DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Franchise record pool update

DJ Sniffles 4:59 PM - 23 October, 2007
So I wrote a pretty elaborate email to franchise record pool. Both to the pool coordinator, and supposedly Funkmaster Flex's email, which haha as I knew already it wasn't.

I thought it was a pain in the ass that there is no preview feature. Also, the annoyance of street type songs, and club songs all mixed up in the same Hip Hop section. Same with R&B. Great club bangers in that section, but its all fused together with "real" push my thrust in you R&B.

So....after sending my email, I got this in return

Hello Anthony,We would first like to thank you for taking the time to offer us these great suggestions and concerns and we know you will be happy to know that we do take this type of thing seriously. We read the entire email and have immediately began working on planning out our strategies on implementation. The first project for immediate release will be the preview option. This should be release within a week or so, so please be on the lookout for that. We will make an officialy announcement of its release date soon. As for the extra filtering of club/street tracks, this is something that would be in a future release. Along with implementing new features we are also working feverishly on building better relationships with the record labels inorder to get more music faster. So as we ask you to bare with us you will be happy to know that your suggestions are not going unnoticed. Thank you again for your time and we hope all is well with you.

Hopefully this is for real, this would definately make franchise a favorite, right up there with djcity.com
Gor 5:15 PM - 23 October, 2007
Awesome, I've haven't been downloading off there lately exactly for that reason. Lets hope something happens.
nik39 6:24 PM - 23 October, 2007
Quote:
Hopefully this is for real

Usually they are for real, but dont take that one week too strict... they usually take longer ;)

Quote:
Lets hope something happens.

Dito, the ratio between crap and good songs has gone low... very low. The vinyl record pool was one of the best. The mp3 pool was good, but its going down as they are right now trying to get as many tracks as possible regardless of the quality. My 2 cents.
matt212 6:28 PM - 23 October, 2007
Well, I just got this in my e-mail so they are serious about it.

* IMPORTANT NOTICE.....We would like to inform you that we are currently working on implementing a preview feature for the record bin. We know this is a feature you will appreciate and want all our members to know that our objective is complete satisfaction.
DJ Sniffles 6:31 PM - 23 October, 2007
I wish I worked in radio so I could get record label hookups with actual vinyl. that wat I can rip it at the bit rate I want. I wrote them about two weeks ago. I didn't think it would be read. a preview function will be good. but the creating a new section for straight club music will be dopetastic
DJ Sniffles 6:34 PM - 23 October, 2007
hahaha!!!!!! I wonder if they were working on this already or if my email sparked a fire. I should get a free month
DJ-A 6:35 PM - 23 October, 2007
How do you like the website (ignoring those changes you suggested)
DJ Sniffles 6:36 PM - 23 October, 2007
obviously not very much. they have good features but filtering crap from good...and then hood from club music was a bitch
DJ Sniffles 6:38 PM - 23 October, 2007
well since we are all wanting the same stuff...maybe we can brainstorm for new features they could consider seeing that they obviously respond to requests
matt212 6:40 PM - 23 October, 2007
When they preview thing going, I think it will be one of the best. The only thing I don't like right now is the way the force you to rate tracks after you download. The way they have it right now gives them false rating because I know the way I do it, I just click on anything just to get past the rate section when you log in.
matt212 6:40 PM - 23 October, 2007
When they get the preview thing going....
nik39 6:43 PM - 23 October, 2007
Quote:
How do you like the website

It sucks. There is no real navigation. Real old school pre 2000 web era.

Quote:
When they preview thing going, I think it will be one of the best.

Honestly.. I dont care about previewing online.. Why? I can download 300 tracks in less than an hour in the background, all automatically. I can "preview"/decide later when the tracks are on my harddisk. The actual hassle is to listen through all the crap, real crap.

As said... their vinyl pool was (club wise) one of the best! Not cheap, but def worth it.
DJ Sniffles 6:43 PM - 23 October, 2007
that too. the rating system is horrible
nik39 6:46 PM - 23 October, 2007
I dont even rate. Its a pain. I didnt have to (mandatory) rate when I was using the vinyl pool service.
matt212 6:55 PM - 23 October, 2007
Quote:
I can download 300 tracks in less than an hour in the background, all automatically.

Okay, I'll bite. How you do dat there?
nik39 6:58 PM - 23 October, 2007
Quote:
Okay, I'll bite. How you do dat there?

No mistery involved, I've posted about this plugin before... Use firefox with:

www.downthemall.net
DJ Sniffles 6:59 PM - 23 October, 2007
also...thanks to nik39 I have that downthemall and its been a life saver. thanks nik. but id prefer to preview. what I suggested was a preview function like itunes and whitelabel. a funtion that doesn't require to wait for a download....or open a new window for a media player. like a flash player. like how whitelabels is. also, if they do implement the filtering of club songs from the rest....well that's half the battle
nik39 7:05 PM - 23 October, 2007
Sure, to each his own. My internet line speed is fast enough, I dont have to worry. If I was on modem/telefone speed - things would be very different ;)
DJ Sniffles 9:28 PM - 23 October, 2007
any other ideas?
DJ Eighty 8 9:33 PM - 23 October, 2007
Yeah a section just for Baltimore Club/Party Music. I tried emailing them to no avail.
DJ Overpour 10:31 PM - 23 October, 2007
Quote:
I wish I worked in radio so I could get record label hookups with actual vinyl. that wat I can rip it at the bit rate I want. I wrote them about two weeks ago. I didn't think it would be read. a preview function will be good. but the creating a new section for straight club music will be dopetastic

Trust me, the corporate radio BS MORE than outweighs the benefits of the free vinyl promos
DJ Sniffles 10:37 PM - 23 October, 2007
Bmore and party music are usually under independant labels and don't really benefit from record pools. record pools are in the interest of the Labels.
DJ Eighty 8 1:24 AM - 24 October, 2007
Yeah but Franchise put's independant tracks up too.
DJ Sniffles 2:14 AM - 24 October, 2007
Like I said....the Bmore producers will not benefit from having their music on a record pool. so odds are, you won't see it anytime soon. Just like you dont see mash-ups on record pools unless loaded by a member.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 4:31 AM - 24 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
How do you like the website

It sucks. There is no real navigation. Real old school pre 2000 web era.

Quote:
When they preview thing going, I think it will be one of the best.

Honestly.. I dont care about previewing online.. Why? I can download 300 tracks in less than an hour in the background, all automatically. I can "preview"/decide later when the tracks are on my harddisk. The actual hassle is to listen through all the crap, real crap.

As said... their vinyl pool was (club wise) one of the best! Not cheap, but def worth it.

Quote:
Awesome, I've haven't been downloading off there lately exactly for that reason. Lets hope something happens.

LOL, I have to agree with nik on one thing. Although I would like previews with the pool I am in and I mentioned the preview thing to the director of the pool, he gave me a good answer that I just had to laugh at. I am ad libbing here but it basically went:

This is a Record/Music Pool! Back in the day when you had a bin of Vinyl Records, you didn't pick and choose the 8 or 10 hottest songs and just leave the rest. You took EVERYTHING home listened to it and stuck the crap over in the corner JUST in CASE the Record got hot at a later date. You probably have a ton of crap records somewhere stored today!

It's true, I just had to laugh. Serato eliminated carrying crates of vinyl, BUT NOW you guys don't even want to fill your drives with music - LOL.

Again, he is new to the digital end of Pool service, but his solution was to leave everything up for download, so just in case you passed on a cut, you could grab it at a later date. Music is serviced by FTP Apps, so a preview would be difficult so I can understand.

I guess DJcity.com may be setting the standard for the way digital pools are going to work, if Franchise is altering.

I was wondering how Franchise did their service after you joined. Did that Record Pool review thread ever happen - did I miss it?
DJ Sniffles 4:55 AM - 24 October, 2007
haha not yet....

anyways, the preview is for this reason only. on franchise there are alot of gritty street songs which i dont mind having for certain places and events, and for personal listening

(even though thats not what the record pool is for)

Now, my buddy use to dj, and when he stopped, about a year after i was starting, he was forwarding all his promo vinyl to me. I can say its a hell of alot easier to weed out vinyl you dont want than downloading damn mp3's. or maybe i've become acustomed to the instant gratification that technology has brought. haha

either way, i get what ur saying, at the same time, think of it at this stand point. They are getting a shit load of music a month. every week they put up about 100 songs. most of it is shit.

i dont know what record pools you were in, but when i was getting vinyl, it wasnt 100 a week. downloading all that shit is annoying, especially when most of it could never be played in a "trendy" club. thats why in my email i was really trying to push something for just having a seperate area for club songs. the preview thing isnt a big deal....but having an area for club, and putting the "street" music for the mixtape djs that are members would be idea than having 400 to 500 songs a month and trying to pick whats gonna be good

its like getting vinyl in the mail. you can drop it real quick, listen to 15 seconds....ok trash, next.....ok trash next... and that was it. give to ur friends...save it for later.

if they did have the ability to have club tracks in a different bin, hell yea i'll download them all. thats what i did at djcity.com since they dont really post "street" music on there. when i did the downloading i was usually watching tv, or something else and would just mute the computer and download everything that would come out. after everything was done...then i'd go and swift through what was good and what wasn't and put them in seperate folders.

so yea, the preview function i recommended was mainly cuz there are way too many songs that u cannot dance to. maybe smoke a blunt, cruise in ur car, build up the courage to go to ur neighbors house and knock him the fuck out for letting his dog shit in ur yard.......but definately not dance to
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 7:02 AM - 24 October, 2007
Quote:
its like getting vinyl in the mail. you can drop it real quick, listen to 15 seconds....ok trash, next.....ok trash next... and that was it. give to ur friends...save it for later.

Man, you just made me think of something I REALLY TRULY miss. I still listen to vinyl like that from habit. Skip in about a inch, listen, jump to groove that looks like a break, listen. If it is good I play from beginning for a while. If it is garbage, off to the side.

I think I may hit a vinyl record store (Recordtime) this week so I can just listen to some stuff like that again, LOL.
DJ Sniffles 7:04 AM - 24 October, 2007
hahaha...thats what i use to do.... jump in a good inch or so and then hit from groove to groove, if nothing catches my ear from then, toss it. thats what i did all day today
nik39 8:25 AM - 24 October, 2007
Quote:

BAd thing is... as distributing mp3s almost costs nothing - there will be a big rise in crap music, more than before. Average John and Jane Doe can make "records"/songs and send them to franchise for example.

Pure waste of time (for me).
DJ Sniffles 3:36 PM - 24 October, 2007
Not even just distributing in mp3's, but producing, and servicing an album could be done completely in a house with the right software
eric0671 3:18 PM - 13 December, 2007
I can't help but to laugh at the knick-picking you men/boys are doing here. It's safe to say that everyone CAN'T be satified with EVERYTHING. However, given price of the service, abundance of music to choose from and the DJ's JOB to break new music into the mainstream market, no DJ should be dissapointed with this relativley inexpensive service Flex is offering you and all of us.

Let me pull out my calculator..... I knick-pick 10 of 500 plus songs songs Flex's Pool has to offer. Retail, that would be $50 respectfully. The service of the pool is only $20? I am a member of this pool and have been a member of a popular NYC record pool, and this pool is far freater of a service than the popular NYC pool. I even recall having to going down the block and purchasing 7 of the top 10 hits...after paying $85 per month.

In all, I've noticed that you and the others are very interested in the pool-your constant communicating with the Coordinator. I would suggest to you and everyone else who has a problem with any record pools, to move on and locate one that better meets your needs. My opinion, Franchise Record Pool is the premeire Record Pool out there. The name of the pool alone will yeild great product form these labels. I will continue to pay my little-ole $20 and continue to break records in my market...again, for $20.
Dj Mike Bumps 8:10 AM - 26 May, 2010
I just signed up for this record pool and Im not that impressed. I mean yeah you can find things you wouldnt on limewire but for 20 bucks a month ehhh I will tell you in a month. Navigation does suck and u can preview a song just by clicking it. However you can only download 3 songs at a time so yeah. Umm I dont like music now day Im an oldschool guy hip hop r&b reggae even freestyle music. If anyone has a pool for pre 200 music please gimme a link. I was looking at djcity and directmusic service but they really expensive liek 60 dollars a month is nuts. You can server on franchise but not much by genre yeah u have latin room hip hop room and reggae room but other than that year ect you dont.

Dj Mike Bumps
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 8:14 PM - 26 May, 2010
I still can't understand how I used to buy vinyl @ $7-12 EACH but people seem to think $30-50 per month for s pool is a lot.

Ok I guess limewire was free...
RogerRabbit 8:37 PM - 26 May, 2010
I usually download like 12 songs at a time and they are downloaded pretty quickly... It's is more time consuming to download music than when I had 8wonder though...
DJ CISC0 9:06 PM - 26 May, 2010
Quote:
I usually download like 12 songs at a time and they are downloaded pretty quickly... It's is more time consuming to download music than when I had 8wonder though...
Really? I think 8th wonder is much slower than Franchise. And that's with that wack app they got that's suppose to make things run better.
Logisticalstyles 9:11 PM - 26 May, 2010
Quote:
I still can't understand how I used to buy vinyl @ $7-12 EACH but people seem to think $30-50 per month for s pool is a lot.

Tell me about it.
Arky 5:32 AM - 11 July, 2010
Does anyone know the bitrate they use for Franchise Record Pool? Is it 320 kbps. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
nik39 1:22 PM - 11 July, 2010
It depends.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:45 PM - 11 July, 2010
Quote:

Preach.
RogerRabbit 4:58 PM - 11 July, 2010
Quote:
Does anyone know the bitrate they use for Franchise Record Pool? Is it 320 kbps. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Just checked my 2010 hip hop, R&b and mainstream folders, the bitrates were - 128,160,192,256,320 kbits
D Noe 7:59 AM - 4 May, 2011
I signed up with Franchise on March 17, 2011 by April 3, they stopped my service claiming my card information was declined. So, I immediately re-join because, I liked the music selection and service. Now this month, my service was stopped on or around May 1st, again claiming the same thing. It seems, my subscription month is getting shorter and shorter. Is anyone else having trouble. I am very curious to see if this is a ploy from Franchise to hustle new subscriptions. If they think they need to charge more they should just set a price and stick to it. Instead of this crap, I use to buy vinyl and paid dues for a record pool membership of $60, so I thought $20 was decent.
nik39 12:15 PM - 4 May, 2011
No issues. How about you call them or write an email to customer support?
Steve E Wunda 1:16 PM - 4 May, 2011
Write them an email they are very good about getting back to you about any problems or concerns you may have.
DJ GaFFle 1:17 PM - 4 May, 2011
Quote:
Write them an email they are very good about getting back to you about any problems or concerns you may have.

+1
DJ Eighty 8 8:15 PM - 4 May, 2011
Had a few issues with them once upon a time, called them, had a 1 hour conversation about the music game in general, got the hook-up and their EASY to work with. Trust us, they want/need our business and very quick to keep it that way.
fcprod1 10:54 PM - 4 May, 2011
I wanted to rejoin but i heard that they will charge you from the time that you were not a mamber. Is that true? Any way of getting around that?
DJ Eighty 8 11:50 PM - 4 May, 2011
No just 60 days worth, call them and they'll take care of you. Hadn't been with them for almost 2 years, they worked with me and was glad to have me back. I f**ks with Franchise Record Pool!
KarbonSOUNDZ 3:42 PM - 24 February, 2012
New to the game. Is this a good pool to get music and videos for dj ing? Any detailed help would be greatly appreciated
Dj Mike Bumps 7:17 PM - 1 March, 2012
It's ok after awhile tho maybe a few months you'll move on.. For a beginner it's great
RogerRabbit 1:28 AM - 18 March, 2012
Is it me or is the new policy to rate every single track REALLY annoying..
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:47 PM - 18 March, 2012
Quote:
Is it me or is the new policy to rate every single track REALLY annoying..

Ha, they're finally making us do what we're SUPPOSED to do...lmao.
RogerRabbit 4:38 PM - 18 March, 2012
No dude.. Do you know how much music is being released monthly -if you don't download daily with this new process you will be really backed up.. It now take 3 clicks to download a song -annoying..

I am all about automation - I used to be able download in bulk - now I can't.

Plus the rating system is a waste of time because I (and others I am sure) am not listening to every track before I download - so the track is getting a false rating anyways..
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:59 PM - 18 March, 2012
Dude, I'm PART of Franchise, so I already know 1st hand...

I always used to wonder how they could get away with giving away GIGS of free music and no feedback, so now the labels have caught up to them...

Technically, you're supposed to rate the music ONE WAY OR ANOTHER, and technically you're supposed to rate it BEFORE you download it...

Even when cats had the opportunity to rate AFTER downloading it, they didn't.

This was expected.
DJ GaFFle 6:59 PM - 18 March, 2012
Quote:
No dude.. Do you know how much music is being released monthly -if you don't download daily with this new process you will be really backed up.. It now take 3 clicks to download a song -annoying..

Plus the rating system is a waste of time because I (and others I am sure) am not listening to every track before I download - so the track is getting a false rating anyways..

Naw... it's a DJ record pool and it's the least you can do. We used to have to mail / fax back forms in the past and take phone calls to give feedback along with tons of UPS mailers from vinyl... this is nothing. Franchise actually made it easier by merging rating specifics into a simple (high/medium/low) rating category.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:00 PM - 18 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Naw... it's a DJ record pool and it's the least you can do. We used to have to mail / fax back forms in the past and take phone calls to give feedback along with tons of UPS mailers from vinyl... this is nothing. Franchise actually made it easier by merging rating specifics into a simple (high/medium/low) rating category.

Exactly.
DJ Eighty 8 9:51 AM - 19 March, 2012
Yep, I always wondered when they were gonna get "busted"......
nik39 11:09 AM - 19 March, 2012
They already had a rating system previously. It was just not for every track.
nik39 11:09 AM - 19 March, 2012
(same as in the vinyl pool.. you didn't have to rate every vinyl)
DeezNotes 5:55 PM - 19 March, 2012
I exchanged email with the pool director regarding this. I was a member of a vinyl pool before, so I'm familiar with how it's "supposed" to work.

I'm not a fan of the way the rating system has been implemented. First of all, like others mentioned, you typically don't need to rate all songs. For the amount of music they are releasing on a weekly basis, I'm having a hard time believing all these labels want feedback from every single track posted up.

Like others mentioned, before you could download in bulk and then review whatever songs you previously downloaded afterwards. This method worked the best for me, because I review all music offline most of the time while travelling. Now, it's impossible to do that. If this was a vinyl pool, we would spend hours giving feedback before we could leave with music.

The rating system sucks IMO. I gave the director an example of how Promo Only does it. They have a 1-4 rating and that's it. True, it doesn't have all the additional info in it like should it get airplay, a video, pushed more, etc... but why give all this extra info when it really just boils down to if we think it sucks or not. Why use the same feedback form from 20 years ago when we only really need a "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" YouTube-type rating. Let those schmucks at the label decide whether they need to make a video or not.

With all the crap music that's been released, I seriously doubt any form of feedback will do much in the world of record pools. If anything, it gets the music to the right people.

I really like this pool. I haven't done much research on other pools, but most of the "good" ones everyone talks about are based around the west coast and lack GOOD underground hip hop. This was a good east-coast-based pool and I understand they had to make changes, but the current system is totally unusable for me.

And Johnny, they didn't give us the music for free... unless your pool dues are a lot less than mine?

If anyone knows of a good audio pool that services good hip hop similar to Franchise, please let me know. I can't stay a member for long with the way things work now.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:59 PM - 19 March, 2012
Quote:
And Johnny, they didn't give us the music for free... unless your pool dues are a lot less than mine?

You know what? I forgot that I pay a few buck a month for Franchise. I'm also part of Digiwaxx and that's FREE, but you DO have to rate for that "service".

Hell, like I said, I only download when I ABSOLUTELY NEED today's Hawt Gawbage.

I'm spending more time burning MY vinyl collection now, so MOBMUSIC may be coming your way soon....

j/k
djvtyme85 10:31 PM - 19 March, 2012
I agree but its tedious but I never d/l more than a few tunes at a times. Like Johnny said how much of this garbage do you really need?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:44 PM - 19 March, 2012
Quote:
I agree but its tedious but I never d/l more than a few tunes at a times. Like Johnny said how much of this garbage do you really need?

I understand cats who have residences that STAY listening to that stuff, but my spot is a little bit more "Grown", but they still like to "Get their Eagle On", every blue moon or so.
Dj Mike P. 1:40 AM - 20 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

But back in the days when we had to write reviews and rate records wasn't so bad cause we were getting advance access to quality music. These days most music sucks and not even worth storing. If i have to rate a new Lil Wayne track i think i'd just pass on it.
DeezNotes 1:41 AM - 20 March, 2012
Quote:

I don't add all songs into my crates or anything. It's actually a small amount when you compare it to the total amount of music they provide.

My real issue is that I can't listen to the music offline and rate it later.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:26 AM - 20 March, 2012
Quote:

But WHO really does that?

That model would work for music from Yesteryear (or decade), where the music had some staying power....

Now? How long does an "Average" song stay in rotation?

A MONTH? Man if they let you download with the option to rate "later", the song will already be off the charts.

This is smart of them, but sucks for us.
RogerRabbit 5:13 AM - 20 March, 2012
Quote:
They already had a rating system previously. It was just not for every track.

Yeah and it wasn't on every log in either..

Quote:
I can't stay a member for long with the way things work now.

+1.

Quote:
Hell, like I said, I only download when I ABSOLUTELY NEED today's Hawt Gawbage.

That's why it's not a big deal for you.

I got accustomed getting a yard, now they giving me just an inch..

Quote:
Quote:

That model would work for music from Yesteryear (or decade), where the music had some staying power....

Now? How long does an "Average" song stay in rotation?

A MONTH? Man if they let you download with the option to rate "later", the song will already be off the charts.

This is smart of them, but sucks for us.

Not really, the rate later deal is a good idea - theoretically..

1.Make it mandatory to for customers to upload their history file from their dvs (I think most dvs's have this option). Even further they can work with dvs's to make a standardize binary file that cannot be edited via text editor to preserve data integrity

2.Select a time period for the history file to be uploaded . example - once a month, once a week, etc..

3.If history file is not uploaded block further downloaded until file is uploaded. Verify contents of file.

4.From history file upload parse data, determine the frequency of a track played per time period, time period(minutes) track was played, determine tracks that were NEVER played by any DJ's etc..

5. IF tracks were never played/ have low count - then..

^^ But all of this is a long shot which will be probably never get implemented.
DeezNotes 11:06 AM - 20 March, 2012
1. I don't want to upload my history to anyone for any reason.

Quote:
Quote:

I'm not sure what you don't get. The majority of the time I'm adding music to my crates, I'm on a train, at the airport or in a hotel room or I could possible be somewhere on my laptop with no internet access. Therefore, I download all the music from the pool and listen at my liesure. I pick and choose what I want to put in my crates and the rest I archive at home.

I can not download all of it and listen later where I do not have internet access. Now, I have to stay on their webpage and listen to what I want to keep.

Maybe what you're trying to get at is that you may go to Franchise for a specific song. There were many times I added songs that were not in rotation or not popular, because I thought it was hot. The only way I would have found it was by listening to everything - something I can't do now.

If that IS what you're getting at, then it's bad for the record companies, because people like me who would normally listen to everything won't listen to anything. I would have to switch my model to yours which is picking specific tracks that we already know are in rotation. How much help is that for a record pool? Not much.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:51 PM - 20 March, 2012
Quote:

I'm not sure what you don't get.

Who said I "Didn't get" (it)?

You said "My real issue is ..blah blah blah"...and "rate it later".

I said "WHO" really does that?

In other words, WHO is REALLY going to (unless they're somehow forced to), listen to music LATER, and actually provide FEEDBACK LATER...when they've already got the song, unless they devise a way to stop you from downloading additional music until you rate the last batch?

Who's to say that you won't go on a big last effort download binge and expect not to use their service again?

This is the age of INSTANT GRATIFICATION, and MOST DJ's in this internet age are just concerned with getting the music, not rating the quality of it...why?

Because there IS NO Quality....

Hell, even with Digiwaxx, I damn near rate ALL of them jawns as garbage, but I need to chase a check...
nik39 2:27 PM - 20 March, 2012
Deez, totally agree.

It's so uncomfortable not being able to listen and filter out the tracks offline. :( I really prefer batch downloading everything (not having to rely on your Internet speed) and filtering out. Offline. I am so much faster filtering locally than clicking on fifteen buttons to get tot the next track online.
DeezNotes 7:10 PM - 21 March, 2012
Quote:

Me, foo!
CMOS 8:10 PM - 21 March, 2012
Doesnt that IDJ pool let you download a zip file of all the weeks tracks?

Im still on DJcity and its about to run out so ive been watching the pool threads like crazy. I think might try them out next month.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:47 PM - 21 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Me, foo!

Man, don't nobody RATE anything unless they are FORCED....
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 10:10 PM - 21 March, 2012
Quote:
Doesnt that IDJ pool let you download a zip file of all the weeks tracks

That one is FTP and browser based. www.idjpool.com gives U the FTP app with membership, log in and just drag and drop the new shit just like the Finder. Almost the same as a zip but U don't have to un-zip and you can skip the Squeaky Clean versions that U never play?
matt212 5:05 PM - 1 April, 2012
Ok, I normally use downthemall for Franchise but now it seems to not be recognizing the link for the tracks now. Anybody have any clues? I would hate to have to use their zipped folder option...
RogerRabbit 5:16 PM - 1 April, 2012
:) You have to rate all the tracks now - so you can't use downthemall anymore. They zipped folder option is useless too because even if you select that option - you STILL have to go through and rate all the tracks you selected for download.
matt212 7:56 PM - 1 April, 2012
WHAT??!! All the tracks?? Oh well...time to cancel.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:13 PM - 1 April, 2012
Quote:

****smh****
DJ DisGrace 8:34 PM - 1 April, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

****smh****

+1
back in the day I had to review every remix of every record by hand, on paper! All 20 cuts on the same damn riddim even!
no reviews = no records
matt212 8:54 PM - 1 April, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

****smh****

What? What I say? lol...

All I am saying is that I might as well go with Digiwaxx for free if I have to rate every track. The bright side now is that at least I'll only download what sounds good instead of batch downloading everything and clogging up my hard drive.
matt212 8:57 PM - 1 April, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

****smh****

+1
back in the day I had to review every remix of every record by hand, on paper! All 20 cuts on the same damn riddim even!
no reviews = no records

Back in the day gas was .99 a gallon so what's your point?
DJ DisGrace 9:14 PM - 1 April, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

****smh****

+1
no reviews = no records

Back in the day gas was .99 a gallon so what's your point?

my point is ur spoiled and ur sense of entitlement bothers some of us
matt212 10:30 PM - 1 April, 2012
Well my point is you don't know me or what I'm implying so your assumptions can be kept to yourself homie. Like you was the last nigga that was in a record pool homie...GTFOH.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:54 PM - 1 April, 2012
lol, chill....
matt212 11:24 PM - 1 April, 2012
Naw Johnny...he up here talking like I'm some spoiled little bitch that just got in the game. I just don't like when people change up shit that your are paying for and expect you to just take it...look at how Netflix did.

Sense of entitlements....GTFOH....entitle deez muthafucka...
DJ DisGrace 11:34 PM - 1 April, 2012
Quote:

Quote:
lol, chill....

community.us.playstation.com
matt212 12:09 AM - 2 April, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
lol, chill....

Lol...that's the same thing I told ya mom last night homie. Haha
DJ DisGrace 12:42 AM - 2 April, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
lol, chill....

Lol...that's the same thing I told ya mom last night homie. Haha

4.bp.blogspot.com
matt212 1:18 AM - 2 April, 2012
Why do you keep posting the words I be telling to your mom's son?? God knows she's got a bad ass...haha. I'm done playing with you kid...
RogerRabbit 1:53 AM - 2 April, 2012
Quote:
I just don't like when people change up shit that your are paying for and expect you to just take it...look at how Netflix did.

+1.
Maskrider 2:10 AM - 2 April, 2012
We need some Chill pill up in here
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:11 AM - 2 April, 2012
Hold up fam...lol. let me explain WHY I said "***smh***", (cuz I feel like that may have been taken the wrong way).

That "smh" was actually directed at DEEZ, to show that the AVERAGE DJ, in these days and times, is not really trying to RATE these songs unless they're forced or have no other option.

You saying you'd cancel because now you have to rate EACH song proves my point.

Now, don't get it twisted, I'm a Downthemall user myself, and Deez actually put me on it from the door. And just like the rest of you, I'm using these record pools until the wheels fall off...especially the "free" ones...

I also downloaded their back catelog of old skool jams which allows me to burn vinyl at a more controlled pace now. The franchise records are an interim solution, because most of those joints are 192 Bitrate, and I CAN'T STAND that sound....

But we all have to realize, and understand that MOST of what we get and how we use it isn't REALLY gonna stand up in a court of law if pressed....just sayin...
RogerRabbit 3:14 AM - 2 April, 2012
Quote:
But we all have to realize, and understand that MOST of what we get and how we use it isn't REALLY gonna stand up in a court of law if pressed....just sayin...

It doesn't have to stand in the court of law - It just needs enough users to complain or cancel the service for things to go back the way it was. But from the last email they sent out saying they had alot of positive feedback about the user liking the rating system - so nothing is gonna change anytime soon.

I can see I am amount the minority as far not liking the changes.
matt212 3:51 AM - 2 April, 2012
Quote:
Hold up fam...lol. let me explain WHY I said "***smh***", (cuz I feel like that may have been taken the wrong way).

That "smh" was actually directed at DEEZ, to show that the AVERAGE DJ, in these days and times, is not really trying to RATE these songs unless they're forced or have no other option.

You saying you'd cancel because now you have to rate EACH song proves my point.

Now, don't get it twisted, I'm a Downthemall user myself, and Deez actually put me on it from the door. And just like the rest of you, I'm using these record pools until the wheels fall off...especially the "free" ones...

I also downloaded their back catelog of old skool jams which allows me to burn vinyl at a more controlled pace now. The franchise records are an interim solution, because most of those joints are 192 Bitrate, and I CAN'T STAND that sound....

Yeah Johnny...I know why you said it. I just don't know why bozo put his two cents into it trying to speak about some entitlement shit and how he had to write feedback down like he was the only one in a record pool on some "I remember before Serato" bullshit. Been a member of this forum and franchise since 2005 and you got some cornball taking a stance on something that wasn't even the issue that was being spoken about.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:08 AM - 2 April, 2012
Ok, I smell u.

**let me get out of grown peoples' convo...**
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 5:27 AM - 2 April, 2012
Lol - y'all be tripping - good Sunday nite entertainment !

Thanks !
djvtyme85 6:07 AM - 2 April, 2012
Where is the Eddie Griffin popcorn link lol but I feel his point. I haven't been getting my money's worth since they switched over bc I simply don't have time for the whole process. But before a gig I'll grab up must haves, actually thinking of going ahead & switching to promo only as a alternative.
nik39 8:34 AM - 2 April, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
I just don't like when people change up shit that your are paying for and expect you to just take it...look at how Netflix did.

+1.

+1
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:00 PM - 2 April, 2012
Quote:
Where is the Eddie Griffin popcorn link

www.djjohnnym.com
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:07 PM - 2 April, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

+1.

+1

????
But technically, YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO RATE EACH NEW SONG AS IT COMES OUT.....

Using Downthemall was a way to get around the system, along with them previously NOT forcing you to do EACH song....

Just because the technolgy has advanced, (vinyl to digital), doesn't mean that the initial requirements for access to these songs hadn't changed....

They just never enforced it from the door....
matt212 1:29 PM - 2 April, 2012
Yeah, but the number of tracks has greatly increased since going digital. With vinyl, record companies were picky about what they press up so you would have less to rate. Now that everything is digital, it doesn't cost them a fraction of what it would have cost to press the vinyl for the song and ship them out across the country. Digital record pools are a dumping field of bullshit ass songs hoping something sticks.

As for Franchise, I wouldn't be saying anything if this was their policy from the start. You don't change the rules of the game in the 7th inning, and it's been 6 years+ now they changing?? I only kept Franchise because of the Reggae and old school section, and just downloaded everything else because it was there. I think that most of us migrated from Digiwaxx to Franchise because of less hassle getting tracks and paid the price of doing so. Now that it's pretty much the same process...why pay $20 for the same thing when you can get it free? That's my argument...
DJ GaFFle 1:52 PM - 2 April, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

****smh****

+1
no reviews = no records

I don't find the individual ratings inconvenient. I don't download a ton of crap anyway and I'm selective at what I grab. They've conveniently group the ratings into high/medium/low basic categories which makes it even easier.

In my opinion, some of ya'll are being a little lazy / spoiled about this rating thing. I think they should offer a NO-rating service at $50 a month for the ones who don't want to take the time to do what's necessary.

Quote:
The franchise records are an interim solution, because most of those joints are 192 Bitrate, and I CAN'T STAND that sound....

That's strange... I'd say at least 80+% of their music is 320k.

The only thing that erks me about Franchise's pool is the quick web inactivity timeout and that small media player on the side. The fast-forward slider is hard to navigate and doesn't work at times.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:31 PM - 2 April, 2012
Quote:
Yeah, but the number of tracks has greatly increased since going digital. With vinyl, record companies were picky about what they press up so you would have less to rate. Now that everything is digital, it doesn't cost them a fraction of what it would have cost to press the vinyl for the song and ship them out across the country. Digital record pools are a dumping field of bullshit ass songs hoping something sticks.

As for Franchise, I wouldn't be saying anything if this was their policy from the start. You don't change the rules of the game in the 7th inning, and it's been 6 years+ now they changing?? I only kept Franchise because of the Reggae and old school section, and just downloaded everything else because it was there. I think that most of us migrated from Digiwaxx to Franchise because of less hassle getting tracks and paid the price of doing so. Now that it's pretty much the same process...why pay $20 for the same thing when you can get it free? That's my argument...

I feel you on that, but that also works 2 ways. Yep, there's more bullshit, and since you HAVE to rate it, you'll be less likely to download it, and thus the song won't be out there because cats don't have time to deal with rating BS that they'll never play.

If you used Downthemall, you'd download a boatload of stuff, and only really use 25% of it, and give NO ratings. So, at THAT point, you're (not you personally) not giving back anything that the record companies need.

The deal is this. and someone said it before, a REAL Record Pool would be dealing with the labels directly, and using High Quality Files, period.

You're not supposed to be offered a "Back Catalog" of any sort. (And YES, I'm VERY familiar with their Old School download section :-X), and how some download apps maded it EXTREMELY easy to "catch up"...but that's NOT the way it's supposed to be.

Ahd their files are mostly 192, so if you add it up, you see what it is.

A pool is supposed to be for new stuff for promotioal purposes....anything else is, just...something else.

Just because you're PAYING, may cover you if someone wants to grind your gears, but I'm sure that if it became an issue, the supplier would be the target, and not necessarily the end user.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:32 PM - 2 April, 2012
Quote:

That's not my experience at all, maybe 256k at times, but I hardly get 320k jawns unless it's been upped again a few times.
DJ GaFFle 6:36 PM - 2 April, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

That's not my experience at all, maybe 256k at times, but I hardly get 320k jawns unless it's been upped again a few times.

As an example, I just downloaded 13 random songs from the 'Digging in the Crates' section. 13 out of 13 were 320k bitrate. I chose from DITC's #49, #48, #47 and #46.
DeezNotes 7:42 PM - 2 April, 2012
@ Johnny: There were a few songs you (specifically YOU) heard me play and asked what it was or where I got it from. The answer was Franchise. How? I would download everything on a weekly basis, listen to all of it and add those select tracks to my crates. There's no way I can do this now. Additionally, I used to keep a month or two worth of songs organized in folders (not in my crates), so if there was something new that somebody asked for at a gig that I didn't add to my crates, I could search my entire computer and it would most likely be there. This has happened many times and Franchise was great for this... before. If I wasn't at a gig (at home), I could search my network for a song that would most likely be in a Franchise archive folder. Not anymore.

Bottom line is, I wish it was the way it was before. I'm going to download pretty much nothing from them and I'm not going to really care much about the ratings because it's stupid. Not all those questions apply to all songs and/or labels. You can pick apart my opinion or my logic if you want... this is how I used the service before and I would just prefer it if I can get it back the way it was.

Having to rate songs labels actually WANT rated would be a better option for me. With all the crap music out there, I doubt anyone really cares what we think at times. Plus, Franchise thinks their rating system is "better" because it has more information than a 1-5 rating. I think that's complete shit. Thumbs up or thumbs down. 3 options at the most. Anything more is useless.
nik39 8:38 PM - 2 April, 2012
Agreed. Something like whitelabel. Net is good. Good tracks will wgt played. Anything else is kind of irrelevant. Equivalent to thumbs up or down.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:41 PM - 2 April, 2012
Quote:
@ Johnny: There were a few songs you (specifically YOU) heard me play and asked what it was or where I got it from. The answer was Franchise.

I'm sure they were old school jawns...

Regardless, I'm just pointing out that the design of how a pool is supposed to work is that they get feedback about new stuff you download.

Downloading in batches and awaiting the DJ to actually log back in and rate it will never happen. Now if they came up with a "Time Release" or "So many plays" option built into the song which would force you to send feedback, then batch downloading would be feasible.

Also, since MOST songs are BS anyway, TIME is of the essence. If you don't rate it right when you want it, the feedback is late and useless.

This is the start of what I mean when I say, they can "Throw the switch" at any time.

Music sharing will become a thing of the past once they ramp this up.

All music (Nowadayz) comes from a Digital source, and do you know how easy it is to "Watermark" an mp3?

If they wanted, they can have what source it came from, who shared it, and all types of mess if they (or music companies) wanted to go that route.

Oh, there is a copy of "Birthday Cake Remix" out there? Download the file, read the watermark, and it will still be there unless the END USER is savvy enough to erase it before sharing it, see where it came from, and who put it out there.

Disable accounts, bring charges, raid the crib, lock down servers, all of that is posssible when they get ready.

Y'all stay tuned.
DeezNotes 10:16 AM - 3 April, 2012
For the record, the ones I remember were new house songs.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:42 PM - 3 April, 2012
Quote:

Since when do you know new house? lol.

It HAD to be old school, a break, soul, or neosoul.

I don't think I've seen you play House...

The only people that I would inquire about "House" from would be Dazz and BPM....no offense. :-).
Dj Ready Red 1:48 PM - 3 April, 2012
Been a member for a about 6 years and I like them and 20 bucks a month is a bargain
PorkyG 3:19 PM - 3 April, 2012
Wow... Is it really that much of a hassle to rate something that you're basically getting for dirt cheap? I won't say free because obviously you're paying for a record pool but damn talk about lazy. If 10 seconds to hit a button is too much how the hell did you DJ before Serato and Traktor?
matt212 5:49 PM - 3 April, 2012
Quote:
Wow... Is it really that much of a hassle to rate something that you're basically getting for dirt cheap? I won't say free because obviously you're paying for a record pool but damn talk about lazy. If 10 seconds to hit a button is too much how the hell did you DJ before Serato and Traktor?

With vinyl and CD's. I've never gotten 500 records from any record pool in one shipment. Log into franchise I got 10 pages full off shit with 100 tracks a page and you want me to rate every one of them?? GTFOH...

I'm with Deeznotes on this. I used to just download everything and have it there if needed and filter out the bullshit when I have time. If Franchise wants specific feedback for certain tracks, they need to keep doing what they have been doing...put a couple of tracks at the beginning when you log in, rate it and be done with it. If the labels want feedback like that, Frachise need to charge those labels a little more to have their shit posted and rated by DJ's. Franchise ain't worried about feedback from DJ's...they worried about the cost of bandwidth, and this shit right here is going to cut back on bandwidth because ain't nobody going to sit there and download everything like we used to because of this rating thing. The business side of this to them is that they are banking on people like you that are not going to say anything and keep giving them your money regardless of what they do. It's a win-win for them...I don't expect for most of you to understand what is going on behind the scenes and I don't blame you for taking it for face value...

Bottom line is that nobody is bitching about price...nobody is bitching about giving feeback...the ones that are speaking are voicing that we are paying for a service and they made changes we don't like.

Digiwaxx = same tracks + feedback + free
Franchise = same tracks + feedback + $20

It doesn't even matter, because they are going to lose money and going to make changes real quick...
PorkyG 5:59 PM - 3 April, 2012
Simple fix for that... don't pay, don't whine about it just don't pay for it.
matt212 6:01 PM - 3 April, 2012
Exactly...
DJ GaFFle 7:04 PM - 3 April, 2012
Quote:

It doesn't even matter, because they are going to lose money and going to make changes real quick...

Digiwack is bunk!

You listen to a track, take the time to fill out that very tedious rating questionnaire and make one simple mistake or miss an entry field and it erases your ENTIRE response and you have to start all over again... They've got more junk than a little bit. I'll stick to Franchise. I right off its $240 membership per year on my taxes anyway.
DJ GaFFle 7:04 PM - 3 April, 2012
right = write
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:11 PM - 3 April, 2012
Quote:
Simple fix for that... don't pay, don't whine about it just don't pay for it.

WRONG, you need to CANCEL, or else they will come sue your estate...
matt212 7:30 PM - 3 April, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Digiwack is bunk!

You listen to a track, take the time to fill out that very tedious rating questionnaire and make one simple mistake or miss an entry field and it erases your ENTIRE response and you have to start all over again... They've got more junk than a little bit. I'll stick to Franchise. I right off its $240 membership per year on my taxes anyway.

Lol!!

That's my point..there is no difference between the two now in my eyes except the easier rating. You might as well stick them in the group with Digiwaxx and 8th Wonder now, that's why I'm not paying them anymore. I'll stick with my other sources and save $240...that's like a tank a gas or some shit. haha
DJ GaFFle 11:40 PM - 3 April, 2012
DigiWack offers no dedicated House, Latin, Mainstream, Reggae/Dancehall, remixes (snip'edits, Intro/Outro version, etc.) like Franchise and most importantly, they have no 'Digging in the Crates' section with 320k oldschool classics (most of their songs in general are 320k). I haven't really used Digi in a year or so but at least back then, they offered no dedicated sections for the above. Only sprinkles of those genres and specialties.

Even if Digi does offer them now, it takes a good ((( 30 ))) solid seconds to fill out that stupid song detail for just 1 track... that's 9 damn fields and a required Comment for JUST ONE TRACK... Don't make a mistake and forget to fill out a field, you'll lose all your comments.

Franchise requires 1 click per track, then you've done your job as a DJ and member of a RECORD POOL. I've never looked at real record pools as a free for all. I've always had the mindset that they require feedback.

As long as you're getting high-quality tracks w/o DJ drops and Youtube rips, more power to you on the bulk download sites. I'm just saying that Franchise doesn't seem that inconvenient to me.
matt212 12:24 AM - 4 April, 2012
I agree with you Gaffle...it's not an inconvience if you have the time to sit there and rate every single track then download one by one. I didn't have the time before this and now since they change the ways of doing things, it definitely doesn't fit into my schedule. I think some of you are misconstruding lazy with time managment...that's all I'm saying.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:59 AM - 4 April, 2012
Quote:
I agree with you Gaffle...it's not an inconvience if you have the time to sit there and rate every single track then download one by one. I didn't have the time before this and now since they change the ways of doing things, it definitely doesn't fit into my schedule. I think some of you are misconstruding lazy with time managment...that's all I'm saying.

But the POINT is that TECHNICALLY, you're supposed to rate EACH track. It so happened to be that there was a work around up until now.

Like I said, MOST DJ's would NOT take the time to rate EACH song, unless somehow forced.

You're paying for the convenience of getting relatively first crack at a song, a single point of contact, and relatively consistant bitrates.

All they want you to do is tell them how you feel about the song SINCE YOU'RE DOWNLOADING IT...

Like some of you said, now it forces you to stop downloading BS, which you'd just delete anyway, but that's what the record companies want to know...JUST the fact that you deleted it, or think you'd play it.

A lot of you don't realize how easy you have it.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:04 AM - 4 April, 2012
You guys should actually look at this as a tool to better the DJ environment, because it does more good than harm. Soon, YOUTUBE won't be able to host music like that, or other bulk download sites...And your Average Joe Plumber DJ won't be able to just load up and "take your gig" without investing either TIME or MONEY to really get at it.

The record companies WILL eventually get it to the point of you somehow paying for EACH new track, (i.e. itunes), or rating EACH song (Franchise), what would you rather do?
DeezNotes 12:22 PM - 4 April, 2012
@Johnny: Stop being silly. Don't debate me on what you have or haven't heard me play. you're missing the point.

1. This rating system isn't about bandwidth. its about legalities and the possibility of some pools getting shut down by not adhering to the rules. the feds are watching.

2. I think they should drop all those BS categories for ratings. Even if they are useful to someone, I bet less than 1% of that info is actually used. Especially when its assigned to some predetermined value for ease of use. Its stupid.

3. Some of those areas shouldn't have feedback at all. Period.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:16 PM - 4 April, 2012
Quote:
@Johnny: Stop being silly. Don't debate me on what you have or haven't heard me play. you're missing the point.

You can't be serious. The reason I even addressed it is because you took time out of your day (that you could have spent rating songs), to make a baseless claim that if you were forced to take time to "Rate" songs, you may not have been able to have been playing one that I "asked" about. -
Quote:
@ Johnny: There were a few songs you (specifically YOU) heard me play and asked what it was or where I got it from. The answer was Franchise.

Quote:

I was merely saying that you are MISTAKEN, as you don't play the type of "House" music that I prefer, but moreso that it had to be a cut from a different genre.

Quote:
1. This rating system isn't about bandwidth. its about legalities and the possibility of some pools getting shut down by not adhering to the rules. the feds are watching.

Who said it was about bandwidth? It's about THE MAN watching, and making sure the pools do their due diligence. The PROBLEM is that y'all are complaing now that you're forced to do something that should have been the standard from the door.

Quote:
2. I think they should drop all those BS categories for ratings. Even if they are useful to someone, I bet less than 1% of that info is actually used. Especially when its assigned to some predetermined value for ease of use. Its stupid.

I DO agree with this ^^^ - A thumbs up or down would suffice.

Quote:
3. Some of those areas shouldn't have feedback at all. Period.

But that gets into what tracks are you talking about? Back catalogue ones that SHOULDN'T BE THERE IN THE 1st place?

Anything new, technically should be rated.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:16 PM - 4 April, 2012
Oh, and don't ever call me silly.
HYDRO MATIC 4:31 PM - 4 April, 2012
So it "SHOULD" be set up like the record pools used to be...

It should auto fill to an basket that has a total cart that will fill an Excel Spreadsheet...
you then check over the text for the tracks you want to download and download them all..
(seperate or zip file dosent matter just need that excel spreadsheet to generate)
Now you've got all your tracks downloaded and can listen sort and TEST each one at your leasiure...

Here comes the catch...when you log back in BEFORE being able to preview anything new your Excel spreadsheet would pop up with each track listed horizontally...
A list of options going horizontally...
Each option would be unlocked by the previous answer...

Example
first option [ DELETED O KEPT 0 ] if deleted itll give a drop down of three options
REASON [1 damaged file 2 CRAP 3 Other ] clicking damaged would re add it to your cart for download, CRAP or other would bring a new box... CRAP would be a option to add feedback Other would be right to feed back...

The actual order of the questions could be changed or rearraged, and a place for ratings as well...

I Think a box on the left for rate now should come up and you could select the tracks you wanted to rate immidieatley before going on others ( ie; the ones you felt strongly about or wanted to knock out first )

Add in a % system...pro users could bypass the rating page as long as they were above a certain level of RATING / BYPASS...add a time limit each track could be skipped (none for those high priority label tracks)...and with the excel background you could auto generate an email to be sent or the whole form offline...

Dosent seem that complex really?

Thoughts?
HYDRO MATIC 4:32 PM - 4 April, 2012
^^^^^ the first horizontally should read vertically
HYDRO MATIC 4:37 PM - 4 April, 2012
^^^ the idea would be the fewest clicks possible to rate the "throwaway tracks...not 9 per download...3 or less should get you past the crap...the most clicks should go to the best tracks...but being able to CHOOSE to go in and do a "rating" session...

My original record pool was this way...bring your feedback sheet and your were good...if not fill one out there or pay an extra $20 to skip ( like if you were in a hurry )

Not have it 3 times in a year and you had to reapply WITH the $100 registration fee Plus weekly dues!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:47 PM - 4 April, 2012
See? ^^

That's what I'm talking about.

Coming up with solutions to HELP get past this, give the pool what they need, so they can give you what YOU need. But some will say that I download 500 tracks, and won't have time to review all of them before the next batch.

The truth of the matter is that the POOL doesn't give a damn about the ratings, but the Record companies do....and they MAY start asking questons about the QUALITY of the ratings...

For example, in Digiwaxx, I just click whatever my mouse hovers over if I'm in a rush, and put straight "drsafdsa" in the comments area. Nobody has said anything.

The way Franchise has it now, they can CLAIM that they're kinda QA'ing the answers before it gets to the Record company, as they're already being watched.

I also agree with the "Skip the line" option, but that's not really legal if you think about it.
matt212 4:53 PM - 4 April, 2012
@ Johnny. Deez didn't say it was about bandwidth...I did. It was just a conspiracy theory I threw out there.

I think Hydro has the best idea as far as dealing with the online record pools. If they want us to act like real record pool...let us pick up our shit at one time and give the feedback they want later. They way they doing it now is like showing up to your record pool spot and before you leave with anything you have to rate it before you leave the spot. Give us the tracks, give us a deadline to give feedback and be done with it.
matt212 5:02 PM - 4 April, 2012
Quote:
Back catalogue ones that SHOULDN'T BE THERE IN THE 1st place?

Exactly!! A real record pool ain't giving you pressed vinyl of EPMD tracks in 2012...hence my reason they are bullshiting with this rating shit like a real record pool would do.
matt212 5:09 PM - 4 April, 2012
@ Hydro

Please send your idea over to Franchise to have them consider this process. I could get behind that format if we HAVE to give ratings now.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:12 PM - 4 April, 2012
Quote:
@ Johnny. Deez didn't say it was about bandwidth...I did. It was just a conspiracy theory I threw out there.

Lol, ok.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:16 PM - 4 April, 2012
Quote:
@ Hydro

Please send your idea over to Franchise to have them consider this process. I could get behind that format if we HAVE to give ratings now.

Again, I betchu that Franchise gives ZERO F*cks about the QA of the responses, except that they're probably going one step ahead and saying , "Yeah, we make sure the DJ fills out the ratings for each category...blah..blah..blah", when all the time, it's just presets, which we KNOW is not what the companies are looking for.

Truthfully, they PROBABLY want a 100 word essay on each song, but the reality is that it's not going to happen, and DJ's would just move on to a different pool.

I say, let Franchise keep it the way it is, one click is better than 6 or however many catgegories they've got....and keep this on the low. :-)
HYDRO MATIC 6:21 PM - 4 April, 2012
Quote:
@ Hydro

Soon as my lawyer gets me my copyright...lol JK

I ve been in these meeting where they want feedback or go over feedback...what the record pools ask for is usually WAY misguided...especially DIGWAX...never once heard a lable rep ask "How should we push this song? Visit the stations? Make a video?"
Silly really...

They want answers like...hows the crowd feedback when you played it? What energy did it give you? What target Demo you think will grab it first...yada...yada...

They could care less if i thought it was a 6,7 or 8

just weather or not Id get behind it and if i expected my crowd to follow...or what could they could do to get person X to push it...
DeezNotes 12:23 AM - 5 April, 2012
Quote:
I was merely saying that you are MISTAKEN, as you don't play the type of "House" music that I prefer, but moreso that it had to be a cut from a different genre.

The first track of this mix is one you asked about. www.deeznotes.com

What type of house do you think I play? Just one? lol

I think it may have been Dazz that asked "where did he get that from" for some other tracks and not you. Either way, if I didn't download all that music and thumb through it, I wouldn't have found those tracks. I remember they had a bootleg 2 minute copy of "Cream" by Frederico Franchi that I got REAL early and played it at a MSTRKRFT show. No one had heard it at that point. Again, it was because I went through ALL the music - without being connected to the internet. On the train, at the airport, in a hotel room, anywhere. And that's one of the things I can't do now. That's all I'm saying.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:46 AM - 5 April, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

The first track of this mix is one you asked about. www.deeznotes.com

What type of house do you think I play? Just one? lol

See, I know exactly what you're talking about, so let's be clear...

THAT IS NOT HOUSE...

That's DISCO, -- That is this song here - Cocomotion - Watchwww.youtube.com

And you may have downloaded that version from Franchise, and now I realize that the talking over it was in what you downloaded...Hell, I thought YOU mixed that in...lol.

lol @ that being house / End Tangent

Quote:
I didn't download all that music and thumb through it, I wouldn't have found those tracks.

But what I'm getting at is that Record companies don't care how much you listen to their stuff if you didn't give feedback for any of them, what good does that do them?

They're basically giving the *ish away for free.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:47 AM - 5 April, 2012
BTW, I played Cocomotion - (on vinyl) a few weeks ago on one of them Stickam shows...
RogerRabbit 4:44 AM - 5 April, 2012
So a company took advantage of its consumers trust and we have the consumers defending that company - saying we had it much harder back in the day & we understand why they are doing it - astounding.

Even worse - we only have 4 people post who disagreed with the company's action - astounding...
nik39 9:17 AM - 5 April, 2012
Weird indeed.

If franchise doesn't listen then the only way to make them listen is to speak money: cancel the membership.

With the anou t if tracks they put up into their pool I highly doubt that the labels will look at feedback for all of their tracks.

It's *not* as back in the days because with the physical media vinyl you automatically had a kind of entry barrier/filter: cost of pressing vinyl. That certainly kept the quality at a certain minimum level. Now that John Doe can produce a track in 5 minutes and distribute for almost no costs, that entry barrier is a lot lower than before.

Rate all of that crap? Uhm. No. Thanks.
DeezNotes 10:18 AM - 5 April, 2012
Is there any other pool that offers a similar type of hip hop selection? Other popular pools seem to have a more watered down selection of hip hop or they cater more to the fist pumping electro dj.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:38 AM - 5 April, 2012
Quote:

Rate all of that crap? Uhm. No. Thanks.

Then DON'T download it.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:47 AM - 5 April, 2012
Quote:
Is there any other pool that offers a similar type of hip hop selection?

Man, you said it yourself. Franchise has the BEST selection for the price. What's more, at least in my situation, is that I don't have to have the latest flaming gawbage until it's on the radio, and I suspect I have to do a party of that "caliber". That being said, what better place to get the music than from the radio DJ's pool who is most likely playing it?

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE free sh*t, as I consider the monthly charge a "convenience" fee, but let's keep it one hunnerd....

Franchise is the middle man we need - they put it in one spot - they CATEGORIZE it - they're linked with the #1 HipHop station IN THE WORLD - we've ALL downloaded their back category - they've got decent bit rates (I was mistaken before, saying they mostly had 192, that was actually DIGIWAXX that stays consistant with 192 >:-(<, and at least they tried to "assist" with the one click rate thing....

It's worth it, and I'm stingy like a mo.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:50 AM - 5 April, 2012
Quote:

With the anou t if tracks they put up into their pool I highly doubt that the labels will look at feedback for all of their tracks.

Why not? I"m sure the data is mined in such a way that it's eventually changed into graphs and numbers to show what's hot, and HOW MANY TIMES it was downloaded....

That's all they need.
PorkyG 1:03 PM - 5 April, 2012
I still don't get the big deal about rating it in one click, I try my hardest not to make assumptions but sometimes they just come out based on the experiences in my life. Remembering how things were done in the past compared to how they are now makes the work of clicking a button (OMG I have to click!!!) seem like absolutely no hassle or inconvenience to me & it honestly isn't.

I'll tell you what though, I still take the train ride to Manhattan and dig through the crates just to see if I can find a gem that I can't find or don't already have. One thing never changed, I dig through the crates just for fun because that fun & great feeling has never died.

I understand the principles of the matter that Matt is trying to get across, I honestly do. I understand that he feels that the service should remain the same way it was when he signed up since that may have been a factor in him signing up. On that same note, I also understand the business side of things & how the business world is ever evolving around new laws and standards that are changed on the whim & that the laws and standards force the hand of businesses to comply. I also understand that if they make a change I deem unfair to myself I have the option to no longer give that entity my money & future support. We have every right to voice our opinions but int he end it's just opinion.

Oh & DJJohnny, you had me going nuts searching through my Franchise files trying to find a bitrate less than 320. I haven't found one yet but I also got tired of searching somewhere between 60-80 files & decided if they are there I will eventually find one when I toss it in a set. lol
PorkyG 1:14 PM - 5 April, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Back catalogue ones that SHOULDN'T BE THERE IN THE 1st place?

Exactly!! A real record pool ain't giving you pressed vinyl of EPMD tracks in 2012...hence my reason they are bullshiting with this rating shit like a real record pool would do.

Sorry I have to disagree with you here. Times have changed, there is no black and white for what record pools do. As a matter of fact the businesses that last are the businesses that adapt, overcome, originate & the companies that really make it big are the companies that revolutionize. I'm not saying Franchise does that all but they definitely have some original ideas in certain aspects but I LOVE the fact that I can get an old school rap song (true school) in excellent bitrates without having to search high and low for it.

I may not use the old school for more than breaks & for my personal mixes but that doesn't mean I don't want it, I grew up listening to 98.7 kiss back int he day when chuck Chillout & DJ Red alert were doing the weekend shows. I have a deep love for those classic rap songs, I'm glad that I don't need to dig through my vinyl collection and personally encode the files.
Dj Ready Red 1:22 PM - 5 April, 2012
In the original days of record pools you had to rate the record to get more from the pool thats not to much to ask for service feedback is vital in the music game!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:26 PM - 5 April, 2012
Quote:

Oh & DJJohnny, you had me going nuts searching through my Franchise files trying to find a bitrate less than 320. I haven't found one yet but I also got tired of searching somewhere between 60-80 files & decided if they are there I will eventually find one when I toss it in a set. lol

Yeah, that was my bad, DIGIWAXX was the culprit.

And hell, they make you do MORE to get a lesser quality file..lol. but it IS totally "Free" at this point, so hey.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:28 PM - 5 April, 2012
Quote:
In the original days of record pools you had to rate the record to get more from the pool thats not to much to ask for service feedback is vital in the music game!

BOOM. I wouldn't say it's VITAL, because these songs don't last more than a month, but the intent is there.
PorkyG 1:28 PM - 5 April, 2012
Quote:

Oh yeah I know, I was born in the early 70's. I remember having to order everything and wait a week.
DeezNotes 1:59 PM - 5 April, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

BOOM. I wouldn't say it's VITAL, because these songs don't last more than a month, but the intent is there.

JM we're cool, but I hate replying to your posts. It always goes left.

With that being said, when I was in a record pool we couldn't just cherry pick the records we wanted and left the crap records we didn't want on the shelf. We had to take them ALL and rate them ALL.

Like some others said, there's no way we can rate the amount of music we get nowadays compared to the vinyl pool days. Just note this as an observation and not an opinionated point, since the latter causes to stir up more text than I care to read. It is yet another thing that has changed with the times. It's not unfair to ask for feedback, but there has to be some type of balance or compromise. I personally think the people who run the pool aren't against a fair compromise at all.
PorkyG 2:30 PM - 5 April, 2012
You know what I found takes longer than rating tracks?

Organizing the tracks into the folders I want them in. That's the one portion that makes me yawn. lol
nik39 2:51 PM - 5 April, 2012
Again... The problem is.. It's by far too time consuming to prelisten to all the tracks sitting in front of the computer online. Gimme all the tracks at once, I will download them all and decide on my local drive (I am much faster here) which ones to keep. I am happy to provide feedback for a certain amount or.... Just rate the good ones. The bad ones - I don't care about.

I don't care about how it used to be back in the days. This is one big business, everyone plays its role. It won't help the pools if they claim "but it used to be like that back in the days' while they lose their djs in the pool.
matt212 3:45 PM - 5 April, 2012
Here's the reply from cancellation. All I got from this was that the weed man is trying to sell roses now because they FED's are watching...

Your request for cancellation has been received and processed. We are sorry you feel this way and we do expect a select few members to feel this way. Its only obvious something of this nature is added for a very serious reason. The labels are demanding this and by all right. A record pool is suppose to provide feedback for the music they are given by the label and the artist. We are dealing in times of SOPA and PIPA and when this is pass all website deemed a file sharing or blog site will get shut down. If we do not comply with the rules of a record pool you will get shut down. Its that simple. We have given you guys a feedback free service for years and now that we are forced to do this some of you decide not to support. Keep in mind that providing feedback translates to more music from the label. We are about to release a major feature for the labels where Franchise DJs will be able to send alerts direct to the labels when they play their tracks using a software we are finishing up for release. This means more music for Franchise and recognition for the DJs by the artist and labels of who is actually playing their music. In any case we want you to know that we sincerely wish you all the best and you are welcome back anytime. However please keep in mind that if you decide to return you will be required to pay for any months missed as you do not lose any music uploaded as well as the labels demanding that the music is received prior to release to help in promotions. Thank you for choosing the Franchise Record Pool.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:00 PM - 5 April, 2012
Quote:
JM we're cool, but I hate replying to your posts. It always goes left.

With that being said, when I was in a record pool we couldn't just cherry pick the records we wanted and left the crap records we didn't want on the shelf. We had to take them ALL and rate them ALL.

Like some others said, there's no way we can rate the amount of music we get nowadays compared to the vinyl pool days. Just note this as an observation and not an opinionated point, since the latter causes to stir up more text than I care to read. It is yet another thing that has changed with the times. It's not unfair to ask for feedback, but there has to be some type of balance or compromise. I personally think the people who run the pool aren't against a fair compromise at all.

LOL @ not liking to reply to my posts...cuz you know I'm right.

Let me be clear.

DOWNTHEMALL is a WORKAROUND....feel me?

The pool was initially designed to be set where you click a song (AKA Cherry pick) and download. They also allowed you to download a humungous Zipfile vs. individual files.

Ok, think about this from an Internet Marketing perspective You know how some sponsors make money off of "clicks" and or/ having a viewer get exposed to certain ads?

Now, let's say they DO monitor bandwidth, but not for monetary purposes, but for traffic to site purposes.

Each time you "click" on a song, that could register with them that you downloaded it. Compare that click to if that same song was now RATED. Oh wait, there's no feedback....and that's just for one song....right?

Now introduce DOWNTHEMALL, which allowed you to COMPLETELY skip over the clicks, as it's going behind the scenes to download the songs unchecked.

You know how if a noob puts up a website with not enough security, but with downloadable material, and you go to the parent root, and can see ALL the files? And you download as you please? Kinda like that, and we've ALL (that's knowledgeable) have done it.

So now you have NO indication of what's been downloaded from Franchise, and NO Ratings, BUT a bandwidth meter that's increased exponentiallly.

C'mon son. we're talking about individual convenience here. You like to download in batches, ride the train, and can carve out that specific time frame to arrange your music.

Now you just have to rearrange how YOU acquire this music now. Maybe they can send you a DVD, right?

Regardless, an inconvenience to a few does not meet the needs of those who supply it, and to tell you the truth, the amount of music that they put out a month is NOT being played by DJ's within that month, so just be more selective with what you choose.

20 bucks for all that is a bargain regardless, and I HATE today's gawbage.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:02 PM - 5 April, 2012
Quote:

Dude, NOBODY is forcing you to download ALL 500 songs they put up.

Stop playin.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:04 PM - 5 April, 2012
Quote:
I personally think the people who run the pool aren't against a fair compromise at all.

But I think they have to strike a compromise between what the record companies are asking for - INDIVIDUAL rating for EACH category, and what you want to provide - No ratings at all.

They hit the middle of the road by making you do 1 click vs. 5 clicks PER song - AKA Digiwaxx.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:07 PM - 5 April, 2012
Quote:
Again... The problem is.. It's by far too time consuming to prelisten to all the tracks sitting in front of the computer online. Gimme all the tracks at once, I will download them all and decide on my local drive (I am much faster here) which ones to keep. I am happy to provide feedback for a certain amount or.... Just rate the good ones. The bad ones - I don't care about.

I don't care about how it used to be back in the days. This is one big business, everyone plays its role. It won't help the pools if they claim "but it used to be like that back in the days' while they lose their djs in the pool.

Y'all are full of *ish. Just like when certain people CLAIM to want to ditch Serato because they may introduce Auto-Mix/Sync or whatever.

You're NOT going to quit the pool, because it has more pluses than minuses, and they're only doing what the suppliers of the music are requesting.

Y'alls only beef is that the "Workaround" isn't working anymore. Man up.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:09 PM - 5 April, 2012
Quote:
I am happy to provide feedback for a certain amount or.... Just rate the good ones. The bad ones - I don't care about.

You know how stupid that sounds right? You want to rate the "GOOD" ones, with what? GOOD MARKS? And NOT rate the BAD ones, because what...they suck?

Duh, that's JUST the info that the record companies are seeking....

smh.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:12 PM - 5 April, 2012
Quote:
Here's the reply from cancellation. All I got from this was that the weed man is trying to sell roses now because they FED's are watching...

Your request for cancellation has been received and processed. We are sorry you feel this way and we do expect a select few members to feel this way. Its only obvious something of this nature is added for a very serious reason. The labels are demanding this and by all right. A record pool is suppose to provide feedback for the music they are given by the label and the artist. We are dealing in times of SOPA and PIPA and when this is pass all website deemed a file sharing or blog site will get shut down. If we do not comply with the rules of a record pool you will get shut down. Its that simple. We have given you guys a feedback free service for years and now that we are forced to do this some of you decide not to support. Keep in mind that providing feedback translates to more music from the label. We are about to release a major feature for the labels where Franchise DJs will be able to send alerts direct to the labels when they play their tracks using a software we are finishing up for release. This means more music for Franchise and recognition for the DJs by the artist and labels of who is actually playing their music. In any case we want you to know that we sincerely wish you all the best and you are welcome back anytime. However please keep in mind that if you decide to return you will be required to pay for any months missed as you do not lose any music uploaded as well as the labels demanding that the music is received prior to release to help in promotions. Thank you for choosing the Franchise Record Pool.

There it is. I can't be mad at them. They are at LEAST trying to stay under the radar. My respect has gone up for them.
nik39 5:16 PM - 5 April, 2012
I don't have a problem with rating - but make it less time consuming. I mean.. waiting after a click for finishing buffering the track, bla bla.

Much quicker locally.

And this goes actually into my direction I mentioned earlier:
Quote:
We are about to release a major feature for the labels where Franchise DJs will be able to send alerts direct to the labels when they play their tracks using a software we are finishing up for release.

Who gives a sh** whether you rate a track 5, 3, 1 whatever. Number of plays counts!

That's exactly what Whitelabel from Serato does. Combined with uploading playlists. This is sooo much more convenient. Win/win.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:47 PM - 5 April, 2012
Sheeet, so you're about to install an 'APP" on the SAME LAPTOP that you're running Serato on, so it can send updates via the INTERNET WHILE you're playing?

lol...And y'all complain about performance now....

smh.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:52 PM - 5 April, 2012
Futhermore, this is going down the road of what I was saying before about them "Being able to throw the switch" at any time.

Now, realtime updates of what you play?

Oh, and I don't do Whitelabel tracks (no offense Serato), but the music I have MUST be able to be played across different players.

For example, there's no option to listen (in a good bitrate) to those tracks on say a USB stick for an equipped radio while traveling.

And supposed Serato WANTS to flip that switch one day to something you don't like, so you **THINK** you're gonna go to another competitor, (AKA tracktor), I hope ALL of your files aren't Whitelabel...

Y'all gotta start thinking ahead.
DeezNotes 6:15 PM - 5 April, 2012
Quote:

It's not even about right or wrong. However, it is a lot easier to let you believe you're right - otherwise you just won't stop.
matt212 6:28 PM - 5 April, 2012
Lol
DJ DisGrace 6:33 PM - 5 April, 2012
Quote:
Sheeet, so you're about to install an 'APP" on the SAME LAPTOP that you're running Serato on, so it can send updates via the INTERNET WHILE you're playing?

smh.

he has a Mac, no problem at all :P
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:58 PM - 5 April, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

It's not even about right or wrong. However, it is a lot easier to let you believe you're right - otherwise you just won't stop.

Well at least you know...:-)
CMOS 6:58 PM - 5 April, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

We have a winner!!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:59 PM - 5 April, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

smh.

Oh werd?

serato.com
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:59 PM - 5 April, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

We have a winner!!

>:-(
DJ DisGrace 6:59 PM - 5 April, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

smh.

Oh werd?

serato.com

LOL and how many millions of PCs?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:00 PM - 5 April, 2012
At LEAST I know the difference between HOUSE music and DISCO.....shheessh...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:01 PM - 5 April, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

smh.

Oh werd?

serato.com

LOL and how many millions of PCs?

Hey, I'm just putting it out there....MACs are kewl.
DJ DisGrace 7:05 PM - 5 April, 2012
*runs and checks for malware on my Mac*
DeezNotes 8:19 PM - 5 April, 2012
Quote:

You just want another response from me that has nothing to do with this thread. You know damn well there are plenty of other DJs on here that need to be schooled. At least I'm aware that you never stop learning.
DJ GaFFle 12:38 AM - 6 April, 2012
Quote:
*runs and checks for malware on my Mac*

You won't find it.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:06 AM - 6 April, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

You just want another response from me that has nothing to do with this thread. You know damn well there are plenty of other DJs on here that need to be schooled. At least I'm aware that you never stop learning.

Of course you never stop learning. But you see my point though....Cocomotion was like 77 or something, and HOUSE to me started in 1984 with Serious Intention - You Don't Know...
DJ GaFFle 9:23 AM - 6 April, 2012
Quote:
Futhermore, this is going down the road of what I was saying before about them "Being able to throw the switch" at any time.

Now, realtime updates of what you play?

No thanks for this idea. I don't like the idea of big brother seeing what I play, it's too intrusive in my opinion. They could pass some sort of legislation down the road making DJ's pay a extra usage fee or whatever and then have proof that you actually did play them.

Quote:

Oh, and I don't do Whitelabel tracks (no offense Serato), but the music I have MUST be able to be played across different players.

For example, there's no option to listen (in a good bitrate) to those tracks on say a USB stick for an equipped radio while traveling.

And supposed Serato WANTS to flip that switch one day to something you don't like, so you **THINK** you're gonna go to another competitor, (AKA tracktor), I hope ALL of your files aren't Whitelabel...

Y'all gotta start thinking ahead.

I won't touch WhiteLabel tracks for the reasons you listed. THey may have good choices but I like to put new music on my cell or iPod and roll around listening to them (at a feasible sound quality). I appreciate the idea from Serato but it seems like a tool to insure brand loyalty; you've got handcuffs on with those tracks and it's as if you're renting them.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:34 PM - 6 April, 2012
Quote:

No thanks for this idea. I don't like the idea of big brother seeing what I play, it's too intrusive in my opinion. They could pass some sort of legislation down the road making DJ's pay a extra usage fee or whatever and then have proof that you actually did play them.

BOOM. That is a VERY REAL scenario in the future. Again, Digital Watermarks, and how hard would it be to get "LEGIT" record pools and places like iTunes on board?

Not hard at all. Especially if the companies make the initiative and implement the component into the files themselves.

And throw in the same technology that Whitelabel uses for bitrate encryption and stuff? Man listen....we need to take this to a locked forum.

Quote:
I won't touch WhiteLabel tracks for the reasons you listed. THey may have good choices but I like to put new music on my cell or iPod and roll around listening to them (at a feasible sound quality). I appreciate the idea from Serato but it seems like a tool to insure brand loyalty; you've got handcuffs on with those tracks and it's as if you're renting them.

I'm not mad at Serato for doing it, because - it now inconveniences the DJ if/when they want to jump ship. All that TRAKTOR talk? Yeah ok...

YOU'RE NOT SWITCHING, if you have the bulk of your files in Whitelabel format.
nik39 2:35 PM - 6 April, 2012
I don't use whitelabel files Either for the same reason - it would lock me to one software (manufacturer). But I like the idea of collecting real world stats. Saves me time to rate.
DJ GaFFle 3:04 PM - 6 April, 2012
Quote:
... But I like the idea of collecting real world stats. Saves me time to rate.

IRS: Mr. Nik39, you uploaded 140 nightly club playlists from your club's IP address (x.x.x.x) during normal gigging hours, YET, you reported you DJ'd only 62 times for tax year 2012. How do you plea?
Nik39: ...
DJ GaFFle 3:04 PM - 6 April, 2012
(-:
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:59 PM - 6 April, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

IRS: Mr. Nik39, you uploaded 140 nightly club playlists from your club's IP address (x.x.x.x) during normal gigging hours, YET, you reported you DJ'd only 62 times for tax year 2012. How do you plea?

BOOM.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:01 PM - 6 April, 2012
Not to brag, but I'm an IT tech at one of the largest facilities around, and I can tell you...

We collect WAYYYY more data than the average user is led to believe....
nik39 4:44 PM - 6 April, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Honestly... It's fine. Part of the game is that when you earn money you gotta pay all that ish. I'm cool with that. Of course I am not keen to pay taxes when I don't have to... But.. If it has to be... That's okay.
DJ GaFFle 6:12 PM - 6 April, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Honestly... It's fine. Part of the game is that when you earn money you gotta pay all that ish. I'm cool with that. Of course I am not keen to pay taxes when I don't have to... But.. If it has to be... That's okay.

LOL... I'm just saying, there's a whole lot of information out there and I'm trying to curb how much personal stuff I put out. I'm debating on taking down my Facebook page. I already got rid of Myspace a while ago but it seems like it's still lingering. I just unchecked a Google parameter that kept my browsing history cached on their servers. When I went to turn that feature off, I unforked EVERY Google search I ever did while logged into the Google network from all the way back to 2006!!!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:26 PM - 6 April, 2012
Yep, since 2006 - 6 YEARS ago. When I tell you that technology has you PEGGED, I'm not kidding. If you have a cellphone, you're automatically carrying around a personal GPS.

It's a simple as that.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:31 PM - 6 April, 2012
So can you see trying to DISPUTE something?

Me - Nah, that wasn't me at the club DJ'ing, you must be mistaken.

The Man - Well Mr. M, we have GPS coordinates from your cellphone, EZ Pass license info from the toll you paid, a red light photo image of the Stop Light you ran because you were trying to get to the club - IN COLOR, (with a link to the vid if you need to see it in real time), and oh an update on your Mobile Facebook Status saying COME ON DOWN TO CLUB "XYZ", I'm on the 1's and 2's throwing it down, a Whitelabel realtime playist, and a Youtube vid of the night shot by patrons...

Me - ***in my Shaggy voice*** It wasn't me...
nik39 6:49 PM - 6 April, 2012
Quote:
I'm just saying, there's a whole lot of information out there and I'm trying to curb how much personal stuff I put out.

I agree and I totally understand your concerns. Got the same here about privacy. Just saying I wouldn't have a problem if I'd have to transfer my playlists/history to Franchise only (but *only* tracks which have been provided from Franchise).
DJ DisGrace 8:42 PM - 6 April, 2012
Quote:
Me - ***in my Shaggy voice*** It wasn't me...

LOL
DJ Shorty B 7:01 AM - 21 March, 2015
Is there a way you can see what you have already downloaded in Franchise?
ozfrombk 3:56 AM - 23 March, 2015
Quote:
Is there a way you can see what you have already downloaded in Franchise?

good question