Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Itch "Quantize" Function

shaytron 6:23 PM - 30 November, 2011
Please. Please. PLEASE. For the love of Pete, include a sync option that stays in sync when jumping from hotcue to hotcue (or loop to loop). This would make such a difference in the software use and performance for me. It's a little tough getting tricky with the Novation Twitch controller and not having at least an option to stay in sync as you jump around. Isn't breaking up the music and hopping around the track what this controller is kind of about? I understand that some people would want an option to drop hotcues or loops out of sync, but SURELY this has to be the minority of users and situations... right? I can't imagine this being a terribly difficult programming hurdle to jump with a sync function already in use. Hitting "sync" right after jumping with a hotcue is a little ridiculous for a streamlined workflow. Maybe make a "hard" sync that flashes by pushing shift+sync? Then EVERYONE is happy and can have it to use the way they please. Or even a simple quantize box to check in the setup menu? There has to be a way to simply get around this huge speedbump in workflow...
phatbob 7:10 PM - 30 November, 2011
The problem for me is that 50% of the time I would like that feature, and the other 50% I wouldn't.

Unless it could be switched on/off from the main screen, I personally would err towards keeping things the way they are.

If you hit the cues on beat they're generally close enough to staying synced anyway...
djcerla 7:20 PM - 30 November, 2011
+1 on Quantize... I'd go as far as saying it's the whole point of SYNC and beatgrids.
shaytron 7:31 PM - 30 November, 2011
phatbob- I am genuinely curious as to how you use the non-quantised approach so often in your performance. Why would you want things to be off 50% of the time when going from cue to cue?

And true enough; it is close, but it would be nice to hit it and forget it so I could move on to the next task with 100% certainty that I didn't have to go back to the track and baby it at all (especially if I go through the trouble of making accurate beat grids). Don't get me wrong here either, it works well enough, or I wouldn't use Itch. I absolutely love the software, it's just this one thing... soooooo close, yet so far away.
phatbob 8:19 PM - 30 November, 2011
I stab things in a lot, in lieu of being able to scratch on my twitch.

I do agree it would be cool to be able to jump around in the track and keep the beat locked. But I'd need the ability to easily turn it off.
selkie 8:30 PM - 30 November, 2011
Quote:

+1
shaytron 8:34 PM - 30 November, 2011
Quote:
Well done sir.
The functionality of the SP-6 straight from the Twitch (simply hitting shift+hotcue on the fly) in the 2.1 beta is really nice for that exact reason.
Mr. Goodkat 11:23 PM - 3 December, 2011
as it is in TS2. quantize and snap to grid.

itch has the ability to be the best of ts2 and ssl. now do it serato.
Deckgeneral 6:29 PM - 2 February, 2012
quantise could be set in main menu, but turned of perhaps from twitch or console/ keyboard command etc

Perhaps one step further deck A or B could be quantised on or off
Michael R. 8:43 AM - 27 April, 2012
Quote:
I do agree it would be cool to be able to jump around in the track and keep the beat locked. But I'd need the ability to easily turn it off.

I find that ITCH 2.2 has this function always ON!! How can I turn quantize OFF???
The thing is that when there is no beat grid in a track, i cannot search within this track by holding SHIFT key and turning the jog wheel, on my VCI300!!
dj_eddie_gr 12:37 PM - 27 April, 2012
Shift + jog = Beat skip. If there are no beat grids in a track then there is no way for the software to know where it should jump to.
Michael R. 9:13 AM - 28 April, 2012
Correct, dj Eddie, that's what is happening now. It wasn't the case before! I'm pretty sure I could jump across time..
So, what now? No beat grids, no searching within the track?????
dj_eddie_gr 9:28 AM - 28 April, 2012
You can still use your mouse on the waveform... I know it sucks but SERATO is so closed with MIDI... if only they heard us and opened it up someday.... replacing their low quality effects also...
Michael R. 8:22 AM - 29 April, 2012
I still wonder if an "ON / OFF" function is so hard to exist for functions like "Quantization" or "Beat Grids"...
I mean.. what about people who like mixing free style, and never uses that kind of things?
I DO NOT want to use the mouse on the waveform - I want my VCI300 to function like it should. Is that too much to ask?

SERATO, PLEASE HEAR US!!!!!!
phatbob 9:15 AM - 29 April, 2012
Quote:
I still wonder if an "ON / OFF" function is so hard to exist for functions like "Quantization" or "Beat Grids"...

It's in the setup screen. Turn on Simple Sync.
Michael R. 9:16 AM - 29 April, 2012
Gone back to ITCH 2.1:
No quantize function - search by Shift+Jog wheel works like a charm.
Michael R. 9:24 AM - 29 April, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

It's in the setup screen. Turn on Simple Sync.

Thank you, phatbob.
Yes, beat grid can be turned on-off by choosing "Simple sync" or "Smart sync".
Here is a BUG for the VCI300:
Smart sync > beat grids on > search by jog wheel: ok (beats quantized)
Simple sync > beat grids off > search by jog wheel: NOT FUNCTIONING!
Phil G 1:48 PM - 12 September, 2012
This still doesn;t quantize cue points though does it? I mean I cant go button mashing with it staying on beat?
JBoogz 3:22 PM - 12 September, 2012
Quote:
This still doesn;t quantize cue points though does it? I mean I cant go button mashing with it staying on beat?

"You" need to be on beat for that. No quantize or sync option for your own creativity.
Bozo 6:40 PM - 12 September, 2012
They got the techology to make quantize (there is a quantize option with the slicer) the probleme is the hardware on/off button and parameter knob.

have you tried the slip mode/hot cue/hot loop whithout quantize JBoogz ? very unconfortable ^^
JBoogz 6:42 PM - 12 September, 2012
I haven't tried it to be honest. I'll have to check it though.