FULL preview over the browser! you can set playlist, but requires you to be online to play it.
DJ B-KO 4:35 PM - 26 October, 2007
With napster you can authorize the music to be played on up to 3 different pc's. That costs $9.99 a month. You do not need to be connected to the internet to play them.

You may also download the tracks to a portable napster to go mp3 player(which most of the popular mp3 players are). Up to 3 different devices may be used at once. this is an additional cost of $5.

You can download all the tracks you want at no extra cost with the exception of paying .99 for some tracks but most you do not need to.

This is really the best deal around for the money. Way cheaper than i tunes and more flexible i think.

More djs dont use it for a couple of reasons.
1.you can not burn the tracks unless you want to pay .99 for each one.
2.I dont know of any pc dj programs that will play the tracks. windows media will play them and alot of other player will to but no dj ones.
3.not many people no how napster even works now or what it is about. i suggest trying it out because it is deffinatly worth it. im hooked.

there are over 2 million tracks i think on there. you would think that they would have just about everything but there have been occasions where they do not have what i am looking for. The library is always getting updated though, so if its not there now chances are it will be soon.
DJ B-KO 4:37 PM - 26 October, 2007
so for a total $15 a month i have the music on 2 pcs and 2 portables. Try it out it is worth every penny and legal.
marx 4:47 PM - 26 October, 2007
alright.

the easiest way of doing this without burning disc.

soundtaxi.info

doesn't get easier then that.
marx 4:48 PM - 26 October, 2007
btw. napster is great.

great to have for certain request that u want to fill. like the dude paying u!

wifi is great.
a-swift 4:49 PM - 26 October, 2007
what professional djs are downloading tracks from napster?

nevermind,. virtual dj has napster support. you'd probably be happier with that program.
a-swift 4:49 PM - 26 October, 2007
tell the guys over at vdj i sent you there.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 12:13 AM - 28 October, 2007
Quote:
what professional djs are downloading tracks from napster?

nevermind,. virtual dj has napster support. you'd probably be happier with that program.

BTW, let me clarify, I would NEVER use Napster but I was curious how it worked and why a Microwave or iPod DJ wouldn't use it for his gigs.

I just like to know how things work and IF it could be done, not that I would do it.

I am strictly Vinyl either REAL or via emulation like Serato.
marx 1:00 AM - 28 October, 2007
okay...& downloading from napster would take your REAL title away?